• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancel your preorders. iPad Air (aka iPad 5) and iPad Mini Retina announced.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
With more things being in the cloud I'm not sure why being able to download files is a good thing. I have both android and iOS devices and I find Android just a messy version of iOS, but meh. I guess we should leave that discussion on the millions of Android vs iOS forums.

I don't think we can even have a conversation if you're not sure why being able to download (and manage) files is a good thing. Of course, if all you want is a content consumption device and you're fine with being in Apple's ecosystem, then iOS can't be beat.

The thing is, though, is that these devices are becoming so much more capable as the years go on. The simplicity and lack of freedom kind of made sense when the hardware was more limited, but there is some serious processing power on these things now. I like Apple's interface design in general, and it's a big part of why I like iOS, but I can't help but feel how restrictive it feels.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I have a samsung galaxy
I have a laptop

Please, tell me why I would ever need a tablet?

You don't.

I wish people would stop being so offended when people make products that aren't for them.

"Sanitary towels? But I'm a man! What's the fucking point?! Death to Procter & Gamble!"

KorrZ

With more things being in the cloud I'm not sure why being able to download files is a good thing. I have both android and iOS devices and I find Android just a messy version of iOS, but meh. I guess we should leave that discussion on the millions of Android vs iOS forums.

Really? You can't see why having a local copy would be a good thing?

No thank you; not wasting my money on a glorified smartphone. The only use I had with my kindle was reading books, so I just sold it and got a Kobo.

I have a samsung galaxy
I have a laptop

Sounds like you don't unless you happened to do a lot of reading of larger format materials. But for those of us who don't have a laptop or a smartphone, the iPad can fill those roles nicely.

As appealing as the lighter air is, I'm going to hang on to my iPad 3 for another cycle. It's primarily a work (writing/note taking) device and still runs perfectly fine.

monlo

You don't.

I wish people would stop being so offended when people make products that aren't for them.

"Sanitary towels? But I'm a man! What's the fucking point?! Death to Procter & Gamble!"

I wish people wouldn't assume others are offended

muu

I don't think we can even have a conversation if you're not sure why being able to download (and manage) files is a good thing. Of course, if all you want is a content consumption device and you're fine with being in Apple's ecosystem, then iOS can't be beat.

The thing is, though, is that these devices are becoming so much more capable as the years go on. The simplicity and lack of freedom kind of made sense when the hardware was more limited, but there is some serious processing power on these things now. I like Apple's interface design in general, and it's a big part of why I like iOS, but I can't help but feel how restrictive it feels.

For years I've done the ipad & home base desktop routine for this reason. There is decent power on the tablets now but the controls still suck for a lot of hardcore use cases. The combo lets me do a lot more, I can remote in as necessary, etc.

I'm fairly sure the PS4 will be perfectly capable of playing PS1 games eventually. Which means FF6 will be playable.

the day when you have to choose between the horrid psx version of ff6 vs w/e horrid looking ios 'remaster' looks like.

fuck.

Am I the only weirdo that has a nexus 7 2013 and ipad mini 1st gen? Oddly enough i enjoy using the mini more. 4:3 is just right for tablets. the killer screen on the nexus is excellent for videos though.

Eusis

I have a samsung galaxy
I have a laptop

Reading books/magazines/guides/whatever in a larger, handheld format would actually be a pretty good reason, depending on your tolerance for reading on a smaller display and what Galaxy you have exactly. Certainly iPhone-size screens weren't cutting it for me.

chadskin

Will buy the Air day one. Perfect update. 1 pound? Seriously? That's some fine engineering and makes those full size tablets finally usable for reading.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really? You can't see why having a local copy would be a good thing?

Even just for simple things like, hey I just bought this album on Amazon and I'd like to play it on my iPhone.

Sure, you can do that now. You can even download the songs to your device to be played locally. Your iPhone won't recognize them, though, because you didn't sync them through iTunes. You have to open up the Amazon Cloud Player, with a different interface, to play them.

If you want to get them to show up in your Music app with the rest of your songs, you'll need to download the album to a PC, put them in your iTunes library, and sync them with your phone. You can't do this on any old computer, though. It needs to be your dedicated iTunes syncing computer and needs to always contain your full library that you want on your phone or you'll lose a bunch of music when you do a sync.

Or... in a world that makes sense, you'd simply be able to drag and drop the files onto your iPhone and have them show up in your Music app. Even better, those songs you downloaded from Amazon directly from your phone would just work.

It's small stuff like this that kind of piles up and gets annoying. I still like the OS, but I wish they'd add some more freedom and power user options.

Would have been neat if apple added something hardware wise to the ipad, things like a usb port, microsd, hdmi or pen support, at least it would have been something more than simply doing the usual improvements like reduce weight etc.

That bezel does look good though.

SRTtoZ

My iPad 2 quickly replaced my laptop. It's a quality of life improvement you cannot appreciate until you've owned one.

This in every way. I made fun of the 'lol its a large iphone' for a while until I got one 6 months ago and I got more use out of this than any device I own.

Ashadur

Neo Member
Going to the store tomorrow to trade-in my iPad3 and Mini to get these bad boys. Apple should of had Retina in the Mini from the get go.

KorrZ

Even just for simple things like, hey I just bought this album on Amazon and I'd like to play it on my iPhone.

Sure, you can do that now. You can even download the songs to your device to be played locally. Your iPhone won't recognize them, though, because you didn't sync them through iTunes. You have to open up the Amazon Cloud Player, with a different interface, to play them.

If you want to get them to show up in your Music app with the rest of your songs, you'll need to download the album to a PC, put them in your iTunes library, and sync them with your phone. You can't do this on any old computer, though. It needs to be your dedicated iTunes syncing computer and needs to always contain your full library that you want on your phone or you'll lose a bunch of music when you do a sync.

Or... in a world that makes sense, you'd simply be able to drag and drop the files onto your iPhone and have them show up in your Music app. Even better, those songs you downloaded from Amazon directly from your phone would just work.

It's small stuff like this that kind of piles up and gets annoying. I still like the OS, but I wish they'd add some more freedom and power user options.

Yup...I don't think I can ever go back to iTunes sync bullshit after switching to Android. Download, drag and drop into music folder...done. Better yet, download on my phone and then cut and paste it into the music folder.

Anyways..I don't want to turn this into Android vs iOS thread.

Because Android is clearly superior :):p

Would have been neat if apple added something hardware wise to the ipad, things like a usb port, microsd, hdmi or pen support, at least it would have been something more than simply doing the usual improvements like reduce weight etc.

That bezel does look good though.

HDMI support has been there since the iPad 2, just costs you an extra $40 for a priority adapter
QCOX6Ps.png

SRTtoZ

Going to the store tomorrow to trade-in my iPad3 and Mini to get these bad boys. Apple should of had Retina in the Mini from the get go.

Cmon you know apple. Why make a device with the best features when you can put out one with minimal features and get people to buy both?

Appleman

I don't think this model alone will bump sales much. Other than the form factor, the performance is the same as the previous version. The growth period of the tablet market seems to be over. I think if Jobs were still around, Apple would be already looking at the next big innovation, but with the current company management, I'm not sure that is happening.

What? The performance of both of these new iPads smokes the previous versions, especially in the case of the mini

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yup...I don't think I can ever go back to iTunes sync bullshit after switching to Android. Download, drag and drop into music folder...done. Better yet, download on my phone and then cut and paste it into the music folder.

Anyways..I don't want to turn this into Android vs iOS thread.

Because Android is clearly superior :):p

In features, it is. In usability and app support, it's not (in my opinion). I just want Apple to match (and surpass) Android in terms of features so I don't have to feel the desire to switch anymore.

Eusis

This in every way. I made fun of the 'lol its a large iphone' for a while until I got one 6 months ago and I got more use out of this than any device I own.
Yeah, once I realized the potential for reading stuff like PDFs I was turned around. Doubly so when I realized it kind of filled the niche a laptop couldn't adequately do so for me (more portable, can leisurely use it in bed or wherever, not redundant compared to my desktop) and it helps the hardware IS getting better and faster very rapidly. Nexus 7 just proved to me the value of tablets even just as a portable web browser really.
Well ones a dedicated for gaming and the other is a tablet that can play games. Take a stab in the dark.
For whatever it's worth I found this should it be reliable enough for PC sales. Like I thought they make a complete embarrassment out of console sales, and should really be treated as the proper comparison for mobile/tablets versus handhelds or game consoles.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
So both the Mini and Air will have spec/performance/RAM/Ghz/whatever parity? Makes the decision about which one to get a little harder.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a samsung galaxy
I have a laptop

unless you have a note, I find smartphones uncomfortable for long browsing sessions. Great when you're out and about but not so much at home.

I had a macbook air plus an ipad. Loved the MBA but eventually found I was doing less and less with it - once I had the ipad all my general web browsing was done on that. I had to keep a computer around for those odd few things that needed it - photo editing mainly for me.

So eventually I sold my laptop and bought a desktop. Now I have a gaming PC which also does my other tasks that a tablet still can't do properly, plus a tablet which is enough for 95% of everything else.

Perfect combination IMO

Eusis

Why? For some lazy couch computing these things are great.
Yeah, I don't see tablets as a fad that will die, so much as the notion of tablets becoming the end all be all of computer use dying. They can't adequately fulfill ALL your computing needs and I can't see them actually killing consoles and probably not handhelds either, but they're an undeniably great tool to have around for casual/portable use.

Sinthor

Gold Member
iPad Mini seems to be a great product but man am I feeling good about my Nexus 7 right about now. For what I actually do with tablets, far better value there.

Yep, nothing wrong with that, man. I agree about people getting too militant about their tablet choices...just like with consoles. :) Bottom line, it doesn't matter. Get the tool that works for YOU!

There are super cheap, "under powered" (at least for tech-snobs) Android tablets available out there and guess what...? For SOME people, those are JUST FINE and will make those users happy.

Not everyone needs the "Cadillac" of the iPad or GalaxyTab, etc.

I personally recommend these to people based on just that. If they really need to be able to run every game and app out there possibly and use their tablet a ton, I recommend they get an iPad. If they just want to surf the web once in a while from the hair salon or something I tell them to get a super cheap alternative tablet. If they are just an Android die hard and don't want to consider anything else, I tell 'em to get a Samsung.

I think it's silly to belittle one product or the other. Competition has helped the Tablet market immensely. Apple wouldn't have the market they have and wouldn't have so many apps, etc., if there wasn't the competition from Samsung and others. Likewise, the iPad has helped to open up the market a good deal to companies who make "budget" tablet devices.

So whatever works. That being said, I don't think the new iPad with the 64-bit processor should be overlooked. This is the real beginning of the convergence between the pure Tablet and the laptop, people. Apple is going to be tying the two together. One of the earlier steps will be letting you run your iPad apps on your desktop or laptop...then comes running your laptop apps on the iPad.

Eventually I believe Tablets will BE our desktop/laptops. You'll just carry them around and when you need a big keyboard or monitor you'll just dock them. I don't think MS is going to get there fully with Windows 8. Just too much bloat and inefficiency...but we'll see. They might.

Ahahaha, come on. 4:3 is better for 90% of tablet use cases other than watching video

Really? Wide screen works just fine on Wii U, Vita, 3DS, the regular iPad, and every other device. Who in the fuck releases a device with 4:3 screens these days? Only Apple can get away with this shit.

And they didn't fix the fucking wallpapers either. Fuck Apple.

zeopower6

IMO if you're going to get a tablet, a Nexus is probably a better buy unless you're really locked into the Apple ecosystem. The cost of entry and upgrading is just way too high... x_x

Eusis

IMO if you're going to get a tablet, a Nexus is probably a better buy unless you're really locked into the Apple ecosystem. The cost of entry and upgrading is just way too high... x_x
A little frustrating that software support is still kind of lame. If you wanted something for, say, Smartglass then unless things changed recently you'd still be better off getting an iPad or even Windows Tablet for that, though the Windows Tablet option is a very special exception for Smartglass that probably applies to just about nothing else.

Then there's the fact companies like SE seem to disproportionately favor iOS which make their apparent desire to focus more on tablets/phones doubly frustrating.

Really? Wide screen works just fine on Wii U, Vita, 3DS, the regular iPad, and every other device. Who in the fuck releases a device with 4:3 screens these days? Only Apple can get away with this shit.

And they didn't fix the fucking wallpapers either. Fuck Apple.

Um, you do realize that both iPads are 4:3, right?

Top Bottom