• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo60

Watching everything in the US turning to shit in a matter of days, I have to laugh at how hard we were on Stevie for things like closing a lake research center and getting rid of the census. We really have it easy when it comes to politics.

Stephen Harper was at least a competent leader*even though he was awful) and did not really care about social issues much. Also, unlike trump and the GOP his party actually tried to appeal to minority voters.

djkimothy

Stephen Harper was at least a competent leader*even though he was awful) and did not really care about social issues much. Also, unlike trump and the GOP his party actually tried to appeal to minority voters.

I thought he also made in roads into the immigrant community. Which is baffling why Leitch is taking the route she's taking and could potentially harm those gains. but I feel like O'leary took a lot of the oxygen away from her, and is the guy to watch.

CazTGG

I thought he also made in roads into the immigrant community. Which is baffling why Leitch is taking the route she's taking and could potentially harm those gains. but I feel like O'leary took a lot of the oxygen away from her, and is the guy to watch.

No, he didn't.
Leitch is far worse with her screening policy, but let's not pretend like Harper didn't take a hatchet and swing away at Canada's previous methods of treatment of immigrants and refugees. If we're going to go through the "Remember Harper ?" phase so soon, let's at least be realistic with his accomplishments: He got rid of the penny and united Canada's right-wing. That is the extent to his positive accomplishments. He only looks competent because we're seeing how much worse off we could have been if the CPC had or will have a leader with the same mindset as Mr. Mattress. He was terrible and remains the worst Prime Minister to form a government in my minuscule lifetime.

Vibranium

Banned

O'Leary is at least still better than Leitch. Picking out of two poisons, I'd take him over her every day of the week.

Imagine if Bernier won, gutter's reaction would be something.

O'Leary is at least still better than Leitch. Picking out of two poisons, I'd take him over her every day of the week.

Imagine if Bernier won, gutter's reaction would be something.

It would be amazing

maxime-bernier.png

Kifimbo

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that particular photo is photoshopped, but he did show up at another disaster with those.

It is shopped. The real one is above. He visited our soldiers in Afghanistan and he brought these cakes because: 1) they are manufactured in his riding; 2) because they are well-known to almost everyone in Quebec. Those are facts.

Bernier claimed some soldiers from Quebec asked him to bring some cakes. As far as I know, this was never proved or disproved.

I never understood why it became a big deal and people concluded Bernier was dumb because of this gesture. Sure, it was cheesy, but it was so fucking harmless.

I thought it was a photoshop at first. But then I vaguely remembered something about distributing Jos Louis cakes in Afghanistan, and... yep, this happened (forgot Bernier was involved):

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/c...an-l-armee-a-mal-digere-l-operation-jos-louis

Edit: yes, killer rin is correct, it's a photoshop, but here's the real pic which is barely less dumb:

image.jpg

it was one of a series of photoshop spoofs of people making fun of him for distributing Jos. Louis cakes to our vets, using it as a photop opportuinty to promote a local business from his riding

Zips

Watching everything in the US turning to shit in a matter of days, I have to laugh at how hard we were on Stevie for things like closing a lake research center and getting rid of the census. We really have it easy when it comes to politics.

Harper was a massive danger because he continued to chip away at the things that keeps Canada from being the giant mess the U.S. has become. I remember it being under him that questions of how Canada could afford to keep universal health care, and whether it might be better to privatize started popping up. I haven't heard any murmuring talk of that since he's been gone.

People have to stop looking at the absence of sudden rapid changes like what Trump is now doing, and thinking everything must be fine. It's a never-ending tug of war where one side starts to gain ground way before things all fall apart. As a country with established left-leaning pillars, Harper could only slowly try to chip away at what was there and slowly shift things to the right. Continue with people like him, and maybe 10-30 years down the line Canada will be where the U.S. is.

I remember it being under him that questions of how Canada could afford to keep universal health care, and whether it might be better to privatize started popping up. I haven't heard any murmuring talk of that since he's been gone.

People have been talking about this since the 90s

Harper was a massive danger because he continued to chip away at the things that keeps Canada from being the giant mess the U.S. has become. I remember it being under him that questions of how Canada could afford to keep universal health care, and whether it might be better to privatize started popping up. I haven't heard any murmuring talk of that since he's been gone.

People have to stop looking at the absence of sudden rapid changes like what Trump is now doing, and thinking everything must be fine. It's a never-ending tug of war where one side starts to gain ground way before things all fall apart. As a country with established left-leaning pillars, Harper could only slowly try to chip away at what was there and slowly shift things to the right. Continue with people like him, and maybe 10-30 years down the line Canada will be where the U.S. is.

This is so money.

It's 100% about who wants it more, and it's decided by votes. I'll never understand those who shirk the immense responsibility, especially if they complain after about how the country doesn't represent them.

Like with everything, if you want change, you've gotta work for it. The bigger the change, the more work it needs I.e. Creating your own awareness and contributing to political activity in your own spheres of influence.

Pachinko

The Rebel is sustaining itself pretty well right now.

I mean it is , but where is the base ? Southern Saskatchewan and most of rural alberta. The same place the backwards idiots always live.

My worry though, being an Albertan that's suffered most of his life under Conservative idiocy, is that the NDP being elected wasn't some miraculous change of heart, it was something that happened out of spite. In other words, I feel like most of the people that voted orange a couple years ago here are just as likely to kick them out in a couple of years. With the Albertan right be courted by the most horrible of candidates (Jason Kenney) I fear a re-invigorated party full of racist bigoted assholes will squeak back into power.

I'm much less worried about it happening federally. I mean, Harper only got in there by the skin of his teeth after 3 rapid fire elections in what felt like 6 months (it was closer to 4 years) and he knew it wasn't going to last so he did as much damage as he possibly could to maintain that power right down to just about the last day he could stick around. There are enough viable parties in Canada that it's difficult to gain a large majority , especially for right wing extremists like that eggheaded moron Kevin O'leary.

There's really no ground to gain for conservatives in Canada , Alberta and Saskatchewan are already as conservative as possible and I just don't see that line of thinking rising in southern Ontario or Quebec again.

I mean, there is one exception that I fear - that is , if the Liberals in power do something legitimately "bad" like they got stuck doing at the end of the Chretien era. Even still, last time we got 2 minority governments out of it while parties restructured themselves.

Zips

People have been talking about this since the 90s

I'm sure they have, and I'm sure the question will always be there. The real question is whether it is kept in the background, or is brought into the main light with serious challenges to the system. That is the direction people like Harper would pull the country towards.

Listen more closely then. We're very, very lucky that Harper was an incrementalist instead of a radical. He had the same goals as his GOP counterparts, and he clearly took steps in that direction whever possible, but he also wanted to build a durable electoral coalition and knew that being overtly radical wouldn't have gone over well. For all the damage he caused to this country -- which we won't fully understand for years, because things like his court appointments will take awhile to fully unveil their awfulness -- it could've been much, much worse.

Zips

Listen more closely then. We're very, very lucky that Harper was an incrementalist instead of a radical. He had the same goals as his GOP counterparts, and he clearly took steps in that direction whever possible, but he also wanted to build a durable electoral coalition and knew that being overtly radical wouldn't have gone over well. For all the damage he caused to this country -- which we won't fully understand for years, because things like his court appointments will take awhile to fully unveil their awfulness -- it could've been much, much worse.

A private citizen challenging it vs. support from the highest heights of government to move towards. There's a big difference. Your example shows like how I said the question will always be there.

Everything moves incrementally, until like shifting tectonic plates it snaps and you get someone more radical that pulls hard on established vulnerabilities.

I'm sure they have, and I'm sure the question will always be there. The real question is whether it is kept in the background, or is brought into the main light with serious challenges to the system. That is the direction people like Harper would pull the country towards.

It was actually louder before Harper got in than when he was in, to my recollection.

Zips

It was actually louder before Harper got in than when he was in, to my recollection.

I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. Universal Health Care is one of the major pillars of Canada, I think, so it's not going to topple overnight.

Regardless of the subject you guys want to focus on, my point is that successive politicians and political parties will pull the country in particular directions. Keep the Right wing/Conservatives in power in Canada for long enough, we'll see when they get to seriously challenging UHC.

pr0cs

My worry though, being an Albertan that's suffered most of his life under Conservative idiocy, is that the NDP being elected wasn't some miraculous change of heart, it was something that happened out of spite. In other words, I feel like most of the people that voted orange a couple years ago here are just as likely to kick them out in a couple of years.
There is no way NDP will make a second term. People voted for a change and at that time,like the federal election,it turned out to be anyone but conservatives.
The NDP have done their best to bungle and alienate the population here in the province. If there was an election tomorrow they'd be out. They have time to turn things around but I don't expect they will

Except the courts are where decisions can be made incredibly quickly, regardless of political will. In 1999, Parliament voted against same-sex marriage by a pretty significant margin, and in line with popular sentiment. It took less than a decade for courts to completely reverse all that -- the initial SCC decision that helped push us towards marriage equality was from that same year, and it was an Ontario court ruling that turned the tide completely just a few years later. Physician-assisted dying also moved pretty quickly, entirely because the courts pushed it that way. Just because no politician wants to touch it, it doesn't mean that no court will -- and even if they've generally been a force for progress, Harper was appointing conservative judges for a decade, so they're out there setting precedents.

fin

I mean it is , but where is the base ? Southern Saskatchewan and most of rural alberta. The same place the backwards idiots always live.

My worry though, being an Albertan that's suffered most of his life under Conservative idiocy...

If you suffered in Alberta in the last 25 years you're doing something wrong. Alberta provided work in all sectors to people from all over the country.

The last 12 years in Saskatchewan has been good too. But iirc Saskatchewan lost 10300 jobs in december! It's very grim. And Trudeau's attitude towards the west pisses me off. He talks from his high horse looking down on the people from the west.

https://youtu.be/PrLqz5ftJ7Q

Like how does saying something like that make sense?

Oil is picking up again and we're going to be in another cycle soon (maybe). Neither party is providing any sort of alternative to the oilsands that I know of. But I'm a backwards idiot from Saskatchewan...

diaspora

If you suffered in Alberta in the last 25 years you're doing something wrong. Alberta provided work in all sectors to people from all over the country.

The last 12 years in Saskatchewan has been good too. But iirc Saskatchewan lost 10300 jobs in december! It's very grim. And Trudeau's attitude towards the west pisses me off. He talks from his high horse looking down on the people from the west.

Oil is picking up again and we're going to be in another cycle soon (maybe). Neither party is providing any sort of alternative to the oilsands that I know of. But I'm a backwards idiot from Saskatchewan...

There's a very good chance that oil drops in price soon.

edit: And Trudeau signed on for Keystone, what more do you want him to do?

fin

There's a very good chance that oil drops in price soon.

edit: And Trudeau signed on for Keystone, what more do you want him to do?

I'm not bitching about black balling oil. I'm bitching about there's no alternative and no transition plan to a sustainable solution that brings jobs back.

Trudeau can't win on oil from the Left and from the Right

the Left whines that he is the status-quo and pro-oil

the Rhight whines that he doesn't do enough for the "West" and is anti-oil

seriously, no win scenario.

Keystone will happen and Westerners will still bitch and moan

Westerners are officially bigger whiners than Quebecers

Abelard

Torontonian here: The Rebel is exceptionally popular with the youth, I have some friends on the UofT campus and they tell me how the whole Peterson incident has given rise to the silent alt-right on campus, heck that Lauren Southern has been there a few times and I'm told her nd her and Gavin McInnes are becoming household names among that demographic. Of course, this is purely anecdotal but I do think that even soft c Conservatives and those who have never been politically involved are switching their views to align with what they perceive to be against the establishment and "the power". Of course this is a worrying trend, I aint going back to live in the US for a while now because of Trump, so I rather not Canada go to shit as well.

Also, purely unrelated but remember when the Globe and Mail endorsed the Tories (but without Harper) in 2015? Did we ever figure why that was? Because I have been for the longest time under the impression they are generally left wing or centrist in their views.

diaspora

Torontonian here: The Rebel is exceptionally popular with the youth, I have some friends on the UofT campus and they tell me how the whole Peterson incident has given rise to the silent alt-right on campus, heck that Lauren Southern has been there a few times I'm told and her and Gavin McInnes are becoming household names among that demographic. Of course, this is purely anecdotal but I do think that even soft c Conservatives and those who have never been politically involved are switching their views to align with what they perceive to be against the establishment and "the power". Of course this is a worrying trend, I aint going back to live in the US for a while now because of Trump, so I rather not Canada go to shit as well.

Also, purely unrelated but remember when the Globe and Mail endorsed the Tories (but without Harper) in 2015? Did we ever figure why that was? Because I have been for the longest time under the impression they are generally left wing or centrist in their views.
The globe has generally been centre-right. They endorsed the tories sans Harper because they're on a quest to be as big of a joke as NatPo.

Speaking of NatPo, anyone want to take bets on how much longer they can survive, because they strike me as a zombie company and publication at this point.

https://youtu.be/PrLqz5ftJ7Q

Like how does saying something like that make sense?

I agree that there needs to be a comprehensive plan to deal with the effects of the transition away from oil (and automation).

Oil isn't going to disappear tomorrow, but long term I think the writing is on the wall (no matter what any political party, or country says) with the hard focus on renewables by the largest countries in the world, microgeneration and the advent of alternative fuels/energy for transportation.

I don't really understand your comment about Trudeau's attitude towards the west. The west should be thinking of incremental transition, not delaying the inevitable. It's time to innovate and be creative about thinking of solutions to what is going to be a huge problem; I have yet to see anyone from the CPC even propose forward thinking ideas.

pr0cs

Keystone is late and only went through because the orange pariah pushed it through not because Trudeau had anything to do with it. Westerners bitch because the economy is in shambles and we get more taxes and idiocy like "phasing out" oil sands commentary instead of support and understanding from Trudeau and his ilk.
People were more than happy to see the money roll in(and not just the west) when times were good but now that things are dire we're whiners.. interesting.

Keystone is late and only went through because the orange pariah pushed it through not because Trudeau had anything to do with it. Westerners bitch because the economy is in shambles and we get more taxes and idiocy like "phasing out" oil sands commentary instead of support and understanding from Trudeau and his ilk.
People were more than happy to see the money roll in(and not just the west) when times were good but now that things are dire we're whiners.. interesting.

Keystone is late because of Obama!!! not Trudeau

Justin is probably the most Pro-Oil Liberal PM just to make you guys happy... but you will never be happy

he walks on eggshells when using words because he doesn't want to piss off the Left nor piss of the Right but in the end, he is pro-oil

diaspora

Keystone went through because Trudeau pushed to keep it alive and because cheeto Benito approved it. I can also guarantee that nobody in manufacturing or other industries like film/entertainment were particularly pleased with a strong petro-dollar.

edit: The economy is in shambles? What?

Harper himself signed onto the phasing out of oil, along with the rest of the G7. Add in countries like China and India, who are quickly implementing systems that will eventually transition their economy from being powered by fossil fuels, and denying the eventual long term phase-out amounts to willful ignorance.

The CPC are sticking with old ideas of focusing their efforts on oil money, when we should be thinking of how Canada should be a global leader in the new economy. What better time for Canada to lead when you have a lunatic running the US, and oil is in the shitter.

diaspora

IIRC economic growth was projected to be a tepid 1.1% in 2016 to a larger 2%+ in 2017, and closer to sub-3% in 2018. I get people want to point to the oil industry as the reason but more than that it's been the quieter housing market and weaker manufacturing thanks to the imploding peso. A stronger oil price of which is largely outside of the hands of the Canadian and provincial governments wouldn't address these issues. Like, Trudeau approved keystone and some pipelines already, short of that I don't know what anyone else could want from him as far as the petro-dollar is concerned; if you want the heydey of Albertan oil back go yell at OPEC.

What are the odds of Trudeau condemning Trumps actions for this ban? I feel he needs to..

Mulcair came out and called Trump a Fascist yesterday... though unfortunately Trudeau has to be "diplomatic" if he doesn't want to fuck over Canada with president golden showers running the show.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
What are the odds of Trudeau condemning Trumps actions for this ban? I feel he needs to..

Mulcair came out and called Trump a Fascist yesterday... though unfortunately Trudeau has to be "diplomatic" if he doesn't want to fuck over Canada with president golden showers running the show.

While I can see that Trudeau will stay quiet to not worsen relations, I also feel like EVERY country leader has to come out and speak out against Trump. If it hurts US GOP congressmen backpockets that's the ONLY way they'll impeach Trump. Hurt their business interests since they clearly don't care about anything else. And the only way to hurt their business interests is to make it clear that American companies that do business overseas will be hurt by Trump's policies.

diaspora

Trudeau will in all likelihood do the diplomatic and policy equivalent of sub-tweeting like bolstering support for reproductive rights, telling Russia to eat shit, supporting US permanent residents denied entry, etc.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
While I can see that Trudeau will stay quiet to not worsen relations, I also feel like EVERY country leader has to come out and speak out against Trump. If it hurts US GOP congressmen backpockets that's the ONLY way they'll impeach Trump. Hurt their business interests since they clearly don't care about anything else. And the only way to hurt their business interests is to make it clear that American companies that do business overseas will be hurt by Trump's policies.

Trudeau will in all likelihood do the diplomatic and policy equivalent of sub-tweeting like bolstering support for reproductive rights, telling Russia to eat shit, supporting US permanent residents denied entry, etc.

As I say this:

dB6t1EB.png

good. Makes me feel a bit better right now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1338685

Mailbox

I don't think i'll ever ever understand anyone who wants to privatize healthcare here in canada. We've seen time and time again that when it comes to the well being of the nation and its people, that corporations will never ever regulate themselves effectively nor will they ever have the best interests of the people at heart. I'd rather not have millions in crippling debt or die outright because they couldn't afford out of pocket surgery thank you very fucking much. Hell just look at the water crises happening in recent years due to extremely poor regulation and cooperate greedy fuckery.

Yeah, I fully expect all the other party leaders (maybe minus Conservatives) denouncing him in the loudest way possible. I also fully expect Trudeau to keep his mouth shut because it would be fucking stupid to insult the USA in our current position. Its just a super poor strategic move, especially right now. I think trudeau gets that, and I also expect that he'll try to "say" what he thinks in really roundabout ways. Probably a few speeches about equality, about Canadian values of diversity and probably reaching a hand out to refugees and so forth, but I don't expect him to say "screw donald" anytime soon. Edit: looking at the post above, i was spot on!

I also expect people will see this and say "wow trudeau is being such a weakling to trump, we need someone strong" which could fuck us up horribly internally because my god lots of the public just don't think shit through -_-

Basically its a balancing act that Trudeau is playing now, and really difficult one at that.

The problem comes it when you consider that most of canada's major cities and activity is right beside the border. If we anger a pissed off and whiny trump on a bad day, we are really really vulnerable (especially considering military size). While trump would be a straight up idiot if an invasion did happen since that could lead to straight up global war, I can't trust Trump or the GOP on being "smart" about that sort of shit. Trudeau, at least in my opinion is better keeping his mouth shut and letting the world denounce him first, then join in.

Regardless. being the angel's voice on the devil's shoulder would probably still be the better strategy for now.

bremon

Keystone went through because Trudeau pushed to keep it alive and because cheeto Benito approved it. I can also guarantee that nobody in manufacturing or other industries like film/entertainment were particularly pleased with a strong petro-dollar.

edit: The economy is in shambles? What?
There are plenty of Albertans who are doing just fine, don't particularly care about pipelines, and are horrified by the looming merger of the Wild Rose and PC. I feel like Calgary and RM Wood Buffalo would see the province/country/world go to hell in a hand basket thanks to climate change as long as it meant "just one more cycle (I'll save money this time for sure!"). That's the impression I get from the friends and relatives I have in O&G. Kevin O'Leary is following Trump's lead, pretending the national economy is a Great Depression style disaster. On a case by case basis, it can look pretty bad. On the whole, though, not so much.

As for privatized healthcare, I imagine it would be the joke that private insurance is here in Alberta. Sask and MB were both notably cheaper.

S-Wind

Trudeau can't win on oil from the Left and from the Right

the Left whines that he is the status-quo and pro-oil

the Rhight whines that he doesn't do enough for the "West" and is anti-oil

seriously, no win scenario.

Vancouverite here.

Don't lump us in with those right-wing losers in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

mdubs

Banned

No thanks. This is absolutely NOT what he needs to do. He should continue to subtweet and stuff, but vocally calling out Trump will only lead to misery for us, and I wish that more people would see that who are calling for Trudeau to unilaterally start screaming at Trump. This doesn't mean he has to kiss the ring and endorse Trump's evil, but he needs to walk the balancing act. We need to get through the next hopefully 4 years as unscathed as we can. This is a dangerous time - we need to resist how we can put not provoke.

Would any of you honestly put it past Trump to annex Canada? There is literally nothing stopping him from doing this - our government would capitulate instantly (and rightly so because we have no nukes), and no other country (despite big words) is going to go to war against the US to defend Canada.

bremon

I actually fully expect us to be an annexed "lower-class" of Americans within my lifetime. The "quality" of people they have in office at the moment makes me think it will be sooner than I initially thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom