• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

Laureen went in on the anti-Khadr train. She doesn't get a pass.

And the son wrote a Postmedia column attacking the Liberals for deficit spending, plus he's a Queen's business student. I'd say the odds of him not being an entitled douchebag are pretty slim.

Hmm, I need to get caught up on this stuff then!

edit: In other news: https://twitter.com/trevortombe/status/892799707012976640

DGPcks6V0AAdMLP.jpg

CazTGG

I'd actually be interested in seeing one of these charts in reference to the entire economy. I've heard more than a few times people blame the current economic situation on Trudeau or say they're going to vote Conservative in 2019 to fix the dollar.

Isn't the dollar doing better than it was during Harper's later years? That aside, I doubt Scheer has an economic plan that will do much besides slow down Canada's recovery from the current slump it's in now.

Tapejara

Isn't the dollar doing better than it was during Harper's later years? That aside, I doubt Scheer has an economic plan that will do much besides slow down Canada's recovery from the current slump it's in now.

It's recovering well and is close to where it was around March/April 2015, but the dollar didn't reach it's lower points until shortly after Trudeau took office, which I'm sure fuels the perception that the dollar is low because of the Liberals. That obviously doesn't make such sense because the dollar was already on a steady decline since 2013 and was probably affected more by oil prices (and Harper's inability to diversify the economy beyond our oil) reserves than any legislation Trudeau had yet to pass.

I'm using this chart of the dollar for reference https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=CAD&to=USD&view=5Y

I'd just like something a bit more detailed to reference in future discussions.

Uhh...slump?

Canada’s economy is booming, and that’s good news for Justin Trudeau. The question is whether it can last until the next election.

Growth in May beat all forecasts, a 4.6 percent expansion on a yearly basis that was the fastest in 17 years. Canada is forecast to lead the Group of Seven in growth this year, data compiled by Bloomberg show.

I did the mistake of tuning into CJAD this morning (Montreal English language radio)

and my God the callers were all against the Haitian refugees being temporarily sheltered at the Olympic Stadium.
The Host tried his best to change their minds but zero callers were compassionate.

Full of Fuck You Got Mine callers, some Greek and Italian callers spouted the Conservative lines of "well I got in here "legally" why can't they?" not understanding the concept of refugees then using the other tag-line "my tax dollars!", "take care of our own poor people here first"

humanity

Tapejara

http://affaires.lapresse.ca/economie...epuis-1976.php

Stats Canada published unemployment numbers.
Canada: 6.3%
Quebec: 5.8%, the lowest level it's been since 1976.
Ontario: 6.1%

Your link seems to lead to a broken page, but CBC posted some info on Twitter this morning:

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/893449403016544256

CBC said:
Canada created 10,9000 jobs in July, roughly in line with consensus estimate by economists. Jobless rate declines to 6.3%, down from 6.5%.

More info: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/jobs-july-economy-1.4235084

Good timing considering the discussion last night about the dollar/economy. Happy to see things continue looking up!

Your link seems to lead to a broken page, but CBC posted some info on Twitter this morning:

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/893449403016544256

More info: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/jobs-july-economy-1.4235084

Good timing considering the discussion last night about the dollar/economy. Happy to see things continue looking up!
thanks!

the other tidbit that is important was that that the addition of Full Time Jobs with a loss of Part Time Jobs. So more net gain in Quality of jobs overall versus crappy Part Time

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So Saudi Arabia is using Canadian-sold LAVs in operations to suppress it's own people. Who would have thought this would ever happen??!?!?!?

Tiktaalik

Guys guys we need to sell weapons to repressive regimes because otherwise people might lose their jobs!!!

Trudeau government defended arms sales to Saudi Arabia weeks before crackdown

Only two weeks before Saudi Arabia deployed what appear to be Canadian-made armoured vehicles against its citizens, the Trudeau government was defending military sales to the Mideast kingdom in court filings on the basis that no proof existed Riyadh had ever used such equipment on its own people.

The late July crackdown on minority Shia Muslims in Saudi Arabia's Eastern Province, which Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland is now investigating, has shone a spotlight on combat machines sold to the Saudis by a little-known Ontario company, Terradyne Armored Vehicles.

If confirmed as a violation of Canada's defence export controls, the matter could undermine the Liberal government's rationale for allowing a much bigger military sale to proceed: the $15-billion General Dynamics weaponized armoured vehicle deal with Riyadh which supports hundreds of manufacturing jobs in and around London, Ont.

CazTGG

There's no defense for this decision, governments in general need to stop selling weapons to Saudi Arabia or any other country with a demonstrably monstrous abuse of human rights.

maharg

idspispopd
I wonder if we're going to pretend that the last time this came up in this thread people were pretty overwhelmingly in favour of Protecting Those Jobs?

Anyways, the idea that you can sell arms to a country that cracks down on dissidents and pretend that just because they may not directly use the ones you sell on them that you're not contributing is and always has been bullshit. And in the end what are you even going to do when they don't even pretend that much and start openly using them that way?

I did the mistake of tuning into CJAD this morning (Montreal English language radio)

and my God the callers were all against the Haitian refugees being temporarily sheltered at the Olympic Stadium.
The Host tried his best to change their minds but zero callers were compassionate.

Full of Fuck You Got Mine callers, some Greek and Italian callers spouted the Conservative lines of "well I got in here "legally" why can't they?" not understanding the concept of refugees then using the other tag-line "my tax dollars!", "take care of our own poor people here first"

humanity

I had a heated argument with my father on that matter.

Apparently my position of "they're coming into Canada, we are arresting them and lodging them like any other people doing criminal acts in the country, even if temporary" trying to not make him lose his shit was too SJW for him and he lost his shit.

(Not offering a better solution mind you)

Pedrito

There's no defense for this decision, governments in general need to stop selling weapons to Saudi Arabia or any other country with a demonstrably monstrous abuse of human rights.

The problem is even if all western democracies stop selling to the Saudis, they'll just buy the weapons from Russia or China who actually don't give a shit (as opposed to "being concerned" like our government pretends to be).

So if the government does the morally right thing and block the sale:
-General Dynamics closes its London plant and move to Alabama. Trump cuts the ribbon.
-SA still gets its weapons and uses them to mow down civilians
-Many entities get sued

In the end, nothing changes except for hundreds of people out of work in London. It's not hard to see why the government tried to weasel its way out of this.

about SA arms deal, it was deal made by Harper and Co.
Trudeau got stuck with the bag.

I loath Saudi Arabia and I hate their regime and stupid beliefs.

But Trudeau was stuck with Harper's contract; it sucks yah but eh .

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The problem is even if all western democracies stop selling to the Saudis, they'll just buy the weapons from Russia or China who actually don't give a shit (as opposed to "being concerned" like our government pretends to be).

So if the government does the morally right thing and block the sale:
-General Dynamics closes its London plant and move to Alabama. Trump cuts the ribbon.
-SA still gets its weapons and uses them to mow down civilians
-Many entities get sued

In the end, nothing changes except for hundreds of people out of work in London. It's not hard to see why the government tried to weasel its way out of this.

If that's the logic, why not sell to North Korea to create more jobs? The Chinese and Russians are clearly supplying them.

(Actually, with the release of the Canadian-Korean pastor, I wonder if some offer wasn't made.)

about SA arms deal, it was deal made by Harper and Co.
Trudeau got stuck with the bag.

I loath Saudi Arabia and I hate their regime and stupid beliefs.

But Trudeau was stuck with Harper's contract; it sucks yah but eh .
Yeah but let's be real, Trudeau won't do a thing about it.
It's the trick with Liberals and Conservatives - they like to blame each other for past mistakes, so they never have to be accountable for anything they do. Everything shitty that's happening right now is because of Harper. And 5 or 10 years from now when Scheer or Ashton/Singh (lol) is PM, everything shitty that's happening will be Trudeau's fault.

Brad Wall is resigning:

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall announced he is retiring from politics on Thursday after 14 years as the leader of the Saskatchewan Party.

Wall said he would stay on as premier until the party elects a new leader.

"Together with [my wife] Tami, I have decided that now is the time for renewal ­— for my party, for the government, for the province. It's time for me to retire from politics," Wall said Thursday morning in a video posted to Facebook.

He must've seen the writing on the wall for the next election, and he's jumping now rather than being tagged as a loser.

I don't follow Saskatchewan politics that closely, but I know he at least floated the idea. If I remember correctly, he was also dinged for some very delayed responses to oil spills in a couple of major rivers.

At the federal level, he was by far the most vocal critic of the carbon tax, so I can't say I'm sad to see him go.

I don't follow Saskatchewan politics that closely, but I know he at least floated the idea. If I remember correctly, he was also dinged for some very delayed responses to oil spills in a couple of major rivers.

At the federal level, he was by far the most vocal critic of the carbon tax, so I can't say I'm sad to see him go.

I live in SK, so I can provide some input. Oil spill stuff didn't get much play locally (except in the affected areas, obviously). Oil is king in SK, so all parties worship it. We need oil to come back from the current recession the province is in.

Brad Wall's government has some ongoing scandals related to land sales that have probably hurt him a bit. The biggest thing, though, is the last budget. Turns out the government never saved any money from the decade of oil surpluses, so now everything is being cut. Pay cuts across the board for government employees, sale of crowns being floated (Sasktel-cheapest phone service in the nation, SGI-cheapest insurance in the nation), and funding cuts to pretty much everything.

It also sounds like the finances are even worse than they are letting on, meaning at least a few more years of continuing cuts.

Like back in the 90s, it will be left to the NDP to come in, govern as a centre-right party, and then when times are good again the Sask Party (or whatever conservative party exists then) will swoop in demanding that the money be spent and used better. It's a cycle. The left-wing party governs to the right, and the right-wing party governs to the left (spending-wise, at least).

EDIT - Also, two new polls in June show that more people disapproved of Wall than approved, for the first time. That was likely the biggest factor—his chances of winning the next election were in jeopardy.

Good riddance to Brad Wall. 10 years of horn-tooting about the economy, only to end up broke and pinching pennies from the scummiest places he could find. His new budget wasn't just bad politics. It was borderline inhumane. Some of it was so bad that he had to backtrack, like his proposal to cut public library funding. And even on his way out, he spends most of his resignation letter bragging. Rings pretty hollow considering.

CazTGG

Ouch.

I cannot wait for the next election. Wynne has been a not so good premier.

She's had her moments like banning conversion therapy and Ontario's economic growth under her government has outpaced many other G7 countries, to say nothing of other provinces, but that goes along several questionable decisions like selling off Hydro One shares. That said, I can't imagine that Brown would be doing any good, let alone improve anything, if the PCs come into power.

Ouch.

I wouldn't count the Liberals out just yet. Wynne is a strong campaigner, and a lot of her recent policy announcements are proving to be popular. Brown is going to have to work hard to keep his socons in check (which will be harder the closer we get to the election, especially if looks like they may win), and apparently several of their riding associations aren't happy with how he's been handling nominations. Obviously the Ontario PCs are in a good position to win right now, but it's a long time until the next election, and a lot could happen between now and then.

SRG01

I wouldn't count the Liberals out just yet. Wynne is a strong campaigner, and a lot of her recent policy announcements are proving to be popular. Brown is going to have to work hard to keep his socons in check (which will be harder the closer we get to the election, especially if looks like they may win), and apparently several of their riding associations aren't happy with how he's been handling nominations. Obviously the Ontario PCs are in a good position to win right now, but it's a long time until the next election, and a lot could happen between now and then.

The sad part about Ontario politics is that there's still no credible center alternative to the OLP. It's like a redux of Albertan or BC politics.

Dalthien

Ouch.

The whole electricity situation has been a gigantic mess, but there's been a lot to like about Wynne's government for progressives.

- banning conversion therapy
- starting trials for Basic Income
- sex-ed curriculum
-,free post-secondary education for low-income students
- $15 minimum wage

Those are some pretty huge successes. Then there's the cap and trade program, she was instrumental in forcing the national CPP expansion, and the overall economy for Ontario has been doing very well.

I can't imagine how anyone with even a slight interest in progressive policies could prefer Brown over Wynne.

The whole electricity situation has been a gigantic mess, but there's been a lot to like about Wynne's government for progressives.

- banning conversion therapy
- starting trials for Basic Income
- sex-ed curriculum
-,free post-secondary education for low-income students
- $15 minimum wage

Those are some pretty huge successes. Then there's the cap and trade program, she was instrumental in forcing the national CPP expansion, and the overall economy for Ontario has been doing very well.

I can't imagine how anyone with even a slight interest in progressive policies could prefer Brown over Wynne.

Speaking honestly, Wynne has done a lot of good for the province. That said though, everything surrounding the OLP and Wynne herself has just been so negative. Granted a bunch of stuff people blame her for was on her predecessor, but she still made a couple critical moves such as the Hydro selloff.

It really is one of those cases where I like what they are doing, but I just can't help but feel negative towards the politicians themselves. If they makes sense. Like if there was another party in government which had the exact same agenda as the Liberals, but weren't the Liberals I would be partying in the streets. :p

It all feels like desperation to try to keep in power though.

It certainly feels that way, but hey at least it forced the topics into the limelight and progress was made in the direction Progressives want things to move.

CazTGG

Ideally, Ontario would have an NDP majority while the Liberals have a time out (again, selling Hydro One shares was a grievous mistake by all accounts)and the former continues to work on similar policies since Andrea Horwrath planned to have many of the proposed changes made by the Wynne government to be core parts of the NDP's 2018 election platform like the $15 minimum wage raise, basic income and OHIP+. I can't see the Liberals, even in spite of these generally well-regarded policies, holding onto a majority for another election and the PCs last few elections have been theirs to lose...hopefully the latter will lose so Ontario can win.

Ouch.

She'll probably win unfortunately.

Don't forget that hydro 'rebate'. Future generations will be paying dearly for the electoral fortunes of the Liberal Party today. Then they have a gall to start running tax-funded advertisements about it.

gabbo

It was posted in here earlier, if only Campaign Mode Liberals were the all the time Liberals, because the policies theyve rolled out recently or piloted are really good, they just seem ill-timed. And you know the PC are going to roll at least half of them back, but not do a damn thing about Hydro One

firehawk12

Subete no aware
^
So many replies!

I'm reminded of the BC Liberals basically taking the NDP pledges and putting it in their throne speech as a last ditch effort to stay in power. I guess when everyone hates you and is ready for a change, you can either try to reinvent yourself and hope for the best or pull a Brad Wall/Mulroney and bail before you tarnish your name with a loss.

(Any kind of minority government would be fine with me at this point. I just don't believe the "new" Liberals will keep their promises if they manage to somehow win another majority)

LakeEarth

Don't forget that hydro 'rebate'. Future generations will be paying dearly for the electoral fortunes of the Liberal Party today. Then they have a gall to start running tax-funded advertisements about it.
"All households are going to get a 25% discount on your hydro bill. It would be 30%, but we had to pay for all these commercials."

CazTGG

Not necessarily CanadaPoliGAF but I wasn't sure where this should go (maybe a new thread like "What New Lows Rebel Media Has Sunk To") but, here goes:

Following the Charlottesville Nazi protest turned riot that resulted in 19 people injured and the tragic death of three people (1 in a car crash, the other two in a helicopter), it was discovered that Rebel Media contributor Faith Goldy was on-site ranting about "The Left™" right before the fatal car crash that killed Heather Heyer. In addition, Rebel's Gavin McInnes is organizing a "Freeze Peach Rally" in Boston mere days from now along with various, and let's be frank, members of his fascist group, the Proud Boys that will no doubt be promoting some manner of hate speech. I'm not sure what to say aside from how it is increasingly disturbing that Rebel has been appearing alongside alt-right, fascist, etc. movements/groups (just a few days earlier, Goldy was on Alex "Gay Frogs" Jones' show), especially since we know their close ties to Andrew "Screw Colleges" Scheer

EDIT: They have no shame.

I'm reminded of the BC Liberals basically taking the NDP pledges and putting it in their throne speech as a last ditch effort to stay in power. I guess when everyone hates you and is ready for a change, you can either try to reinvent yourself and hope for the best or pull a Brad Wall/Mulroney and bail before you tarnish your name with a loss.

(Any kind of minority government would be fine with me at this point. I just don't believe the "new" Liberals will keep their promises if they manage to somehow win another majority)

...except they're actually doing these things. It'd be one thing to be skeptical of a last-minute change of direction, and it was blatantly obvious that it them trying to cling to power. But they've been announcing and implementing these policies since the election -- an election where, if I'm not mistaken, they ran as being to the left of the NDP. Given that, plus the fact this is Wynne's first full term as Premier, wouldn't the logical conclusion be that they're actually committed to the things they've been doing?

Not necessarily CanadaPoliGAF but I wasn't sure where this should go (maybe a new thread like "What New Lows Rebel Media Has Sunk To") but, here goes:

Following the Charlottesville Nazi protest turned riot that resulted in 19 people injured and the tragic death of three people (1 in a car crash, the other two in a helicopter), it was discovered that Rebel Media contributor Faith Goldy was on-site ranting about "The Left™" right before the fatal car crash that killed Heather Heyer. In addition, Rebel's Gavin McInnes is organizing a "Freeze Peach Rally" in Boston mere days from now along with various, and let's be frank, members of his fascist group, the Proud Boys that will no doubt be promoting some manner of hate speech. I'm not sure what to say aside from how it is increasingly disturbing that Rebel has been appearing alongside alt-right, fascist, etc. movements/groups (just a few days earlier, Goldy was on Alex "Gay Frogs" Jones' show), especially since we know their close ties to Andrew "Screw Colleges" Scheer.

At some point you'd think the cognitive dissonance will become too great -- either they'll turn on Ezra Levant for being Jewish, or he'll suddenly have a crisis of conscience when he faces the fact that his site has become the go-to destination in Canada for fascists and anti-Semites. Since I'm not sure he has a conscience, I imagine it'll be the latter, but crazier things have happened.

Related: Ezra Levant confident riled up, far-right mob won’t turn against Jews this time

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

Following the Charlottesville Nazi protest turned riot that resulted in 19 people injured and the tragic death of three people (1 in a car crash, the other two in a helicopter), it was discovered that Rebel Media contributor Faith Goldy was on-site ranting about "The Left™" right before the fatal car crash that killed Heather Heyer. In addition, Rebel's Gavin McInnes is organizing a "Freeze Peach Rally" in Boston mere days from now along with various, and let's be frank, members of his fascist group, the Proud Boys that will no doubt be promoting some manner of hate speech. I'm not sure what to say aside from how it is increasingly disturbing that Rebel has been appearing alongside alt-right, fascist, etc. movements/groups (just a few days earlier, Goldy was on Alex "Gay Frogs" Jones' show), especially since we know their close ties to Andrew "Screw Colleges" Scheer.
This stuff is going to be a constant problem for Conservatives in the next election.

How do you figure?

I don't want to answer for him, but: if you look at the Reform Party's history, they were constantly up against the perception (often entirely deserved) that they were the party of bigots, extremists, and white supremacists. It took them well over a decade to shake those associations, and even that required them changing their leader a few times, changing their name, and eventually taking over another party.

Pretty much all of those things happened before social media -- or, in some cases, the internet -- even existed. We're now in a situation where conservatives (particularly those who spend a lot of time online) have drifted pretty far to the right, where they've spent the last few years cheering on the rise of Trump and his associated cronies, and where the new CPC leader has made it pretty clear that he has no problem with alt-right dogwhistles and talking points. Based on all those things, I'd be shocked if the CPC doesn't spend a significant portion of the next campaign disavowing things said/shared/Liked by supporters, candidates, and even prominent members of Scheer's inner circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom