• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

Chaos17

Nintendo's art style is simply fantastic.

I ain't even mad their games are 720 when they look like this

tumblr_nhjcdoufNK1qgjx30o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhjcba647V1qgjx30o1_1280.jpg
I need to take screenshot from that game too!
It's so pretty and those maps are so clever.

Mohonky

Game finally came out today. Rubber stamping my way through before moving onto next mission. Love it.

So colourful and cheerful. Its such a brilliant engine too, game looks so good, I seen plenty of 1080p titles with more aliasing than this game

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Folks, I played all the to me available bonus stuff. How do I unlock more? Get the stamps in each and every level?
'Bonus' as in main-menu button 'bonus'? That gets unlocked automatically the instant the game finds a SM3DW save file on the console.

GC|Simon

Thanks guys. I have access to the SM3DW level, the toad crew level and a couple of mummy level. There are lots of blank pages left. Not sure if I will get a stamp everywhere to unlock those. Is it worth it? Do I need to get a stamp in each and every level to unlock something or do I unlock stuff with every x stamps I collect?

Started playing this today and had to stop to charge the gamepad. I'm halfway through chapter three (with all unlocked bonus levels also done) and gotten stamps and checkmarks on everything so far. It's incredibly cute, incredibly fun to play and the stages are all unique and fun to explore, but I feel like it's a bit on the easy side for now. Expecting some good postgame content like 3D World, otherwise I might be a little underwhelmed..

What in the shit at the
tiny ass 8bit Luigi
in level 13. I don't even know how I noticed it.

Wait...are there
tiny Luigis in every level
? O.O

Roo

What in the shit at the
tiny ass 8bit Luigi
in level 13. I don't even know how I noticed it.

Wait...are there
tiny Luigis in every level
? O.O

Yeah, there are quite a few hidden here and there.
There's one in
Plucky Pass Beginnings (first level) behind the wood arrow sign

JonnyKong

What happens after you finish the Mummy me forever stage? I noticed there were four blank pages after it.

I found the Toad brigade on Kamek Keep level beyond frustrating, especially whilst trying to grab the 240 coins. Kamek always ended up hitting a Toad at the back of the que grr.

zroid

Banned
What happens after you finish the Mummy me forever stage? I noticed there were four blank pages after it.

I found the Toad brigade on Kamek Keep level beyond frustrating, especially whilst trying to grab the 240 coins. Kamek always ended up hitting a Toad at the back of the que grr.

pro tip: grab all the coins first, then double back and get the toads

sounds like you already finished it though lol

klier

So it's out now in the EU?

I am gong to pick this up tomorrow I think. Didn't like Smash much so my WiiU needs playtime.

JonnyKong

You get a crown for both Captain Toad and Toadette + those 3 Coins Galore levels you can play as much as you want.

Well that's kind of a let down.

Mummy Forever Maze is the only thing I've got left to do now. Don't know if and when I'll ever have the patience to do it. Oh and the par times to beat too, another thing I don't know if I can be bothered to do.

Overall I really enjoyed the game. Definitely a solid 8/10. Trying to pin point why it didn't get a 9 is hard to do. I guess my main gripes are the zoom levels, repeated boss fights, lacklustre bonus levels. The creativity and charm and sheer fun in the levels are second to none. I do wish there were more, it felt like I finished the first three episodes too quickly. Some more challenging, and bigger levels in the bonus section would have been nice.

One thing is wish the game had is more variety in the type of levels. The train, mine cart and dragon boss levels are few and far between. Should've been far more different stages like those.

You can hit Kamek with the key, gives you free reign over the whole level afterwards.

Pretty done with the Mummy maze now. Just haven't got the patience for it. I almost threw the gamepad earlier. Got to room 28 and 3000 coins. Enough.

You need 4 fucking hands to control the game in this mode; Moving toad, holding run, moving the camera, and touching enemies on the screen. It's a ridiculously horrible control scheme.

zroid

Banned
Pretty done with the Mummy maze now. Just haven't got the patience for it. I almost threw the gamepad earlier. Got to room 28 and 3000 coins. Enough.

You need 4 fucking hands to control the game in this mode; Moving toad, holding run, moving the camera, and touching enemies on the screen. It's a ridiculously horrible control scheme.

Just to be sure... you know you can use ZR to run, right? It doesn't make tapping enemies any easier, but for the times you aren't doing that it's obviously a big help.

Bog

Junior Ace
Started playing this today and had to stop to charge the gamepad. I'm halfway through chapter three (with all unlocked bonus levels also done) and gotten stamps and checkmarks on everything so far. It's incredibly cute, incredibly fun to play and the stages are all unique and fun to explore, but I feel like it's a bit on the easy side for now. Expecting some good postgame content like 3D World, otherwise I might be a little underwhelmed..

Possibly underwhelmed by a game you're not nearly done with and just played for 6-8 hours straight?

Possibly underwhelmed by a game you're not nearly done with and just played for 6-8 hours straight?
Underwhelmed was perhaps the incorrect word, rather a bit let down by the fact that it never got challenging like I'm used to in a typical Mario game. I remember the last Toad level in 3D world being more challenging than any level in the main levels of Captain Toad for example.

I finished all three chapters (plus a bunch of bonus levels) with 7.5 hours in the activity log (but didn't do any speedruns). Despite the easy difficulty, I really enjoyed it (and I usually don't binge-play games anymore) and would like to see more of the Captain. It also managed to dethrone MK8 as the best looking game on the system for me. Looking forward to going back for the rest of the bonus levels now!

aechris

You can also run to the top and "finish" it without collecting the star, then heading back down to get the coins you need.

I cleared Mummy-Me Maze Forever today. It accounted for roughly 4 out of 18 hours logged in the game (I still haven't completed all the challenge times), but that number is deceptive. The stage isn't actually harder than something like SMG2's Perfect Run (which took me 2-3 hours); it just takes longer to clear just because good, solid attempts take so long to get through.

Some tips for those who are having trouble:

- There is definitely no need to run around collecting every coin to meet the bonus objective.
You get nearly 2000 coins if you reach the very end, which means you only need an average of 60-70 coins per stage. Once you are in the 30s or 40s the piles are so consistently large that it's no trouble at all to do this on your way to the exit.

- It is very likely you will need to use the touch screen to stun enemies to push through some of the later stages. I found the most comfortable and precise solution to be what I've done in Pikmin 3 since stylus controls were patched in: use the stylus (so you don't obstruct your vision) and manipulate the camera by tapping the right stick with your ring finger. It takes some practice, but by the time you clear this challenge you won't be short on practice. Running doesn't actually help very much (except against the Chargin' Chucks). If you have trouble switching between the stylus and whichever run button you like to use, prioritize the stylus; it's what will get you out of trouble.

- Checkpoints are at
10, 20, and 35 and yield a free mushroom
. Don't use the hammer to pluck everything; pluck first, then grab the hammer and beeline straight into the next stage, where it will remain with you until the timer runs out.

- Exits are always placed
at the corner of the stage opposite your starting point
. If you take a quick diagonal view of the stage at a low camera angle when you start, before the clones start spawning, you can usually see which corridors you should be aiming for, so you don't get trapped in dead ends.

- Don't hug the wall or turn corners too tightly. (This was the leading cause of death for me, including a rather embarrassing one on my penultimate attempt, where I ran into a corner and was struck from behind... on level 49.)

SCReuter

TILT RIGHT STICK OR MOVE WII U GAMEPAD TO LOOK AROUND.

Is there any way to deactivate this stupid fucking message? It's driving me nuts and I'm only on the fourth stage.

jariw

Is there any way to deactivate this stupid fucking message? It's driving me nuts and I'm only on the fourth stage.

It will disappear one you play a couple of more levels.

JonnyKong

One thing I've always thought about Nintendo is that they don't really award their players much for completing overly difficult tasks, such as the Mummy Me Maze. It's all well and good 'feeling' the sense of accomplishment, but I'd prefer some kind of award that's better than just a freaking stamp on a book. If you told me I got a few really cool levels unlocked for completing that Maze, I might put more of an effort into finishing it. I suppose taking a screenshot and putting it on Miiverse and showing off to your friends can be nice.

It reminds me of that 2D Mario game on the 3DS where your award for collecting a million coins was a new title screen. Thanks Nintendo.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The maze is the reward for the maze.

It's reminiscent of old score-based maze/puzzle arcade games. It's the only part of the game with replay value imo.

blu

It will disappear one you play a couple of more levels.
That is also my main source of annoyance in SM3DW's Captain Toad levels - I have a gazillion of hours in that game, and I'm still getting basic control hints in the middle of my goddam screen, just because I haven't played a CT level in a while. WTF, nintendo!

one_kill

One thing I've always thought about Nintendo is that they don't really award their players much for completing overly difficult tasks, such as the Mummy Me Maze. It's all well and good 'feeling' the sense of accomplishment, but I'd prefer some kind of award that's better than just a freaking stamp on a book. If you told me I got a few really cool levels unlocked for completing that Maze, I might put more of an effort into finishing it. I suppose taking a screenshot and putting it on Miiverse and showing off to your friends can be nice.

It reminds me of that 2D Mario game on the 3DS where your award for collecting a million coins was a new title screen. Thanks Nintendo.
This is the best kind of reward

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
That is also my main source of annoyance in SM3DW's Captain Toad levels - I have a gazillion of hours in that game, and I'm still getting basic control hints in the middle of my goddam screen, just because I haven't played a CT level in a while. WTF, nintendo!
You should take a break if you're feeling tired.

blu

This is the best kind of reward
The best kind of reward can be seen in nintendo's own Pushmo World and Pictobits - beating levels grants you (directly or indirectly, via accumulating currency) delicious tracks for an in-game jukebox.

theaface

100% done! After thinking I was going to have a long struggle with the final Mummy Maze, j went from a personal best of level 26 to full completion. The adorable
crown
you receive for completing it was almost worth it!

zroid

Banned
100% done! After thinking I was going to have a long struggle with the final Mummy Maze, j went from a personal best of level 26 to full completion. The adorable
crown
you receive for completing it was almost worth it!

That happened to me too, lol. I was struggling a ton but once I made it past 30 I just... kept going... :p

Roo

How the hell do I get the
Golden Mushroom in Chute Scoot Slopes???
I swear I looked everywhere but I didn't find any viable solution.
I thought it would only need to get rid of the Chargin' Chuck at the end but that didn't work.

How the hell do I get the
Golden Mushroom in Chute Scoot Slopes???
I swear I looked everywhere but I didn't find any viable solution.
I thought it would only need to get rid of the Chargin' Chuck at the end but that didn't work.
You gotta
fall off a certain ledge from a much higher part of the level and land directly on the raised part with the mushroom. The part you fall off of is made of wooden planks, I believe.

Edit: vvv yup

octopiggy

Finally beat the Mummy-Me Maze stage. I'm so glad you don't get a target time after completing it. I don't want to go through that again. Controlling Toad, the camera and tapping on enemies all at the same time is hard work.

krae_man

Got to stage 46 of mummy maze. I'm surprised at all the people tapping enemies. I can't do that and control the camera at the same time so I just don't bother tapping. Enemies are mostly easy enough to avoid without tapping.

shawnlreed

I finally beat the Mummy-Me Maze Forever stage, and got stars on the Bonus book to 100% the game tonight. Feels great!
I absolutely loved Captain Toad from start to finish. It has that Nintendo polish and difficulty curve I enjoy so much in the Super Mario 3D games.
Check out the cool Captain Toad plush!
16014181840_2ec29aaf61_z.jpg

Top Bottom