• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

kogasu

Seven Force shares the same favourite SotN music duo as me, hooray!
Crystal Teardrops is so good, the organ bit at the end practically ensures that i'm left standing by the area exit and not leaving until its finished. As for the area itself, I love the thin sheets of ice over some pools of water that you can just smash through, SotN is full of little details like that.

Gotta agree with that. Crystal Teardrops is one of my absolute favorites from SotN.... well that and Lost Painting.

Also, from your list Nocturnowl, Cross a Fear is definitely my favorite from Rondo as well. The song is just awesome. It's funny to me, I beat the Rondo of Blood remake on PSP and paid no mind to the song when I got to Stage 2'. I went along not thinking anything special. It wasn't until I played the original version and got to Stage 2'. I heard the original with all of the original synths and I instantly loved it. I have replayed that level so many times now heh.

DoS was better balanced when it came to weapons/souls, to be fair.

Yeah, I got that feeling as well. That why I said its kinda like AoS 1.5 in a way. Same game, but updated.

I've finished all of them now except OoE, and I've completely enjoyed them all. Seriously, these games need to come back...

Gotta agree with that. Crystal Teardrops is one of my absolute favorites from SotN.... well that and Lost Painting.

Also, from your list Nocturnowl, Cross a Fear is definitely my favorite from Rondo as well. The song is just awesome. It's funny to me, I beat the Rondo of Blood remake on PSP and paid no mind to the song when I got to Stage 2'. I went along not thinking anything special. It wasn't until I played the original version and got to Stage 2'. I heard the original with all of the original synths and I instantly loved it. I have replayed that level so many times now heh.

I actually have a similar experience going through the Rondo remake before the original, the remake doesn't capture the same tone that makes the original version so pleasing, in fact at first I thought it was a different track entirely.

Man, I had completely forgotten about Belmont's Revenge. I do remember there being some songs I liked from there including Praying Hands that Seven Force posted. Thinking back on it, I did like how better it felt over The Adventure. Might go back to replay it when I get a chance.

kogasu

I actually have a similar experience going through the Rondo remake before the original, the remake doesn't capture the same tone that makes the original version so pleasing, in fact at first I thought it was a different track entirely.

Yes exactly! The newer versions are much more symphonic which is ok but as we see here, it can change the overall "quality" or tone as the original.

Just gave in and bought Harmony of Despair for the psn and can't find an online game. Kind of a bummer.

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, go into custom search and change the region settings. It's US by default, making it worldwide should help

also I'm getting urges to jump into the game again right now

Marz

No this thread can't die yet lol.

What's your guys' favorite sub weapon? Mine has to be the knife, even in the Metroidvanias the speed of the knife is one of my favorite weapons even though it tends to be pretty weak.

Also just played and finished Aria of Sorrow for the first time yesterday and wow that might just be my favorite Castlevania now, the soul system isn't as refined as DoS, but the music is better and I don't have to draw seals to finish bosses lol.

Running through Harmony of Dissonance right now and don't see why it gets so much hate...I'm even feeling the music.

Oh yeah and opinions on the Gameboy Castlevanias? Worth a play through at all?

Just gave in and bought Harmony of Despair for the psn and can't find an online game. Kind of a bummer.

I still play from time to time so if you want you can add me.

What's your guys' favorite sub weapon? Mine has to be the knife, even in the Metroidvanias the speed of the knife is one of my favorite weapons even though it tends to be pretty weak.

Also just played and finished Aria of Sorrow for the first time yesterday and wow that might just be my favorite Castlevania now, the soul system isn't as refined as DoS, but the music is better and I don't have to draw seals to finish bosses lol.

Running through Harmony of Dissonance right now and don't see why it gets so much hate...I'm even feeling the music.

My favorite sub weapon has to be the Sacred Fist from Harmony of Dissonance. I love that weapon because it was the first sub weapon that let me start sequence breaking. Plus it looks cool how it made you throw a flurry of whip attacks at once.
As for the Gameboy Castlevanias, I only remember The adventure, which was my first Castlevania game, though it wasn't that good, and Belmont's Revenge which was actually pretty good and it introduced sub weapons and stage selects to the mix. I've only played Legends once but my memory of it is very fuzzy so i couldn't tell you much about it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

I love the knives in Symphony of the Night and Circle of the Moon's "Hunter" mode (homing knives!), but I'm also partial to Symphony's Vibhuti (white ashes you toss on the ground) and Agunea (lightning gun).

Hey! I've graduated from Junior membership! Huzzah!

They were white ashes? well that makes more sense than killer birdseed...
Anyway i'm going to be boring and go with the Cross/Crucifix, reliable old sub weapon that one. Runner up the SotN's magical book that whizzes all around the player, unfortunately it starts getting too weak to do much towards the later half of the game.

Creaking

Ugh, I actually forgot about the throwing cross...

That's another favorite. Very satisfying to distance yourself properly to score maximum damage.

Shining

I'll have to say TEH AXE because it's thrown in an arc. Otherwise i stick to the cross during boss fights.

Sgblues

For me its holy water, whether it be stationary when it burns, or it moves along the ground, I always liked it, especially with triple shot in games like CV3, where it kills anything before they have a chance to do anything, course it has its drawbacks like needing a surface to burn on, would be too op if you could smash bottles on enemies/bosses and they caught on fire.

Oh and the GB games are great, fantastic music on them.

Mieu

I love the knives in Symphony of the Night and Circle of the Moon's "Hunter" mode (homing knives!), but I'm also partial to Symphony's Vibhuti (white ashes you toss on the ground) and Agunea (lightning gun).

Hey! I've graduated from Junior membership! Huzzah!

I'm still junior LOL

Cross is fine for me

SkyOdin

My favorite sub-weapon has to be Holy Water, followed by the Cross. Knives are fun too. Not really a fan of the Axe.

I am still a little disappointed that the Combat Cross from Lords of Shadow didn't get a boomerang transformation as an upgrade. Why have a cross in a Castlevania game that you can't throw at zombies?

Portrait of Ruin has a truly crazy number of sub-weapons though. Being able to throw hand-grenades was a nice mix-up for the franchise. Too bad that the SP system completely killed my ability to enjoy that variety. However, when I was messing around with Richter mode after clearing the game, I realized that Maria Renard probably has the best sub-weapons (and probably the best basic attack) that I have seen. The cardinals and cat are really useful.

It is rather strange that there isn't a gun among all those sub-weapons in Portrait of Ruin, though. The closest Jonathan had was a crossbow that shoots a stick of dynamite. But it doesn't make much sense that a member of the Morris family in the 20th century wouldn't be bringing at least a handgun when diving into the depths of Dracula's castle. Did IGA have a no-guns policy for Castlevania protagonists? The only gun-wielding main characters I am aware of were Nathan Graves from Circle of the Moon and Henry from Legacy of Darkness, and both of those games were struck from canon.

Soma can use a gun, my last run through on DoS had me wielding a katana and Silver Gun combo which works surprisingly well as use of short hops, back dashes and their special moves make both weapons able to pull out quick successive attacks.

I forgot about Maria and her host of animal sub weapons, the killer cat was a good one for sure.

I like the old-school cross, because of its versatility (multiple hits front and back? Yes please)

And Offense and Defense is probably the best song on the HoD soundtrack

I also wonder: were the guns in Aria of Sorrow meant for Hammer? They seem like they'd fit him more.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects

The Castlevania Adventure is mostly garbage, probably the worst game in the series that isn't Haunted Castle. It's just so slow and sluggish. Prepare to rage at some of the pixel perfect jumps it requires. Outstanding soundtrack though.

Belmont's Revenge fixes most of the major problems of the first game. Still a little slow, but a solid game. Also has an outstanding soundtrack.

Legends is meh. It's not frustrating in the way that Castlevania Adventure is, it's just kinda boring. and the music is pretty dull too.

And Offense and Defense is probably the best song on the HoD soundtrack
I had forgotten about this song haha. It's good, but I like Chapel of Dissonance song better. Now that I think about it, there is not that many songs in this game I liked, and I usually like almost all castlevania game soundtracks.

graywords

I love the knives in Symphony of the Night and Circle of the Moon's "Hunter" mode (homing knives!), but I'm also partial to Symphony's Vibhuti (white ashes you toss on the ground) and Agunea (lightning gun).!

Love both the ashes and the lightning ring, myself. Great ideas, the lightning effect is really cool (though the weapon sucks up way too many hearts), and ashes are strong and look hilariously wrong.

In most of the other games I'll gravitate towards the cross and holy water.

Don't forget about the Key from Rondo! :D That thing was killer.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat OoE with Albus. The game feels super easy until you hit the castle bosses, still nothing too crazy.

BUT DRACULA, FUCKING DRACULA!

OMG, beating him with Albus took me like 30+ tries. No joke. The fucking bats/wolves + rays combo is fucking insane. For those looking for a challenge, I recommend it lol.

Albus mode is great fun, he's got an enjoyable set of attacks to work with.
The game is easy mode until you hit the castle and then shit well and truly gets real.
I'm not sure who I found more of a gruelling challenge, Eligor or Dracula.

Marz

I just beat OoE with Albus. The game feels super easy until you hit the castle bosses, still nothing too crazy.

BUT DRACULA, FUCKING DRACULA!

OMG, beating him with Albus took me like 30+ tries. No joke. The fucking bats/wolves + rays combo is fucking insane. For those looking for a challenge, I recommend it lol.

Yea I still need to run through OoE again, think I'll dig back into it after I finish HoD.

Sgblues

You can't hit me! You you can't You can't you you you you can't hit me! Optical shot! Max Shot! Living bullet!(more like flippin' bullet).

Besides Henry and Albus, I figured Hammer would have been a character to use mainly guns if he was playable, course there was also the rumor he was suppose be like Grant to complete the CV3 crew in Julius mode for DOS.

CO_Andy

Anybody ever played Return of Egypt? For a homebrew SOTN-like game it's surprisingly polished, although very short (2 hours to beat). Might need a pad since the game relies on Street Fighter-like motions to perform magic (which are absolutely essential to beating the bosses).

564051127_84f2c450ea_o.png

Didn't know this thread was here. I've had a love for this series since the NES version, though Death always screwed me when I fought him. Still have fond memories of the Super Castlevania, and the hidden items right below the entrance too. I posted this in the Videogame Facts thread, but I guess it's relevant here too.

Luigi died trying to kill Dracula in Castlevania: Mirror of Fate on 3DS?

While playing with Alucard, you find a dead guy holding a scroll which reads:

iJyECRdkNVpve.jpg

kogasu

My favorite sub weapon is probably the cross. It has saved me more times than any others. I also tend to like the stopwatch as well but, as we know, it's almost ineffective on the bigger enemies and useless in boss battles.

I kind of like the holy water too but it tends to change from game to game. I don't seem to like it when it's just a small stationary flame. I like it when it spreads like when Richter throws it....also HYDRO STORM!!! heh

Marz

Didn't know this thread was here. I've had a love for this series since the NES version, though Death always screwed me when I fought him. Still have fond memories of the Super Castlevania, and the hidden items right below the entrance too. I posted this in the Videogame Facts thread, but I guess it's relevant here too.

Haha that's pretty neat.

My favorite sub weapon is probably the cross. It has saved me more times than any others. I also tend to like the stopwatch as well but, as we know, it's almost ineffective on the bigger enemies and useless in boss battles.

I kind of like the holy water too but it tends to change from game to game. I don't seem to like it when it's just a small stationary flame. I like it when it spreads like when Richter throws it....also HYDRO STORM!!! heh

Cross is pretty good too. I think Axe is kind of OP in some of the games since it allows you to attack above you which makes certain game ALOT easier.

Not sure if this was mentioned in this topic or not. Yuta Romeo's youtube has been amazing for Castlevania music.

Huge Medley compilation. (82 minutes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2lKRktcD00&feature=related

and his recent one is "New Messiah"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2iNYyZLvqU

Whoa!

Arkanius

I know everyone hates LoS here but, have you guys seen the latest Gamescon trailer?

The new revealed Belmont is Victor Belmont, from the canceled Castlevania Ressurection (Dreamcast). Cool choice there, the appearence is even the same.

Creaking

Huh, interesting. Victor's goatee always stands out to me though. I don't know what it is about it.

Just finished a playthrough of OoE, and it's still absolutely fantastic. Starting SotN again now for the umpteenth time, although to be fair I haven't beat it in a few years.

Castlevania fo life yo.

Maedhros

Victor Belmont from LoS2 looks freaking amazing. I'll be fucking pissed if we don't get a "Julius mode" in this game (even if it comes as DLC).

Top Bottom