• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

Shauni

I finally beat the Mummy-Me Maze Forever stage, and got stars on the Bonus book to 100% the game tonight. Feels great!
I absolutely loved Captain Toad from start to finish. It has that Nintendo polish and difficulty curve I enjoy so much in the Super Mario 3D games.
Check out the cool Captain Toad plush!
16014181840_2ec29aaf61_z.jpg

Where did you get all that from?

SCReuter

It will disappear one you play a couple of more levels.

Good. I was worried Nintendo pulled another Skyward Sword and I was gonna have to stare at that obnoxious camera message throughout the entire game.

Anyway, I'm loving Captain Toad otherwise. It's so cute. I'm up to the second book of stages.

Joei

Where did you get all that from?

That's a cool plush. I searched it and see that you can order it from Play-Asia, though it's sold out, but Amazon has it, which can be ordered from somewhere in Japan. I can't find the puzzle though.

izakq

The puzzle, I remember seeing it over at Best Buy, about a month ago. There was a Nintendo rep there that was doing a demo of the games coming out. She also was giving out a Smash Bros championship belt, a NES Remix poster, trading cards and something else, I can't remember.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The game is far from short if you want to get everything. Some levels are so tight and nicely designed it's a joy to replay them while others are frustrating, but overall it is a great game. Still on episode 3, getting closer to the end.

brau

Game is amazing.

Love it visually, and the puzzles are fun.

Also, i always laugh at the voices of Capt Toad haha his yell and phrases are pretty funny.

Roo

Is there an easy way to discover where the Golden Mushrooms are?
I recently finished all the episodes so now I'll focus to complete the game 100% but Golden Mushrooms are giving me a hard time.

I don't want to google/youtube them just yet but I also don't feel like wasting 20 minutes in every level searching for them :/

Also, i always laugh at the voices of Capt Toad haha his yell and phrases are pretty funny.
I love when enemies chase him and he starts screaming stuff like "Help" lol

izakq

I recently finished all the episodes so now I'll focus to complete the game 100% but Golden Mushrooms are giving me a hard time.

None that I can think of. Just make sure your headlamp is on while searching for them.

TheMoon

If it's an open level that you can freely walk around in, make sure to check all camera angles and blow into the mic/rub over the screen to uncover potentially invisible things. Of course you can also do this in linear levels. There's a specific level in book 1 that made me discover this as a very useful thing to do.

kunonabi

got to 4200 coins on mummy me maze forever than got owned by the black piranha plants because I forgot what their attack behavior was. Going to go a find a normal stage to practice with them.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Finally got this game today, and holy shit it is great! Am only on the second episode so far, but really looking forward to continue on it!

jholmes

got to 4200 coins on mummy me maze forever than got owned by the black piranha plants because I forgot what their attack behavior was. Going to go a find a normal stage to practice with them.

What worked for me was to sort of snake toward them zigzagging until they lunge and shoot a fireball, then quickly move to the side and zoom past them. It's critical to go past them after they've spat out a fireball because they have a lunging motion when they shoot that can easily hit you in close quarters.

Gsnap

Stupid mummy me maze!! The worst thing for me are dumb goombas. I can't ever see them. They're always just hiding behind a wall or just out of sight.

ugh.

jholmes

Stupid mummy me maze!! The worst thing for me are dumb goombas. I can't ever see them. They're always just hiding behind a wall or just out of sight.

ugh.

Quick question: are you turning the headlamp off before you get to the Goombas and Shy Guys? It makes those parts much easier.

Started playing the game a couple of days ago. It's so adorable, I love it when you clear the course. Plus, the ability to turn the headlight on and off is awesome! The little details.

Gsnap

Quick question: are you turning the headlamp off before you get to the Goombas and Shy Guys? It makes those parts much easier.

No. The headlight helps me see if there is a hole in the wall.

But if it helps keep the goombas from noticing me, then I'll give it a try.

Roo

None that I can think of. Just make sure your headlamp is on while searching for them.

If it's an open level that you can freely walk around in, make sure to check all camera angles and blow into the mic/rub over the screen to uncover potentially invisible things. Of course you can also do this in linear levels. There's a specific level in book 1 that made me discover this as a very useful thing to do.

Usually the golden mushroom is in a part of the level you have no reason to go otherwise. ;)

Ok, thanks guys. In that case I'll keep looking.
I won't bother with large levels tho :V

daydream

Banned
I finished the first book yesterday (aside from the time requirements).

Game is a veritable delight. Only thing that's bothering me is the lack of a quick restart. Should be a standard for every level-based game.

VICI0US

I'm absolutely loving this game but I'm putting it on hold until they patch in the amiibo support.

I need to justify owning every single one of the things somehow, lol.

shame they didn't have it ready for launch. I'm really curious what they'll unlock though.

E-phonk

Banned
just got it today, played the first 8 levels and the first bonus level. Love it, feels nintendo'ish in every possible way.
Also, the lack of loading and the way you start inside the first level when you first boot up the game is great.

kunonabi

What worked for me was to sort of snake toward them zigzagging until they lunge and shoot a fireball, then quickly move to the side and zoom past them. It's critical to go past them after they've spat out a fireball because they have a lunging motion when they shoot that can easily hit you in close quarters.

I ended up tapping them which totally forgot you could do.

After 23 hours I've completed everything aside from the challenge times. I'm not sure if I'm going to dive in on those or work on something else first.

I bought this on the eShop on Tuesday and I am blown away by this game.
It's not particularly hard (I'm already at Episode 3), but this game, it just...works.
The puzzles are nice, though I hope they'll get harder.
The presentation is awesome and I really hope that, after the awesome Pikmin Short Movies, there will be some Captain Toad short movies next, because this game has a lot of potential for a CGI animated series or whatever.
The graphics are truly amazing, everything looks basically perfect. Yeah, some can nitpick about the lack of AA or that the resolution is locked at 720p, but that said I don't even notice any jaggies or the lower resolution at all when I play.

It's really nice kicking back for 5 minutes or even an hour or two and just playing this game, because it's so good.
Already one of my GOTY contenders for 2015.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Pro-tip: Tapping on enemies on the gamepad freezes them. It's normally more trouble than it's worth (since you'll have to be moving with left analogue, running with one of the run buttons, babysitting the camera, AND tapping) but it's probably the best strategy for the Black Piranha Plants in MMMF.

izakq

Pro-tip: Tapping on enemies on the gamepad freezes them. It's normally more trouble than it's worth (since you'll have to be moving with left analogue, running with one of the run buttons, babysitting the camera, AND tapping) but it's probably the best strategy for the Black Piranha Plants in MMMF.

Tapping helped me with the Piranha Plants big time, as I could never time it correctly when they shoot out their fireballs whenever I'm close to them.

My tactic was if a plant was in my path, position the camera overhead (I position it to where Toad is running north). Once you're close enough (about 1 block distance away) start tapping. When you're far enough, (another block distance) stop tapping and then adjust your camera however you need to. I did not need to use the run buttons for these guys as long as I kept moving and didn't backtrack.

So I just got this yesterday. It was charming and fun, but I do feel slightly ripped off seeing as I finished the main game in about 5 hrs 45 mins, and I definitely wasn't rushing through them.

I know I still have to go back and 100% everything and do the bonus levels (I've already done about a quarter or third of them which has bumped my playtime up to about 6 hrs 5 mins). Even so, I can't imagine that taking more than another 6 hours, kinda wish I didn't spend $50 AUD on it. :/

I'm on the brink of finishing this (I just have three more Toad Team levels, and Mummy-Me Maze Forever left).

I do feel like £30 was a bit too much for this, but I'm not too bothered, as I plan on selling it as soon as I'm finished with it. I can probably get £25 for it on eBay, and it's not a game I ever see myself playing through again, so £5 to play through this was well worth it.

My only real criticisms (apart from the price):

1) I wish there had been more variety in bosses; there were only two, which were fought two and three times, respectively.

2) No "Restart" option in the pause menu. I honestly can't believe there are still games that fuck this up.

3) Extremely awkward/impossible to move the camera, walk/run, and stun enemies simultaneously, especially if those enemies are chasing you. The level in which you have to bait a Chargin' Chuck into knocking out all the Mudmen was a pain.

Those are minor complaints though. It was still a brilliant game; just short-lived.

"ripped off" ...

Eh?
What I mean is I think it's too expensive for what the game is. Even $40 would be fair, I reckon.

Another complaint, the music was kinda underwhelming. There's about three or four of the new tracks that I really like but the rest was kinda generic to me, and way too many remixes of boring songs (there were so many better tunes to choose from in SM3DW!).
Also, no "The Final Adventures of Captain Toad" remix? That's the best version of his theme song!

There are plenty of good things about it. I found the controls great and intuitive, and the visuals are amazing. The level design is good, if not particularly difficult - although I'm sure some of the bonus objectives I've missed will provide more of a challenge. The final twist was neat but I kind of took it for granted seeing as I had
the SM3DW save file...

jariw

So I just got this yesterday. It was charming and fun, but I do feel slightly ripped off seeing as I finished the main game in about 5 hrs 45 mins, and I definitely wasn't rushing through them.

I know I still have to go back and 100% everything and do the bonus levels (I've already done about a quarter or third of them which has bumped my playtime up to about 6 hrs 5 mins). Even so, I can't imagine that taking more than another 6 hours, kinda wish I didn't spend $50 AUD on it. :/

Is there really someone who have 100% this game in 12 hours yet?

Gsnap

If someone can 100% the game including challenge times under 12 hours I'll eat my hat.

I'm sitting at 14:19 and I've been working on Mummy Me Maze Forever for... well... forever. It's been at least 3 days and I still can't beat it. (granted, I only play it about twice a day)

And I have done absolutely none of the challenge times.

Top Bottom