• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

Dollar slowly pushing for that 71 cents, broke it today but went back to 70 cents and now very close to 71. I've been watching the dollar every business day as I'm about to travel for a year so every cent lost or gained can end up being like a thousand or two lost or gained. And it's been recovering decently ever since the BoC stayed on interest rates.

People are too doom and gloom in Canada.

If the dollar can stabilize at ~70 cents, that would be wonderful, at which point we would just need to wait out Saudi Arabia's buffoonery.

However, what about Iran re-entering the global energy markets? Will that push the dollar down even more, regardless if the KSA starts cutting back on supply?

Gitaroo

Iran and US are the biggest issues, Saudi and Russia seems like they are at least trying to work things out, probably very hard. Rest of non Opec has already cut their supply which is why the oil price is going back up. Everyone needs to work together, some price fixing here to boost the price back up. Probably illegal but the world kinds of turn to shit when the oil is down though beside China economy slow down. When oil is back up to 50-70 dollars or higher, nothing will stop new companies coming in and we may face the same oversupply issue again. Canada is a different case, we are stuck with very little exports to the rest of the world, the moment US said they will stop buying oil from Canada we are done no matter what the price is at, even if it cost 150 a barrel we got noway to get them out of AB and Sas. This is why energy east and northern gateway pipelines must happen and best time to build them now and be ready when the price is back up.

mo60

Screen-Shot-2016-01-26-at-3.36.48-PM.png

LOL

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/01/26/the-...n-economy-but-theyre-not-blaming-trudeau-yet/

1% of liberals don't like the direction of the government. How is that even possible?

There's already been the one sad backtrack on Saudi tank sales. Trudeau's got some breathing room on TPP since it's two years to ratify... voting reform is the next big test on the left side. Monsef is saying all the right things though.

Unfortunately those tanks provide a lot of jobs in my city. I hate to say it, but I'm pretty glad they didn't scuttle that contract.

SRG01

Trudeau needs to fix the government's definition of broadband, and chance the mistakes that Harper made. 5mb/s should not be a minimum.

As much as I would support this measure, I'd wait and see what a la carte pricing does to the TV market first. Similar to how mandating 2-year contracts actually increased the price of most plans, I'm not sure if mandating a broadband standard will actually be beneficial to Canadian consumers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Dollar slowly pushing for that 71 cents, broke it today but went back to 70 cents and now very close to 71. I've been watching the dollar every business day as I'm about to travel for a year so every cent lost or gained can end up being like a thousand or two lost or gained. And it's been recovering decently ever since the BoC stayed on interest rates.

People are too doom and gloom in Canada.

That housing market is coming down, make no mistake about it.

jstripes

Banned
As much as I would support this measure, I'd wait and see what a la carte pricing does to the TV market first. Similar to how mandating 2-year contracts actually increased the price of most plans, I'm not sure if mandating a broadband standard will actually be beneficial to Canadian consumers.

À la carte pricing is going to be a bloodbath.

The US is going to have to watch us as an example.

SRG01

À la carte pricing is going to be a bloodbath.

The US is going to have to watch us as an example.

The problem with a la carte is that there's no incentive for the service providers to offer competitive rates for each channel, especially since many of the service providers are now content providers as well.

I'm willing to pay a bit more if it means that I won't have to wait 20-30 hours for games to download when I need to play them for work.

maharg

idspispopd
So as of today, Edmonton is the first city in Canada to legislate approval of Uber-style transportation, taking effect March 1st. Hybrid insurance is still no legal, so they'll still be breaking *a* law if they continue to operate after March 1st, but it's a huge step forward and I assume Uber will shift their lobbying to the province now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...in-edmonton-after-city-council-vote-1.3422479

Taxi plate owners are of course apoplectic, but people seem pretty happy about it in general.

You'd probably have faster internet if you paid for a business connection.

It's possible, but I don't think it'd be much faster.

I live out in the country a bit, and the cable line doesn't go as far as my house. We're on DSL, and the only available speeds seem to be 5mb/s right now. A friend upped it to 7mb/s, but that's not our package.

Hoping for Fibe or cable. Planning to petition the companies.

maharg

idspispopd
You'd probably have faster internet if you paid for a business connection.

Business internet tends to be more expensive for the same throughput, not less (when it's provided over cable or dsl, anyways). It usually comes with fewer restrictions, higher caps, and better service, though.

Compare:
http://business.shaw.ca/Internet/BusinessInternet
http://www.shaw.ca/internet/

Note Shaw Business doesn't even go above 30mbit, and the upstream is actually less on Business 30 than normal 30. But the caps are higher.

That's a bummer brother. I'd move.

