• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capsized |OT| It's only a screenshot...

So finally I could download the demo. Lots to love about this game, visuals and sound being really great.

But do the levels get bigger later in the game? Was expecting something more along the levels of Turrican which could be enormous. Or a single metroidvania style level would have been way better.

Perhaps a bit too heavy on the action and a bit to light on the exploration and platforming imo.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I was hoping for Dark Void Zero meets Metroid but it's not quite there. I also kept getting stuck on the environment when moving around physics objects in tight spaces. Is there a reason to have all these physics enabled objects? Does it use it in smart ways later? I found myself trying to make seesaws with rocks to launch me high (it didn't work) until I realised I can just use the grappling hook thing to get pretty much anywhere. Also enemies equipped with weapons are aware of you all the time it seems, they look at your direction even before you get in their line of sight. The game feels a bit sloppy so far, I hope later levels improve.

I think the controls would be more fun if it controlled like Metal Slug than this mouselook or dual analog shooter type deal. Is there a way to make it control like that? Basically the character to face, move and shoot at the direction I'm pressing than be able to independently look around and move. More restricting, but in my opinion more fun. Unless kiting is required later. Though you could perhaps also fix the direction you face by pressing a button, similar to the tank in Metal Slug, so you can kite just as well.

Nabs

The demo was fun. The game played nicely with MKB. I don't really know how playable it would be with a controller.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Alextended said:
I was hoping for Dark Void Zero meets Metroid but it's not quite there. I also kept getting stuck on the environment when moving around physics objects in tight spaces. Is there a reason to have all these physics enabled objects? Does it use it in smart ways later? I found myself trying to make seesaws with rocks to launch me high (it didn't work) until I realised I can just use the grappling hook thing to get pretty much anywhere. Also enemies equipped with weapons are aware of you all the time it seems, they look at your direction even before you get in their line of sight. The game feels a bit sloppy so far, I hope later levels improve.

I think the controls would be more fun if it controlled like Metal Slug than this mouselook or dual analog shooter type deal. Is there a way to make it control like that? Basically the character to face, move and shoot at the direction I'm pressing than be able to independently look around and move. More restricting, but in my opinion more fun. Unless kiting is required later. Though you could perhaps also fix the direction you face by pressing a button, similar to the tank in Metal Slug, so you can kite just as well.
Yeah later levels would be really frustrating if you couldn't move one direction and face another. I ended up having to switch to mouse and keyboard as the difficulty ramped up. But if you really want to stick with the gamepad, I suggest changing jump to a shoulder button so it's easier to jump while aiming.

Atolm

Downloaded the demo, played it with a controller. Game looks promising, but I'll probably wait for a sale or the PS3 version.

Dante23

I hate those goddamned
priests

Game's beautiful and so is the music, but the controllers need tweaking, a lot.

etiolate

Banned
Bit of metal Slug, bit of Metroid, and a bit o physics. Probably too many physics based objects, as they get jumbled together, and the color palette needs distinction between background/foreground and enemies. It gets hard to determine foe from plant from particle effect.

So I picked up the demo and tried my hand at the first two The game is beautiful...but thats it. The actual gameplay and design is so shitty.

The "puzzle" physics tend to be incredibly simple that an infant can solve them. The enemy placement is absolutely idiotic. Half the time I get attacked by them because they are spawning to the place I land on. And its so easy to get trapped between a rock and a hard place with the physics system. The graphics are good but not too thought out Being that everything is in the shade of spring colors its hard to tell foe from some random plant.

Shitty, shitty game.

If you people want a pretty looking 2D indie game buy Aquaria. It may be $20, but its totally worth it. 30 hour single player campaign with a huge overworld to explore.

neoism

holy shit Solar Fields... :O

Guys is their a launch option to play in another resolution. The demo doesn't support mind... probably because I'm on a 720 HDTV.. :/

neoism

Moobabe said:
Is it really? I had no idea - it's not comparable in terms of tracks but the quality is there. I had it minimised while editing my review and it's music worthy of a listen regardless of it's game music or not. Liquid DnB tracks, Sigur Ros esque tunes as well; I really hope they release it as a separate download.
It's just his album Movements... He did original stuff for ME..
I personally love all of his albums he's one of my favorite artists...

Salsa

Flying_Phoenix said:
So I picked up the demo and tried my hand at the first two The game is beautiful...but thats it. The actual gameplay and design is so shitty.

The "puzzle" physics tend to be incredibly simple that an infant can solve them. The enemy placement is absolutely idiotic. Half the time I get attacked by them because they are spawning to the place I land on. And its so easy to get trapped between a rock and a hard place with the physics system. The graphics are good but not too thought out Being that everything is in the shade of spring colors its hard to tell foe from some random plant.

Shitty, shitty game.

Couldnt disagree more.

I was actually just going to post how the game gets MUCH better after a few levels. Once you enter the ruins the game just kicks it up a notch. A lot more physics based puzzle stuff, a lot more shooting with plenty of objects to throw around at enemies. A different atmosphere from the first couple of levels, and i could keep going.

Im gonna go ahead and say that the first levels might not be that good, and the demo doesnt really do justice to the game. Because trust me, it gets much better.

Some screens to show how the game mixes things up (nevermind the compression):

oXska.png

SfEoH.jpg

MYD8D.png

JnCdQ.jpg

0C9kJ.png

edit: no idea why there's a black bar at the bottom. Doesnt show up during gameplay.

The controls were a bit weird for me, mainly because "W" for jump was weird. I'm used to the space bar for jumping.

Other than that, it was fun, I suppose. Doesn't seem like a game I'd ever buy, though. It's very beautiful, at least!

AcridMeat

Banned
neoism said:
holy shit Solar Fields... :O

Guys is their a launch option to play in another resolution. The demo doesn't support mind... probably because I'm on a 720 HDTV.. :/
Yes, first thing I noticed when I launched the game as well. Took me a while to figure out who it was, but I knew I had the album.

neoism

AcridMeat said:
Yes, first thing I noticed when I launched the game as well. Took me a while to figure out who it was, but I knew I had the album.
same.. lol Love him soo much...

OT but I just went to his site.... he put out an album in December I didn't know about. lol I love when that happens..... new music :D :D :D <3

How do I get the demo to work... what resolution should I have my monitor on... its 1278X768 now?

SalsaShark said:
Couldnt disagree more.

I was actually just going to post how the game gets MUCH better after a few levels. Once you enter the ruins the game just kicks it up a notch. A lot more physics based puzzle stuff, a lot more shooting with plenty of objects to throw around at enemies. A different atmosphere from the first couple of levels, and i could keep going.

Im gonna go ahead and say that the first levels might not be that good, and the demo doesnt really do justice to the game. Because trust me, it gets much better.

I'll wait for a sale then.

Maybe I'll bite when its at $5. Maybe.

etiolate

Banned
So far the levels are surprisingly small. None of the levels have overcome the problematic palette choice or lessened the screen clutter.

fresquito

Tried the demo, and didn't like very much. Presentation is superb, but gameplay is a bit of a mess. Shooting doesn't feel very good and neither does navigation. Physics are too floaty. Level design is a bit too simple in the demo, I can't tell about the whole game.

So, not very interested in the game. Too bad, because the art style is lovely.

Moobabe

SalsaShark said:
Couldnt disagree more.

I agree with SalsaShark - I'm on level 11 at the moment and they've become increasingly more complex, larger and more challenging as the game has gone on; plus I've only maybe got a third of the secrets the game has to offer, if that.

The controls took some getting used to - but their customisable - the ONLY gripe I have is when you press shift on a smaller object there seems to be no way of just dropping it - pressing shift again throws it and I've missed many a button because of it.

Saying that - what a game - gorgeous to look at, amazing soundtrack, challenging and fun. And for £5 you can hardly go wrong.

Aurelius

Wow, looks amazing! Reminds me a bit of Slime World, a game I played a lot on the Atari Lynx.

Please Sony! Get PSN back up!

mxgt

Banned
Holy shit, I download the demo and I hear Sky Trees by Solar Fields which is one of my favourite songs.

I'm going to have to buy this now.

Peerbreed

Neo Member
SalsaShark said:
Couldnt disagree more.

I agree completely. After the Ruins the game becomes pretty freaking awesome. The puzzles become more of a challenge. This a such a good game. Get past the first 4 levels and it really starts paying off. I am excited to see Alien Trap's next game. Capsized is a good first effort from this studio.

The Dev has said they are going to release a patch in the next few days to fix some issues people have brought up. The patch will will address issues like customizing gamepad controls, mouse button mapping and will add screen resolutions. This was posted in the Steam forum by Alien Trap's Lee Vermeulen.

Vermeulen said:

Vermeulen said:

Crazetex

I played the demo this morning, and I agree with a lot of people here. The controls are slightly funky (although I was able to play just fine), and it is very, very difficult to figure out what you can interact with, what's solid, what's destructible, what's background material... overall, pretty but hard to play. Also, each level was very short, and it looked like there were only twelve? Huh?

I don't care if it gets better later on. If the demo isn't great, they've already failed. A bad beginning is not the way to get money! Telling somebody "it gets better later" means having to slog through something mediocre or worse to get there; I'm not paying to be annoyed, so shut it.

NIN90

Soundtrack is GREAT (the mp3 files can be accessed in the game folder btw) but the game didn't really grab me.

Uh... wow. I just got to (presumably) the last boss, and after you defeat his first form he drops some thing that you have to deposit into a pool of green gas to get to his next form. Except he constantly flies around through walls and off the screen, so the first two times I beat his first form the thing he dropped ended up somewhere inaccessible and I couldn't do anything except start the fight over. And the third time I fought him the game crashed on his third form. Did the developers forget to test this or something?

Salsa

Crazetex said:
I don't care if it gets better later on. If the demo isn't great, they've already failed. A bad beginning is not the way to get money! Telling somebody "it gets better later" means having to slog through something mediocre or worse to get there; I'm not paying to be annoyed, so shut it.

I agree that the Demo could be a better seller, but i dont agree at all with the rest of the post. The first level arent bad, its not tolerating something mediocre, they're just a tutorial for what comes next. The first few levels make you think that the potential isnt reached, but the latter part of the game takes that concern away.

Oh and nincompoop spoiler that shit, wtf. I havent finished it yet.

SalsaShark said:
I agree that the Demo could be a better seller, but i dont agree at all with the rest of the post. The first level arent bad, its not tolerating something mediocre, they're just a tutorial for what comes next. The first few levels make you think that the potential isnt reached, but the latter part of the game takes that concern away.

Oh and nincompoop spoiler that shit, wtf. I havent finished it yet.
I was trying to be as vague as possible in my description. If I spoiler tagged it then that would defeat the purpose of informing people that the final boss battle is broken.

Atomski

Im really enjoying this. It feels great with a m/kb, being able to quickly get away and stuff.

I cant imagine how frustrating this game will be on psn when its release..

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Beat the game a couple days ago. That Rock, Paper, Shotgun article totally sums up my feelings on this game, the visceral feeling of flinging yourself all over the level with your blaster firing in all directions as a ton of enemies are coming at you is so great, the last boss really nailed this feeling. The last boss was crazy difficult on hard but so rewarding as I slowly formed strategies to finally take it down. What I did was
Phase 1: Just unload the machine gun or whatever else on him, grapple to something in the geometry when he tries to pull you in. Phase 2: Just buzz around him until he starts summoning minions, then he'll stop moving his shield so get behind him and blast him with the flame thrower. Phase 3: Grapple the rocks he fires at you and shoot them back at him. It takes a TON of hits to kill him, so when you get low on health fly far enough away so that he stops following you. He'll summon minions near you though, so just keep killing them until they drop enough health to get you back to full, then engage the boss again.

Right now I'm playing Armless mode and Time Trial mode. They both have exclusive levels. In Time Trial mode you can even toggle off the use of grapple, so you have to use Gravity Ram to get yourself to higher places.

I'm not gonna be playing Survival mode much though as it's just fighting enemies, which is okay, but I prefer progressing through a level.

Salsa

so, they fucked up a bit with the latest patch :/

The game used to have no v-sync option, but there was no tearing at all, and it ran perfectly fine.

Now a V-Sync option was added, resulting in this:

- If i turn it on, the game runs smooth but get noticeable and annoying mouse lag (terrible for a game like this)
- If i turn it off, i suddenly get crazy tearing :/

Go back please.

Echoplx

SalsaShark said:
so, they fucked up a bit with the latest patch :/

The game used to have no v-sync option, but there was no tearing at all, and it ran perfectly fine.

Now a V-Sync option was added, resulting in this:

- If i turn it on, the game runs smooth but get noticeable and annoying mouse lag (terrible for a game like this)
- If i turn it off, i suddenly get crazy tearing :/

Go back please.

D3Doverrider is your friend.

Nabs

I decided to try the demo again, and I'm liking it more now. Hmm. I might grab either this or Beep.

Daigoro

just tried the demo. holy shit! looks even better than the screens, the music is awesome. controls well so far.

i like it a lot so far. seems like a great deal for $10. this will be my next steam purchase.

oracrest

I didn't know this was out yet.

I'll have to pick it up (I guess for xbox, heh.)

A shame it had to come out when PSN is cluster fucked.

GWX

Hey GAF,

I'm stuck in the third stage of the demo. Here's the screenshot I took:

4B0B6C2118BCE29264F35E320EF70707F0B0A064

The game is pretty good, but I hate the physics... They drive me nuts.

Also, I don't know why there's a black bar below the screenshot, it's weird and doesn't show up while playing.

Salsa

im still butthurt over the fucked up patch that went up days ago, and i havent returned to the game because of it

:( i was having tons of fun with it and it ran perfectly.

Ledsen

So I tried the demo. LOVE the graphics. LOVE the environments. LOVE the music. LOVE the level-based Metroidvania concept (would've preferred seamless world but this is fine). LOVE Abuse-style m+k controls. Unfortunately... HATE the platforming controls and physics. Horrible, floaty and imprecise. Feels really amateurish, like some kid's first platformer in Gamemaker. I won't buy the game because of it. Such a shame :(

Except I'll buy it for 2.99€ at a Steam sale in the future :)

Top Bottom