• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apathy

Woohoo, my career as a political pundit begins in the new issue of Maclean's, with my trenchant insight into an article suggesting what Jeremy Corbyn could learn from Justin Trudeau!

Macleans%20Letter_zpsxytqcqld.jpg

Quick, message CBC and get on PnP

Azih

What benefits actually come from signing? I really hope it's not ratified, at least not as is.

From the article linked. It's seem like it's a bit of a formality but also there are some concessions for 'original signatories' of the TPP which Canada would miss out on if it didn't sign at this point.

gabbo

From the article linked. It's seem like it's a bit of a formality but also there are some concessions for 'original signatories' of the TPP which Canada would miss out on if it didn't sign at this point.

Ah, so right now, other than what the article mentions, we're in the dark on what it gets us ('signing bonus' aside)

I'm alright with signing. Not okay with ratifying.

I was about to ask what the difference was, but then I saw she actually explains in the link:

Signing does not equal ratifying. Only a majority vote in our Parliament can allow the Agreement to take force. Signing is simply a technical step in the process, allowing the TPP text to be tabled in Parliament for consideration and debate before any final decision is made. All other countries will follow the same process, and each has up to two years to consider ratification before making a final determination. In addition, it is important to note that signing next week preserves Canada’s status as a potential full partner in the Agreement, with all of the rights and powers that go with it.

Speaking of trade agreements...I'm wondering what's going to happen with the Canada-EU trade pact. Harper liked touting it as one of his big accomplishments, even though it hadn't even been signed or ratified by most of the EU member states. Now it's coming out that Trudeau and Freeland are having to do quite a bit of legwork to keep the deal alive. Did Harper actually do anything useful during his decade as PM?

gabbo

I was about to ask what the difference was, but then I saw she actually explains in the link:

Speaking of trade agreements...I'm wondering what's going to happen with the Canada-EU trade pact. Harper liked touting it as one of his big accomplishments, even though it hadn't even been signed or ratified by most of the EU member states. Now it's coming out that Trudeau and Freeland are having to do quite a bit of legwork to keep the deal alive. Did Harper actually do anything useful during his decade as PM?

He made people think government shouldn't provide services to its citizens?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Stupid media keeps repeating that cauliflower is $8. Just heard it on Bloomberg in a report on the low loonie. Idiots.

And lowered the GST I guess. Too bad here in QC they just raised the QST. :(

Lowered the GST, didn't bother replacing that income, cut costs by offloading it all to other levels of government leaving huge budget holes in almost every province and many cities... some legacy.

I'd rather the GST had just stayed high. In retrospect I'm kinda OK with NS raising the HST right back up to 15%.

Silexx

Lowered the GST, didn't bother replacing that income, cut costs by offloading it all to other levels of government leaving huge budget holes in almost every province and many cities... some legacy.

I'd rather the GST had just stayed high. In retrospect I'm kinda OK with NS raising the HST right back up to 15%.

Seriously, for the extra cents it would cost me, I'd rather have the HST at 15% just because it's easier for me to do the math in my head.

Like Pedrito said, how was lowering the GST useful? I know it's nice to get a few cents off purchases, but I don't think saving a few bucks here and there was worth the hole that it blew in federal revenues -- and, more importantly, on the way it negatively impacted the government's ability to adequately fund its spending.

He eliminated the penny.

I feel like Harper eliminating the penny was sort of like his promise to introduce a gender-neutral O Canada: a pointless little move that didn't really impact the country one way or another, but that he pursued because it meant he wouldn't have to do anything substantive. I know that he was allegedly a big believer in a small government, but now that we can look back on the last decade, it feels like his ideas about the meaning of "small government" aren't all that different from "lazy". Like, he was able to muster up outrage towards Russia, on behalf of Israel/pipelines, or against the Liberals, but when it came to actually doing anything, he seemed pretty content to only take half-measures that didn't achieve much.

Pedrito

I feel like the conservatives are even more insufferable now that they are the opposition. When they were in power, they would do stuff and not talk about it. Now, we get to hear them whine about pipelines, airstrikes and deficit all day every day. And they get so much more air time because they now talk to the press and speak in question period.

I feel like Harper eliminating the penny was sort of like his promise to introduce a gender-neutral O Canada: a pointless little move that didn't really impact the country one way or another, but that he pursued because it meant he wouldn't have to do anything substantive. I know that he was allegedly a big believer in a small government, but now that we can look back on the last decade, it feels like his ideas about the meaning of "small government" aren't all that different from "lazy". Like, he was able to muster up outrage towards Russia, on behalf of Israel/pipelines, or against the Liberals, but when it came to actually doing anything, he seemed pretty content to only take half-measures that didn't achieve much.

In 50 years, no one will talk about him. He was just "there". No major achievement to speak of.

Silexx

It must be nice being a rich who doesn't give a shit on tax increase.

