• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Car crashes into people after Eid prayers in UK - likely accidental

Nivash

Sadly this does happen all the time. Usually people panic and press harder on the pedal, still convinced in their mind that "I'm pressing the brake not the gas". Modern cars can accelerate quite quickly from a stop.

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...toyotas-unintended-acceleration-scare-feature

This. There's been some behavioral research done on this and, from what I understand, it's like a mental short circuit. You think you're hitting the breaks but you're not, and the fact that you're not shopping just makes you jam down the pedal you think is the break even harder. There have even been deadly accidents.

Some recommend that you should teach people in driving school to let go of all pedals if it feels like the car is accelerating out of control and just steer. That way you'd at least stop accelerating and eventually stop completely, especially since there have been cases where people keep accelerating for minutes without realising they're pressing the wrong pedal down.

Lucreto

What I don't understand is she clearly managed to get into the car, put on her belt (?) and turn the ignition on - then managed to hit the accelerator with so much force that it ran over a few people? Ridiculous. It may be an accident but I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a lifetime ban.

It could simply be bad foot placement on the pedals. I once nearly hit a car when I was learning because I didn't move my foot enough from the accelerator to the break and was pressing the two pedals which caused the car to accelerate. Caused me quite a scare and made sure that would never happen again.

Tecnniqe

Banned
IDK how left/right can be further simplified.

From what I've seen, even the size/shape is different.

You just have to be really really dumb to mistake the pedals. Gas, brake and clutch must look like rocket science to those people. But then again, panic seems to be an important factor.
Size of the break pedal is usually massive square shape while the gas is a small horizontal line shape.

I don't get how you mistake the two by the feel of the pedals alone.

Violet_0

Banned
Some people are really shit at driving.

disclaimer: quit watching at 3:05, some kids are getting squashed. unless you're into that. 1:35-1:50 probable fatality, might skip that if you don't wanna see.

uhm, not sure if it's such a good idea to link a video which isn't directly related to this incident in which some people get seriously injured or even die, kids among them

uhm, not sure if it's such a good idea to link a video which isn't directly related to this incident in which some people get seriously injured or even die, kids among them

I don't think any kids actually die. Pretty close, though.

Honestly, I think these videos should be required viewing for anybody driving a five thousand pound death machine. Pay attention!

DBT85

Glad at least to see it was possibly just an accident.

Plenty of automatic cars now that so many cars are coming with double clutch boxes btw.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Horrible but thankfully it was just an accident. Nice to see a strong response to what could have been a terrorist attack on the citizenry. Hopefully the children hurt make a full recovery.

samn

Stop letting members of the public operate tons of combustible metal around large groups of pedestrians. Refocus cities around cycling and public transport

THE:MILKMAN

There was heavy police presence at my mosque today too, I think the they've been deployed at every major mosque.

Makes sense right now. It seems this incident happened within the grounds of the sport centre rather than exiting it onto a main road as I first thought. I would imagine a good chance that all of this was caught on CCTV.

Raiden

Banned
Self driving cars cant come soon enough. Even when the technology is not 100% there, the numbers wont lie as there will be far less lethal accidents.

In a 100 years people will be looking at our time thinking why the hell we let people control a massive steel vehicle with just our hands and feet.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
One eyewitness said: "From what I understand, [a woman who had been at prayer] was about to leave in her car and I believe she lost control.

What a horrible accident. :(

samn

Self driving cars cant come soon enough. Even when the technology is not 100% there, the numbers wont lie as there will be far less lethal accidents.

In a 100 years people will be looking at our time thinking why the hell we let people control a massive steel vehicle with just our hands and feet.

Self driving cars have many of the same issues as current vehicles. Cities built around them will still be miserable places to live.

Top Bottom