• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Car crashes into people after Eid prayers in UK - likely accidental

Regginator

Armed police and the police helicopter were called to the scene, with the recent terror attack on a group of Muslim in Finsbury Park still fresh in people's minds.

However, police have said they do not believe the crash is terror related, Chronicle Live reported.

A 42-year-old woman has been arrested, Northumbria Police said.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/821057/Westgate-road-crash-eid-prayers-Newcastle-Muslim-attack

One of the children is said to have been critically injured. Northumbria Police said the incident was not believed to be terrorism-related.

One eyewitness said: "From what I understand, [a woman who had been at prayer] was about to leave in her car and I believe she lost control.

Another eyewitness: "When I spoke to people at the scene that had seen what happened they said that she was exiting a car park and suddenly accelerated into a crowd of people.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-40397028

Fresh and still developing. Seems more like an incident than a targeted terror attack (which I initially feared), but regardless of what this is, I hope the injuries are minor and there are no fatal casualties. Stay safe Newcastle!

KZObsessed

Holy shit, not again. Hopefully no one is seriously hurt.

Edit:
BBC said:
"From what I understand, [a woman who had been at prayer] was about to leave in her car and I believe she lost control.

Sounds like it was one of the worshippers.

Aranath

According to witnesses, the driver was exiting a car park and then suddenly accelerated into the group of pedestrians.

Six hurt so far. Hoping for a speedy recovery for them.

Audioboxer

Woke up to this and thought here we go again, but

Northumbria Police said the incident was not believed to be terrorism-related.

A 42-year-old woman was arrested and is in custody, police said.

"When I spoke to people at the scene that had seen what happened they said that she was exiting a car park and suddenly accelerated into a crowd of people."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-40397028

Children injured. Hope everyone makes it. I also hope the internet isn't a mass of spreading misinformation but that's probably too much to ask.

daviyoung

Banned
I'm deploying Occam's razor until there's more evidence than people not thinking it's terror related. That could mean anything.

THE:MILKMAN

Article says it's not being treated as a terrorist incident and a 42yo woman was arrested on the scene.

Reading the latest update on the BBC and it seems the woman is believed to have been at prayer and lost control as she attempted to leave the car park. I guess it is a automatic car and the pedals were mixed up as we have seen many times?

Juicy Bob

This might sound ridiculous, I know, but how about we wait for the facts to be known before we jump to conclusions either way?

Reading the latest update on the BBC and it seems the woman is believed to have been at prayer and lost control as she attempted to leave the car park. I guess it is a automatic car and the pedals were mixed up as we have seen many times?

This is where I'm leaning right now.

I imagine this happens a lot but with everyone on edge right now, every little accident is being reported as a potential attack until proven otherwise.

Regginator

Woke up to this and thought here we go again, but

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-40397028

Children injured. Hope everyone makes it. I also hope the internet isn't a mass of spreading misinformation but that's probably too much to ask.

I don't know man, don't police initially always say (or suggest) that to reduce panic? Because the part where the driver "accelerated into the crowd" doesn't seem like an ordinary crash, but it may very well have been a poor choice of words.

"When I spoke to people at the scene that had seen what happened they said that she was exiting a car park and suddenly accelerated into a crowd of people.

Audioboxer

I don't know man, don't police initially always say (or suggest) that to reduce panic? Because the part where the driver "accelerated into the crowd" doesn't seem like an ordinary crash, but it may very well have been a poor choice of words.

No, the police call it an incident before they change to suspected terror attack. They've outright said quite early on here they do not think it's a terror attack.

Also seems like there was a Police presence at the event so officers may even have witnessed it crashing and know it to be an accident?

velociraptor

How the fuck do you exit a car park and then suddenly accelerate into a crowd? If she was indeed one of the people at the prayers, was she on drugs?

Newcastle person checking in. Apparently it's just a Muslim woman driver involved in a traffic accident, according to facebooks.

Actually should make clear that's third hand info as I'm not on facebook and merely receiving updates from friends.

How the fuck do you exit a car park and then suddenly accelerate into a crowd? If she was indeed one of the people at the prayers, was she on drugs?

Quite easily in theory. Goes to pull out of exit but sees a car coming at the last second (or some other distraction) and in panic at going for the brake she hits the accelerator instead.

Happens quite a lot almost always with automatic cars.

Tadaima

The location was omitted from the title but I knew this was going to be UK news. 😕

But fortunately it sounds accidental. Hope nobody was killed.

BigDes

There are loads of videos on youtube about people doing shit like this, not normally into a crowd, but hitting the accelerate pedal rather than the break, or shooting forward when they thought they were reversing and then totaling their car.

NekoFever

Old people crashing into shops and things is quite common if it's an automatic car. Hit the wrong pedal with the force you usually press the brake with and the car shoots forward instead of stopping. Usually made worse by the panic because they then hit the accelerator even harder as they try to stop.

_Nemo

There are loads of videos on youtube about people doing shit like this, not normally into a crowd, but hitting the accelerate pedal rather than the break, or shooting forward when they thought they were reversing and then totaling their car.

The fuck? This can't seriously be that common?? Are these people driving with both feet or something? This is the kind of shit you see in comedies. You'd need to be an extremely shitty driver to make such an error.

BigDes

The fuck? This can't seriously be that common?? Are these people driving with both feet or something? This is the kind of shit you see in comedies. You'd need to be an extremely shitty driver to make such an error.

No idea. I assume it is people just plain not paying attention to what they are doing.

cromofo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCz7wN_qtog

Some people are really shit at driving.

disclaimer: quit watching at 3:05, some kids are getting squashed. unless you're into that. 1:35-1:50 probable fatality, might skip that if you don't wanna see.

MrCarter

What I don't understand is she clearly managed to get into the car, put on her belt (?) and turn the ignition on - then managed to hit the accelerator with so much force that it ran over a few people? Ridiculous. It may be an accident but I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a lifetime ban.

What I don't understand is she clearly managed to get into the car, put on her belt (?) and turn the ignition on - then managed to hit the accelerator with so much force that it ran over a few people? Ridiculous. It may be an accident but I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a lifetime ban.
Sadly this does happen all the time. Usually people panic and press harder on the pedal, still convinced in their mind that "I'm pressing the brake not the gas". Modern cars can accelerate quite quickly from a stop.

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...toyotas-unintended-acceleration-scare-feature

bosseye

I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a lifetime ban.

Doubtful, you have to really go some here to get that. Even those scallywags who nick a car and then go on a high speed spree only find themselves banned for a couple of years.

Depending on the fatalities etc in this incident then possible death by dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention or some variant of that. Jail time possibly, a fine, lengthy ban but not lifetime.

cromofo

I think manufacturers need to seriously look at reconsidering the design and placement of pedals in automatic cars to minimise the chances of getting the two pedals confused.

IDK how left/right can be further simplified.

From what I've seen, even the size/shape is different.

You just have to be really really dumb to mistake the pedals. Gas, brake and clutch must look like rocket science to those people. But then again, panic seems to be an important factor.

Top Bottom