• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capsized |OT| It's only a screenshot...

Salsa

3783y.png

body gettin ready

samratty

I've had this for a while now. Done the first 4 levels, it's pretty good so far very beautiful and music is amazing. Gameplay-wise its pretty good so far but not special yet. Controls are hard to get used to on keyboard.

Salsa

Alright, game is AWESOME.

Only complaint that i guess will be fixed in a patch or something: It actually runs in my secondary monitor for some reason (guessing cause its 16:9 instead of 16:10, the latter wich the game doesnt really supports, but stretches). I have to manually change to windowed, drag the screen to the primary monitor and then change it to fullscreen.

samratty

Dante23 said:
Bought.

PS3 controller ready!
Yeh um bad news, I think it supports 360 controllers only.

If there's away to get it to work with PS3 pads that would be great as I don't have any wired 360 pads.

rj118

Bought and installing. This is the first game I've blindly gotten in a long time without knowing much about it. Hope it's good!

Salsa

Alright seriously, sogood. Not finding any trouble with the controls since i played a lot of Soldat and its basically like that. Playing on Hard as well and the challenge is really well balanced. Also not finding any stuttering issues and all. Rest asure the game looks gorgeous and plays absolutely fine.

Id like to know if someone with a dual monitor setup encountered the same issue i stated in my post above though.

I'm trying to play the game, but every time I launch it I get "Capsized has stopped working" message. Anyone knows how to deal with this :( ??

samratty

SalsaShark said:
Id like to know if someone with a dual monitor setup encountered the same issue i stated in my post above though.
Yeh I had the same issue. It defaulted to my secondary monitor (HDTV) which was turned off. Took me a minute to figure out what was happening.

Haeleos said:
MotionInJoy lets you hook up a PS3 controller via USB and emulate a 360 pad.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/download
Thanks a lot, my man. Appreciated.

BosSin

This game looks like it would work better with mouse/keyboard combo (from the trailer), any impressions on that?

Salsa

3chopl0x said:
Oh FFS what a crappy selection of resolutions.

Doesnt bother me that much since they stretch just fine and i cant even notice it.

I did found something though and that the game has a somewhat slight blur in the enemies and background while scrolling through the stages. It kinda fucks up with my eyes a bit, weird.

BosSin said:
This game looks like it would work better with mouse/keyboard combo (from the trailer), any impressions on that?

Definetly. Cant imagine playing it with a controller. At least on Hard. Second level already gets pretty busy.

desu

DesertEater said:
I'm trying to play the game, but every time I launch it I get "Capsized has stopped working" message. Anyone knows how to deal with this :( ??

Did you install the XNA thing? On my pc I actually had to repair the XNA 3.1 thing even though I didnt have it installed yet.

SalsaShark said:

Started on my main screen, 570gtx here. Don't all steam games start always on your main screen? When I wanted to have them on another screen actually needed to switch my mainscreen to my second tft.

Peerbreed

Neo Member
Quick impression. I'm three campaigns in.

I love the atmosphere. It reminds me of the first time I played Abe's Oddysee. I'm not implying that the games are alike in anyway, just that I had the same feelings about the atmosphere. It feels like there is so much more going on in the world than meets the eye. The background is surprisingly interactive (you can shoot a lot of it), so it's not "busy" for no reason. I wish the music was more energetic, but still well done. It does add to the feeling that you are in a foreign world.

The controls are strange. I'm still messing around trying to find a configuration that works well. My main complaint with the controls is that the Jetpack isn't used enough to warrant the Space button. Instead the Space button has been mapped to the Gravity hook, I use that most the time. I tried using my 360 gamepad for a level and didn't like it one bit. Aiming with the gamepad was a chore and took away the fun for me. It feels more natural to use the mouse to aim.

The game feels more like a cross between a SHMUP and a platformer, rather than a FPS and a platformer like the Steam page suggest. The "puzzles" I've encountered so far are not challenging. Most are solved with the Gravity Hook. Since I'm only three levels I am hoping for a bit more of a challenge later on. So that's my quick impression so far.

Salsa

desu said:
Started on my main screen, 570gtx here. Don't all steam games start always on your main screen? When I wanted to have them on another screen actually needed to switch my mainscreen to my second tft.

Yes, all games run on my main screen except this one.

Again, i guess its because im using a 16:10 26inch HDTV at 1360x768 as my main monitor, and the game runs automatically at 1440x900, wich is the native resolution of my secondary 19 inch monitor.

No biggie, will probably be fixed with a patch.

Echoplx

SalsaShark said:
Doesnt bother me that much since they stretch just fine and i cant even notice it.

1080p looks like crap on my 2560x1440 monitor.

Anyone else notice the game is capped at like 52FPS?

Blindly bought and played the first 4 levels. It's okay but nothing special. The jumping physics are a bit too floaty, but still effective. There's potential for some awesome exploration-based gameplay with the jetpack and grapple hook thing giving you tons of of freedom in how you move around the levels, but so far the gameplay focuses way more on shooting than platforming or puzzle solving. The weapon variety is nice but all the enemies I've encountered so far (on normal difficulty) can be disposed of pretty easily with the default weapon. Is it worth $9 or $10 dollars? Probably, but don't set your expectations too high.

daffy

Banned
I am new to Steam, but the demo looks to be available for download now.

EDIT: Game is not available for Mac users is it?

I can't try out the demo. What's up with up with that? I hit "DOWNLOAD DEMO" and the usual window pops up, but it just says: "You are about to install-" When I click next, I get, "Cannot be installed because is is a demo, and you own the full version of the product. Please install the full version of the game." Uh...no, I don't.

Moobabe

The demo is having some issues - should be rectified in a bit.

I'm coming up to the end of it now - this is easily a contender for soundtrack of the year already; absolutely amazing.

Blizzard

Banned
Moobabe said:
The demo is having some issues - should be rectified in a bit.

I'm coming up to the end of it now - this is easily a contender for soundtrack of the year already; absolutely amazing.
How does it compare to the Mirror's Edge soundtrack (same guy)?

BosSin said:

I was doing okay with the keyboard and mouse but it feels more "natural" with a good controller. I guess because I'm so use to playing sidescrollers with a controller. It comes down to whatever feels good for you, I guess.

desu

There seems to be a problem with the demo, the developers already contacted valve. Lets see when they fix it.

Salsa

3chopl0x said:
Anyone else notice the game is capped at like 52FPS?

Runs smooth for me

nincompoop said:
Blindly bought and played the first 4 levels. It's okay but nothing special. The jumping physics are a bit too floaty, but still effective. There's potential for some awesome exploration-based gameplay with the jetpack and grapple hook thing giving you tons of of freedom in how you move around the levels, but so far the gameplay focuses way more on shooting than platforming or puzzle solving. The weapon variety is nice but all the enemies I've encountered so far (on normal difficulty) can be disposed of pretty easily with the default weapon. Is it worth $9 or $10 dollars? Probably, but don't set your expectations too high.

I found that hard provides a much more rewarding challenge.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
So satisfying when I realized by the 3rd level that
with the hook you can use rocks as shields from enemy fire and as a powerful projectile.

SalsaShark said:
I found that hard provides a much more rewarding challenge.
I decided to start off on Hard when I saw someone in the thread mention they were already nearing the end, great experience so far. Whatever "Arcade" mode is might provide some extra replayability though.

desu said:
Did you install the XNA thing? On my pc I actually had to repair the XNA 3.1 thing even though I didnt have it installed yet.
Thank you, sir. I easily installed and uninstalled the game like 4 times.

Blizzard

Banned
I really wish the default weapon had auto-fire instead of requiring me to click really fast. I don't like things that make you click really fast.

The soundtrack is cool even though I am somewhat lukewarm about the gameplay. I'm gonna buy it anyway to support the gameplay, developer, and cheap price. :)

Peerbreed

Neo Member
So after tweaking the controls I can give this game an honest thumbs up. The controls were bugging the hell out of me. I have Gravity Hook mapped to Mouse4 and Jetpack to Mouse5. I also change Up to the Space Bar. This configuration increased my enjoyment ten fold.

It's also great to see a new release not plagued with bugs. Good job to the Devs!

Moobabe

Blizzard said:
How does it compare to the Mirror's Edge soundtrack (same guy)?

Is it really? I had no idea - it's not comparable in terms of tracks but the quality is there. I had it minimised while editing my review and it's music worthy of a listen regardless of it's game music or not. Liquid DnB tracks, Sigur Ros esque tunes as well; I really hope they release it as a separate download.

desu

Moobabe said:
Is it really? I had no idea - it's not comparable in terms of tracks but the quality is there. I had it minimised while editing my review and it's music worthy of a listen regardless of it's game music or not. Liquid DnB tracks, Sigur Ros esque tunes as well; I really hope they release it as a separate download.

According to the dev page the OST is made by http://www.solarfields.com I suppose you can buy their OST somewhere. Not sure if its all of the music, or if its remixes or whatever.

Top Bottom