• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's grating that people are still complaining about the Khadr settlement, especially members of the CPC. If they're trying to prove they weren't preying on people's Islamophobia in the 2015 election, they're doing a terrible job of it, to say nothing of reminding people that it's their fault the settlement is being paid out.
It's bad optics. No matter the legality, no matter the Constitution, it's an albatross around the neck

So a third poll is out showing that Trudeau’s Liberals aren't being hurt by the Khadr issue.

http://www.hilltimes.com/2017/07/18/khadr-deal-not-yet-hurting-trudeaus-popularity-campaign-research/113911
Thank God

I think the CPC needs to lose at least two elections in a row to a majority Liberal government for them to start doing some serious introspection. If they lose the next one in such a manner, and they still elect a new leader who is just like the previous one, then we'll be able to say they haven't learned shit. And we shall laugh at them heartily.

They lost tons of elections in Ontario at this point, and they got progressively nuttier. It's good that Patrick Brown moderated a bit, but he still ran on a very un-moderate campaign.

I'm starting to think that I may have wildly overestimated Jagmeet Singh's political talent: NDP leadership rebel Jagmeet Singh takes aim at Old Age Security

But Singh has also shown on an unusual willingness to take on established party policy. In particular, he is breaking with the NDP’s long-held support for universal Old Age Security.

His Canada Seniors Guarantee would scrap OAS and roll it, along with three other programs aimed at those 65 and over, into one means-tested benefit for the elderly poor.

It’s a bold move that bears an uncanny resemblance to an idea floated — but never acted on — by Jean Chretien’s Liberal government in 1996.

Given the NDP’s affinity for universal social programs it may also be foolhardy.

The NDP Policy Book, a kind of Bible for the party, states explicitly that “New Democrats believe in maintaining the universality of Old Age Security.”

I get that he wants to show he's a different kind of NDPer, and you could even argue about the merits of his proposal, but it just seems politically tone-deaf in so many ways. It seems like the same kind of thinking that led to Mulcair promising balanced budgets no matter what -- it's promising something no one expects from the NDP, and there's no overlap between the people who'd like that policy and the people who are voting NDP.

"Hammering away" at that issue could backfire for the conservatives. Which would be delicious. Having them bring up the Khadr file when the government is busy re-negotiating NAFTA is not going to be a good look and a reminder to Canadians why Harper and his cronies were voted out in the last election with their negative attitudes.

It wouldn't shock me if it backfired. I think that even if most Canadians may not like the settlement, they'll be even more appalled by the way that the CPC has been trying to whip up outrage amongst US conservatives. Aligning the party with Trump/Fox News/Republicans may appeal to a certain portion of the CPC base, but I have a hard time seeing that going over well with the broader public. I don't think that the Liberals intentionally set out to use the settlement as a way to make the Conservatives look angry and to remind voters of the CPC's not-so-subtle dogwhistles, but it's kind of playing out that way.

CPC is going on about Khadr so that it remains an 'issue' they can utilize - amongst many others - in the next election campaign against the Liberals. This is just standard long-game stuff.

CPC is going on about Khadr so that it remains an 'issue' they can utilize - amongst many others - in the next election campaign against the Liberals. This is just standard long-game stuff.

Sure, but when you take a lot of those issues together -- Khadr, Bill C-6, M-103 -- there's a common thread that isn't too hard to see. If they really want to ignore Canada's demographic trends and double down on the dog whistling that lost them the 2015 election, I won't complain too much, but it's still a pretty appalling way to act.

Funny they don't mention the Supreme Court Ruling or what they would have done differently, just dog whistling.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sure, but when you take a lot of those issues together -- Khadr, Bill C-6, M-103 -- there's a common thread that isn't too hard to see. If they really want to ignore Canada's demographic trends and double down on the dog whistling that lost them the 2015 election, I won't complain too much, but it's still a pretty appalling way to act.

We already have white nationalists serving in the military, so I'm sure they know what they're doing!

Tapejara

Came across two articles about the Khadr settlement that I thought were worth mentioning. The first is an op-ed by Andrew MacDougall, who was Harper's director of communications.

The Tories have failed to turn the Khadr payout into a political win - Maclean's

The most straightforward way to read the recent polling is that while most Canadians opposed the Khadr settlement, they don’t feel strongly enough about it to change their party support. That’s a problem—and there are lessons to be learned for an opposition party with a new leader, as it slowly gears up for an election two years down the road.

One is that heading to America to press a perceived political advantage, as Peter Kent and Michelle Rempel have done in recent weeks, may turn off Canadians. Some of the people who find the settlement distasteful might also share the same opinion of Canadian lawmakers who go down to the United States to shout about how much it stinks. Those American-media sorties weren’t only designed to flag Omar Khadr to Donald Trump or the Republican Party’s attention; they were also meant to catch the eye of another group of people who watch Fox News or read the Wall Street Journal in significant numbers—Canadian conservatives. It also illustrated something else: the Conservatives’ apparent inability to see beyond the base. Lord knows Justin Trudeau’s supporters aren’t watching Fox News, nor are they likely to care if Fox News pooh-poohs their man.

By pounding Khadr with everything they have, the Tories are once again back to preaching to their converted, rather than trying to present a more measured face to those who might be with them on Khadr if it weren’t for the massive—and rather nasty—sledgehammer being swung about.

Whether Conservatives like it or not, they are perceived as the nasty party. They must always be mindful that the people they need to persuade to once again form government aren’t likely to be persuaded by anger or incivility. Especially against a smiling, earnest opponent like Trudeau. Harpooning the Prime Minister on Khadr isn’t going to change the outcome.

Another lesson? Don’t assume single-issue opposition to a government decision will move over to the broader issue of party choice.

This kind of assumption is what turns an issue like a niqab ban—where, again, polling indicated that most people were on the Conservatives’ side—into a proxy for how the party might act on other files if it were in government. When a party presses an issue beyond reason, voters start to wonder what’s really at stake. And while they’re not likely to ever be terrorists, most Canadians want to know their government will be there for them should they be caught up in legal mischief in a foreign land.

I think MacDougall's reasoning is pretty accurate. Scheer and other CPC members have been talking obsessively about the settlement, and the only people their methods are going to resonate with are other CPC voters/party members. It's pretty clear the section Liberal/NDP/etc voters that disagree with the settlement don't care enough about the issue to drop party support. Scheer's actions in particular have been rather slimy and opportunistic, which isn't really going to gel with those already wary of the CPC.

--

Second article is from the CBC and is an interview with Donnie Bumanglag. He was the medic who was tasked with saving Khadr's life when they found him at the compound. The interview is three days old, so I'm sure most of you have already seen this, but for those that haven't I really appreciated his perspective on the situation:

U.S. army medic has no regrets about saving Omar Khadr's life - CBC

Now, watching the furor over the government's $10.5-million payout to Khadr from afar, Donnie Bumanglag wants to tell his story and offer a perspective born of bitter experience — one he admits may not be popular with many Canadians, or even some of his own former comrades in arms.

Bumanglag, of Lompoc, Calif., 36, has spent years coming to terms with his former life as an elite airborne medic supporting U.S. special forces during three missions to Afghanistan and Iraq. He's been haunted by flashbacks, frequently thrown back to that time in the summer of 2002, when he spent hours in the back of a helicopter frantically working on Khadr, then 15 years old and at the very edge of death.

"This is a human life. This is war. This is something that most people can't fathom, and they want to be real quick to give an opinion just because it makes them feel good about themselves," Bumanglag said. "[But] there's more to this story than just talking points."

"I don't know if I can call him a little kid but he sure looked little to me. He's 80 pounds or something. He's a little guy who's on a door, basically," Bumanglag says.

"If you say you'd go through what he went through for $10 million, you're out of your mind, and that's the truth," Bumanglag says.

As a married father of four, Bumanglag says it's naive to believe Khadr could somehow have just walked away from the compound his father had sent him to. More to the point, he says, had he found himself as Khadr did that fateful day in July — under heavy bombardment with the fighting men dead and the enemy closing in for the kill, he likely would not have hesitated to throw a grenade.

"What happens if the shoe is on the other foot? This is the scenario that I've played in my head," Bumanglag says, his mind turning to those who are furious at the Canadian government's settlement with Khadr.

"They can be upset, but the reality is that they don't understand the full story. I don't think any of us do."

More at the link.

Vibranium

Banned
Christy Clark to resign as BC Liberal Party leader and MLA next week. Back to radio or some super well-paid job I suppose. Horgan doesn't have to call a byelection for her riding until January at the earliest apparently (according to Keith Baldrey from Global News), and the NDP will be pushing hard for the seat. They now have room to breath for the next few months.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/christy-clark-resigns-as-leader-of-b-c-liberal-party-1.4226286

Former premier Christy Clark is stepping down as leader of the B.C. Liberal Party, effective Aug. 4, and is leaving politics.

The announcement comes just 10 days after B.C. NDP leader John Horgan was sworn in as B.C.premier, having formed a historic alliance with the B.C. Green Party following a tumultuous provincial election.

"Serving as premier and serving the people of British Columbia for the past six and a half years has been an incredible honour and privilege," Clark said in a statement. "I am so proud of everything our B.C. Liberal team has accomplished.

"I am certain that British Columbia's best days lie ahead. Because British Columbians can, through hard work, determination, and perseverance, achieve anything they set their minds to."

Clark's Liberals governed B.C. for 5,869 days — one of the longest political dynasties in the province's history.

She first headed a majority B.C. Liberal government after leading her party to a stunning come-from-behind victory in B.C.'s 40th provincial election in 2013.

The 2017 election provided a split legislature that ultimately ended Clark's run as premier — and 16 years of Liberal leadership in B.C.

Following 52 days of political uncertainty, Horgan was asked to govern by Lt.-Gov. Judith Guichon after Clark's Liberals were defeated in a confidence vote on June 29.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Christy Clark to resign as BC Liberal Party leader and MLA next week. Back to radio or some super well-paid job I suppose. Horgan doesn't have to call a byelection for her riding until January at the earliest apparently (according to Keith Baldrey from Global News), and the NDP will be pushing hard for the seat. They now have room to breath for the next few months.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...arty-1.4226286
Cushy appointment time. lol

Also more Australian dual-citizenship scandals, including one that threatens to bring down the government because they might lose their majority lol.

I'm not much of a Canadian constitutional historian, but I wonder why the Canadian founding fathers never put in a similar clause preventing "foreign agents" from influencing our politics. I found a CBC story from 2006 that said 11 MPs at the time had dual citizenship. At the moment, I think Elizabeth May is still an American-Canadian dual citizen, so it is an issue at least. I guess no one in Canada cared at the time?

CazTGG

Cushy appointment time. lol

Also more Australian dual-citizenship scandals, including one that threatens to bring down the government because they might lose their majority lol.

I'm not much of a Canadian constitutional historian, but I wonder why the Canadian founding fathers never put in a similar clause preventing "foreign agents" from influencing our politics. I found a CBC story from 2006 that said 11 MPs at the time had dual citizenship. At the moment, I think Elizabeth May is still an American-Canadian dual citizen, so it is an issue at least. I guess no one in Canada cared at the time?

That has to do with Canada being a British colony that didn't gain its independence via a violent war, have a longstanding history of antagonism from an overseas government or hold the same lack of trust in foreign governments that the United States does did during/following the American Revolution, and having a not insignificant history of elected leaders being born in the UK (John Turner, for instance, was born there and briefly became Prime Minister in the mid 80s). That said, it hasn't prevented it from being used as a political weapon; it was infamously used to hammer Stéphane Dion back in 2008 for possessing dual citizenship.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That has to do with Canada being a British colony that didn't gain its independence via a violent war, have a longstanding history of antagonism from an overseas government or hold the same lack of trust in foreign governments that the United States does did during/following the American Revolution, and having a not insignificant history of elected leaders being born in the UK (John Turner, for instance, was born there and briefly became Prime Minister in the mid 80s). That said, it hasn't prevented it from being used as a political weapon; it was infamously used to hammer Stéphane Dion back in 2008 for possessing dual citizenship.

Mulcair also has/had French citizenship.

But I mean, Australia gained its independence much the same way as Canada... and hell, their flag is still has the silly British flag in the corner. But their founding fathers went out of their way to include a clause that is essentially catching several politicians off-guard at the moment. And we're still expecting more resignations as more politicians check into their parent's histories and whatnot.

Sarah Boesveld interview with Andrew Scheer

Scheer_GTA_Chatelaine_July187568-914x562.jpg

You don’t believe in beating the woman drum as hard as the Liberals do.

I use my wife as a barometer on this – my wife is one of the most fem-… pro-women, strong…

You almost said feminist – are you a feminist?

Yeah, absolutely!

What do you mean by that, though?

I think the core of that is to recognize the fundamental equality between men and women. There should be nothing closed to women by virtue of the fact that they’re women. There has to be this lens in public policy that realizes that. But yeah, my wife is most upset when it’s like, “Well, someone got to where they are not because they deserved it but just because they ticked the demographic box.” It’s Conservative solutions that actually provide for prosperity for women who want to advance in the workplace. We believe in the fundamental principles of equality and opportunity for women who try to have that work-life balance, we’re always trying to find ways to make that choice easier.

Fuck Andrew Scheer

Tapejara

Scheer is against affirmative action too? Lmao, they sure picked a winner.

Edit: actually, re-reading that has even worse implications. Sounds like a great guy!

CazTGG

Can we stop with this "Scheer is a nice guy" narrative? People said Kevin O'Leary was a great guy to have a beer with, but he is absolutely not a person who should be in any position of power, let alone be an indication that they're "nice" (see also: His disgusting comments about the LGBT2Q+ community). Also, for a feminist, you'd think he wouldn't, say, have a history of voting for anti-choice legislation. Oops.

gabbo

from article said:
I think what it comes down to is tone and how we speak to people
You told women, the LGBTQ, and brown people to go fuck themselves and it came back to bite your party in the ass. So your lesson from last time is, "tell them to fuck off, with an upbeat tone and smile!'? Good luck with that.

He really is as dead inside as Harper, but with a smile

Totally not related but how does one go about renouncing party membership again?

yeah, I have yet to do that. I know Matthew mentioned it some months ago, as he told the story of how the CPC assigns a smiley face or a frowny face to members, in their database.

You told women, the LGBTQ, and brown people to go fuck themselves and it came back to bite your party in the ass. So your lesson from last time is, "tell them to fuck off, with an upbeat tone and smile!'? Good luck with that.

I find him to be worse than Harper because he is doesn't hold back as much on his Conservatism

Not even a smile! More like a smirk.

And he doesn't even have Harper's...intelligence? Intellectual curiosity? I'm not sure how I'd characterize it, since I disagreed with him on quite literally everything, but at least it seemed like he'd come by his positions honestly. Scheer basically went from being a political science student, to a Hill staffer, to an MP by 25. He's been a doctrinaire social conservative his whole life. Harper's life outside of politics wasn't exactly diverse -- he worked for an oil company and a bunch of right-wing think-tanks -- but at least he did something away from Parliament Hill. Scheer doesn't even have that tiny bit of exposure to the outside world.

Totally not related but how does one go about renouncing party membership again?

I think you just have to email the CPC and tell them you're cancelling your membership. Unfortunately I changed jobs, so I can no longer confirm that with my former CPC staffer co-worker, but I don't see why it wouldn't be the case.

Speaking of memberships: if anyone wants to vote in the NDP leadership race, the deadline to join is August 17th. Here's the link, for anyone interested.

mo60

The BC NDP is not going to come close to winning Kelowna West in a future byelection. Clark won it with like 60% of the vote in May.

Vibranium

Banned
The BC NDP is not going to come close to winning Kelowna West in a future byelection. Clark won it with like 60% of the vote in May.

Oh absolutely, I agree. They're going to milk the time they have before the byelection for all it is worth though.

CazTGG

Not even a smile! More like a smirk.

And he doesn't even have Harper's...intelligence? Intellectual curiosity? I'm not sure how I'd characterize it, since I disagreed with him on quite literally everything, but at least it seemed like he'd come by his positions honestly. Scheer basically went from being a political science student, to a Hill staffer, to an MP by 25. He's been a doctrinaire social conservative his whole life. Harper's life outside of politics wasn't exactly diverse -- he worked for an oil company and a bunch of right-wing think-tanks -- but at least he did something away from Parliament Hill. Scheer doesn't even have that tiny bit of exposure to the outside world.

Harper won on the first ballot, Scheer won on the last one with a lower overall percentage of the vote than Harper. That's about the nicest thing I can say about him that doesn't involve the word "penny".

I think you just have to email the CPC and tell them you're cancelling your membership. Unfortunately I changed jobs, so I can no longer confirm that with my former CPC staffer co-worker, but I don't see why it wouldn't be the case.

Speaking of memberships: if anyone wants to vote in the NDP leadership race, the deadline to join is August 17th. Here's the link, for anyone interested.

What if I want to cancel my membership in a more dramatic fashion, such as sending them my shred membership card? Would that work? And where should I send it exactly; their headquarters?

mo60

What if I want to cancel my membership in a more dramatic fashion, such as sending them my shred membership card? Would that work? And where should I send it exactly; their headquarters?

Maybe rip up your membership and throw it in the garbage.Once you have thrown it in the garbage capture a picture of your ripped up membership in the garbage and send it to the CPC on their social media page.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-bloc-creditistes-1.4224658

Why the Bloc Québécois's future could look like Quebec's Créditiste past

vote-share-in-quebec-bloc-and-creditistes.png

In 1980, the Créditistes slid to just 6 per cent of the vote in Quebec and were shut out of the legislature. They wouldn't return.

But during their heyday from 1962 to 1979, the Créditistes averaged 21 per cent of the vote and 14 seats in Quebec — not dissimilar to where the Bloc finds itself today.

And that is a more common position for non-national parties in Quebec. The Bloc's period of strength, which stretched roughly 20 years from its inception in 1990 to its defeat in 2011, represents a short period of time in the 75 years since the conscription plebiscite of 1942.

NDP 2nd quarter fundraising totals!

Singh raised $356,784 from 1,681 individual contributions, despite entering the race in mid-May, halfway through the reporting period that stretched from April 1 to June 30, 2017. That represents 60 per cent of all money raised by the four candidates for the NDP leadership in the quarter.

Singh was followed by Ontario MP Charlie Angus, who raised $123,577 from 1,285 individual contributions. Manitoba MP Niki Ashton raised $70,156 from 1,006 contributors — though she announced that her campaign had already raised $100,000 in July — while Quebec MP Guy Caron raised just $46,970 from 568 contributions.

Singh's not as dead as the Mainstreet poll would suggest, so it'll be interesting if their next poll shows him getting a bump. If I were a rival campaign that couldn't afford polling, I'd leak a membership list to Mainstreet to find out how support is actually leaning.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-bloc-creditistes-1.4224658

Why the Bloc Québécois's future could look like Quebec's Créditiste past

vote-share-in-quebec-bloc-and-creditistes.png

Except, as I understand it, Caouette was personally popular enough that he was able to single-handedly keep his party afloat. Martine Ouellet only won her last by-election by the skin of her teeth, is a two-time third place finisher for the PQ leadership, won her job because no one else wanted it, and isn't even committed to the BQ enough to resign her provincial seat. I don't disagree with Grenier that Quebec, for whatever reason, is fertile ground for third parties, and I'm sure that'll continue to be the case in the future, but I have a hard time imagining the Bloc being that party for much longer.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not politics I guess, but The National is getting four co-hosts to replace Mansbridge... that's so... I dunno. lol

I wonder how they'll do the political panels, although I guess Mansbridge was mostly a moderator during them.

CazTGG

So, the Rolling Stones story garnered some controversy that Trudeau apologized for: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-regrets-rolling-stone-comments-brazeau-1.4230498

Facing accusations of using hurtful Indigenous stereotypes, the prime minister says he "regrets" comments he made about Senator Patrick Brazeau to Rolling Stone magazine.

"I regret the way it's been taken, I regret the choice of language that I made," Justin Trudeau told CBC Radio One in Vancouver this morning.

"The way I've framed it...doesn't contribute to the positive spirit of reconciliation that I'd like to think I know my government stands for. So, I regret those comments and the way it was characterized."

Tapejara

I'm lost. What was the controversial statement? It surely can't be that innocuous quote about a tough guy in the article? o_O

Yeah, that's the full quote:

Rolling Stone said:
The victory was twofold: It showed that Trudeau could back up his words, and that the stereotypically weak-kneed Liberal Party could take a punch. Five years and a few miles away, Trudeau mischievously smiles when I ask how much of the boxing match had been planned out. "It wasn't random," Trudeau says. "I wanted someone who would be a good foil, and we stumbled upon the scrappy tough-guy senator from an indigenous community. He fit the bill, and it was a very nice counterpoint." Trudeau says this with the calculation of a CFO in a company-budget markup session. "I saw it as the right kind of narrative, the right story to tell," he says.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...-prime-minister-free-worlds-best-hope-w494098

I heard about it a few days ago when I saw Connie Walker (host of the 'Missing & Murdered podcast) retweeted a thread on it and was going to mention it here, but I didn't see much reaction anywhere else and thought I'd wait for more discussion to pop up. Guess more people chimed in later.

The weird thing about his comments in Rolling Stone is that they're not true:

Trudeau talked to me about how he was approaching this significant birthday — which would come on Christmas Day, 2011, when he planned to be celebrating with his family in the Bahamas. Before then, he said he’d be checking off items on a bucket list. He’d wanted to get a tattoo, so he’d recently had a Haida raven inked onto his shoulder.

Trudeau also said he had a long-held wish to go three rounds in a proper boxing match and he’d been casting around, looking for a Conservative opponent who would agree to do the event with him for charity. Peter McKay, then defence minister, had been approached, as had backbencher Rob Anders. Both men said they couldn’t spare the time to train for the match.

Brazeau, then, was at least the third choice — which is not really the impression you get from Trudeau’s boasts to Rolling Stone.

Kind of a shame he didn't get to pummel Rob Anders. It would've been deserved.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The panels were almost entirely a Mansbridge mandated thing. They will likely largely go away over time.
Oh god I just heard the details. 3 different cities, they're going to play clips from random people on the scene... it's going to be an American news show. lol

Yeah, I assume the political panels are dead at this point. RIP.

gabbo

Oh god I just heard the details. 3 different cities, they're going to play clips from random people on the scene... it's going to be an American news show. lol

Is it too late to get Don Newman back for Power and Politics?

Interesting analysis of the NDP leadership fundraising numbers. Even though Singh raised more money that the other three candidates combined, he did in part because he had a bunch of donors max out their donations for the year. He still trails Angus in terms of overall numbers of donors.

Also, more than half of his donations came from the GTA. That's not inherently a bad thing -- in a 1 member, 1 vote system, it doesn't matter how geographically dispersed your support is -- but it also shows a pretty stark contrast between the NDP system and the CPC one, where candidates were forced to organize across the country.

You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

Rosie Barton as an anchor seems like a waste of her talents. Her reputation is based on her ability to be a no-nonsense interviewer. Unless they drastically change the format of The National, she's not going to be able to do that as much anymore.

CazTGG

So, this is going to be a thing: https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...y-to-seek-tory-nomination-in-york-simcoe.html

Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown is poised to get a star candidate for next year’s election – Caroline Mulroney.

Mulroney, whose father Brian Mulroney was prime minister from 1984 until 1993, announced Wednesday she will seek the Tory nomination in the riding of York-Simcoe

“I believe that Ontario finds itself at a crossroads,” the Harvard-educated lawyer and mother of four said in a statement.

Can't wait for Harper's kids to run for office and fuck everything up (again).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom