• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancel your preorders. iPad Air (aka iPad 5) and iPad Mini Retina announced.

chadskin

Really? Wide screen works just fine on Wii U, Vita, 3DS, the regular iPad, and every other device. Who in the fuck releases a device with 4:3 screens these days? Only Apple can get away with this shit.

And they didn't fix the fucking wallpapers either. Fuck Apple.

Hate to burst your bubble but ... the "regular" iPad has a 4:3 display as well. Vita, 3DS and Wii U are gaming devices, unlike the iPad(s). I much prefer a 4:3 display on a tablet. If PC monitors in 4:3 weren't so expensive (and rare), I'd ditch my 16:10 display in a heartbeat.

Really? Wide screen works just fine on Wii U, Vita, 3DS, the regular iPad, and every other device. Who in the fuck releases a device with 4:3 screens these days? Only Apple can get away with this shit.

And they didn't fix the fucking wallpapers either. Fuck Apple.

It's weird but not something someone can comprehend unless they have both hand by hand.

Regular iPad is 4:3 too btw. And browsing the web on 3ds and vita kinda suck.

Um, you do realize that both iPads are 4:3, right?

No, I did not, but thanks for correcting me.

Hate to burst your bubble but ... the "regular" iPad has a 4:3 display as well. Vita, 3DS and Wii U are gaming devices, unlike the iPad(s). I much prefer a 4:3 display on a tablet. If PC monitors in 4:3 weren't so expensive (and rare), I'd ditch my 16:10 display in a heartbeat.

Wow, OK. I would definitely not. Let 4:3 die already.

I would totally get a 4:3 monitor for work. But I'm fine with having vertical 16:9 monitors. :)

16:9 is really only good for movies and console style games. Which aren't really things I do on a tablet.

Paskil

What would I need an iPad for that I can't already do with my laptop or PC? I understand that for certain people, they are helpful and can fit a niche for their work or play that might not otherwise be filled. For gaming though? Get out of here with that shit. I owned a Touchpad that I upgraded to ICS and after using it a few times, it has been sitting in the same spot across the room gathering dust for the last 16 months.

Eusis

16:9/16:10 is great for games, movies and pictures, not so much for reading and writing documents, work in general really.
Actually I believe 16:10 became popular for awhile on computer displays because it was better for text reading than 16:9, and 16:9 really does come off as too large. Just 1080p got so popular and practically shoved aside other options, at least out of the realm of being high resolution AND affordable. Great for games that will just letterbox non-16:9 images though, though at the same time a 1920x1200 would've given you a 1080p image when letterboxed.

Eusis

Just curious, but can post PS4 and Xbone threads on off topic as well since it does other things than gaming?
I would think inversely that requires non-gaming news like some serious Netflix announcement. And hell, given that I only know of profile support being on PS3 that practically is offtopic PS3 news.

SystemsGo

Banned
My iPad 2 quickly replaced my laptop. It's a quality of life improvement you cannot appreciate until you've owned one.

Carried my Macbook Air while backpacking through New Zealand. Was able to do some work on Dreamweaver which help pay for part of the trip. Don't see how a tablet without peripherals would have helped me there unless I just use it for entertainment purposes like Facebook and youtube.

Yeah, I don't see tablets as a fad that will die, so much as the notion of tablets becoming the end all be all of computer use dying. They can't adequately fulfill ALL your computing needs and I can't see them actually killing consoles and probably not handhelds either, but they're an undeniably great tool to have around for casual/portable use.

I agree, work on your laptop/pc, game on your console/pc/handheld, casual use/browsing on your tablet and stay connected with your smartphone. There is no need for one device to kill another.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Carried my Macbook Air while backpacking through New Zealand. Was able to do some work on Dreamweaver which help pay for part of the trip. Don't see how a tablet without peripherals would have helped me there unless I just use it for entertainment purposes like Facebook and youtube.

Well yeah it's useful if you barely actually use your laptop, otherwise it's simply useful for long journey's.

I was going to get the upgrade mini, but $400 for 16 gigs? Nope. I wanted at least 32gb so that's $500. I'll stick with my ipad 3. Honestly, I wish Apple would make a stylus version of the iPad.

pargonta

Really curious which sells more, ipads or next gen consoles in 1 year.

I'm curious as well. I am also glad to know that video games have their own niche walled off market though, and are not in direct competition with the tablet market, so the answer wont really matter. but yeah it will be interesting to compare the two different markets and see which one is bigger while not directly comparing them.

chadskin

What would I need an iPad for that I can't already do with my laptop or PC? I understand that for certain people, they are helpful and can fit a niche for their work or play that might not otherwise be filled. For gaming though? Get out of here with that shit. I owned a Touchpad that I upgraded to ICS and after using it a few times, it has been sitting in the same spot across the room gathering dust for the last 16 months.

Well, do your laptop and PC have a touch display with games optimized for touch input? It offers something at least these two devices can not. Depends, if you're into it or not. Personally, I'm looking forward to playing Transport Tycoon and (hopefully soon) Rollercoaster Tycoon on the iPad, among others, once I get the Air in my hands. Lots of Final Fantasy games are on iOS, too. There's really so much stuff, some of it only on iOS, that you should give it a second look.

Gaming aside, the main use for me will be to display scripts and Powerpoint presentations in university lectures, with the new Adonit Jot Script for taking some notes in those documents. I also can't wait to read magazines on that beautiful Retina display.

Actually I believe 16:10 became popular for awhile on computer displays because it was better for text reading than 16:9, and 16:9 really does come off as too large. Just 1080p got so popular and practically shoved aside other options, at least out of the realm of being high resolution AND affordable. Great for games that will just letterbox non-16:9 images though, though at the same time a 1920x1200 would've given you a 1080p image when letterboxed.

It is, 16:10 makes a small but noticeable difference for work. I hope there will still be some affordable 16:10 displays in the future if I can't get a 4:3 at a reasonable price (those Eizo ones start at $800 :( ).

So people on average buy a computer every 5 years, a TV every 5 years, and a game console every 5 years, but Apple has managed to market a tablet and a cellphone that needs to be replaced every 2 years. Amazing marketing!

tokkun

It is, 16:10 makes a small but noticeable difference for work. I hope there will still be some affordable 16:10 displays in the future if I can't get a 4:3 at a reasonable price (those Eizo ones start at $800 :( ).

It's really less of an issue with high-resolution monitors. The productivity issue is more about vertical pixels than it is about aspect ratio. On a WQHD monitor I don't have any desire for 16:10, and in fact 16:9 works pretty well for having two documents open side-by-side.

Mini all the way. So sick of the bulk and weight of my iPad 3. Use it all the time and unless it's laying flat, typing is pure shit. Anyone want to buy? 64 gig white.

And strategy, and digital card and board games.

Am curious about the new model in terms of how much more power it brings to the table. Not willing to instantly spring to upgrade my ipad3 though.

Look at the 5S. There's your increase in power (more or less). I do want 2GB of ram this time around, though. No excuses, Apple.

erawsd

Massively disappointed in the "iPad Air", I was looking forward to upgrading -- with a PS4, XboxOne, and new iPad all in November I would have been in tech heaven.

Hopefully, the reason for the name change is that the iPad line will mirror the Macbook line and we'll get an "iPad Pro" early next year.

So people on average buy a computer every 5 years, a TV every 5 years, and a game console every 5 years, but Apple has managed to market a tablet and a cellphone that needs to be replaced every 2 years. Amazing marketing!
The continued sale and support (and production? or maybe they just made too many) of the iPad 2 demonstrates that you don't need to replace your tablet every 2 years.

You're right, there is some great marketing going on. But as with phones today, they're pretty much at the stage of being 'good enough'. They've all become rectangular touchscreens of different sizes, they're all fast enough, and high-res enough to do all the everyday stuff. It'll become more and more difficult to demonstrate why new hardware is important in these classes of devices. Sure, they'll continue to get more powerful, but what really needs more power than what we have now? Gaming? Meh, we still look to home consoles or PCs for the best stuff. Video editing? Do you really have the need to edit that 4K video on a phone or tablet? I'm sure it can wait until you're sat at your desk. Projecting 4K video onto your Tony Stark bedroom window? Do you really need to do that from a phone or tablet? You're in your bedroom with a Tony Stark window... I'm sure there's a much more powerful computer built into the house.

It's just getting ridiculous. Different sizes of rectangles can't be marketed this well forever. The only reason why you'd need to buy a new rectangle is if you broke the last one. But for the simple reason that people are careless, rectangles will be top sellers for many years to come. The marketing push will move to wearable tech soon though, because everyone has a rectangle now.

I'd probably buy an iPad Air if I didn't have an iPhone or an iMac. If I had neither, I'd just buy a laptop or something. I'd get more uses out of it than an iPad. But I would sure love to have an iPad. I just don't need one and I wouldn't play games on it. I dislike the vast majority of mobile games and never play any.

clubstoic

Banned
Im sick of iPads. The middleman between cellphones and laptops is such a contrived market in my opinion. The Surface is such a better concept for tablets. The reason I bring it up is because I would like an iPad with a full OS.

AngryBird

Banned
My iPad 2 quickly replaced my laptop. It's a quality of life improvement you cannot appreciate until you've owned one.

Not being able to use flash and a browser with adblock, sucks for me. Since almost 90% of the time i watch shows/movies online (PFTV)

Sticking with my lappy for now :(

Quasar

Massively disappointed in the "iPad Air", I was looking forward to upgrading -- with a PS4, XboxOne, and new iPad all in November I would have been in tech heaven.

Hopefully, the reason for the name change is that the iPad line will mirror the Macbook line and we'll get an "iPad Pro" early next year.

I seriously doubt that. All it is is trumpeting the weight loss and it continues Apple desire to not number iPads anymore.

Quasar

Look at the 5S. There's your increase in power (more or less). I do want 2GB of ram this time around, though. No excuses, Apple.

I guess what I want to see is what it does in practice. See how much it improves the ability to drive such a high res display for instance.

I do also want to see some example of an app that 64bit enables. I don't think there is one till tablets hits the 4GB RAM barrier.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nice looking device(s), but honestly I couldn't justify the upgrade cost. The main appeal seems to be the form-factor, not the functionality which (to me at least) seems to have been good enough already for several revisions.

Auskeek

I already have a iPad Mini (that I won!) and the only reason I'd want an iPad Mini Retina is to play the hardware intensive iOS ports of big release games like XCOM.

Pretty happy with the iPad I have now, not a big fan of how restrictive iOS is, would have gotten an Android tablet if I had the choice.

CronoShot

I'm actually canceling my PS4 preorder to get a Nexus 5.

And selling my iPad 4 and Nexus 7 2nd Gen because I never fucking use them.

Tygamr

I find it funny that the new iPad mini and iPad Air have identical specs, except the size is different, one costs $100 less, and they have different PPIs (due to the size difference, but same resolution).

I feel like the mini will end up selling better.

Top Bottom