• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razorskin

----- ------
This is a really frightening situation that needs to be taken seriously. Trudeau really needs to push electoral reform through. Is there someone I can write to about this?
Write to your local mathematician so he can clear things up for the federal government.

imBask

Banned
Jack Layton looked like a bald badger. He was a lot of things but handsome was not one of them.

HOW DARE YOU

the-layton-jack-layton-famous-mustache.jpg

LOOK AT IT

If the election is a two-way fight between the Liberals and Conservatives, the Liberals should win out. The people who don't want that would be the NDP, because their base abandons them in order to stop the CPC from forming government.

As for the O'Leary part of the poll: the key number is that they spoke to 111 respondents who claim to be CPC members. Just like the last poll where approximately 65 CPC members responded, the numbers are useless, since we don't know the geographic breakdown. I don't dispute that O'Leary jumps into the race as someone with name recognition (albeit with no money, organization, or memberships sold), but Forum's numbers -- which is iffy even at the best of times -- are basically meaningless.

Trudeau should do more grassroots handshakings and local BBQs stuff. Earthy people love that stuff and grow loyalty and fondness from human touches. It's how Ford had such a loyal following despite being such a screwup.
My cousin who is a social worker that works in Ford's old district says so many people there are loyal to him because he showed his face around and was chummy.
People don't care about "systematic" changes. The "system" and its failings and successes are abstract and cold and inhuman. They need human touch and presence. Show up and help fix a broken sink or two. People will love you thinking they can win the lottery one day and get a personal visit. That kind of thing builds loyalty even if it's "inefficient" and based on irrational feelings.

I think this nails it. Ford kept winning because people knew him and believed he was authentic. Knocking on doors and meeting people helps a lot, and it's severely underrated. If O'Leary does win the CPC leadership -- which I maintain is still a longshot -- I very much doubt that he's willing to put in the work going to community BBQs and coffee shops and seniors residences out in the middle of nowhere. It doesn't have the same glamour as going on Fox and CNN live from Fort Lauderdale, but it's the necessary work that has to be done. There's no reason to believe O'Leary understands that, let alone that he's willing to do it.

Prax

Trudeau is very lucky he is a cute white boy.
Please let most people be shallow enough to vote for him based on that if they become "undecided".

CazTGG

I think this nails it. Ford kept winning because people knew him and believed he was authentic. Knocking on doors and meeting people helps a lot, and it's severely underrated. If O'Leary does win the CPC leadership -- which I maintain is still a longshot -- I very much doubt that he's willing to put in the work going to community BBQs and coffee shops and seniors residences out in the middle of nowhere. It doesn't have the same glamour as going on Fox and CNN live from Fort Lauderdale, but it's the necessary work that has to be done. There's no reason to believe O'Leary understands that, let alone that he's willing to do it.

Pretty much. His campaign was all about "fighting for the little guy to stop the gravy train as a political outsider" despite being a former councillor of Toronto who came from a rich family. People to this day remember Ford more for his football antics and for smoking crack than they do that time he said that "the Asians are taking over because they work like dogs" or him accumulating about 800,000,000.00 more in debt for Torontonians to pay off in the coming decades. That said, I imagine O'Leary could take advantage of this with a campaign along the lines of 'I'm coming back to take Canada back" as a means of presenting himself as an outsider given he's been living in Boston for some time now. Whether or not that would work is unclear since the obvious response is "you didn't even consider Canada good enough to live in, what makes you think that you should run it?"

As an aside, Rob's campaign manager just so happens to be working for Kellie Leitch, hence why she's been using similar language in regards to "draining the canal/decrying the liberal elite establishment"...doesn't explain why she started tweeting like Trump but I digress.

Ok, that's enough.

How do I sign up for a membership in the conservative party so I can vote against this guy?

You can do it through their site. Alternatively, if you're signing up for a specific candidate, sign up through their site - they may delay registering you with the party for awhile, since they won't want other candidates to get your contact info. You'll get to vote, but it'll cut down on the campaigning directed at you.

Prax

I like my mailman and he still has a route,

no way am I going to get Conservative mail enter my mailbox to see my mailman's face sad

Just tell him you're playing the system. lol

Even I'm tempted to sign up, but I don't want CPC mail or phonecalls. :lc
How much weight does a Toronto vote have?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Remember guys please join the Conservative party and vote against these crazies. It is for the greater good. Maybe we can all help push the party a little more moderate.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So we're all freaking out about what happened in the US because of a "Pied Piper" strategy to elevate a "beatable" candidate, combined with a lack of Democratic focus in key states... and the inoculation to this is to focus on the Tories by joining their party and doing the same thing?

People should focus on supporting their own parties and making issues the #1 concern, and spend less time arguing about the merits of, and giving coverage to, reality TV stars.

O'Leary's candidacy depends on this whole right wing shift still being applicable in almost 3 years. If Trump remains as unpopular as he is now, Leitch and O'Leary will be DOA by next election. Canada's system and demographics are completely different than the US.

imBask

Banned
the US had just elected the first black president... twice. and Clinton was about to be the first women president without a doubt in anyones mind

stop pushing O'Leary aside trying to justify how he's going to lose and how different we are from them. We are but anything is possible right now, take lessons from what just happened instead of being in denial

jstripes

Banned
Pretty much. His campaign was all about "fighting for the little guy to stop the gravy train as a political outsider" despite being a former councillor of Toronto who came from a rich family. People to this day remember Ford more for his football antics and for smoking crack than they do that time he said that "the Asians are taking over because they work like dogs" or him accumulating about 800,000,000.00 more in debt for Torontonians to pay off in the coming decades. That said, I imagine O'Leary could take advantage of this with a campaign along the lines of 'I'm coming back to take Canada back" as a means of presenting himself as an outsider given he's been living in Boston for some time now. Whether or not that would work is unclear since the obvious response is "you didn't even consider Canada good enough to live in, what makes you think that you should run it?"

As an aside, Rob's campaign manager just so happens to be working for Kellie Leitch, hence why she's been using similar language in regards to "draining the canal/decrying the liberal elite establishment"...doesn't explain why she started tweeting like Trump but I digress.

"Kevin O'Leary... just visiting."

NetMapel

So we're all freaking out about what happened in the US because of a "Pied Piper" strategy to elevate a "beatable" candidate, combined with a lack of Democratic focus in key states... and the inoculation to this is to focus on the Tories by joining their party and doing the same thing?

People should focus on supporting their own parties and making issues the #1 concern, and spend less time arguing about the merits of, and giving coverage to, reality TV stars.
Oh no no no I ain't voting for crazies. I'm talking people like maybe Chong who actually believes in climate change and all that. Moderate the Conservative party should be a goal.

Vibranium

Banned
Hey if Trudeau wants to live, he could seriously look at electoral reform, that always helps.

If worst case scenario O'Leary wins and becomes PM I don't see him getting a majority government like Harper thankfully. Anyways in the meantime, go Michael Chong.

the US had just elected the first black president... twice. and Clinton was about to be the first women president without a doubt in anyones mind

stop pushing O'Leary aside trying to justify how he's going to lose and how different we are from them. We are but anything is possible right now, take lessons from what just happened instead of being in denial

No one is in denial. And no is justifying how how he's going to lose.

The point is that there are so many variables in play that its completely stupid to already have a defeatist attitude at this point. People need to be realistic and think logically.

If people want to keep a progressive agenda, then start by promoting scientific facts and present data driven arguments to your peers. More informed people mean less chance of these people being elected.

Clov

Yep, this right here. I never thought that Americans would elect Trump, and then it happened. We have to look at what went wrong to prevent something similar happening to our own country. I'm very scared of that possibility, to be honest.

NetMapel

I went to Chong's website and saw his tax plan.

arwCZju.jpg

2 tax brackets? Really? I mean it'd be good for me because I pay less tax but a huge loss in federal income tax revenue. How will that fund our social programs and so on? He is also referencing Fraser Institute for spending cut. That's kind of worrying.

Oh, and he also wants to privatize the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC). He says that will get banks to invest more in riskier small and medium businesses than safe housing mortgage. Curious point about that and I wonder if it'll be effective.

antibolo

Banned
Hello, first time I come in this thread.

Glad to see many of my fellow citizens are not very warm to O'Leary. Oh god, I don't want to see that asshole on the political stage ever. Hopefully the Conservative Party will do the right thing (hahaha one might hope).

imBask

Banned
No one is in denial. And no is justifying how how he's going to lose.

The point is that there are so many variables in play that its completely stupid to already have a defeatist attitude at this point. People need to be realistic and think logically.

If people want to keep a progressive agenda, then start by promoting scientific facts and present data driven arguments to your peers. More informed people mean less chance of these people being elected.

blah I get ya, I don't wanna sound too defeatist or alarmist, complacency played a huge role in the US and I just feel like it's super dangerous to just ignore it

CazTGG

Hello, first time I come in this thread.

Glad to see many of my fellow citizens are not very warm to O'Leary. Oh god, I don't want to see that asshole on the political stage ever. Hopefully the Conservative Party will do the right thing (hahaha one might hope).

ANECTDOTAL: Considering most conservative-leaning voters I know summarize him as "I like him, he's a good businessman", i'm not holding out on much hope. Quebec may be an obstacle for him and Leitch but Ontario will certainly welcome Federal Rob Ford if given the chance.

We can be critical of all five of the major parties in regards to issues like climate change, indigenous rights, etc. while being active in the ongoing leadership of the CPC and NDP because it's entirely possible for the CPC to take power depending on how things go for the LPC in the next few years. We can take Kevin O'Leary seriously and need to not underestimate him because "that could never happen in Canada" is simply untrue. We can ensure that, even if it's a party we're ideologically opposed to, that the best candidate for that party is nominated and not gamble on a Leitch, O'Leary, Raitt, etc. lead Conservative Party.

NetMapel

Bumping this for new page...

I went to Chong's website and saw his tax plan.

arwCZju.jpg

2 tax brackets? Really? I mean it'd be good for me because I pay less tax but a huge loss in federal income tax revenue. How will that fund our social programs and so on? He is also referencing Fraser Institute for spending cut. That's kind of worrying.

Oh, and he also wants to privatize the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC). He says that will get banks to invest more in riskier small and medium businesses than safe housing mortgage. Curious point about that and I wonder if it'll be effective.

Right here is how (Do so before March 28th, the vote is on May 2017)

You can do it through their site. Alternatively, if you're signing up for a specific candidate, sign up through their site - they may delay registering you with the party for awhile, since they won't want other candidates to get your contact info. You'll get to vote, but it'll cut down on the campaigning directed at you.

So who is the least worst of the CPC candidates, and who has the best chances of winning? I want to vote for someone who stands a chance. I don't want my vote to be wasted.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And i can see it happening again.
Not really, basically without Layton, they all went Liberal. The fact that Chow couldn't win, admittedly in her redistrubted riding, kind of affirms that.

Although I kind of wish the NDP was really done so we could just live in a sad reality of two party politics and focus our efforts in choosing the lesser of two evils, I guess I can't really say they're dead until we know who they pick as leader. I almost want to get an NDP membership to vote, but part of me knows that's like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom