• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

TheMoon

So, it's weird. I got the game for Christmas. I know the game is going to be awesome, and I loved the Captain Toad stages in 3D World. But I can't convince myself that I want to play the game. What's wrong with me?

It's a game. Just wait until it calls to you.

timeforadventurejbsmv.jpg

Yes Boss!

So, it's weird. I got the game for Christmas. I know the game is going to be awesome, and I loved the Captain Toad stages in 3D World. But I can't convince myself that I want to play the game. What's wrong with me?

Game is GOTY material. Certainly the best thing Nintendo released this year. What are you waiting for?! Game is filled with good feels. No worries, though, game is not going anywhere! Legacy title.

For me, I'd say I had to replay 90% of the levels at LEAST twice.

I can believe this. A "nit" that I have against this game is how the optional objective is listed only after you complete the level.

Thankfully, I've been playing each stage in the same manner, taking my time (which I'm already doing because the environments are so pleasant to look at). Once you know the small subset of variations to the optional objectives, you start to keep an eye out for them.

Some impressions (I'm about 5 or 6 levels into Episode 3, and have done all the
Bonus Stages
thrown at me so far):

- I hope they keep making games on the Mario 3D World engine. Captain Toad is indeed a beautiful looking game.
- It's a great time in that you can play it however you want; I've done both short sessions (probably 10-15 mins max), as well as full blown 2-3 hour sessions. It's enjoyable both ways, and doesn't seem to give me "burn out" even after long sessions.
- There ARE some levels that I wish would distract you less from looking at the big screen. The stages that have more GamePad action feel off, as you're constantly switching back and forth between looking at the TV screen and the GamePad.
- Seeing the
Super Mario 3D World levels, slightly tweaked for Captain Toad
was a very, very nice surprise. I can't say that all of them were my favorite
stages from SM3DW
, but it was cool and engaging.
- The soundtrack is typical Nintendo fare: absolutely OUTSTANDING. Stop teasing me with the Mario 64 Slide theme, Nintendo! And by teasing, I mean the
bonus coin levels where you only have less than 15 seconds to listen to it.
Boo!

If you liked the Captain Toad levels in SM3DW, and don't own this game yet, I very strongly recommend it! A lot of fun for the whole family.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, I 100%ed the game (to crown status, beating par times on everything, etc). I really enjoyed it. But I must say, I don't think they quite got the camera right. The far view is too far and the close view too close on both the gamepad and the television, and many levels don't really have ideal viewing angles. It was a constant mild nuisance for me. I don't really have an obvious solution because not very many games do this kind of "diorama" layout, so they're in uncharted territory. It's a problem that's exacerbated when you have the double cherry.

Many of my deaths in the ultra secret final level were viewing angle problems and my successful run in the end involved babysitting the camera stick constantly, so my hand was some sort of mangled claw where I was trying to hold the run button, use the camera, and tap on enemies to freeze them at the same time. To some extent I think that's a function of the bizarre second stick placement relative to buttons. It would have also been mitigated a little if the run button was a toggle instead of a hold.

One other minor nitpick--the lack of instant restart is super annoying when you're trying to beat some of the tougher par times and you make a mistake that you know has cost you a run.

I got to stage 25 of Mummy Maze tonight. 4200 coins so the 5000 coins shouldn't be hard but man it might take me a while to get to the end...

Don't worry about collecting coins--although collect the ones you're walking by and the ones in the rest spots on levels 10, 20, and 35--just worry about finishing the dungeon. Don't go out of your way to get coins if it means facing danger from enemies.

I am going to put a very mild spoiler here to explain why (don't quote me if you don't want to know why):
The last level of the dungeon has about 2000 coins on it and no enemies. It would be almost impossible to beat the level and not hit 5000 coins.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Many of my deaths in the ultra secret final level were viewing angle problems and my successful run in the end involved babysitting the camera stick constantly, so my hand was some sort of mangled claw where I was trying to hold the run button, use the camera, and tap on enemies to freeze them at the same time. To some extent I think that's a function of the bizarre second stick placement relative to buttons. It would have also been mitigated a little if the run button was a toggle instead of a hold.
I just used ZR to run instead of A/B and it was comfortable enough. I didn't bother to use the touchscreen, though, which probably would have helped in retrospect.

zroid

Banned
Many of my deaths in the ultra secret final level were viewing angle problems and my successful run in the end involved babysitting the camera stick constantly, so my hand was some sort of mangled claw where I was trying to hold the run button, use the camera, and tap on enemies to freeze them at the same time. To some extent I think that's a function of the bizarre second stick placement relative to buttons. It would have also been mitigated a little if the run button was a toggle instead of a hold

Also could've been mitigated if ZL could serve as a run button instead of just ZR. That's a weird one.

You'd still have to babysit the camera while tapping on the screen, but that's it.

I just used ZR to run instead of A/B and it was comfortable enough. I didn't bother to use the touchscreen, though, which probably would have helped in retrospect.
Whoa, you can use ZR to run?! Just finished Episode 3 with all gems and challenges and am now just learning this. Certainly better than holding down B while clawing my index finger over to rotate the camera.

Zing

Banned
I enjoy the extra objectives being hidden on the first play of a level. I have fun trying to guess what it is. I get it on the first try most of the time.

I'm on episode 3 now.

I enjoy the extra objectives being hidden on the first play of a level. I have fun trying to guess what it is. I get it on the first try most of the time.

I'm on episode 3 now.

The times for my first run throughs of levels are quite hilarious. I'm always looking for invisible golden mushrooms or collecting every single coin possible.

tesqui

Some of the levels in this game has music that reminds me of the creepy soundtrack of gone girl.

This is not something I want to be thinking about while playing this incredibly pleasant game.

Don't worry about collecting coins--although collect the ones you're walking by and the ones in the rest spots on levels 10, 20, and 35--just worry about finishing the dungeon. Don't go out of your way to get coins if it means facing danger from enemies.

I am going to put a very mild spoiler here to explain why (don't quote me if you don't want to know why):
The last level of the dungeon has about 2000 coins on it and no enemies. It would be almost impossible to beat the level and not hit 5000 coins.
Good to know - should make it easier!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how are you unlocking time trial and the mummy maze? I think I had one mummy thing as a bonus level that gets inserted into your pages, but it disappears after one go - I was
being chased by a mummy that seems to act like shadow mario mirroring your moves
?

I've only just started episode 3, but have 100% every level so far, and done all the available bonus levels (
only seems to be four
?)

Kouriozan

Finally 100%ed it, it's really a nice game, can't say enough how charming it is, I think I smiled the whole time
except the maze :lol
how are you unlocking time trial and the mummy maze?

To unlock everything you need to complete all optional objectives like "Get X coins" or "Kill every ennemies".

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I was just browsing eShop for my final DDP deals and saw SM3DW had a 33% discount (40 euro pricetag). Man, new PAL wiiU owners are in for a treat - a CT:TT + SM3DW combo could be had for 80 euro (in the span of 2 days). That's some insane value /looks at his SM3DW hours gauge

With Mummy Maze I think the biggest challenge is boredom. By the time you reach level 20 you're bored because the first 20 are so easy and take a pretty long time.

I might stop being able to push on and finish it because after failing once or twice the idea of doing those first 20 stages before there's a challenge again is so painful.

I get it would be less of a challenge if there were checkpoints but maybe it should be shorter and harder off the bat...

weekev

Banned
Ok GAF, i havent read the entire thread so this may be posted already.
Im on Episode 3 and ive noticed episode 1 has a feather instead of the number 1. The other episodes dont have this. Is it because of something Ive done or is it just one of these things?
Spoiler tagged just in case.

Gsnap

I'm really loving this game so far. It's not as easy as people made it out to be. Yeah, I'm not having a ton of trouble getting to the star, but I rarely get the secret challenge on the first go, and there are a decent number of levels where I don't get all 3 diamonds on one go. And there are plenty of levels where I come really close to dying, and I've died somewhere around 10 times anyway.

I think my favorite thing about this game is how it makes a lot of the regular Mario 3D World obstacles more interesting due to how toad controls. The orange falling platforms are much more threatening when you can't jump. I feel like the double cherry gets better mileage in this game than it did in 3D World due to the maze-like structure. Every enemy is deadly. And you really have to think outside of the box sometimes
like using the enemies themselves to destroy obstacles or other enemies.

I wish there were a few more bosses, but the boss levels themselves are really great. And Wingo and Draggadon will go down as some of my favorite Mario franchise bosses ever.

And the little vignettes in between levels are adorable. I wish there were a few more, but like the bosses, the ones that are there are really fun. Makes me hope Toad gets a new, more adventure heavy game in the future

Haven't beaten it yet, though. I'm almost done with book 3, but this is definitely gonna go down as one of this years favorites for me.

Many of my deaths in the ultra secret final level were viewing angle problems and my successful run in the end involved babysitting the camera stick constantly, so my hand was some sort of mangled claw where I was trying to hold the run button, use the camera, and tap on enemies to freeze them at the same time.

I 100%ed everything but the last super secret level and some time attack that seemed impossible.

I never realized there was a run button.

I feel really dumb and relieved that I won't have to zigzag for 50 floors. How did I miss something so obvious?

Thanks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finally 100%ed it, it's really a nice game, can't say enough how charming it is, I think I smiled the whole time
except the maze :lol

To unlock everything you need to complete all optional objectives like "Get X coins" or "Kill every ennemies".

Done that, so do I have to finish episode 3 too?

Fox Mulder

is this game already vanishing from retail? Amazon only has it with third party sellers at a higher price and my target was out.

blu

I hope you love the game, blu. I know you've been really psyched for it to come out!
Thanks. Everything so far points toward CT:TT being my kind of game. But I'm most excited to play it with my kids, who'll be backseat piloting ; )

Boogiepop

Finished it 100% (except for
time trial stuff
) this morning. Was kicking myself when I somehow managed to die on
stage 49... close to the damn exit
for the final level, but I got it. Not a big fan of that one because it's more long and only tends to kill you for that reason rather than actively being difficult, plus it's entirely an exercise in "action" rather than puzzle. Also not a super big fan of
the Toad Brigade and Mummy Me bonus levels
, since they didn't feel that different/interesting. Honestly, that's my biggest "issue" with the game, that the post-game bonus stuff isn't all that great/exciting.

Other than that... I do kind of wish they could've put in some different bosses rather than
the dragon three times. Though to be fair it's a very different feeling fight each time, just a shame that it's essentially the same aesthetically.

A really nice, cute little game though, and I had a lot of fun playing it! Also, am I crazy(/just got accustomed to the playstyle since it's a whole game rather than a minigame), or is there nothing as hard as, say, the Captain Toad level from 3D world that rotated with the switches? I never really felt super challenged in getting all the gems and finishing the levels, which I wasn't expecting.

LoveCake

Just started playing this, nice surprise was the bonus of the detection of 3D World & then opening up the ability to play some levels of 3D World as Toad.

The only criticism i have of the game is that the view is too far away at default but too close when you zoom in, pity there isn't something in the middle.

Just started playing this, nice surprise was the bonus of the detection of 3D World & then opening up the ability to play some levels of 3D World as Toad.

The only criticism i have of the game is that the view is too far away at default but too close when you zoom in, pity there isn't something in the middle.

The zoom is my big problem as well, otherwise the game is a top grade delight. I wonder if they could fix the zoom in a patch (he wondered aloud on a message board, hoping against hope)?

Vena

Thanks. Everything so far points toward CT:TT being my kind of game. But I'm most excited to play it with my kids, who'll be backseat piloting ; )

I did this with the family over the holiday, my aunt and little cousin really enjoyed panicking and backseat piloting the whole way trough the game, lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just found a prologue level in the bonus section - does that unlock if you 100% an episode? I have three coins/medals on my episode 2 book which I guess is because I got all the optional objectives and all diamonds? Episode 1 has two medals but I didn't do the last level optional objective yet. It does have a feather though, which episode 2 doesn't - what's that for?

maxcriden

The zoom is my big problem as well, otherwise the game is a top grade delight. I wonder if they could fix the zoom in a patch (he wondered aloud on a message board, hoping against hope)?

Commenting on Miiverse could help. Couldn't hurt at least. Nintendo does patch their games so hopefully something will happen on this front.

blu

I did this with the family over the holiday, my aunt and little cousin really enjoyed panicking and backseat piloting the whole way trough the game, lol.
Don't quote me on that, but I think that's a good part of how the game's meant to be played ; )

On an unrelated note, Boss Blitz was made by a troll of biblical proportions. And I have no intentions of beating Champions' Road, but that final Toad level was quite enjoyable.

That's really awesome. I hope you all have a wonderful time playing it together :)
I bet we will. SM3DW is my kids' favourite game.

Apropos, I just refreshed my memories of SMG's highlights via youtube, and I can say with certainty SM3DW is the better game to me.

Eiolon

Got this game for Christmas and started playing it today. It's a nice little game for pick up and play when you are bored out of your mind. I'm not sure I would have paid $40 for it though. I actually think it would be well suited for playing on the shitter and would be a perfect 3DS game. Surely the 3DS could handle such a game.

Just found a prologue level in the bonus section - does that unlock if you 100% an episode? I have three coins/medals on my episode 2 book which I guess is because I got all the optional objectives and all diamonds? Episode 1 has two medals but I didn't do the last level optional objective yet. It does have a feather though, which episode 2 doesn't - what's that for?
Yes, prologue of a book shows up in the Bonus section once you 100% that episode. No idea why the feather on Episode 1, I think it is ultimately meaningless, just the way it is. Episode 2 and 3 just have the numbers there instead.

zroid

Banned
Yes, prologue of a book shows up in the Bonus section once you 100% that episode. No idea why the feather on Episode 1, I think it is ultimately meaningless, just the way it is. Episode 2 and 3 just have the numbers there instead.

I'm pretty sure the feather is just supposed to represent a "1"

Top Bottom