A 2% increase on a goods and service tax is negligible on an individual. Besides, sound fiscal policy would dictate that you would offset an increase in GST with a cut to income tax, which is much better at alleviating financial burden on tax payers.

Finally, if you are in a position where a GST increase would have a negative impact on you, you should probably look into the GST Credit.

Azih

It must be nice being a rich who doesn't give a shit on tax increase.

It's not about being rich. It's about the 200 or so dollars a year I would save instead being used to build good transit for my son to use. (I've given up on it being for me. Skinflints and tax haters in the 80s and 90s saved their freaking money and left my generation with shit infrastructure. Some of it would have been built already if it wasn't for rich man Rob Fucking Ford fucking Transit City up)

Mayor Coderre is full of shit, (like 8 billion gallons of human waste full of shit)

Coderre pumps his chest with his all talk green-Eco-friendly bullshit being against plastic bags, against wood stove burners and against Albertan oil
but but but but but
he authorized a dump of 8 billion gallons of raw sewage into the St-Laurence River

Coderre is nicknamed Kid-Kodak for a reason.

I'm a centrist Liberal and I approve of Energy East.

Pedrito

Mayor Coderre is full of shit, (like 8 billion gallons of human waste full of shit)

Coderre pumps his chest with his all talk green-Eco-friendly bullshit being against plastic bags, against wood stove burners and against Albertan oil
but but but but but
he authorized a dump of 8 billion gallons of raw sewage into the St-Laurence River

Coderre is nicknamed Kid-Kodak for a reason.

I'm a centrist Liberal and I approve of Energy East.

Coderre, 80+ mayors and the majority of the population.

I'm surprised you're not gloating about PKP. I'm almost starting to feel sorry for the poor guy. Sinking popularity, a tax avoidance "scandal" and a divorce after less than 6 months of marriage. Ouch!

Coderre, 80+ mayors and the majority of the population.

I'm surprised you're not gloating about PKP. I'm almost starting to feel sorry for the poor guy. Sinking popularity, a tax avoidance "scandal" and a divorce after less than 6 months of marriage. Ouch!

PKP is the gift that keeps on giving but he's going through a 2nd seperation with his wife/gf, so I will cut him some slack while Julie is leaving him.

as for Montreal, LAVAL and the moronic mayors of the 514 and 450 region. They are all hypocrites.

I'm a Liberal Centrist and I agree with Brad Wall of Saskatchewan. Quebec loves to eat up equalization payments even when they are from dirty oil but then cry like babies when the West wants to improve their output requiring the help from the East

The East has to do their part in this Confederation. Coderre can spend 34 million dollars on pretty light for the J-C Bridge but that money used to light up that bridge for the anniversary is done with Oil Sand Money too, like or not.

Coderre = Kid-Kodak

jstripes

Banned
Seriously, for the extra cents it would cost me, I'd rather have the HST at 15% just because it's easier for me to do the math in my head.

I doubt Trudeau's gonna do that. At least, not for a few years.

Raising the HST would sink the Ontario Liberals. They've already got enough piled against them, and that would be the last straw. So Wynne's not gonna try it either.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wasn't even aware PKP was divorcing. It hasn't even been 6 months lol. Wonder what happened between August and now.

Whatever it was... imadeahugemistake.gif

Kifimbo

I wasn't even aware PKP was divorcing. It hasn't even been 6 months lol. Wonder what happened between August and now.

Relationship was shaky before the marriage. Separation at the start of 2015, counseling, etc. She even arrived late at the marriage. The whole event felt like an attempt to rekindle the flame AND a political/publicity stunt.

Silexx

I doubt Trudeau's gonna do that. At least, not for a few years.

Raising the HST would sink the Ontario Liberals. They've already got enough piled against them, and that would be the last straw. So Wynne's not gonna try it either.

Indeed, any hike in either the GST or HST is not politically viable at this point.

PKP now wishes he never entered politics, he is really bad at it. Threatening to sue Radio-Canada and La Presse for reporting on Quebecor tax havens abroad LOL

I don't hate PKP anymore because he is guaranteeing the PQ to lose in 2018 awarding Couillard a 2nd term. PKP is doing worse than Marois, LOL

Tiktaalik

This was the point of that move, to give provincial governments more space to raise revenue. It was an acknowledgement that the areas of government spending that provinces oversee, such as healthcare and education, were growing rapidly. Provincial governments should raise taxes, so by lowering the GST the provinces could raise taxes without citizens paying more than they were before.

the GST cut was the stupidest move Harper has ever done. Consumers barely see any difference while Ottawa feels the bigger impact with less revenue.

The only good thing Harper has done was the Tax Free Savings Account

This was the point of that move, to give provincial governments more space to raise revenue. It was an acknowledgement that the areas of government spending that provinces oversee, such as healthcare and education, were growing rapidly. Provincial governments should raise taxes, so by lowering the GST the provinces could raise taxes without citizens paying more than they were before.

No, the point of the move was to win an election.

And it's not even at all to just cut transfers and hope provincial politicians commit political suicide by raising the PST or their portion of the HST. Transfers are done per population, but if you're trying to compensate with an HST rise in say NS or PEI where per capita GDP is much lower you're looking at less money, and lower standards of government services (like healthcare) or higher taxes -- something very un-Canadian.

At best you could say all of this was just a horrible attempt at reducing the scope of government at the provincial/municipal levels.

Pedrito

PKP now wishes he never entered politics, he is really bad at it. Threatening to sue Radio-Canada and La Presse for reporting on Quebecor tax havens abroad LOL

I don't hate PKP anymore because he is guaranteeing the PQ to lose in 2018 awarding Couillard a 2nd term. PKP is doing worse than Marois, LOL

I'd be really surprised if he makes it to the election.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's a shame that Quebec is pretty much stuck with PQ vs PLQ. CAQ is barely worth mentioning.
And as long as PQ is stuck with their separatism ideals, a lot of people(like me) will never vote for them. So... yeah... I just wish PQ would give up on seperation just I could look at the rest of their program more seriously. Will that happen one day? Not with PKP I think.

It's a shame that Quebec is pretty much stuck with PQ vs PLQ. CAQ is barely worth mentioning.
And as long as PQ is stuck with their separatism ideals, a lot of people(like me) will never vote for them. So... yeah... I just wish PQ would give up on seperation just I could look at the rest of their program more seriously. Will that happen one day? Not with PKP I think.
Yup, it sucks about Quebec provincial politics that we are forced to vote for a shitty Qc Liberal Party that is incompetent because the other parties are way too nationalistic or just plain separatist.

the ubber-Nationalism identity crisis Quebec has keeps it from progressing or evolving politically past their boring ass debates about who has the bigger Nationalistic dick Contest.

Quebec provincial politics suck ass balls.

Even if the NDP ever decides to open up a Provincial Party here, they will be forced to play the stupid game like the other parties of ''I am more Nationalistic then You Are!!'' game

Thank God we have Trudeau in Ottawa

Yup, it sucks about Quebec provincial politics that we are forced to vote for a shitty Qc Liberal Party that is incompetent because the other parties are way too nationalistic or just plain separatist.

the ubber-Nationalism identity crisis Quebec has keeps it from progressing or evolving politically past their boring ass debates about who has the bigger Nationalistic dick Contest.

Quebec provincial politics suck ass balls.

Even if the NDP ever decides to open up a Provincial Party here, they will be forced to play the stupid game like the other parties of ''I am more Nationalistic then You Are!!'' game

Thank God we have Trudeau in Ottawa

Politics in general just sucks at any level other than Federal. It's a shame that all the Heavyweights tend to leave the Provincial levels to fend for themselves while they are off vying for role of Prime Minister.

Politics in general just sucks at any level other than Federal. It's a shame that all the Heavyweights tend to leave the Provincial levels to fend for themselves while they are off vying for role of Prime Minister.

Federal is better because you have the choice between Right vs Center vs Left. Something that Quebec does not have due to exorbitant Nationalism distorting the Left and Right scale

Slavik81

the GST cut was the stupidest move Harper has ever done. Consumers barely see any difference while Ottawa feels the bigger impact with less revenue.
The Liberals ran on eliminating the GST then went back on their word when elected. Harper promised something more reasonable and actually delivered. I actually think that was a real success.

It made a noticeable difference in Alberta, where the GST was the only consumer tax on most goods. It made prices easier to calculate, too.

gabbo

The Liberals ran on eliminating the GST then went back on their word when elected. Harper promised something more reasonable and actually delivered. I actually think that was a real success.

It made a noticeable difference in Alberta, where the GST was the only consumer tax on most goods. It made prices easier to calculate, too.

Not to rile up AlbertaGAF, but that doesn't make the cut good overall for the country.

maharg

idspispopd
I know lots of NDP voters who were satisfied with Justin's first months.

Swinging the party back to Laurier and Pearson Center-Left was a stroke of genius by the Justin Liberals.

He's got a majority of NDP supporters happy with him

A cooked turnip could please NDP supporters for the first few months after a decade of Harper. Don't expect this to last to this degree.

Azih

A cooked turnip could please NDP supporters for the first few months after a decade of Harper. Don't expect this to last to this degree.

There's already been the one sad backtrack on Saudi tank sales. Trudeau's got some breathing room on TPP since it's two years to ratify... voting reform is the next big test on the left side. Monsef is saying all the right things though.

Tabris

Dollar slowly pushing for that 71 cents, broke it today but went back to 70 cents and now very close to 71. I've been watching the dollar every business day as I'm about to travel for a year so every cent lost or gained can end up being like a thousand or two lost or gained. And it's been recovering decently ever since the BoC stayed on interest rates.

People are too doom and gloom in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom