• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

CazTGG

Video games are hard, I programmed a version of pacman in college that crashed on the start screen. It was funny because pacman would run across the screen before it crashed like he was saying I'm outta here. Lol

Believe me, I know how much effort is required to make even a basic alpha, I made three games (all of them are terrible) back when floppy discs were still an acceptable means of storing data. Off-topic but i've been wanting to make a tactical RPG for a while but I haven't had the time to do much beyond create concepts.

That's not good. I hope it doesn't affect the metacritic score too much. Is there a day-one patch?

No Man's Electoral Reform 1.1 Coming December 18th.

I thought the gutter of the election thread was just a character and now that the election is long over there would be a change of tone and the hyperbole and Liberal doses of enthusiasm would diminish a bit. Shame on me I guess lol.

the NDP comprimisng with separatists and coddling Provincial separatists QS MNAs turns me off completely from them.

Even in 2016, I get a flyer form my NDP MP with pictures of her standing along side QS MNAs. A Federalist MP should not coddle separatists MNAs.

I did voted NDP in 2011 for Jack, but I didn't realize that the Left matters more to the NDP than National Unity. The NDP is ready to put National Unity in jeopardy in the name of preserving the LEFT first.

Never again, I went back home to the Liberals like always did every other election. 2011 was a learning experience. I learned the true nature of the NDP.

for me, National Unity comes before party

Mulcair's 50%+1 crap and his desire to repeal the Clarity Act is inexcusable

Pfft, that survey from the last page is bunk. Got pragmatist, and the write up doesnt at all line up with how I selected things or my personal views.

No government, I don't want mandatory voting or people get fined. It is a choice and a right, not a requirement. You're out of you're mind if you think online voting shouldnt be an option, we live in an online world now. There's no requirement for "special measures" to get more diversity in parliament; if the right person runs and is qualified then they'll get in. That's the entire purpose of voting, and if people don't vote for someone because they were a woman, or a minority or whatever else then I think you have your answer as to what the dumbass voting population wants. Just complete and utter garbage.

I must live in some crazy world where I just clicked on everything entirely contrary to my personal beliefs, because that's the only way this shit makes sense to me.

It looks like brad trost said something recently about that lock her up chant.
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/conservative-leadership-debate-live

I'm *shocked* that someone as totally level-headed and not-at-all-insane as Brad Trost would say something stupid about that. Shocked!

I thought the gutter of the election thread was just a character and now that the election is long over there would be a change of tone and the hyperbole and Liberal doses of enthusiasm would diminish a bit. Shame on me I guess lol.

Sadly, no. Despite the fact he loudly talked about a permaban if Trump won, he's unfortunately still with us.

Wouldn't that force the conservatives to shift to more sensible policies (read: to the left) in order to attract more voters?

Pretty much. In fact, the whole reason the CPC leadership race is by ranked ballot is because they wanted to avoid a race to the far-right (the thinking being that no one will want to antagonize another candidate too much if they're competing to be the second choice of that candidate's supporters). Personally, I'm in favour of how ranked ballots would push everyone towards the middle, but for most PR advocates, that seems to be a bad thing.

I'm strongly against that sort of policy. I don't have a problem with the national party recruiting candidates to seek the nomination, or even openly making their preference known (I know some people who think the leaders should stay out of it completely, but I think that's unrealistic and probably not workable since parties need to put together a workable bench of cabinet talent), but the choice must ultimately be with the riding associations, not with leaders.

It's tough. On the one hand, I agree with you. I think we could change our system and make it substantially more democratic just by taking away the leader's ability to sign nomination papers, so I'm in favour of more autonomous riding associations. On the other hand, though, we need to diversify our political representation, and I don't know how to achieve that except through central parties being a little more heavy-handed and controlling.

Brad Trost lol joinging the ''lock-her up'' crap,
Chris Alexandre made himself look dumb yesterday.

I have analyzed Brad Trost's body language, facial expressions and gestures: the guy is full of himself and is one condescending guy. He reminds me of those snooty fox hunters in those Victorian era movies. LOL Gaston from Beauty and the Beast.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

umvMXE0.png

At least I can say that I'm probably better than the Prime Minister at coding.

Pretty much. In fact, the whole reason the CPC leadership race is by ranked ballot is because they wanted to avoid a race to the far-right (the thinking being that no one will want to antagonize another candidate too much if they're competing to be the second choice of that candidate's supporters). Personally, I'm in favour of how ranked ballots would push everyone towards the middle, but for most PR advocates, that seems to be a bad thing.

Well no, part of the reason why PR Advocates don't like about Ranked Ballots is that it enforces the requirement of big tent parties and forces everybody to the center leaving those only a few points outside of the center SOL. Ultimately what ends up happening is that in an attempt to have those views heard, the more extreme members of society in addition to the leaning moderates will move to doing a takeover of the big tent parties to force their policies through since when the major party inevitably gets in, it will be through a guaranteed majority.

Compare this to PR where extremists can create their own parties and get maybe 5 seats across several parties allowing them to at least share their views and recieve the near zero support they deserve. Now, this is where you mention kingmakers, but within a Canadian proportional system they would be largely irrelevant with smaller parties because we have 3 major parties in this country of which 2 will always find something to coalition off of (Liberals+NDP, Liberals+Conservatives)... with an arguably 4 major parties if we were to see the Conservatives split back into their base elements... leading us to 5-6 potential major coalition groups. This also doesn't count Green which would see itself raise to a proper 15-35 seats and become within the realm of being a minor coalition partner.

umvMXE0.png

At least I can say that I'm probably better than the Prime Minister at coding.

I dunno. He tried. He put it out even though it wasn't great.

When I was new I would have been way too shy to put out something like that.

I don't really think everyone needs to know how to code like a pro but I wish people would take more interest in how computers work. Seeing so many people these days who only know how to use iphone apps and nothing else is seriously depressing.

gabbo

Any of my fellow Quebecers ready for a real change with Rambo Gauthier? lmao
he sounds like an incoherent redneck and conspiracy theorist

''oh, all these immigrants are being funneled in so they can vote Liberal!!!'

but I do hope he unseats that PQ MNA, the less PQ MNAs = the better.

imBask

Banned
he sounds like an incoherent redneck and conspiracy theorist

''oh, all these immigrants are being funneled in so they can vote Liberal!!!'

but I do hope he unseats that PQ MNA, the less PQ MNAs = the better.

i'll say the same thing but for the PLQ, so in a way, we "agree" ;)

imBask

Banned
they are Nationalist and they are anti-Montreal according to their dog whistling (a rich guy calling City people elitists is a joke)

nah you got it all wrong!

Legault is whatever you want him to be he's like modeling clay, he will align with you no matter what your views are! You're left? he's left! you're right? he's right!

He's like the human representation of why people are cynical about politics

firehawk12

Subete no aware

the NDP comprimisng with separatists and coddling Provincial separatists QS MNAs turns me off completely from them.

Even in 2016, I get a flyer form my NDP MP with pictures of her standing along side QS MNAs. A Federalist MP should not coddle separatists MNAs.

I did voted NDP in 2011 for Jack, but I didn't realize that the Left matters more to the NDP than National Unity. The NDP is ready to put National Unity in jeopardy in the name of preserving the LEFT first.

Never again, I went back home to the Liberals like always did every other election. 2011 was a learning experience. I learned the true nature of the NDP.

for me, National Unity comes before party

Mulcair's 50%+1 crap and his desire to repeal the Clarity Act is inexcusable
I was just going to say that it was about the sovereignty question more than anything else but you replied. lol

Now that the NDP are dead, maybe they can stop pretending to pander to Quebec and just be a sad protest party that eventually craters and disappears into oblivion. Heck, I assume the same will happen to the Alberta NDP in the next cycle.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No no no, shut up with your defeatist attitude already, it's been a year dammit, have you not gotten over it yet? :p

Besides we need the NDP at the provincial level in Québec already. A proper left-wing federalist party. Yes please.

No no no, shut up with your defeatist attitude already, it's been a year dammit, have you not gotten over it yet? :p

Besides we need the NDP at the provincial level in Québec already. A proper left-wing federalist party. Yes please.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/p...ition-pour-une-reforme-du-mode-de-scrutin.php

on the subject of Quebec (LOL!), opposition parties want electoral reform now:
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/p...ition-pour-une-reforme-du-mode-de-scrutin.php

but but but there is a slimey catch, they want to keep the same weight that the ''rural'' ridings currently have

LOL so basically these jerks are saying ''city folks, get fucked''

Provincially, I am for Proportional Representation but I am against Ranked Ballots because other parties are horrible.

But Federally, i am okay with Ranked Ballots

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Mulcair "Nick Clegged" the party, so I'm done with the NDP the same way most of Britain's left gave up on the LibDems. I think I'd rather pick between, to put it in South Park terms, a douche and a turd, than to believe in something again just to have my heart crushed once more. lol

I wonder what a federalist left party would do in Quebec though. Presumably they'd feed off both PLQ and PQ, but I wonder why would be the bigger loser in that equation.

Mulcair "Nick Clegged" the party, so I'm done with the NDP the same way most of Britain's left gave up on the LibDems. I think I'd rather pick between, to put it in South Park terms, a douche and a turd, than to believe in something again just to have my heart crushed once more. lol

I wonder what a federalist left party would do in Quebec though. Presumably they'd feed off both PLQ and PQ, but I wonder why would be the bigger loser in that equation.

the PLQ would be the bigger loser because the PQ still is a nationalist and identity party where the PLQ is more muted on those issues

but that the depends if the Provincial NDP would hypothetically stay clear of identity issues and nationalism which is a hard thing to do, even for a Left Winger in Quebec.

Nationalism in Quebec lives strongly in both the Right (CAQ, defunct ADQ, defunct UN) and the Left (PQ, ON, QS).
The PLQ of the 1960s was Center-Left and Nationalist during those times, the PQ is a splintered off faction that broke away from the PLQ in the 1970s.

It is rare, ultra rare to remove nationalism from anything politically in Quebec.

The present PLQ is just the mildest

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So how many people are left wing but vote PLQ anyway because they prefer the politics shift away from the sovereignty question? It does feel like you're kind of screwed with no one to really represent you if you identify with the politics of the PQ or QS but not with their desire for independence.

Pedrito

It's somewhat taboo in Québec to be both a leftist and a federalist. Just look at all the journalists, actors, singers, etc. Most of them are leftists, but either they're seperatist or they keep their mouth shut. That's why I believe it would be hard for a self proclamed federalist NDP Québec to find good candidates, at least outside of Montreal.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's somewhat taboo in Québec to be both a leftist and a federalist. Just look at all the journalists, actors, singers, etc. Most of them are leftists, but either they're seperatist or they keep their mouth shut. That's why I believe it would be hard for a self proclamed federalist NDP Québec to find good candidates, at least outside of Montreal.
I guess I never thought of it, but I wonder how someone like Chantal Hebert would vote in Quebec elections. I guess PLQ by default?

Oh you're such a tease
The NDP were a flash in the pan in Ontario and have been a joke party for the last two decades (losing party status at one point), so I wouldn't be surprised.

I mean, I know even less about Albertan politics than I do about Quebec politics, but I assume the "anger" over the Conservatives is slowly dissipating, particularly since the oil economy is somewhat imploding and people are going to want someone to blame.

Pedrito

I guess I never thought of it, but I wonder how someone like Chantal Hebert would vote in Quebec elections. I guess PLQ by default?

I guess.

Some leftist federalists probably vote QS knowing they'll never be in power so there's no risk of a referendum. That's why the theory that an alliance between the PQ and QS would win an election is bogus IMO. You can't just add their scores. The QS vote wouldn't necessarily go to the PQ.

I'm a nationalist who doesn't like any of the current nationalist parties, except for Option Nationale, though I haven't kept in touch with the party since Aussant left.

Considering the mandate of the PQ is to make Québec a country, they are their own worst enemy. They'll never, ever succeed by keeping hammering identity politics and shutting out immigrants. It would not only make it easier for them to accomplish their goal if they tried to bring in everyone to their cause, but it would be the moral thing to do. But they aren't doing that. Which is why I have never voted for them and probably never will.

The Liberal Party are a bunch of currupt motherfuckers in bed with the mafia.

La CAQ are a bunch of crazy ring-wing opportunists.

QS are a bunch of left-wing opportunists.

Yeah, Québec politics suck.

imBask

Banned
I guess.

Some leftist federalists probably vote QS knowing they'll never be in power so there's no risk of a referendum. That's why the theory that an alliance between the PQ and QS would win an election is bogus IMO. You can't just add their scores. The QS vote wouldn't necessarily go to the PQ.

if QS does ally with the PQ, my usual QS vote will be strongly reconsidered indeed (and my QS vote is already shaky)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess.

Yeah, I can see that. I remember reading party platforms during the last Quebec election and thinking that I would probably vote QS if I lived in Quebec. It's basically a protest vote at that point, since you don't really have any other option.

Kyuur

Re: diversification, wondering what people's opinions were on the new petrochemical plants slated to be built in Alberta. The approach seems good to me, although I don't know much about the specific industry. Whenever diversification is mentioned people go "into what?" and expanding existing sectors like this is definitely a better answer than pie-in-the-sky dreams to convert areas into completely different industries within the timespan of an average voter.

Chantal Hébert is a Franco-Ontarian, her upbringing is a bridge between both Provinces and she is really knowledgeable on many issues and their complexities.

She sees many zones of grey that other pundits on At Issue don't see
Yeah, I can see that. I remember reading party platforms during the last Quebec election and thinking that I would probably vote QS if I lived in Quebec. It's basically a protest vote at that point, since you don't really have any other option.
I strategically voted QS one time to oust a PQ constitutionalist and it worked, LOL.

yeah, I live on the Plateau :p

the only time that my PLQ vote counted was when I lived in Brossard for 2 years

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Guess most of us are still sucking down the Kool Aid apparently
Justin Trudeau's Liberals continue to enjoy more support today than they did in the 2015 federal election and have yet to see their poll numbers take a negative turn. But as the government enters the second year of its four-year mandate, it's making decisions that have the potential to disappoint some of its new supporters.

Over the last quarter, the Liberals have averaged 47.9 per cent support in national polls, a marginal gain over the previous quarter but up 8.4 points compared to election night. The Conservatives have averaged 28.7 per cent, down 3.2 points from the election, while the New Democrats have slipped 7.1 points to just 12.6 per cent support nationwide.

While the shifts in support since the previous quarter are insignificant, they are nonetheless consistent. The Conservatives have nudged downwards in two quarters and this is the fourth consecutive quarter in which support for the NDP has dropped. The Liberals have been the beneficiaries, as they have made gains in every quarter since last year's election.

The lack of a permanent leader in three of the four opposition parties — Elizabeth May of the Green Party is the sole exception — could be making things easier for the Liberals, but it's not a given that leaderless opposition parties always take a big hit in the polls.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Just vote QS/PQ/ON and, IF there's a referendum someday, just vote "no". I know it must sting for a federalist, but to me, especially these days, voting liberal because you're afraid you might be ASKED if Quebec should be a country is like burning down your house because you're too afraid a Jehovah's witness might knock at your door someday (weird analogy and I probably infuriated Gutter_trash, but eh).

(and as an independentist, I can't wait for for NPD Québec to exist too.)

Pedrito

Considering that the budget is in the black and that the unemployment rate is at an historic low, I can't even imagine how hated the PLQ would be if the economic situation was like in Alberta (or most other provinces really...).

Vamphuntr

At this point the only reason PLQ is still winning is because of vote splitting and non francophone voters. The PLQ corruption never ends and Couillard is a pretty bad PM. His latest speech about the results of the by-election was hilarious I guess he just doesn't want to see the truth. The reason he's winning is that francophone votes are split with CAQ/PQ/QS. In the recent by-election he had pitiful scores in mainly francophone areas.

At this point the only reason PLQ is still winning is because of vote splitting and non francophone voters. The PLQ corruption never ends and Couillard is a pretty bad PM. His latest speech about the results of the by-election was hilarious I guess he just doesn't want to see the truth. The reason he's winning is that francophone votes are split with CAQ/PQ/QS. In the recent by-election he had pitiful scores in mainly francophone areas.

I'm not Québécois, but I don't see CAQ and PQ voters intersecting all that much to the point you can say that the vote is being split. Isn't it more likely that sovereigntists (QS/PQ) are a minority of voters to begin with, and the federalist vote, split between PLQ and CAQ, largely breaks for PLQ because of the absence of that nationalist flair and the winks the CAQ gives to sovereigntist at times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom