• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

So I just finished chapter 3 today and clicked on this thread to see everyone's thoughts... And everyone is referencing a run button? What?

edit: Yup. I beat a majority of the game without realizing there was a run button. Amazing....

Gsnap

Well I finished it. And it's brilliant. I honestly don't think there's a single bad stage. I can't even praise 3D World that highly. I do wish there was a little more... "oomph" I guess. One or two more bosses, more of those little vignettes. But overall it's an almost perfect game.

I still haven't gotten all the challenges done yet, so I assume there's some sort of secret level waiting for me afterwards, but I'll get to that later.

Great game.

Nintendo's art style is simply fantastic.

I ain't even mad their games are 720 when they look like this

tumblr_nhjcdoufNK1qgjx30o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhjcba647V1qgjx30o1_1280.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So there's a way to download this on an Australian console? If not, when are they typically released?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I just finished chapter 3 today and clicked on this thread to see everyone's thoughts... And everyone is referencing a run button? What?

edit: Yup. I beat a majority of the game without realizing there was a run button. Amazing....

Just tried it, can't tell much difference.

Just noticed you can touch the screen to stun enemies in the main game too (only did it in the bonus levels). Was very useful in episode 3 for the spikes throwing stuff. But you end up mangling your hand trying to touch the screen while adjusting the camera and moving.

commissar

Pretty annoyed it was listed as releasing on the 2nd and then Nintendo Australia shift it to the 3rd when the store updated with the new year sales

I'm going to have to treat this game like I treated Super Mario Galaxy - have to stop myself from playing as I'd complete it in 2/3 sessions.

5 levels a day + 1 3D World.

Davey Cakes

I started Captain Toad yesterday and played the first couple of stages. I'm already charmed to heck and back.

The game presents itself wonderfully.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Gentlemen, 2015 is off to a good start.

GC|Simon

I got the game last Wednesday (December 31st) and arrived in episode three today. The game is way better than expected. It's fun. Lots of fun. The level design is brilliant, there is lots of variety and the game looks so freaking good. Can't stop playing :)

toad_01pyugu.jpg

toad_02ofuos.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
Great game! (The End Credits after 18 levels gave me a heart attack, though!)

Would love to see a 3DS sequel with stereoscopic visuals. Starring Captain Toadette?

I saw one behind the star of Shy Guy Heights.

Is there anything special about them? You can't touch them and unlock stuff? :p

TheMoon

I got the game last Wednesday (December 31st) and arrived in episode three today. The game is way better than expected. It's fun. Lots of fun. The level design is brilliant, there is lots of variety and the game looks so freaking good. Can't stop playing :)

toad_01pyugu.jpg

toad_02ofuos.jpg

Why don't you post the full-size versions?

Great game! (The End Credits after 18 levels gave me a heart attack, though!)

Would love to see a 3DS sequel with stereoscopic visuals. Starring Captain Toadette?

I saw one behind the star of Shy Guy Heights.

Is there anything special about them? You can't touch them and unlock stuff? :p

Nah I don't think there's anything special.

Just a reminder of who actually runs things.

Jofamo

I completed this game 100% over the course of four sittings, and the game is simply marvellous. As one of the many who thought the original Captain Toad levels in Mario 3D World should have their own spin off game (though admittedly I called for 3DS), this game is everything I wanted and much more. With these two games, Nintendo have really mastered the 3D Mario aesthetic. Everything is gorgeous, every character so full of expression.

I'm really, really looking forward to seeing what type of Amiibo support this game gets. I also feel like this game is perfect for additional DLC further down the line, and I hope it has sold well enough to have Nintendo looking into it.

Thinking further ahead, a sequel seems like a no brainer. Introduce cooperative play with Toad and Toadette. It could work both single player (with switching between characters), or multiplayer (one on the Gamepad, one on the TV). It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to design puzzle levels that take advantage of such a feature.

blu

I completed this game 100% over the course of four sittings, and the game is simply marvellous. As one of the many who thought the original Captain Toad levels in Mario 3D World should have their own spin off game (though admittedly I called for 3DS), this game is everything I wanted and much more. With these two games, Nintendo have really mastered the 3D Mario aesthetic. Everything is gorgeous, every character so full of expression.

I'm really, really looking forward to seeing what type of Amiibo support this game gets. I also feel like this game is perfect for additional DLC further down the line, and I hope it has sold well enough to have Nintendo looking into it.

Thinking further ahead, a sequel seems like a no brainer. Introduce cooperative play with Toad and Toadette. It could work both single player (with switching between characters), or multiplayer (one on the Gamepad, one on the TV). It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to design puzzle levels that take advantage of such a feature.
Aye (except for the completion part, which I'm quite far from).

BraXzy

Possible spoilers:
What is with all the Luigi's then? I've spotted a few so far like on the very top of a desert building level and behind a plant pot but I tried clicking on him and nothing seemed to happen. Are they just there to spot or is there something you can do with them?

TheMoon

Possible spoilers:What is with all the Luigi's then? I've spotted a few so far like on the very top of a desert building level and behind a plant pot but I tried clicking on him and nothing seemed to happen. Are they just there to spot or is there something you can do with them?

Luigi sprites were all over NSLU and SM3DW. It means nothing. It was a Year of Luigi thing. There is at least one Rosalina sprite, too. They're just easter eggs.

bart64

Banned
That's an awesome idea! Toad and Toadette the new Lolo and Lala! And another toast to the presentation; something about the lighting and art style coupled with high framerate and animation that makes this game feel extra tactile--it's therapy for my mind.

blu

That's an awesome idea! Toad and Toadette the new Lolo and Lala! And another toast to the presentation; something about the lighting and art style coupled with high framerate and animation that makes this game feel extra tactile--it's therapy for my mind.
For the past two generations I've seen only two instances of such craftsmanship going far beyond the mechanical requirements of the game and one of them is a 2.5d platformer-adventure (Trine/Trine2). EAD knock it out of the park with CT.

krae_man

Finally beat book 3. Loved the ending

Let's go on a victory mine cart ride...Oh shiny green star I think we should see other people bye!

Lol

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Finally I had time to start playing after dowloading it earlier. This game is gorgeous. I played only several levels yet but I like the level design so far. I have a cute weekend ahead.

Damn, I still need to grab this, Bayo, Smash and Hyrule. Argh decisions....

First Bayo 2, then Hyrule Warriors, Toad and finish with a bang (SSB).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The gamepad vibrates when you're over a golden mushroom. I kind of liked discovering that through that particular level.

That's why I struggled with that damn level. Because I disabled the rumble in the Gamepad since the day 1, because I really dislike the way it rumbles (like an old small phone).

Edit: sorry for the double post.

GC|Simon

Why don't you post the full-size versions?

I forgot my abload.de password. Then I uploaded them to Miiverse instead. That's full-size there, right?

I just finished episode three. I'm absolutely in love with this game. I'm going to play the bonus episode tomorrow.

Roo

After playing a few levels I can say I'm already in love with this game. It has so much charm, music is really good and Toad is simply adorable.
Can't wait to see what else this game has to offer.

Mummy Maze Forever can go fuck itself. Seriously. Spent so long on it tonight and the best I got was level 24 with about half the required coins.

No way I'm putting myself through the frustration of completing it. It's ridiculous difficult after a certain point.

Apart from that particular bonus level, outstanding game. But fuck that stage.

Kouriozan

About Mummy Maze
Personally I was just getting the coins on easy floors (1-10) then rushed to the exit. Ended up with 7k I think. Don't forget there is like 2k free coins in the final floor.
Run with ZR and get ready to touch anything with the gamepad, took me about 3 hours to complete the level.
I kept getting killed by hidden Bill Blaster and died 3 times on floors 40+ >.<
Without freezing ennemies, Shy Guys were my nightmare.

Here's something to get you in the mood.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This is weird, but I kind of feel like this game would have been more memorable/enjoyable if there was only one thing to collect per level on the first run through. Like, there's a really nice feeling of completeness when you solve a puzzle that has a clean solution, whereas having multiple objectives kind pushes my perception of the game away from "puzzle-box" and back toward "slow platformer level".

shrug

blu

..The carnage in the last carriage of Blizzard on the Star Express.. One Toad pushed beyond his tolerance levels.. One pickaxe.

Top Bottom