• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

Gambit

With this game, I just can't help but smile.

Just started Episode 2 and it just makes me laugh all the time. Every one of Toad's adorable little yelps

Roo

Eh?
What I mean is I think it's too expensive for what the game is. Even $40 would be fair, I reckon.

Another complaint, the music was kinda underwhelming. There's about three or four of the new tracks that I really like but the rest was kinda generic to me, and way too many remixes of boring songs (there were so many better tunes to choose from in SM3DW!).
Also, no "The Final Adventures of Captain Toad" remix? That's the best version of his theme song!

There are plenty of good things about it. I found the controls great and intuitive, and the visuals are amazing. The level design is good, if not particularly difficult - although I'm sure some of the bonus objectives I've missed will provide more of a challenge. The final twist was neat but I kind of took it for granted seeing as I had
the SM3DW save file...

We knew since day one the nature of the game would be rather short and Captain Toad not being able to jump and/or use power ups only added so much length so I'm not really sure what did you expect.
Also, you said you already have a 3D World save file so you already knew what you were getting.
Feeling "ripped off" definitely doesn't work here.

If someone can 100% the game including challenge times under 12 hours I'll eat my hat.

I honestly don't consider challenge times to be part of the experience like the gems or bonus objective because of how insanely tight some are. It's telling that as far as I know you get nothing for them.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
game came out today and I've just started it. it is lovely and man, those bonus level..!!!! I'm amazed. Italian GAF here

Gsnap

It's done. 100% (not including time trials). 15 hours 22 minutes.

Worth $40 for the amount of time you can get out of it alone, I'd say. That doesn't even take into account the fact that the game is basically non-stop fun from beginning to end. There wasn't a single level that I didn't like and I felt the difficulty balance was pretty good if you're going for 100%. I do wish there were a few more bosses and a few more music tracks, but it's a budget title so it's not the biggest deal. And like I said before, the music that is there is great, and the bosses that are there are instant classics. I hope we see them again in another game someday.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Dudes I just bought this game and I don't even have a Wii U yet. Something's wrong with me.
As long as you plan to have a wiiU in the future there's nothing wrong with you. Nintendo first-party games hold their prices like very few other things in the industry.

We knew since day one the nature of the game would be rather short and Captain Toad not being able to jump and/or use power ups only added so much length so I'm not really sure what did you expect.
Also, you said you already have a 3D World save file so you already knew what you were getting.
Feeling "ripped off" definitely doesn't work here.

Yeah, I knew it was short but I was expecting maybe a 12 hr campaign with about 2 hrs of bonuses. Even a 12 hr campaign with no bonuses would be better. And yeah I played and loved 3D World, but it's not even half as long as that. (Unless you were talking about the ending, which I think is a bizarre choice to spoil the ending for people who have 3DW.)
Anyway, I'm looking forward 100%ing the rest of main game and doing the rest of the bonus levels, although IMO they're far less fun than the main game (esp the Mummy Me ones). But I'm optimistic they'll improve.

So yeah, I feel ripped off. I've never bought a Nintendo game this lacking before and I guess I'm spoiled by Steam's prices so make of that what you will.

Edit:
Is there really someone who have 100% this game in 12 hours yet?

Yeah that's true, I forgot about that endless maze that people are stuck on. Perhaps I've prematurely judged the game, I'll see if my feelings change when I properly complete it.

CHC

As long as you plan to have a wiiU in the future there's nothing wrong with you. Nintendo first-party games hold their prices like very few other things in the industry.

Yeah that's why I did, got it for $30 with a coupon. So freakin' excited for this.

Gsnap

These time trials are ridiculous! You've got to be absolutely perfect on some of them. I'm clearing almost all of them with 0 seconds left.

Velcro Fly

i'm sure there are 100% speedruns out there that will be way less than 12 hours.

i mean a blind playthrough 100% in less than 12 would be impressive.

zlCfzS3cLo0NU50zIB

Edit:

I did it. 151. My thumb is surprisingly sore. Had to keep blowing into the mic to keep those platforms together. If anyone has breathing problems that's a horrid bonus objective.

JonnyKong

I'm finding it odd that they haven't announced what the Amiibos do yet. Surely they had this all planned from the get go? Unless they're actually going to unlock new levels using the bos, which I think is doubtful, I just don't know what could be taking so long. I just want a Toad amiibo darn it.

JoeM86

I'm finding it odd that they haven't announced what the Amiibos do yet. Surely they had this all planned from the get go? Unless they're actually going to unlock new levels using the bos, which I think is doubtful, I just don't know what could be taking so long. I just want a Toad amiibo darn it.

We'll probably find out in this month/next month's Direct

zlCfzS3cLo0NU50zIB

Edit:

I did it. 151. My thumb is surprisingly sore. Had to keep blowing into the mic to keep those platforms together. If anyone has breathing problems that's a horrid bonus objective.

Not sure if this will help you but you can tap fast with your finger quickly on the part of the gamepad that your supposed to blow into you don't want to blow, the quick movement will work.
It's hard to get the hang of but once you know precisely where to tap it's much easier than blowing, at least for me...

TheMoon

No they hadn't. Amiibo was first proposed early last year and thus none of the games coming out now had them included in the early planning stages. I believe Hayashida said in an interview in November or so that they were still figuring out the amiibo stuff for Toad.

Mohonky

zlCfzS3cLo0NU50zIB

Edit:

I actually felt this was poorly done because having to bring the controller up to blow into it was very off putting and made it hard to visibly keep track of the action.

I habe do e everything now except Mummy Me Maze Forever and beat the time challenges but I'm not counting time challenges. I did the very first level, say how exact you had to be and figured screw that for a joke.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is a very good video game.

jariw

I actually felt this was poorly done because having to bring the controller up to blow into it was very off putting and made it hard to visibly keep track of the action.

I just make a short shout instead, to keep the Gamepad in place. It's the difference in mic level that triggers the action.

I'm sure it's been asked in here, but is there a way on the cart levels to keep the gamepad from turning your body completely around?

I try the best I can to keep it straight when starting the level but it always goes wonky halfway through.

zroid

Banned
I'm sure it's been asked in here, but is there a way on the cart levels to keep the gamepad from turning your body completely around?

I try the best I can to keep it straight when starting the level but it always goes wonky halfway through.

I dunno, just use the stick to calibrate the view if it gets wonky

...or just use the stick alone, haha. I find it easier anyway.

jariw

You can accelerate the movement using the right stick. I turn around by turning the Gamepad about 90 degrees and then the rest with the right stick.

No, this is a small scale budget title. The box does not feature a Nintendo Network logo so DLC is clearly not planned and I it's not a big enough game for them to keep a team working on it beyond including amiibo features.
You're probably right. I'll sell my copy when I'm done.

Considering my interest in this game was mild at best seeing as I was indifferent to the Captain Toad stages in 3D World I'm a bit surprised how much I enjoyed this, then again EAD and all that. It almost feels like half my fun at times just came from Toad himself, like his little dancing motion with Toadette on occasion just slapped the stupidest grin on my face and I must've just had him dance around for a good few minutes before actually picking up the star.
My fuzzy feel good game of the year, or last year, a bit of both considering its UK release date.

I dunno, just use the stick to calibrate the view if it gets wonky

...or just use the stick alone, haha. I find it easier anyway.

I didn't realize you could just use the stick until later, since I was on a swivel chair at one point I gyro'd myself into facing the complete opposite direction to the screen in an effot to aim, conclusion is that I just can't gyro.

Zalman

This game is so so good. Like holy crap. It's overlooked even by Wii U standards. The level design is up there with the 3D Mario games. Amazing value for $40.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No, this is a small scale budget title. The box does not feature a Nintendo Network logo so DLC is clearly not planned and I it's not a big enough game for them to keep a team working on it beyond including amiibo features.

it doesn't have the amiibo logo neither, but it will support them
maybe dlc and amiibo will be the same thing, with mario, rosalinda and dk themed levels!

krae_man

I habe do e everything now except Mummy Me Maze Forever and beat the time challenges but I'm not counting time challenges. I did the very first level, say how exact you had to be and figured screw that for a joke.

I never had to move the controller to blow. I just blew from my normal playing position lying on the couch and it worked fine.

TheMoon

it doesn't have the amiibo logo neither, but it will support them
maybe dlc and amiibo will be the same thing, with mario, rosalinda and dk themed levels!

It doesn't have the amiibo logo because the version that shipped doesn't support amiibo unlike Smash and Kirby.

TheMoon

Why did nobody tell me this game has start screen idle animations?

Let it sit on the start screen for a moment and you get to exclusive dioramas that you can look around in! :O

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0118col.jpg

jimi_dini

I'm finally at the endless maze. Oh my god, what the hell. I had a great run within 15 minutes, got to 2800 coins, but then I got to a deadend and 4 or 5 ghosts behind me including 2 zombies. Which means i was doomed :(

If the zombies wouldn't run up to you every few seconds, it would be easy.

Why doesn't Captain Toad give you stamps? I loved them in 3D World.

BraXzy

Finally got round to completing the main game, loved pretty much every minute of it. I'd say I loved 80% of it and the rest either was so so on or hated. There were a couple of levels that got on my nerve. But most of the time I was just in awe of the awesome design of each level and the art and the oh so cute Toad. I'm on the bonus stuff atm.. quick question..
I've done the Super Mario 3D World bits, and every Toad Brigade bonus (god I hated the last one).. I've apparantly done every Mummy-Me and now have Episode 1 Prologue. I've done it but the next one hasntt come up. Do I need to get the tick on every episode 2 level for it? :S

EDIT: So I see that I need every optional extra and all gems to get the final thing. I think I'm going to call it where I am. I've had a lot of fun and don't want to sour it by getting frustrated as hell grtting the things I struggled on just to then have a crazy hard extra but. Please more Captain Toad games though Nintendo!

The main problem with the camera is when it zooms in, it literally just makes the image bigger. This doesn't make it much easier to judge distances. If the camera moved physically close to the action, you'd be able to resolve distances.

This is an otherwise fantastic game, though. I don't think I've ever been quite this charmed before.

BraXzy

The main problem with the camera is when it zooms in, it literally just makes the image bigger. This doesn't make it much easier to judge distances. If the camera moved physically close to the action, you'd be able to resolve distances.

This is an otherwise fantastic game, though. I don't think I've ever been quite this charmed before.

I had a few problems with the camera myself but the majority of the time it wasn't a problem or worked great even. There were a few levels where the camera felt too tight and restrictive when trying to see certain areas, and I never really like when the game took control of it but that's little things that mainly weren't a problem.

Gambit

Postgame question

Is there any reward for beating all time challenges?

I would like to know this as well, but I think it only changes the book covers.

Anyway, just finished Book 2 including the
speedruns
. I am still enjoying the game a lot and since it is supposed to be on the shorter side, I am trying to make the most out of it by fulfilling all objectives presented to me.

I still can't believe that Nintendo actually published a game starring Captain Toad and Toadette.

Just finished Mummy Me Maze. It took me a few attempts, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected.

Here are a few tricks (spoilered, just in case):

1) Walk when you need more reaction time. You don't have to worry about the Mummy Me catching up with you (it will sometimes increase and decrease the gap between you, but it will never actually catch up so long as you keep moving.

2) Use the touch screen to stun enemies when necessary (especially the Shy Guys and fire-spitting Piranha Plants).

3) Don't use the pickaxe in the "rest" floors. Get everything, then grab the pickaxe, immediately enter the next areas, and hold straight up. You'll make it all the way to the next warp box.

4) If you see a pickaxe in a regular floor, do your best to grab it unless it is incredibly out of the way, or quite risky. If you grab it and then enter the warp box, you can then smash a few walls and take a shortcut in the next floor.

5) Ignore any regular mushrooms if you don't need them. If you get hit on that floor, you can go back to get it.

6) You can be very strict on what coins you grab; don't make things harder for yourself by going out of your way to grab them. The 50th floor has roughly 1800 coins (and no enemies), so if you can actually get to the end, 5000 coins is actually incredibly easy.

Having now done everything apart from Challenge times (which I don't intend to bother with), my final thoughts are that I'm very happy Nintendo made this. It doesn't offer up many new ideas, as nearly everything is borrowed from Super Mario 3D World, but what's here is done perfectly. While I previously felt the game was too expensive for what it offers, I'm now a bit on the fence. Looking back, I did get a fair amount of playtime out of it. Certainly not as much as an actual Mario game (or most other Nintendo games), but it still lasted as long as many games from other developers, which release at full price. And it was incredibly fun from start to finish. I think at the most it could be said to cost a *little* bit too much, but not enough to make it poor value, and certainly not a rip-off by any definition. Also, while some people say this should have been released as DLC for Super Mario 3D World, or as an e-Shop only game, because it got a physical release, it;s possible to sell it after completion, bringing down the cost significantly. I don't really see much reason to keep it after beating it, as it doesn't offer much replay value.

I've done the Super Mario 3D World bits, and every Toad Brigade bonus (god I hated the last one)

That level is really easy if you just ignore the other Toads, throw the key at the first Magikoopa from the ledge next to the propeller platform (if you miss, don't worry; the key respawns), and then go to the top and defeat the other two Magikoopa with the turnips. Then just go back and actually collect everything/gather the Toads.

Xun

I started this today and it's an absolute joy so far.

My only complaint is that the main camera is too far away on most levels.

Top Bottom