• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capsized |OT| It's only a screenshot...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
title1i86a.jpg

bar1muyy.jpg

• Developer \ Alien Trap
  • Genre \ 2D Action Platformer
  • Release \ April 29, 2011
  • Platform \ Steam, PSN (lol maybe)
  • Pricing \ $9.99
  • Official Site \ Click Here
  • Demo \ YES (Link will appear here)

From the Official Site:

As an intrepid space traveler, your ship has crash landed on a mysterious alien planet. You must navigate through the perilous
environment and fight off blood-thirsty creatures to save your crewmates and escape with your lives!

Artist Jesse McGibney and programmer Lee Vermeulen create an immersive alien world teeming with bizarre life-forms and
strange landscapes presented in a unique hand-drawn art style. Combining control elements of first person shooters and
innovative physics based combat, Capsized emphasizes action without giving up the smart problem solving of classic platform
games.

From Steam:
  • Highly detailed alien environments and creatures, lovingly rendered with high resolution hand-drawn artwork.
  • 12 mission Campaign featuring: massive non-linear environments, diverse objectives and enemies, and exciting
    comic-style cutscenes.
  • 4 extra Arcade Modes including: local Deathmatch and Coop, Survival mode, Time Trials, and Armless fighting.
  • Lethal arsenal of futuristic weapons and gadgets such as: the Gravity Ram, Jetpack, Energy Shield, and Quasar Array.
  • Classic First Person Shooter inspired controls, with a focus on skilled movement, creative tactics, and insane action.
  • Steam Achievements, Steam Cloud, Local Coop, and Controller Supported.

bar4uz4j.jpg

bar3oyxo.jpg

Haunted

This looks pretty cool. The scenery is pretty busy, but it looks better in the screenshots than the video. I appreciate their influences.

The biggest problem with the PC scene is that there's too many interesting projects going on at any one time, there's bound to be some that fall through the cracks and don't get the hype or recognition they deserve.

Blizzard

Banned
The art style reminds me of Aquaria. I still need to finish that game. It has such nice music. :)

I like that the screens don't make it seem like the background would be too distracting. They are more visually pleasing than Trine to me in that regard.

Stallion, I think there is going to be a demo available, so you might want to mention that in the OP as well.

Salsa

Nekrono said:
This game looks great! I'm just not sure if I want to spend $10 bucks on it, I guess I'll wait for a sale.

Looks well worth your money son. Surprised it isnt 15 at launch.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Capsized emphasizes action without giving up the smart problem solving of classic platform games.

4 extra Arcade Modes including: local Deathmatch and Coop, Survival mode, Time Trials, and Armless fighting.
What's the quickest way to give these people my money?

Blizzard said:
The art style reminds me of Aquaria. I still need to finish that game. It has such nice music. :)

Definitely, I had to double check to see if it was from the same developer the style is so similar. Looks fantastic though, so this game is definitely on my radar.

Blizzard

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
looks neat; will play the demo and probably purchase.

solar fields doing the music? big plus.
Wait, Solar Fields, as in the Mirror's Edge OST Solar Fields?! If they're doing the whole Capsized soundtrack then that really is a big plus. :O

Is this a Metroidvania? Is it non-linear? Are there upgrades that are required to get to new areas? None of the info I've found is very clear on that one way or the other.

Blizzard said:
Wait, Solar Fields, as in the Mirror's Edge OST Solar Fields?! If they're doing the whole Capsized soundtrack then that really is a big plus. :O
i don't know of any other artist by that name. i'm going to say yes since while watching the above trailer i was thinking "this is oddly reminiscent of mirror's edge" and then he was credited at the end.

Daigoro

the alien world reminds me of Metroid. it looks fantastic.

$10 seems like a great price. i want it.

Zaro said:
Looks cool, but I'm not a fan of physics in 2d games

yeah, keep your dirty physics outta my 2D!

SalsaShark said:
Its pretty cool to see Seth Rogen and Ethan Hawke doing something different and becoming game developers

i though Seth Rogen right away. but now that i think about it, the other guy looks a lot like some other actor in that shot. cant remember his name though. not Hawke...

Blizzard

Banned
Daigoro said:
i though Seth Rogen right away. but now that i think about it, the other guy looks a lot like some other actor in that shot. cant remember his name though. not Hawke...
The main important thing is that the programmer has a beard. :D One must be proper!

kamspy

Kinda looks like Trine gameplay. I hope it's a little tighter then Trine. It was a good game, but the controls were sloppy.

Blizzard

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
i don't know of any other artist by that name. i'm going to say yes since while watching the above trailer i was thinking "this is oddly reminiscent of mirror's edge" and then he was credited at the end.
Okay, I just watched the trailer finally, and the sound is similar. I can only hope they did music for the game and not just the trailer.

DO WANT. Looks great, hopefully doesn't require too much physics manipulation.

Daigoro

oh shit! i figured it out!

the second guy looks almost just like one of the Whitest Kids You Know guys.

url

SapientWolf said:
All platformers have physics. Unless there's a game where you just float around without gravity.

wow im really having problems expressing sarcasm on the internet tonight apparently. sorry. re-reading the guy i quoted should put it more into context.

Endgegner

Looks great graphics wise but I'm not so sure about the gameplay. Similar games like Aquaria were often lacking in that department.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
I'll join the party tomorrow. Do I have to bring my own drinks and food?

Some nice surprises the last two weeks. I bought Sanctum and Cargo! last week and that Hector-adventure from Telltale yesterday. I don't currently have a working television or else I would probably have bought Outland as well. Good times!

Noogy

Cut 'n paste from the Steam thread.

The devs behind Capsized very kindly sent me a Steam code and I've had a chance to run through the first couple levels.

I first found out about Capsized some years ago (it's an XNA-based title) and always thought it looked amazing. I was thrilled to see it pop up on the Steam store last week, and even more so now that I've played it.

First off, the game is beautiful. Tons of great hand-painted art, and lots of little details that make the world come alive. The character art (in-game and in cutscenes) is very unique, and I'm really digging the monster designs.

The game has a linear level structure, but each level is fairly big, with a LOT of exploration to find secrets. Controls (I'm playing with a 360 pad) are really well done, and combat is very fun. The hookshot/grapple in particular is well thought out, considering how hard it is to nail that in a game.

There also seem to be a lot of physics-based puzzles (mostly to access areas), so you're not shooting non-stop.

Overall the game really reminds me of Slime World on the Lynx, and I mean that as a high compliment.

I look forward to playing more tonight, and I recommend everyone trying it when it hits tomorrow.

Top Bottom