• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancel your preorders. iPad Air (aka iPad 5) and iPad Mini Retina announced.

I still have my iPad 2 that I won :) It is great! Since Apple is still selling it, the OS is still being updated and I can still download the latest apps off the App Store. Obviously, the new iPads have much better performance. I guess the exception would be the iPad 3; they upgraded the display substantially without drastically beefing up the performance.

I absolutely love the 4:3 ratio of the iPads. I have an old convertible Tablet PC with a 4:3 screen, and I was very disappointed when manufacturers started using widescreens instead. I feel that it is ideal for many uses and works very well in both landscape and portrait orientations. It is actually a big reason why I prefer Apple iPads over all the other tablets currently available.

jim2011

I find it funny that the new iPad mini and iPad Air have identical specs, except the size is different, one costs $100 less, and they have different PPIs (due to the size difference, but same resolution).

I feel like the mini will end up selling better.

I'm torn between the two models. Went from the retina iPad to the mini due to weight and comfortability. However, the air is now only a third heavier than the mini. The mini is more portable but my pockets still aren't big enough for it so maybe the air wouldn't be any worse for taking around.

I'm shocked the specs are identical, was totally prepared for another underpowered mini to be the cheaper model. It's making a lot of people reconsider which to get.

Aaron

I find it funny that the new iPad mini and iPad Air have identical specs, except the size is different, one costs $100 less, and they have different PPIs (due to the size difference, but same resolution).

It will. I have an ipad2 and a mini. Again identical specs, but the mini gets much much more use. The size is nearly perfect for everything I use it for, and it's easy for me to bring anywhere. Even with the reduced weight, the ipad has an awkward size. Retina will greatly reduce the bigger screen advantage, at least for me.

What the hell at the mini price bump. Damn it, Apple.

That can't be right. If it is, the mini is going to be the essay choice for a lot of people.

I've never been a fan of the Ipad, but that's quite beautiful.

If there was no consoles releasing this year I would probably finally bite, but I need PS4 and XBONE.

I'm actually canceling my PS4 preorder to get a Nexus 5.

And selling my iPad 4 and Nexus 7 2nd Gen because I never fucking use them.

What? My 2013 Nexus 7 completely swallowed my mobile
and laptop
usage before I traded my Galaxy Nexus for an iPhone 5s.

I can see not having both, but neither?

jim2011

What the hell at the mini price bump. Damn it, Apple.

That can't be right. If it is, the mini is going to be the essay choice for a lot of people.

That was right, that's why the mini got a price bump. It's no longer has years outdated hardware. It and the iPad air have the same A7 processor.

Now it's more like the argument between a 13" or 15" laptop. Same specs but different dimensions.

When will people finally grow tired of getting hyped for tablets that are essentially n+1 iterations?

funny enough thats the main reason i'm not hyped at all for next gen consoles, which actually feel like n-1 compare to my pc atm (need some console exclusives i care about already!).

Your on neogaf anyways where people buy the same 3ds again because there is luigi's hat decal on it. So don't complain!

Let us all waste our money together like gentlemen!

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Looks decent. It might be time to upgrade from my iPad 2 and pick up an Air. I'll wait on the hardware reviews first though; Launch Apple hardware is known to have its issues.

Civ Rev at a higher resolution would be nice.

Danneee

God this fall is going to be expensive:
Playstation 4
GAMES
New sound system
iPhone 5S
Ipad Mini R 32gb cell
New apartment and furniture for that

Giolon

Canceled my Xbone pre-order. iPad Air on the way! I'm upgrading from an iPad 3.

Now the question is 64GB or 128GB - and LTE or not....

Quasar

Could never buy another Apple product after using android. Itunes just sucks so badly.

Can't remember the last time I even used itunes with my ipad.

And whilst I have both android and ios devices I just find android shit for games, especially tablet native games. Maybe that will change one day.

I am gonna stick with my iPad3 and ps4.

It always makes me laugh that people are willing to spend the money on Apple products that have a couple of years of life, but freak out when a console for 8 years launches at 599 or 499 and feel the need to wait for some magical price before making the leap.

Especially true of first gen Apple products that are a pile of shit.

Nosgoroth

I have an iPad 2 and a desire to upgrade to a high-res tablet, but it's a LOT of money.

This one would bring me (limited to what affects me)
+ Retina display.
+ 1GB RAM instead of 512MB. Might be good for concurrent tabs in browser.
+ Weight: -130g (600g -> 470g). Nice, I guess.
+ Size: -6.2mm wide, -1.3mm thick. Eh.
- iOS7. I really don't like how it looks.
- Renders all my cables useless.
- Need a new smart cover (39€)

Yeah, I don't think that's worth 518€.

erawsd

I am gonna stick with my iPad3 and ps4.

It always makes me laugh that people are willing to spend the money on Apple products that have a couple of years of life, but freak out when a console for 8 years launches at 599 or 499 and feel the need to wait for some magical price before making the leap.

Especially true of first gen Apple products that are a pile of shit.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have an iPad 3 and I was def feeling like I really wanted to upgrade this year and I put away extra money for it and I've already pre-sold my iPad a couple weeks ago.

However, there just isn't enough of a gain for me to bother. iPad Air 32GB + case is gonna be ~$670.. even after trading in my old iPad I still have to come up with ~$370. Right now I'm thinking I'll just keep my iPad 3 and use the money to splurge on a WiiU or Vita instead.

damidu

I have an iPad 2 and a desire to upgrade to a high-res tablet, but it's a LOT of money.

+ Retina display.

do we know that it has 1gb ram.

1 or 2 gb ram is actually deciding factor for me this time around. hope its 2

jamsy

Ugh, I wish the Nexus 7 was actually a Nexus 8.

I think the iPad mini screen is the perfect size but I'm not going anywhere near iOS again...

As it is, the Nexus 7 is marginally bigger than my Note 2 and thus a tad too small...

KeRaSh

I won't even remotely consider an iPad as long as they keep their ancient aspect ratio.
The fact that they are still selling iPad 2s for 399$ is just ridiculous. The sad part? People will probably still buy it!
I paid 399$ for my Nexus 10 last year which still has a higher resolution than Apple's new top model. Now 399$ gets me a PS4. This is a no brainer.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You are talking out of your ass here. The retina mini has the a7 processor, which is a beast in terms of performance that kicks the living shit out of the s4 pro in the nexus 7.
The price hike is because the mini now has the same innards as its bigger brother, before the mini would have a soc that was one generation behind, now it's on par instead.

I said that the Nexus 7 as well as the new Kindle Fire have fast processors - not faster ones :)

At this level CPU power doesnt mean much if the device does everything its supposed to do - you wont found many people who have complains about the performance on a Nexus device - especially if you use custom optimized roms. The new iPad Mini is just like a smaller iPad instead of a budget iPad with more modern specs.

But yeah if you wanna have an iOS device it doesnt matter how great the Nexus and Co. are.

CronoShot

What? My 2013 Nexus 7 completely swallowed my mobile
and laptop
usage before I traded my Galaxy Nexus for an iPhone 5s.

I can see not having both, but neither?

Just not a tablet person I guess. When I'm out, I use my phone. When I'm at home, I use my laptop.

Fusebox

Banned

+ Retina display.

Honestly man, it's almost worth it for retina alone, I have an iPad 2 and an iPad 4 and going back to the non-retina display is difficult.

btw: here is a neat trade-in guide of sorts for the lazys.

2013-10-21_09-50-22.png

you can still get quite a decent amount for ipad 2. its crazy.

SmokyDave

I need to try 'em both to decide which to get next. I'm leaning towards the mini because I love the one that I bought for the missus. Not sure I want to give up my larger screen though.

ugh

theyre not even trying anymore
Pretty much exactly what was going through my head as I read through this thread.

smbu2000

The reason I switched from the iPad 3 to the mini was because of the weight difference. I sold the mini about 3 weeks (really missing having an iPad around atm) in anticipation of the lighter iPad release. Getting it down to 1lb is a huge reduction in weight. iPad 3/4 is 1.44lbs! I remember thinking the iPad 2 was light at 1.33lbs, but the Air easily surpassed that.

I was considering the Mini 2, but I do miss the screen size of the bigger iPad. I think I'm going back to the big iPad though. Debating 32gb or 64gb space gray .

I always get excited about new iPads because i think of how great they'd be for games.

...but then I remember that I already have a ton of games on my Android phone and tablet that I already never play. Plants vs. Zombies is about the only thing I play with any regularity, and the sequel just came out on Google Play!

When it really comes down to it for me I only use my tablet for web browsing, podcast listening, and video watching.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Last year's iPad Mini there I presume? I'd like to know for sure that performance is equal.

Yeah, the original iPad Mini. And unless something exceedingly weird happens, the performance should be about the same, with iPhone 5s as the lower limit.

Top Bottom