• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
expected outcome.... especially after being so close to the federal election

people in the Atlantic won't give the CPC a chance lol

so the only Conservative Premier left in Canada is the dude from Saskatchewan and he isn't even really part of the CPC but he basically is the same thing

mo60

so the only Conservative Premier left in Canada is the dude from Saskatchewan and he isn't even really part of the CPC but he basically is the same thing

The Yukon Party from what I heard leans conservative also and maybe the BC Liberals to.I betting that this will be short lived and a conservative party will be elected in a province by April.

Ryan clearly also lost by 46% in the riding he was running in.

tuCdNZC.jpg
I don't know why, but this picture puts a huge smile on my face

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
because they're all wearing blue?

Yes. Which is not a surprise; you don't switch to the team that's about to lose and then run in a riding that wasn't particularly likely to go to that team to begin with.

S-Wind

The BC Liberal Party are very similar to the Conservatives in matters financial and secular.

Come to think of it, a more accurate name for the BC Liberal Party would be the Plutocracy Party.

mo60

Also some liberal newfoundland candidate got approximately 43 times more votes than the second place candidate. The other parties did not even break 100 votes in that riding. And that liberal candidate got 96.5% percent of the vote in that riding.

Kifimbo

CVJSkM8UAAAXW5r.png

Oh, and after pretended he wouldn't take childcare subsidies in the months preceding the campaign, the Prime Minister hired two nannies paid by taxpayers money.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
CVJSkM8UAAAXW5r.png

Oh, and after pretended he wouldn't take childcare subsidies in the months preceding the campaign, the Prime Minister hired two nannies paid by taxpayers money.

Next thing you'll tell me he doesn't bike to work! The horror!

diaspora

CVJSkM8UAAAXW5r.png

The whole point of rejecting the subsidies is that he makes enough money for it to be inappropriate for him to accept it. The taxpayer doesn't save money if he chooses to use the subsidy instead of his salary.

maharg

idspispopd
The whole point of rejecting the subsidies is that he makes enough money for it to be inappropriate for him to accept it. The taxpayer doesn't save money if he chooses to use the subsidy instead of his salary.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with the post you're quoting. To be clear, he's hiring nannies out of money allocated to his office, not from his salary.

The Yukon Party from what I heard leans conservative also and maybe the BC Liberals to.I betting that this will be short lived and a conservative party will be elected in a province by April.

The BC Liberal Party are very similar to the Conservatives in matters financial and secular.

Come to think of it, a more accurate name for the BC Liberal Party would be the Plutocracy Party.

Ah I forgot about BC

never knew about the Yukon party either but then again it is the Yukon

Nice try, but:

1. Harper's hairstylist was paid by the CPC.
2. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Meh. The PM has (and should have) a lot of support staff, and having a small child is no small drain.

Do you think Barack Obama makes the bed? Do you think he personally pays the maids?

CVJSkM8UAAAXW5r.png

does it equal $15 a day daycare?

I have no problem with taxpayers paying for daycare for the leader of our government's kids.

The daycare costs for them are probably cheaper than the cost of body guards, chauffeurs or florists.

SRG01

Meh. The PM has (and should have) a lot of support staff, and having a small child is no small drain.

Do you think Barack Obama makes the bed? Do you think he personally pays the maids?

100% agreed. It's the same reductive argument as arguing against the renovation of 24 Sussex.

does it equal $15 a day daycare?

I have no problem with taxpayers paying for daycare for the leader of our government's kids.

The daycare costs for them are probably cheaper than the cost of body guards, chauffeurs or florists.

I don't think it's particularly out of the ordinary to offer childcare to any PM's family, along with any other social benefits. Living in Ottawa is a unique situation for any politician.

maharg

idspispopd
100% agreed. It's the same reductive argument as arguing against the renovation of 24 Sussex.

This is a reductive comparison. The issue is that when he was campaigning he explicitly said he did not need a subsidy for child care paid for by the government, and people who make as much as he does in general don't. Being PM is a demanding job that requires you to move somewhere, but then often so is being a CEO. Does that mean CEOs deserve government funded child care?

The point behind the criticism here isn't the expense, it's that he's accepting money from taxpayers *above and beyond his salary* for child care after campaigning against giving anyone exactly that.

Is it earth shattering? No. But it *is* hypocritical, and it's pretty funny to see people who would easily have called out Harper on something similar get defensive about it. Accept it and move on.

Silexx

This is a reductive comparison. The issue is that when he was campaigning he explicitly said he did not need a subsidy for child care paid for by the government, and people who make as much as he does in general don't. Being PM is a demanding job that requires you to move somewhere, but then often so is being a CEO. Does that mean CEOs deserve government funded child care?

The point behind the criticism here isn't the expense, it's that he's accepting money from taxpayers *above and beyond his salary* for child care after campaigning against giving anyone exactly that.

Is it earth shattering? No. But it *is* hypocritical, and it's pretty funny to see people who would easily have called out Harper on something similar get defensive about it. Accept it and move on.

His point during the campaign was that he didn't need 'extra' help from the government in the form of child care subsidies. What is happening here is that Trudeau is simply using his allocated budget for staffing his residence. Remember that he let go some chef assistant when he was moving in. He's likely reallocating that for nannies. So no hypocrisy here.

Conservatives complaining about Trudeau kids getting public childcare, lol I get it.

but when pro $15 a day daycare NDPers complain about it? hahahaha

Kifimbo

What is happening here is that Trudeau is simply using his allocated budget for staffing his residence. Remember that he let go some chef assistant when he was moving in. He's likely reallocating that for nannies. So no hypocrisy here.

He (well, his wife) hired another chef.

Still not a good comparison though. If the CEO used company resources for childcare do you think the stockholders would bat an eye? If you're paying somebody a lot of money to do a highly specialized task almost 24 hours a day, it's worthwhile to hire people at a lower paygrade to handle more general tasks.

maharg

idspispopd
Still not a good comparison though. If the CEO used company resources for childcare do you think the stockholders would bat an eye? If you're paying somebody a lot of money to do a highly specialized task almost 24 hours a day, it's worthwhile to hire people at a lower paygrade to handle more general tasks.

There are definitely shareholders who would have an issue with this.

But that's irrelevant. Again, the line item is not the point. The point is what he campaigned on and what he's doing.

There are definitely shareholders who would have an issue with this.

But that's irrelevant. Again, the line item is not the point. The point is what he campaigned on and what he's doing.

Did he campaign on never hiring a nanny or on not using his office budget?

Kifimbo

Did he campaign on never hiring a nanny or on not using his office budget?

If he has enough money in his office budget to hire two nannies, he sould slash his office budget. He said it himself during the campaign. He's rich enough already, the government should not give him money to pay for childcare.

If he has enough money in his office budget to hire two nannies, he sould slash his office budget. He said it himself during the campaign. He's rich enough already, the government should not give him money to pay for childcare.

You can subtract it out of however much money he saves us by stopping the government sponsored political ads. The demands on an MP are much, much different than the demands on a PM.

Kifimbo

You can subtract it out of however much money he saves us by stopping the government sponsored political ads. The demands on an MP are much, much different than the demands on a PM.

Using that same logic, when Harper "saved us" from the sponsorship scandal, he was allowed to spend money on personal matter as long as it was less that $250 million ?

Gonna need a citation for $250 million.
And again, you can't really equate the demands on the life of an MP to the demands on the life of a PM. An MP wouldn't need to hire two nannies.

Why is this even a controversy?

You gonna make Trudeau pay rent on his housing as well? Man he should be driving his own pre-owned Ford Focus to work, or take OCTranspo like the rest of us.

maharg

idspispopd
Until I find out he's spending vastly more in his office than his predecessors I'm going to continue to treat this as the non-issue it is.

You keep treating this like a government benefit, which it isn't.

I'm not sure how many times I have to reiterate that it's not a matter of the cost of it before I just assume you're just being deliberately obtuse.

Oh. I just found out how many times.

gabbo

That's all you think they'd accomplish by creating a branch of the party there? Really?

NDP are unions first and bloat the public sector first party

Quebec's problem is a gigantic bloated public sector filled with bureaucrats for life who save their own asses and give themselves title changes while they cut real public service workers at the bottom

NDP are unions first and bloat the public sector first party

Quebec's problem is a gigantic bloated public sector filled with bureaucrats for life who save their own asses and give themselves title changes while they cut real public service workers at the bottom

Not really. Provincially they are usually quite fiscally responsible. In Saskatchewan they were actually fiscally conservative. They did support unions in terms of rights and labour board stuff, but they massively cut government spending after the PCs nearly destroyed our economy/government in the 80s.

Llyranor

I'll take a non-separatist alternative to the trash Quebec Liberal trash, thanks. Don't need Couillard and Barrette slowly eroding our public heathcare system, but not going to vote for a party that doesn't want to be part of the country either.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Quebec Solidaire is literally the party I would want to be a part of if I lived in Quebec... except for the whole sovereignty thing.

It's too bad you guys don't really have any left-wing parties that also want to stay in Canada.

Not really. Provincially they are usually quite fiscally responsible. In Saskatchewan they were actually fiscally conservative. They did support unions in terms of rights and labour board stuff, but they massively cut government spending after the PCs nearly destroyed our economy/government in the 80s.
I don't know anything about Saskatchewan politics, but what did the NDP do that was so bad that they convinced the Liberals and Conservatives to merge? Was it simply because they just kept on winning?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
QS are pipe dreaming hippies, too leftist even for me. And they're separatists so fuck them. I'd rather have a provincial NDP to be honest. There isn't a left-wing non-separatist provincial party of note right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom