• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point the only reason PLQ is still winning is because of vote splitting and non francophone voters. The PLQ corruption never ends and Couillard is a pretty bad PM. His latest speech about the results of the by-election was hilarious I guess he just doesn't want to see the truth. The reason he's winning is that francophone votes are split with CAQ/PQ/QS. In the recent by-election he had pitiful scores in mainly francophone areas.

does anybody really care about byelections? voter-turnout are like worse than half of regular turnout

the Marie-Victorin results proved why Longueuil is a shit hole. 50%+ for a PQ candidate? yark Longueuil dégueux

Just vote QS/PQ/ON and, IF there's a referendum someday, just vote "no". I know it must sting for a federalist, but to me, especially these days, voting liberal because you're afraid you might be ASKED if Quebec should be a country is like burning down your house because you're too afraid a Jehovah's witness might knock at your door someday (weird analogy and I probably infuriated Gutter_trash, but eh).

(and as an independentist, I can't wait for for NPD Québec to exist too.)

As an Anglophone and business owner in Quebec, if any of the other provincial parties want my vote they must first remove the threat of Separation from their policy platform. Until that happens, the Quebec Liberals will continue to earn my vote.

imBask

Banned
I'm not Québécois, but I don't see CAQ and PQ voters intersecting all that much to the point you can say that the vote is being split. Isn't it more likely that sovereigntists (QS/PQ) are a minority of voters to begin with, and the federalist vote, split between PLQ and CAQ, largely breaks for PLQ because of the absence of that nationalist flair and the winks the CAQ gives to sovereigntist at times?

nah I really think CAQ voters are basically old frustrated PQ members, for the most part

EDIT : double post because I don't know how to use the internet in the morning

nah I really think CAQ voters are basically old frustrated PQ members, for the most part

EDIT : double post because I don't know how to use the internet in the morning
There is a HUGE overlap between PQ and CAQ; and that is hardcore white francophone Nationalism.

also the PQ is not an exclusively Left wing party, there are many Right wingers inside the PQ. Lucien Bouchard's reign was the most fiscal conservative Quebec government in modern times. What unites PQ supporters is not Left wingism but it is Separatism. So Right Wing Nationalists who are okay wiht Seperatism can vote for either the PQ or the CAQ to stroke their Nationalistic points of views

Notable alumni in the PQ who leaned more Right include Former Premier Lucien Bouchard, former Education Minister now leader of the CAQ François Legault, former leader and businessman Pierre-Karl Péladeau etc.

the false narrative that the PQ is "only" Left is the same false narrative that the PLQ is only center-right.

lines of Left-Right are blurred heavily in Quebec politics, real blurry. Especially when both PLQ and PQ are Big Government Interventionist parties.

ALL Quebec parties are Big Government Interventionists, LOL

Outside of pipelines and the electoral reform being wishy washy of late, he hasn't done anything to anger the general populous enough to hate his government. It makes some sense
the people who are quick to react to those issues are mostly Left wing people who question Trudeau's Leftness

but they ignore that Canada on average is pretty Centrist overall and that they okay with what they got so far without too much outrage

Pedrito

Viola Desmond will appear on the 10 $ bill. Head to your favorite comments section to hear about the plight of the white male.

No no no, shut up with your defeatist attitude already, it's been a year dammit, have you not gotten over it yet? :p

Besides we need the NDP at the provincial level in Québec already. A proper left-wing federalist party. Yes please.

I wouldn't hold my breath. The right time to launch it would've been in 2011/12, when they were riding high off the federal NDP. Now...all I know is that we had a pretty senior NDPer come talk to one of my Master's classes, and he said that he wished Pierre Ducasse luck in getting a provincial party off the ground, but that he wasn't getting involved in it beyond that. If that's all the help they're getting from the main party, considering how closely intertwined the federal NDP likes to be with its provincial counterparts, I can't see them having a tonne of luck right now.

Viola Desmond will appear on the 10 $ bill. Head to your favorite comments section to hear about the plight of the white male.

meanwhile,

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/p...berpresse_B13b_politique_2275309_section_POS4

Premier Couillard wanted to nominate a Haitian-Canadian woman at the head of the Quebec Human Rights Commission.... members of the two main opposition parties voted against her siting ''«too pro-multiculturalisme »

So Canada does right, putting a visible minority woman on the $20 bill while opposition parties in Quebec block the appointment of Haitian-Canadian woman to the Human Rights Commission

oh yeah I forgot but there was an article about Mulroney calling Trump a true gentleman and praising him. Kinda weird that it didn't make it in this thread

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/canada/486513/mulroney-salue-trump-le-gentleman

I heard his radio interview,

I think it is an intelligent move on his part and Brian Mulroney has no ill will towards Justin Trudeau.
Both Justin Trudeau and Ben Mulroney are friends

Past Prime Ministers like him and Joe Clark wish Trudeau success.

I think Brian Mulroney could be crucial at calming down Donald Trump and convince him to chill out and be more civilized on his approach at dealing with Canada.

maharg

idspispopd

I think it is an intelligent move on his part and Brian Mulroney has no ill will towards Justin Trudeau.

I think Brian Mulroney could be crucial at calming down Donald Trump and convince him to chill out and be more civilized on his approach at dealing with Canada.

This reads like the beginning of a slash fic.

lupinko

meanwhile,

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/p...berpresse_B13b_politique_2275309_section_POS4

Premier Couillard wanted to nominate a Haitian-Canadian woman at the head of the Quebec Human Rights Commission.... members of the two main opposition parties voted against her siting ''«too pro-multiculturalisme »

So Canada does right, putting a visible minority woman on the $20 bill while opposition parties in Quebec block the appointment of Haitian-Canadian woman to the Human Rights Commission

Desmond is getting the $10 bill, not the $20.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Seems like you're misquoting the article. It says the CAQ wasn't opposing, it was only the PQ.

Also wow, fuck off PQ.

imBask

Banned
I think you're ALL misquoting the article

l'avocate issue du ministère fédéral de la Justice est avant tout dans le giron de Dominique Anglade, très « pro-multiculturalisme », a confié une source péquiste.

it's poorly written but I think they mean they want to block her because she's aligned with Dominique Anglade and she's the one that's very « pro-multiculturalisme »... I think

french is my first language and i'm still having trouble reading this phrase correctly, get your shit together Denis Lessard

Azzanadra

I think Trudeau will handle Trump fine, good thing he didn't call him a fascist like Mulcair suggested huh.

Though I wonder how our relations would be if he did...

Reporting from the other thread.

I think it's great that they chose a black woman, but it would have been better if it had been an aboriginal person.

They should put an aboriginal woman on the 20$ bill. Fuck the monarchy.

CazTGG

Now we need an aboriginal person to make them even madder.

Tecumseh on the $20, anyone?

EDIT: QUESTION - Would anyone be opposed to putting Pierre Trudeau on a banknote? It wouldn't be my first choice (see above), i'm just curious to see what everyone else thinks.

I think Trudeau will handle Drumpf fine, good thing he didn't call him a fascist like Mulcair suggested huh.

Though I wonder how our relations would be if he did...

Pretty boy Justin called me a fascist, clearly racist against my German heritage! Wouldn't be where he is without daddy!! Sad!!!

maharg

idspispopd
So, on this (but kind of unrelated to the thrust of it): http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticks-to-script/article33262798/?cmpid=PM1216

“I know, Mr. Speaker, that there are a lot of questions about these issues,” Mr. Trudeau said. “But that is why it makes me happy to reassure Canadians that we indeed have among the strongest political financing rules in the country, which means that Canadians have confidence in the transparency, openness, rigour and accountability of our system, which this party has always followed and always will follow.”

In one sentence, he says he wants to reassure Canadians of something, and then in the next breath insists he *knows* what Canadians think and speaks for all of us. If he already knows we're reassured, why does he need to reassure himself?

Has this kind of structure of political statement always been a thing? I feel like in Canada at least, it was really something introduced in the Harper years that seems to have stuck. I find it extremely frustrating and manipulative language, and I'm disappointed to see Trudeau using it.

bremon

Pretty boy Justin called me a fascist, clearly racist against my German heritage! Wouldn't be where he is without daddy!! Sad!!!
This is gold lol.

On another note, I'm all for minorities being on currency; we should be more inclusive. Laurier staying on money pleases me though. Good guy Wilfrid.

lupinko

The next bill to be replaced is the $5 and of course, after QE2's reign is done, it shouldn't be the monarchy for the $20.

PET would be nice for the $5, and have Tecumseh for the $20.

But the $5 could be someone else like another woman or someone like Bill Reid. Although Bill Reid has been prominent on our money through his works in the past.

bremon

Here's a question regarding the first ministers meeting: does Brad Wall actually believe climate change is a concern for another day or is this just small province posturing from a guy who needs to project a strong image to distract from potential scandals at home?

Pedrito

So, on this (but kind of unrelated to the thrust of it): http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticks-to-script/article33262798/?cmpid=PM1216

In one sentence, he says he wants to reassure Canadians of something, and then in the next breath insists he *knows* what Canadians think and speaks for all of us. If he already knows we're reassured, why does he need to reassure himself?

Has this kind of structure of political statement always been a thing? I feel like in Canada at least, it was really something introduced in the Harper years that seems to have stuck. I find it extremely frustrating and manipulative language, and I'm disappointed to see Trudeau using it.

Well, Trudeau is a pretty shitty public speaker so we can't read too much into the structure of what he says.

But, yeah, the Liberals are big fans of "Canadians want this" and "Canadians think that". The prime example is the "social acceptance" of pipelines that they like to talk about. The people never actually change their mind. It becomes "socially acceptable" when the government decides that it is.

lupinko

Well, Trudeau is a pretty shitty public speaker so we can't read too much into the structure of what he says.

But, yeah, the Liberals are big fans of "Canadians want this" and "Canadians think that". The prime example is the "social acceptance" of pipelines that they like to talk about. The people never actually change their mind. It becomes "socially acceptable" when the government decides that it is.

I think Trudeau is a good speaker when it's in a non traditional format. But yeah in general in a formal setting he has a lot to go to where his dad and other PMs were.

maharg

idspispopd
Here's a question regarding the first ministers meeting: does Brad Wall actually believe climate change is a concern for another day or is this just small province posturing from a guy who needs to project a strong image to distract from potential scandals at home?

Brad Wall is the most popular politician in his jurisdiction in Canada and has been for ages. I don't think he has much reason not to say whatever the fuck he really thinks, SK will elect him for it.

o-PREMIERS-570.jpg

Azzanadra

Brad Wall is the most popular politician in his jurisdiction in Canada and has been for ages. I don't think he has much reason not to say whatever the fuck he really thinks, SK will elect him for it.

o-PREMIERS-570.jpg

I agree with Wynne all the way down there, but I feel like the media has done quite a hit job on Notley, especially the Rebel... then again I don't live in Alberta to maybe someone who does can educate me?

SRG01

There is no way I believe Notley is middle of the pack. Personally if there was an election I can't see her being reelected

I feel like I'm repeating myself in this thread: no poll in the interim period in Alberta for the last decade or so has ever predicted the next government, ever. If that were the case, we'd have Wildrose majorities/supermajorities in every single election.

No party has ever won by campaigning from the right; each majority victory has depended on centrist/center-left progressive votes. If the PCs continue to be rudderless and Wildrose unable to mount an effective opposition, the NDP can and will present themselves as the most capable of all three.

pr0cs

I feel like I'm repeating myself in this thread: .
I'm just stating what I hear around downtown Calgary. I have no idea what the feeling on Notley is in rural Alberta but Notley is despised in the core Calgary.
Once the new pointless carbon taxes come into play next year she'll be even less popular, if that's even possible

maharg

idspispopd
Downtown calgary doesn't like anyone they can't buy.

Notley is definitely no more popular in rural areas than with suits in Calgary, but all things considered the NDP have continued to poll pretty well. Except that one bizzarro poll where they were neck and neck with the Liberals. Need more polls along those lines before I believe it though.

Probably the only thing that matters for the next election is where oil's at in 2 years.

And Alberta's going to have to have a carbon tax or something like it eventually no matter what. There's just no way it isn't going to happen, no matter how pissy Calgary gets.

For reference, polling averages from 308:

AB%2B-%2BRegions.PNG

The outliers are Edmonton for the NDP and rural ridings for the WRP. Neither of which are surprising.

Just vote QS/PQ/ON and, IF there's a referendum someday, just vote "no". I know it must sting for a federalist, but to me, especially these days, voting liberal because you're afraid you might be ASKED if Quebec should be a country is like burning down your house because you're too afraid a Jehovah's witness might knock at your door someday (weird analogy and I probably infuriated Gutter_trash, but eh).

Just the fact of holding a referendum is an excruciating process. Voting for a separatist party is like planning to keep a horse in your backyard and hoping somehow you won't be drowning in horseshit.

bremon

I understand he's popular, but sometimes you need to accept that things need to change and help your constituents come to terms, not be the only premier in the country sharpening a pitchfork.

Those numbers for Wynne though, Jesus.

I'm just stating what I hear around downtown Calgary. I have no idea what the feeling on Notley is in rural Alberta but Notley is despised in the core Calgary.
Once the new pointless carbon taxes come into play next year she'll be even less popular, if that's even possible
Downtown Calgary looked like a ghost town compared to years past when I was there last month. The white collar capital of Alberta oil and gas shedding jobs like crazy looking for a scapegoat found one in Notley. She seems more popular here in Edmonton, unless your main gauge are bumper stickers on jacked up trucks. Frankly, Brian Jean scares me a hell of a lot more than Notley does.

Azih

.so here's your argument in a nutshell:

"Look at how amazing PR is in some countries!"
No, my argument is that there are some glaring, actual, demonstrable problems in Canadian democracies. I'll just limit myself to one because you seem to be ignoring a large list of them.

* The exaggeration of regional differences.

You're not responding with PR shortcomings, you're responding with anecdotes from other countries without showing if they would even apply in the Canadian context or not.

o-PREMIERS-570.jpg

I am so surprised at how high Christy Clark is, especially considering how hard the Libs in BC are getting trashed, especially in regards to the foreign ownership issue.

pr0cs

Downtown Calgary looked like a ghost town compared to years past when I was there last month. The white collar capital of Alberta oil and gas shedding jobs like crazy .
Yep, more layoffs this week. Media likes to say "worse may be behind us" but it's clearly not the case yet, not in Cowtown at any rate.

Gonna be a slim Christmas for a lot of people this year.

No, my argument is that there are some glaring, actual, demonstrable problems in Canadian democracies. I'll just limit myself to one because you seem to be ignoring a large list of them.

* The exaggeration of regional differences.

You're not responding with PR shortcomings, you're responding with anecdotes from other countries without showing if they would even apply in the Canadian context or not.

Speaking of Electoral Reform. TVO had a great discussion on the matter where they brought on the person behind the Ontario Referendum. Andrew Coyne also came out hammering on the problems of FPTP half way through (21:55)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZQFXOcvUDU

bremon

Yep, more layoffs this week. Media likes to say "worse may be behind us" but it's clearly not the case yet, not in Cowtown at any rate.

Gonna be a slim Christmas for a lot of people this year.
Agreed, really sad to see. The unemployment stats for Calgary are very telling. My sister and her family live down there and she was telling me about all the odd-job postings guys have up just looking for a couple bucks to buy presents for their kids. Tough times for sure.

lupinko

Then again both parties in BC are shite. Libs are basically conservatives in a red coat, and the NDP are basically wayward sons after they got trounced so hard in 2013.

The BC Libs basically have federal Liberal, PC and CPC voters. They can maintain it because they occupy a great range of the Centre.

There is no real provincial Grits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom