• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

capcom makes me SICK!!!

BeOnEdge

Banned
REDRAW YOUR DAMN SPRITES!!!! sweet jesus!!!! WTF is wrong with them??? why are they making new games with 12 year old character sprites and animation??? WHY WHY WHY!!!! why did they cancel capcom allstars for this junk???

http://www.snk-capcom.com/videoz/cfjloke/FightingJam.mov
(save target as)

VS

capcomallstars_jamma_screen001.jpg

capcomallstars_jamma_screen003.jpg

capcomallstars_jamma_screen008.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/capcomf...tars/media.html

BeOnEdge

Banned
its the capcom fighter. capcom fighting jam. great looking backgrounds yet they STILL contunue to use old old old sprites. i saw that demitri sprite back when i was in junior high 12 years ago for god sake. thats just pathetic.

Nos_G

The link works... it just takes a while to load.

And yeah, Capcom needs to start making some hi-rez sprites for their 2d fighting games. :\

XS+

Banned
Agreed with BOE. If they don't want to completely redraw their sprites, Capcom could at least rescan the character drawings in hi-res (a la what SNKP is doing for the KoF '94 remake).

Takuan

I agree whole-heartedly. They really need to get to work and give us some high-resolution 2D goodness. Imagine the clarity of Guilty Gear combined with SF3 animation... mmmmm.

XS+

Banned
Guilty Gear res + SF3 animation = RAM-busting loading problems on current hardware (except for consoles with harddrives I guess).

BenT

BeOnEdge said:
i saw that demitri sprite back when i was in junior high 12 years ago for god sake. thats just pathetic.
DarkStalkers would be ten years ago, unless you're a fellow time traveller. In which case, we should have a drink together.

BeOnEdge

Banned
sheesh. its like nintendo releasing a new mario for GC with snes mario world graphics and animation. why do they do this??? i'm starting to think they cancelled allstars because it was i believe on ps2 arcade hardware and they couldnt get the animation/color the way they wanted it. watch the movies at that last link. allstars could have owned. they shoulda used chihiro or triforce.

BeOnEdge

Banned
BenT said:
DarkStalkers would be ten years ago, unless you're a fellow time traveller. In which case, we should have a drink together.

i'm almost positive darkstalkers is more than 10 years old. unless i played it on a trip back east during my first year of highschool. i even remember the laundromat i played it in on broadway in brownsville. :)

XS+

Banned
i'm starting to think they cancelled allstars because it was i believe on ps2 arcade hardware and they couldnt get the animation/color the way they wanted it. watch the movies at that last link. allstars could have owned. they shoulda used chihiro or triforce.
CFAS looked pretty damn bad (I hated the original characters, and the fighting didn't really look any more precise than Rival Schools). Plus there's already a series of SF games with 3D graphics (that are actually pretty decent games imo).

I wholeheartedly agree that Fighting Jam is a waste of their time, but I don't think that making Street Fighter in 3D is a good idea either.

So Capcom is once again reusing old art, making themselves look dated, but since we're getting a second and third console release of Street Fighter 3rd I think it evens out, because that game was definitely ahead of it's time.

Takuan

Wow, I just watched the video and am floored by its crappiness. The game looks fine, but appears to play pretty much the same as every other CvS game. Granted, the players probably aren't pros but what's in the vid is the same stuff we've been playing for years now. Same old cast (barring a few exceptions), same old moves.

cvxfreak

An insider at Capcom told me that redrawing sprites and such takes a lot of time and effort, especially when every single movement has to be redrawn. Or so the Capcom rep said.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
CVXFREAK said:
An insider at Capcom told me that redrawing sprites and such takes a lot of time and effort, especially when every single movement has to be redrawn. Or so the Capcom rep said.

that, is a bold faced lie!

Anyanka

Darkstalkers came out in 1994.

I am so tired of Capcom's recent games. They really need to stop messing around and do SF IV.

This argument is silly because you are referring to Capcom Fighting Jam (or whatever it's now called). It is a "compilation" of Capcom's previous fighters that have been blended together into one package mixing the different universes created for each franchise. Recycling shouldn't be a problem in this instance. Some of you are just finding another reason to bitch about Capcom's ridiculous sprite recycling when it's not really appropriate in the context of the game their making. No one seems to be bitching about SF Anniversary's sprite recycling. If we were talking about SF4 here this complaint would be deemed more warrented.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BeOnEdge said:
sheesh. its like nintendo releasing a new mario for GC with snes mario world graphics and animation. why do they do this??? i'm starting to think they cancelled allstars because it was i believe on ps2 arcade hardware and they couldnt get the animation/color the way they wanted it. watch the movies at that last link. allstars could have owned. they shoulda used chihiro or triforce.

I highly doubt that...

I'd imagine that Dreamcast hardware could almost pull that off...so it wouldn't have been a problem for System-246 hardware.

BeOnEdge

Banned
highly doubt what? that the game would have looked better on another peice of hardware? i believe the game was canned because capcom couldnt get the game as close to 2d as possible with the ps2 hardware. XBOX or GC would have been a better choice to do the project on IMO. i mean look at the vids. the game looks pretty much finished and they had been working on it for a long time! why just outright can the entire game?

Ferrio

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
highly doubt what? that the game would have looked better on another peice of hardware? i believe the game was canned because capcom couldnt get the game as close to 2d as possible with the ps2 hardware. XBOX or GC would have been a better choice to do the project on IMO. i mean look at the vids. the game looks pretty much finished and they had been working on it for a long time! why just outright can the entire game?

cause it sucked?

BeOnEdge

Banned
street fighter EX sucked and they released like 3 versions of that. this was as close to 2d capcom that we'll ever see this gen and they canned it. not only the arcade version but the ps2 version as well. i thought it looked OK at least and a nobel attempt at finally bringing SF to 3d. it looks WAY closer than EX ever did thats for sure.

*edit*

look at alex in that pic for god sake. sooooooooooo close to his SF3 counterpart! all they needed was better animation, better/brighter/crisper textures and maybe a few thousand more polys to make the characters look less bulky. i'm almost positive capcom will resurrect allstars next gen.

Yep, redrawing everything would take a pretty large budget. High resolutions will just up the cost, as well as smoother animations. Traditional 2D Animation has and always will be very expensive. That said, I wouldn't mind somebody, somewhere trying to make a 720p 2D game, if that is at all possible. With people saying 2D is dead, that is unlikely because of the enormous budget.

What the fuck does it matter if redrawing the sprites is expensive?

Guess what: making games costs money. I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings when people bash Capcom for making "new" games with ten year old art resources, but there's been about 5,000 decent-looking titles released since in the past decade without that fucking Morrigan sprite. I'd like to see Capcom try making a game without it, too.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Oh, GOD FUCKING FORBID Capcom would EVER spend ANY money doing anything to UPDATE its TEN FUCKING YEAR OLD SPRITE LIBRARY.

Please fly to Japan so I can beat the holy hell out of you people!

Bebpo

Banned
Actually I kinda agree about the cancelled Capcom All-stars having more potential then the new sprite-recycle fighting jam.

I've been playing KoF3D for a little bit and while it's a major dose of wtf!?! I have to admit I'm actually getting a lot of enjoyment out of the new gameplay system. It might not be the greatest but IMHO the series was starting to get a little stale throughout the past few years, and at least this feels like a major change (thought I don't know in which direction...there's a good chance this game is broken as hell ^^; ).

dark10x

BeOnEdge said:
street fighter EX sucked and they released like 3 versions of that. this was as close to 2d capcom that we'll ever see this gen and they canned it. not only the arcade version but the ps2 version as well. i thought it looked OK at least and a nobel attempt at finally bringing SF to 3d. it looks WAY closer than EX ever did thats for sure.

*edit*

look at alex in that pic for god sake. sooooooooooo close to his SF3 counterpart! all they needed was better animation, better/brighter/crisper textures and maybe a few thousand more polys to make the characters look less bulky. i'm almost positive capcom will resurrect allstars next gen.

I doubt that has anything to do with PS2 hardware, though. That's a very stupid thing for you to place the blame on...

Drexon

Banned
What you all are forgetting: Guilty Gear >>> SF infinite remakes!! GG offers wayyy more in terms of fun, depth, difficulty and variation. So there.

BeOnEdge

Banned
dark10x said:
I doubt that has anything to do with PS2 hardware, though. That's a very stupid thing for you to place the blame on...

why? it would take power. look at viewtiful joe. it was done on the GC FIRST because the hardware was suited best for the art style they wanted. now they can release a lesser version, although not by much, on ps2 to make more money. now that i think about it, cannon spike had pretty good 3d renditions of capcom characters. cammy looked awesome. and that was on the now weak dreamcast.

dark10x

BeOnEdge said:
why? it would take power. look at viewtiful joe. it was done on the GC FIRST because the hardware was suited best for the art style they wanted. now they can release a lesser version, although not by much, on ps2 to make more money. now that i think about it, cannon spike had pretty good 3d renditions of capcom characters. cammy looked awesome. and that was on the now weak dreamcast.

You were saying that you thought Capcom cancelled because the PS2 didn't have enough "power"...yet I think they could have done fine even on the Dreamcast. The game was not cancelled for that reason...

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Considering the game was being developed for System 246 first, I think Capcom was well aware of the PS2's architecture and how the game would have handled it.

BeOnEdge

Banned
i believe the animation played a big role. characters that large wouldnt animate well on dc either. the power to retain 2d like fluid gameplay doesnt look like it was all their either. once again if this wasnt an issue the game wouldnt have gotten canned.

jarrod

Banned
Mr_Furious said:
This argument is silly because you are referring to Capcom Fighting Jam (or whatever it's now called). It is a "compilation" of Capcom's previous fighters that have been blended together into one package mixing the different universes created for each franchise. Recycling shouldn't be a problem in this instance. Some of you are just finding another reason to bitch about Capcom's ridiculous sprite recycling when it's not really appropriate in the context of the game their making. No one seems to be bitching about SF Anniversary's sprite recycling. If we were talking about SF4 here this complaint would be deemed more warrented.
Yep... wonder if people will throw a fit when NeoGeo Battle Coliseum does the exact same thing on Atomiswave? Count your blessings we're getting a new Capcom AC fighter at all after they said they were done...

dark10x

BeOnEdge said:
i believe the animation played a big role. characters that large wouldnt animate well on dc either. the power to retain 2d like fluid gameplay doesnt look like it was all their either. once again if this wasnt an issue the game wouldnt have gotten canned.

I can't believe you just said that...

Characters that large wouldn't animate well? In this case, that has nothing to do with the hardware. They are 3D models for christ sake, this isn't like dealing with sprites. There was no hardware issue involved in the cancellation! GC and XBOX would not have done a significantly better job with this type of game...

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
GC and XBOX would not have done a significantly better job with this type of game...
While I agree with the sentiment, it should be noted that TriForce and Chihiro are actually quite a leap over PS2/System 246 (which are identical) thanks mainly to the massive RAM increases over GC/XBox. There's no doubt you can just do more with Chihiro than System 246.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Most people who *really* play sf games probably couldnt give a shit about redrawn sprites. and i seriously doubt the games would sell much more if they did that.

SaitoH

2D fighters peaked years ago. All we've been getting, and are going to get from now on, is tired rehashes that only the hardest of the hardcore care about. It's a shame, because back in the old Saturn and DC days, I imported every 2D fighter I could get my eager little mitts on. I would love to see someone put the time and effort into a 2D fighter that Namco, Sega and Tecmo put into their 3D fighters. Imagine the possiblities, but alas ... 2D fighters are dead.

=_=;;

Top Bottom