I'm not out in the middle of nowhere, so hopefully we will be able to get better Internet soon. I'm actually going to put notes up on the mailboxes and hopefully garner interest in a petition.

If I wasn't downloading big games, it wouldn't bother me at all.

I dream of moving, but disabled family members require my help and I'm not independent enough/not working, so it's not a great option right now. I deal with mental illness.

How are these speeds even possible *cries*

My friend lives in a townhouse complex that was just built over the last few years or so, and he's also an employee with the ISP. When I visited, he told me that he got 50mb/s, but now he gets 300mb/s.

I'm very jealous and it depresses me, because he's merely 5-10 minutes away, and practically down the road.

The bottom half of my road can get cable, and use companies like Start.ca to get at least 60mb/s.

Tabris

The issue with all the main internet providers is they cap upload hard.

5035529397.png

This cost is free for me, but I think it works out like 25-30 bucks out of my Strata fee.

5035555930.png

Mines not all that bad... though the real benefit of mine is we pay for unlimited bandwidth

Trudeau needs to fix the government's definition of broadband, and chance the mistakes that Harper made. 5mb/s should not be a minimum.

Upping the limit before something can be called broadband is a good idea, but Robellus will be more than happy to just strip the term from their packages, keep the same price for items under that limit and then up the price of actual broadband while maybe slapping on a surcharge for the change.

That said, if the problem we are trying to fix is access in rural areas, the only way we can realistically handle it is either the government building the infrastructure itself, the government creating an infrastructure fund to incentivize it to be built, or the telecom industry suddenly finds itself being altruistic and building it itself.

Of course though, the third will never happen, we already tried the second option and it was mostly used to embellish profits, so what's left over is the first... or the second, granted the government states that they will legally slaughter any corporation that uses the fund and does not have any improvements to show for it.

I personally think I would prefer if they reformed the CRTC to include Consumer Protection of it's industries within it's mandate. You know, something that forces them to go for the throat of our Telecom and Cable Industry. Another good idea would be legislation forcing companies to share their infrastructure at a reasonable price.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One thing I don't understand how the CRTC created the conditions that allow for broadband reselling but failed so tremendously when it comes to mobile data. It's a bit absurd that mobile data plans continue to rise in price annually, with all three carriers raising their prices at exactly the same time, and no one can do a thing about it.

LakeEarth

And here I am about to try to haggle Teksavvy to get 30Mbps without paying the full $58 (just raised my 18Mbps rate to $48; same cap). I think I may be being cheap.

It's $70 for 100Mbps but I can't justify it with an upcoming wedding and an imploding car.

The issue with all the main internet providers is they cap upload hard.

5035529397.png

This cost is free for me, but I think it works out like 25-30 bucks out of my Strata fee.

I upload wave files pretty regularly. Wouldn't mind terribly having your upload speed, but 20 isn't the worst.

Pedrito

I think the Globe and Mail might be the next one to get rid of its comment section. It's funny how it went from 90% pro-liberals/NDP to 90% pro-cons in a few weeks, with all the stupid crap you'd expect. Where are these guys gonna head next? You'd think they's be satisfied with their rebel eco chamber.

This was the point of that move, to give provincial governments more space to raise revenue. It was an acknowledgement that the areas of government spending that provinces oversee, such as healthcare and education, were growing rapidly. Provincial governments should raise taxes, so by lowering the GST the provinces could raise taxes without citizens paying more than they were before.

I think you're giving the Conservatives way too much credit here. It was a purely political move. If I remember correctly, there were even some leaked emails to that effect -- that they knew full well how much the cuts would damage government revenue, but they did it anyway because it gave them good coverage in the run-up to Christmas.

1% of liberals don't like the direction of the government. How is that even possible?

I think it's possible for someone to be a Liberal but still not crazy about everything they've done so far. You'd have to engage in some mental gymnastics, and you'd have to be extremely short-term in your thinking, but it's possible.

I think the Globe and Mail might be the next one to get rid of its comment section. It's funny how it went from 90% pro-liberals/NDP to 90% pro-cons in a few weeks, with all the stupid crap you'd expect. Where are these guys gonna head next? You'd think they's be satisfied with their rebel eco chamber.

Not even conservatives want to support the loathsome little toad that is Ezra Levant.

Swimming in Conservative tears.

rjoaBWC.jpg

they're loud though... spreading their misinformation around like some crows
I know lots of NDP voters who were satisfied with Justin's first months.

Swinging the party back to Laurier and Pearson Center-Left was a stroke of genius by the Justin Liberals.

He's got a majority of NDP supporters happy with him

Long time NDP supporter here who is happy with the Liberal government for now for its focus on tech, innovation and equality ideals that they are presenting currently

Wtf, I'm in Toronto on 28/1 with teksavvy costing me like $60 a month after taxes

That's why I'm ditching Teksavvy next month. My gradfathered 25/2 plan is going up to $50/month. For the exact same money I got Start.ca's 30/5 plan. I can use the modem I already have and got a free transfer, too, plus they have the same perks as Teksavvy (free 2am-8am downloads and unlimited uploads). The cap is 100GB less, though, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue in my case.

How loud are they, though? It appears many people are not believing anything coming out of the CPC camp.

lol true but anywhere on social media they jump out and shout as if the new government is driving us to the ground

or the twist the truth.... anything to make the Liberal government or the NDP government in Alberta look bad

Apathy

That's why I'm ditching Teksavvy next month. My gradfathered 25/2 plan is going up to $50/month. For the exact same money I got Start.ca's 30/5 plan. I can use the modem I already have and got a free transfer, too, plus they have the same perks as Teksavvy (free 2am-8am downloads and unlimited uploads). The cap is 100GB less, though, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue in my case.

Yeah, I hate that my plan is going up and zap the cap is going away. I go well over 300 gigs a month so I can't switch to start. I have been looking at Ebox cause you can get a 1tb download cap for about the same price as teksavvy 30/ down plan, but I haven't heard enough/heard some bad stories about them. For the time being Teksavvy is my only real option (specially since rogers/bell only have the price that kinda matches teksavvy for the first 3 months of your contract).

mo60

I think it's possible for someone to be a Liberal but still not crazy about everything they've done so far. You'd have to engage in some mental gymnastics, and you'd have to be extremely short-term in your thinking, but it's possible.

I thought it would be at least 5%, but not 1%. Let's hope the Liberals keep their supporters happy.

maharg

idspispopd
The CPC may block the repeal of the controversial union laws: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mihychuk-union-financing-bill-1.3423506

Interesting if they do, as the CPC will be described as obstructionist to Parliament and lose even more popular support from moderate conservatives.

This is a minefield for both as the most obvious solution, packing the remaining open seats in the Senate with liberals, goes directly against Trudeau's stated goal of a non-partisan Senate.

Right now I don't think the cpc have much to lose in forcing Trudeau's hand on this, and "centre right" voters in Canada are pretty anti-union. Really I think much like people are happy to sell military equipment to Saudi Arabia so long as it keeps factories open, people who are already prone to traditionalist thinking are happy to let the Senate block the big bad unions from making them pay dues, even if they have mixed feelings about the Senate.

Pedrito

The CPC is such a waste of space in question period. The NDP MPs ask specific questions on relevant topics. CPC MPs ask a variation of:
-Why do you hate Alberta?
-Why are you trying to destroy the economy?
-Why do you hate freedom?
-Why are you supporting terrorism?
-Why are you not allowing oil companies to do whatever they want?

and of course:

-Will you hold a referendum on voting reform? (after being said probably not about 10 times already).

The CPC is such a waste of space in question period. The NDP MPs ask specific questions on relevant topics. CPC MPs ask a variation of:
-Why do you hate Alberta?
-Why are you trying to destroy the economy?
-Why do you hate freedom?
-Why are you supporting terrorism?
-Why are you not allowing oil companies to do whatever they want?

and of course:

-Will you hold a referendum on voting reform? (after being said probably not about 10 times already).

CPC is joke honestly

these guys run on high end hypocrisy and misinformation

they will try heavily and convince you that their argument is valid but a simple Google search shows their flawed logic or hypocrisy every single time....

I mean the SA deal is going through but the CPC acts as if they were allways against it even though they were the ones to make the deal... Plus these guys jump and blame everyone for everything but bring out no solutions but instead wish wash their way with loud shouting in order to showcase their so called "RIGHT" thinking.

They are all over the place and all one liners with no actual substance.... Hopefully they drop heavily in relevance and Canadians, especially the future generation don't waste their time with such clowns.

CPC is joke honestly

these guys run on high end hypocrisy and misinformation

they will try heavily and convince you that their argument is valid but a simple Google search shows their flawed logic or hypocrisy every single time....

I mean the SA deal is going through but the CPC acts as if they were allways against it even though they were the ones to make the deal... Plus these guys jump and blame everyone for everything but bring out no solutions but instead wish wash their way with loud shouting in order to showcase their so called "RIGHT" thinking.

They are all over the place and all one liners with no actual substance.... Hopefully they drop heavily in relevance and Canadians, especially the future generation don't waste their time with such clowns.

My favorite is when they accused Trudeau of not caring about science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom