• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

They had to bus people into Edmonton for that rally since Ezra Levant's stupid call for a rally literally couldn't muster up enough interest locally.

Alberta also isn't hurting like it used to anymore. In fact, the oil companies are having difficulty now finding enough workers.

Where at, may I ask? Edmonton didn't take too much of a hit, but my networks have told me that it's still pretty bad for O&G out there... having said that, the drop in oil prices did take out a lot of the junior/struggling companies and consolidated the market in quite an efficient manner.

This survey invokes the slippery slope more times than I'm comfortable with but I'm not surprised in the least. I'm starting to lose any faith I had in the Liberals desires to actually do something about our wobbly electoral system.

Pedrito

There are so many opportunities to vote in advance nowadays (including multiple days during the weekend). Working on election day is no longer a valid excuse.

SRG01

I got Pragmatist, but I don't understand how this helps electoral reform at all. Is this supposed to identify regional disparities (if any) concerning voting attitudes and concerns?

BeesEight

I got Pragmatist, but I don't understand how this helps electoral reform at all. Is this supposed to identify regional disparities (if any) concerning voting attitudes and concerns?

The cynical part of me thinks that it's them fishing for "proof" that the Canadian people don't actually want electoral reform so they can quietly put the issue to bed.

Alternatively, perhaps the Liberals are desperate to prove that they truly aren't yet ready to govern like we'd been warned.

why doesn't Alberta raise more chickens? seriously. If they are hurting so much on oil, everyone eats chicken.

You can build chicken coops over dried up oil sands land

gabbo

Yeah that's an interestingly worded question... but nothing else on there seemed like that.

I got a Pragmatist.

I think Choice vs Obligation leans a bit that way too.
A lot of these questions are really leading, and I don't like the cynical part of brain pointing out reasons...

Got "Cooperators" - don't want special actions taken to increase representation, in that the government sets quotas or anything, but changing voting system to get more parties in and running fewer white men would be a start, that I don't see as needing special requirements/attention from the government. That's more something the parties themselves need to do

The rest of it, more or less yes is what I'd want. Not sure how I feel about online voting, having seen and used government websites before, they tend to be terrible. I'd rather stick with paper ballots myself.

pr0cs

why doesn't Alberta raise more chickens? seriously. If they are hurting so much on oil, everyone eats chicken.

Because then you have people saying they don't want a smelly noisy chicken farm in their backyard. And chickens aren't going to survive well anywhere near Fort McMurray, not without insane heating costs.
People talk like the oil sands land is some prime real estate. There is nothing there, it is quite literally in the middle of no where. As usual though you have people who know nothing about the place giving advice on why the oil sands should be shut down.

Because then you have people saying they don't want a smelly noisy chicken farm in their backyard. And chickens aren't going to survive well anywhere near Fort McMurray, not without insane heating costs.
People talk like the oil sands land is some prime real estate. There is nothing there, it is quite literally in the middle of no where. As usual though you have people who know nothing about the place giving advice on why the oil sands should be shut down.
solar panel heated chicken coops

I got Guardian...which, considering I'm mostly okay with the current system, sounds about right. I was moderately in favour of internet voting (though I don't know if that actually increases turnout) and strongly in favour of lowering the voting age (getting people into the habit of voting early, and they're more likely to stick with it).

Fun fact: Canada has a chicken deficit. Our chicken farmers don't come anywhere close to meeting Canadians' demand for chicken, so increasing the number of chickens would actually have an economic benefit.

Though putting them in the tarsands obviously wouldn't work at all.

I got Guardian...which, considering I'm mostly okay with the current system, sounds about right. I was moderately in favour of internet voting (though I don't know if that actually increases turnout) and strongly in favour of lowering the voting age (getting people into the habit of voting early, and they're more likely to stick with it).

Fun fact: Canada has a chicken deficit. Our chicken farmers don't come anywhere close to meeting Canadians' demand for chicken, so increasing the number of chickens would actually have an economic benefit.

Though putting them in the tarsands obviously wouldn't work at all.
I was half joking about the location of the coops.

But seriously, we eat lots of chicken.

Liberals have put up that survey on their Facebook Page, the two major emojis are the Laughing Hard Emoji and the Crying Tear Emoji

I liked using a Laughing emoji. The survey is a joke, it is clear that they want the discussion to die but they are being comically bad at pretending to be serious.

Blackhead

Redarse
The cynical part of me thinks that it's them fishing for "proof" that the Canadian people don't actually want electoral reform so they can quietly put the issue to bed.

Alternatively, perhaps the Liberals are desperate to prove that they truly aren't yet ready to govern like we'd been warned.

Or Liberals are trying to justify their preferred choice of electoral reform (probably some weak form of ranked ballots) instead of proportional representation.

Vibranium

Banned
That was a very underwhelming survey, totally manipulative. I think Canadians on the right and left can agree this is pretty bad. The Liberals seem determined to shift things in a certain way, hopefully Nathan Cullen and the NDP keep calling them out. And the Cons, though we know they want FPTP.

orochi91

I got Challenger.
They generally prefer governments that are decisive and are less likely to prioritize compromise with other parties. They usually expect parties to take responsibility for their decisions and for voters to have more ways to influence politics.

Sounds about right.

I hate minority governments; shit takes forever to get done, which is why I'm getting frustrated by these calls for a referendum.

Liberals were given a majority mandate, so they need to use that and pass whatever electoral reform they want (ranked ballots is OK with me).

The CPC rammed through several big bills with little care for what the opposition said, so the Liberals need to put this facade aside and start wielding their powers accordingly.

maharg

idspispopd
Or Liberals are trying to justify their preferred choice of electoral reform (probably some weak form of ranked ballots) instead of proportional representation.

It's really this. But the more people talk about it the less interested they seem in AV, so they're going to have to whack a lot more moles before they get there.

I think they're also trying to hit on things that will allow people who squint really hard to agree they did some kind of significant electoral reform. Mandatory voting, probably. Ignoring, of course, that they didn't say "we'll drive turnout to artificial highs by fining people if they don't vote in 2019!", the said explicitly "2015 will be the last FPTP election!"

BeesEight

Seems a bit backwards the way they're going about it: complain that we need a referendum on the issue, complain that the committee didn't do it's mandate despite the fact they did and complain that they didn't hear back from enough Canadians to justify any changes whatsoever.

Not to mention the Liberal members of the committee trying to argue that instituting reform will just take too much time to have it finished by the next election anyway. Perhaps ranked ballots is their preferred outcome but they're trying to steer people towards it by putting them off reform altogether.

Hence my supposition that maybe they're simply incompetent.

Blackhead

Redarse
I got Challenger.

Sounds about right.

I hate minority governments; shit takes forever to get done, which is why I'm getting frustrated by these calls for a referendum.

Liberals were given a majority mandate, so they need to use that and pass whatever electoral reform they want (ranked ballots is OK with me).

The CPC rammed through several big bills with little care for what the opposition said, so the Liberals need to put this facade aside and start wielding their powers accordingly.

Au contraire, the Liberals were given a mandate based on opposition to the previous CPC government behavior which was willfully disregarding of experts and dissidents. Last week an all-party parliamentary committee recommended Canada adopt a proportional voting system with local representation. The mandate given should lead the Liberals to chose the best option instead of forcing through their preferred pet option

gabbo

What does this mean?

More women and visible minorities being elected to the House, but that it should fall to the government to make it happen through election reform. It still requires all parties to select such candidates, so I don't really see it's value here

More women and visible minorities being elected to the House, but that it should fall to the government to make it happen through election reform. It still requires all parties to select such candidates, so I don't really see it's value here

There have been some proposals to legally mandate parties to have greater gender parity, and also to require greater efforts to have visible minorities as candidates. The problem (for lack of a better word) is that those proposals are in direct conflict with proposals to make nomination battles more open and transparent. The easiest way to achieve gender parity and minority representation is to appoint candidates, but that often means overruling and/or ignoring riding associations, and actively denying (white, male) candidates from running. Personally, I don't have any issues with that, but I can imagine it being contentious in some ridings and for some parties (and it won't help that the media loves a good story about parties "ignoring" their riding associations).

There have been some proposals to legally mandate parties to have greater gender parity, and also to require greater efforts to have visible minorities as candidates. The problem (for lack of a better word) is that those proposals are in direct conflict with proposals to make nomination battles more open and transparent. The easiest way to achieve gender parity and minority representation is to appoint candidates, but that often means overruling and/or ignoring riding associations, and actively denying (white, male) candidates from running. Personally, I don't have any issues with that, but I can imagine it being contentious in some ridings and for some parties (and it won't help that the media loves a good story about parties "ignoring" their riding associations).

this is where MMP could solve that problem, fuck the riding associations. The Party picks who they want as MMP candidates

bremon

Interesting combined programs of Alberta@Noon and BC Almanac on CBC radio regarding pipelines. The "no pipelines" guest, BC Green Party leader, suggested it makes more sense to ship AB crude to eastern Canada across Quebec to be refined there rather than ship crude across BC. Refining in Canada makes sense to me to some extent but it certainly came across as an inflammatory remark. Anyone else listen in? There was some frank talk regarding Trudeau and Notley's views on the environment being disingenuous.

refining within Canada used to be a thing until the Oil Companies themselves shut down their own refineries

East Montreal has tons of ghost refineries that are dormant; courtesy of the Oil Industry who decided to refine them outside of Canada instead,
then sell it back to Canada for a higher cost

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ranked ballot would be a surefire way to keep the Liberal party (the 2nd choice of both hard leftists and conservatives) in power forever, lol. No thanks.

maharg

idspispopd
Interesting combined programs of Alberta@Noon and BC Almanac on CBC radio regarding pipelines. The "no pipelines" guest, BC Green Party leader, suggested it makes more sense to ship AB crude to eastern Canada across Quebec to be refined there rather than ship crude across BC. Refining in Canada makes sense to me to some extent but it certainly came across as an inflammatory remark. Anyone else listen in? There was some frank talk regarding Trudeau and Notley's views on the environment being disingenuous.

I mean, I think everyone who isn't completely opposed to any oil exploration at all would prefer the refining be done in Canada, but the question that then comes up is how do you make that happen? Incentives to bring refining back to Canada would be very very expensive, and I don't think people have much appetite for basically setting up a crown corporation to do it (never mind echoes of NEP).

This is basically the same problem that attempts to bring back every former middle class job (so also manufacturing) in Canada/the US had faces. It can just plain be done cheaper elsewhere and in order to make it happen locally the differential needs to be paid for by someone. That kind of industry support is deeply unpopular, especially when you add in that it's a dirty business.

By comparison, they can't really move the extraction itself.

bremon

Yes, I understand why refining here isn't really done. I understand the BC commentators reasoning; ship fuels etc rather than crude means more jobs and fewer tankers. The "ship it to Quebec" comment reeked of nimbyism though.

O&G has enough financial perks however that tax breaks/subsidies etc for refining here doesn't sound good to me.

bremon

I don't see any problem with this as long as Conservatives are locked out
Aside from parties drifting left or right over time? The liberals of 25 years from now may be unrecognizable to you. Look at the Democrats and Republicans; they've traded policies over time. The Natural Governing Party might grow horns and look completely unnatural lol.

Aside from parties drifting left or right over time? The liberals of 25 years from now may be unrecognizable to you. Look at the Democrats and Republicans; they've traded policies over time. The Natural Governing Party might grow horns and look completely unnatural lol.

0e3.png

Sean C

I'm strongly against that sort of policy. I don't have a problem with the national party recruiting candidates to seek the nomination, or even openly making their preference known (I know some people who think the leaders should stay out of it completely, but I think that's unrealistic and probably not workable since parties need to put together a workable bench of cabinet talent), but the choice must ultimately be with the riding associations, not with leaders.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't see any problem with this as long as Conservatives are locked out
Of course you don't

Are you new to this thread? Gutter_trash is a self-avowed Liberal sycophant, he'd be happy with them being in power forever. Literally forever, without hyperbole.

bremon

Are you new to this thread? Gutter_trash is a self-avowed Liberal sycophant, he'd be happy with them being in power forever. Literally forever, without hyperbole.
I thought the gutter of the election thread was just a character and now that the election is long over there would be a change of tone and the hyperbole and Liberal doses of enthusiasm would diminish a bit. Shame on me I guess lol.

lupinko

So apparently Justin Trudeau made a video game to encourage people to get into coding via Hour of Code....and apparently the game is quite buggy with people complaining about it on Twitter.

Video games are hard, I programmed a version of pacman in college that crashed on the start screen. It was funny because pacman would run across the screen before it crashed like he was saying I'm outta here. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom