• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Candy Box 2 (October 24th) |OT| Idle, Kill, Repeat \o/

aravuus

I guess all that's left for me to do is
buy the scythe and beat the teapot, devil and developer
. Don't think there's anything else now. Shame.

e: I still don't know what that
x potion
is though

Axass

So far so good, I've reached the castle and have lots of cool stuff.

I have a question though, about the squirrel's second question: is it strictly english-related (seeing as it uses letters) or can anyone understand it? Because english isn't my first language. Don't spoil me the answer please! Just what I asked.

Bah, I popped back open the Candy Box 2 tab and saw my game reset. It still shows my 2 backup saves, does anyone know how to load them?

Go to saves and load the slot you were using (there's an option down below).

Articalys

End-game question:
is there some particular item/trick you need to beat the devil, or can it be done with brute force and strategy? Seems like the former...

FillerB

Just finished. Looking forward to the player generated quests.

End-game question:
is there some particular item/trick you need to beat the devil, or can it be done with brute force and strategy? Seems like the former...

My method:
Use the Boots of Instrospection (Gotten through an X Potion) and spam away with the Black Demon spell. You keep standing in the corner and don't have to worry about the fireballs, only about the things that bird drops. Any decent weapon (scythe yo) makes quick work of them.

I have a question though, about the squirrel's second question: is it strictly english-related (seeing as it uses letters) or can anyone understand it? Because english isn't my first language. Don't spoil me the answer please! Just what I asked.

Yes, and I beat it on my second try but I've friends whose first languages aren't English and they struggled with that question too.

FillerB

Think backwards.

IZZO

Neo Member
I beat the game. I have all the candies i could ever want yet somehow i feel empty inside. I need more adventures. :(

Kerned

Banned
Alternate Monkey Wizard strategy:

Have the red gloves equipped, wait until you pass him, take a turtle potion to reduce damage, and then use healing potions as needed. The random red fireballs you cast will eventually kill him (some go backwards).

Alternate Monkey Wizard strategy:

Have the red gloves equipped, wait until you pass him, take a turtle potion to reduce damage, and then use healing potions as needed. The random red fireballs you cast will eventually kill him (some go backwards).
Here's how I did it:

Pink Gloves. Used 'turtle', used a fireball till I got past him... then just used acid rain. FYI my health was about 250 going in, I think

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
there's allegedly a
purple
fin.

..but I've been in there forever.. not seeing it.

What'd I miss?

:never mind, I had gotten it and didn't notice:

Beat the game.. it's more polished than the first, but lacks something something to make it the experience the first game was.. but then again.. the first was great because it was unexpected.. and it kept being unexpected... there was a lack of fight zones as well.

KarmaCow

Wow, I looked down to play the game, then looked up later and 3 hours had past.

Also quick question,
is there a trick to the teapot? I might just leave my computer on while I sleep otherwise.

Articalys

Just finished. Looking forward to the player generated quests.

My method:
Use the Boots of Instrospection (Gotten through an X Potion) and spam away with the Black Demon spell. You keep standing in the corner and don't have to worry about the fireballs, only about the things that bird drops. Any decent weapon (scythe yo) makes quick work of them.
Thanks, that more or less did the trick after a handful of tries.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what's the deal with the cyclops... I only get 4 things to ask him and no puzzle?

marrec

Banned
Finished the main quest. The puzzles were much more satisfying and the experience felt very crafted. That's kind of a good thing and a bad thing. Discovery wasn't as organic and so the more joyfully insane parts didn't reach quite the highs of the first game. It was more consistently good overall.

That RPG game tho.

garath

Beat it. Definitely a lot less magical than the first one. But I agree with the sentiment that it was a lot more polished and well thought out. I liked the map and all the different areas to go to etc. Just wish there was more actual progression. Felt very very short.

duckroll

Beat it. Was okay I guess. I feel that coming into it as someone who played the crap out of the original makes it feel underwhelming. It's still a pretty smart idea, and he expanded on the presentation a lot, but the core concept feels very much like the first game with more polish and balance, but without more innovation. The most exciting part of the first game was how no one had any idea how anything worked or what could happen as the game continued. That's no longer the case here. :(

marrec

Banned
Beat it. Was okay I guess. I feel that coming into it as someone who played the crap out of the original makes it feel underwhelming. It's still a pretty smart idea, and he expanded on the presentation a lot, but the core concept feels very much like the first game with more polish and balance, but without more innovation. The most exciting part of the first game was how no one had any idea how anything worked or what could happen as the game continued. That's no longer the case here. :(

I was thinking about this last night and I just don't know how you could reproduce the originals pure sense of discovery. It was unlike anything I had played in recent memory and if he had just made that same thing but with different progressions then it would have felt trite.

Going toward a more polished and tradition game made a lot of sense. You can still have a progressional sense of discovery but now you have the expected tropes of the genre you're making the game in. Namely the MUD style RPGs of the 80s and early 90s. Unfortunately he didn't take advantage of any of those tropes and everything kind of happens in the way you'd expect. Though he did subvert a few expectations you brought from Candy Box 1, in the end it's just a very enjoyable minimalist RPG.

inm8num2

Almost to 1000 HP.

I can't beat the developer, hell, or other two large enemies in the castle yet. Pretty much got everything else I should have based on what I've read in here.

I almost solved the cyclops puzzle. Maybe that'll give me the boost I need.

Haven't bothered to make X or P potions yet.

Question:
will the anti-gravity potion help me in the castle room with spikes, or is the effect short-lived?

4500 lollipops/sec, baby!

That was my sentiment as well. Probably the same for any type of these automation games, once your numbers are arbitrarily high enough it just instantly feels hollow ice there's no context to spend them on.

This is just a much better "game," particularly since there no potion bullshittery you have to do to get pat certain bosses, but it ends up feeling like a typical Zelda style game where getting one new item allows you to get another new item in an increasingly linear fashion. There wasn't much diversity near the end game of this, just moments like waiting for the candy count to be large enough to get the
scythe
, for instance.

There's even a repeat of the
developer
fight too.

I don't envy his position though. It's just a fun thing he thing in his spare time, and the sophomore effort is always going to be the creatively hard one.

Top Bottom