• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

Raptor

Enter your name as X-X!V ' ' Q, get all the sub weapons in the Prologue and let Dracula beat your ass to pulp. You start with like, 25 HP and bare minimum stats. That will make the game difficult for the first... half hour or so... after you get the Basilard things even back out a bit, but still not as easy as default. The Lapis Lazuli you start with will give you a lot of crits and better drops, so eventually you'll be back to regular easy mode, but for a while at least you'll have to be careful.

It's starting to cool off a little here, which means Autumn is coming and it'll be time for my yearly playthru too.

Damn I already started normaly :/, will make a separate save with this info.

I already got the Wolf Transformation, beated 2 monsters one that grabs a dino with a spear ro something and Evil Alucard, meet the old man and bought a map, a item to open blue doors.

Don't know where to go now lols.

Retro

Damn I already started normaly :/, will make a separate save with this info.

I already got the Wolf Transformation, beated 2 monsters one that grabs a dino with a spear ro something and Evil Alucard, meet the old man and bought a map, a item to open blue doors.

Don't know where to go now lols.

Marble Gallery or Chapel both have doors you can open with the Gem.

Rich!

I bought Symphony of the Night earlier from the retro store in town.

Am I in for a good time? I've only ever played Aria of Sorrow for the GBA, and it was awesome. Big fan of Metroid.

I'll start it tonight anyhow.

I bought Symphony of the Night earlier from the retro store in town.

Am I in for a good time? I've only ever played Aria of Sorrow for the GBA, and it was awesome. Big fan of Metroid.

I'll start it tonight anyhow.

If you liked Aria, you'll like Symphony. My favorite was Dawn of Sorrow, because I loved Aria so much and DoS just expands on everything that makes Aria great.

Symphony is a real classic and pretty much the one that started it all. The lack of a soul system is really the only thing holding it back from being my favorite one. Gotta catch 'em all.

Raptor

How the hell do I kill that damn red bird?

This is becoming Demon Souls in 2D version lol, the save point is a little way behind and there is not another one close to that boss.

If I get a weapon drop I should go back to save right? I made a mistake because I got a drop from a Corner Guard, it was a good sword with 24 stat and keep going forward got killed before get to a save point, that damn red bird man.

This is becoming Demon Souls in 2D version lol, the save point is a little way behind and there is not another one close to that boss.

If I get a weapon drop I should go back to save right? I made a mistake because I got a drop from a Corner Guard, it was a good sword with 24 stat and keep going forward got killed before get to a save point, that damn red bird man.

You mean the Hippogryph boss in the Chapel?I never really had trouble with it because it just so predictable with all of it's attacks being slow and readable. If you have enough magic for it, use Soul Steal to heal yourself during the fight. I think I remember cheaping the boss out with that plus the Holy Water for when it landed

Wat.

Dude, SotN is not even on the same planet that Demon Souls is, difficulty-wise.

Just nab some holy water and go to town on its ass.

Raptor

Well not in the Dif aspect but on the Save aspect, that I have to redo all the way to the boss if I don't kill him, basically learning by memory everything up to that point so I can get there all full on Life and Magic.

I was using that little bible that surrounds you magic but I will go an search for some Holy Water, is the Blue little bottle right?

Is really fun though so Im not complaining.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The "puppet holes" from DoS and the "narrow frog passages" from PoR must be among the lamest obstacles in gaming. Turning into mist to go through a fence does have some sense in the context of the game. Iga was pretty much changing that for the sake of not being SotN.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Well not in the Dif aspect but on the Save aspect, that I have to redo all the way to the boss if I don't kill him, basically learning by memory everything up to that point so I can get there all full on Life and Magic.

I was using that little bible that surrounds you magic but I will go an search for some Holy Water, is the Blue little bottle right?

Is really fun though so Im not complaining.

There are usually save rooms nearby before each boss battle. The Hippogryph boss room might be approachable from both sides though, so maybe one side lacks a save room. However, that's never seemed to be the case in my experience. Make sure you explore the area(s) before the boss fight thoroughly before charging onward.

Yeah, I believe there is a Save room near that boss towards the bottom. As I said before, if you start running out of health, just use the Soul Steal spell if you have read up on the inputs, bought it from Librarian, or found it accidentally by mashing buttons. That spell is a godsend in that it does good damage plus heal ability.

Raptor

Yeah, I believe there is a Save room near that boss towards the bottom. As I said before, if you start running out of health, just use the Soul Steal spell if you have read up on the inputs, bought it from Librarian, or found it accidentally by mashing buttons. That spell is a godsend in that it does good damage plus heal ability.

Wiki said:
Once Soul Steal is castable, the player must input the following combo in order to cast the spell: (when facing right) left, roll down from right to left, then left plus an attack button

So that means left and then a hadouken in reverse right?

I didn't even knew spells were castable god damn.

You always start it with the opposite direction from where you are facing : Back, Forward, Down, Back, Forward+Attack button. Don't know why the wiki ends it with the same direction you start the cast with since that is wrong.

Raptor

So beated that damn red bird with that holy water, nice tip it went down easy as hell, got the double jump little wings, I have the option to go way down to the catacombs or something that there are frogs and stuff or way up to where it has big ass blue skulls.

Advice?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A lot of the castle opens up once you get the double jump. You should revisit some levels you already cleared where you surely saw platforms that were previously unreachable. I think your next objective is probably to get the Mist form, which IIRC is in the Colosseum, but I suggest you just explore on your own, it's a lot more fun this way.

Edit: aren't the Catacombs way deep, after the Underground Caverns and the Abandoned Mines? I thought the "places with frogs and stuff" was the Caverns, but now I'm not sure what he means...

I tend to call the bit right at the bottom the crypt but actually I think it is the catacombs, well either way the destination is the same, keep going down. Area with the frogs is definitely referring to the caverns though.

Raptor

A lot of the castle opens up once you get the double jump. You should revisit some levels you already cleared where you surely saw platforms that were previously unreachable. I think your next objective is probably to get the Mist form, which IIRC is in the Colosseum, but I suggest you just explore on your own, it's a lot more fun this way.

Edit: aren't the Catacombs way deep, after the Underground Caverns and the Abandoned Mines? I thought the "places with frogs and stuff" was the Caverns, but now I'm not sure what he means...

Yes caverns, where is water and frogs enemies, I got killed by a phantom that throws ice spikes or something, but at that point I was just exploring, not doing any serious advancing since I Was about to turn it off.

You might be right. Only reason I found it during my first play through was cause I explored every inch of that place. Which to this day, I'm still like that with all my Castlevanias :D

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
You might be right. Only reason I found it during my first play through was cause I explored every inch of that place. Which to this day, I'm still like that with all my Castlevanias :D

Reminds me of Wolfenstein 3D, where, in one of the levels--as if they weren't labyrinthine enough-- you had to push a secret wall in order to progress. Not for a bonus area or anything like that, but for the next regular level.

Reminds me of Wolfenstein 3D, where, in one of the levels--as if they weren't labyrinthine enough-- you had to push a secret wall in order to progress. Not for a bonus area or anything like that, but for the next regular level.

I think I remember that stage. I think it took me 1 to 2 hours to find that damn wall.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
the_evolution_of_simon_belmont_by_shiraikimiaki-d387jwf.png

Discuss.

Isn't this pic a bit misleading? NES Simon looks totally off, at least compared to the box art, and even in-game. He definitely never wore a cape. (Trevor had one in CV3, though)

SNES Simon seems wrong, too, especially the colour.

In defense of the Judgment art, I think the character model looks way better in-game.
MoF Simon is a nice reimagination fitting the new LoS style.

SkyOdin

None of those designs really look like they fit someone from either 1567 or 1691 (depending on where you think Simon Belmont's story fits in the timeline). Simon Belmont is a contemporary of the Golden Age of Piracy, not Conan the Barbarian.

So I finally got Dracula X Chronicles (after putting it on hold for a while) for my Vita a week ago. I'm not exactly looking forward to jumping between platforms for the Dracula fight lol

that is Rondo/Dracula X right?

Is it just me or does it look like his head is sinking into the armor in that Castlevania IV pic

And yeah I'm fine with the MoF design, as already said it fits in well with the Lords of Shadow art style.

So I finally got Dracula X Chronicles (after putting it on hold for a while) for my Vita a week ago. I'm not exactly looking forward to jumping between platforms for the Dracula fight lol

that is Rondo/Dracula X right?

Dracula X Chronicles is the Rondo remake. The platform jumping one is the SNES version.

zainetor

Banned
So only the SNES one has it, thank goodness lol. I thought Rondo had it too so I was all "oh please no", I'm guessing more got changed from the original to SNES release than I thought.

in rondo, the battle with dracula is the same as the SOTN prologue.
In the remake they added something to the final battle, if you find all the maidens.

sgt jumpy

Banned
Soooooo I bought Aria/Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia after reading this thread. :B

I have SotN and will probably rebuy LoS for PC. Never finished it on PS3, traded it while halfway through.

So only the SNES one has it, thank goodness lol. I thought Rondo had it too so I was all "oh please no", I'm guessing more got changed from the original to SNES release than I thought.

Funny you say that because I loved that part of the fight. In fact I think I liked it more than Rondo because it felt more closer to the classicvania games. For me, RoB was the start of the Modernvania games.

sgt jumpy

Banned
Ok so I've never actually played SotN. Dracula kills me as Richter every time, right in the beginning, and I say "fuck this," and turn it off. I guess I need to somehow select holy water and have it as my item?

Newb question, I know... How do I make it rain on Drac's punk ass?

Yeah Sotn was truly a great game, I loved the fact Alucard had tons of moves plus secret effects and abilities for almost all his weapons and other equipment, it really made the game stand out that in later Castlevania titles they would simplify in gameplay.

Drawing parallels to Super Metroid, a another game that I love for the same reasons, in that Samus had loads of moves both known and hidden that made the game so unique and fun discovering and using them in situations plus like Sotn, its series gameplay would simplify also with many of the moves Samus uses never showed up in later games.

With SotN, they were a lot more superfluous, so there's no comparison. Super Metroid necessitated practically every single powerup you could find on some level.

Yesterday I finished Dawn of Sorrow. The castle on this one is pretty damn big. It rubs me in the worst way though that they got rid of secret areas in this game. Why would you do that? It kinda confirms that it was a watered-down sequel to Aria in many ways. Also, fuck those magic seals.

Also, the grinding required to get some souls like Final Guard or even Bone Ark was fucking ridiculous. I made sure to have the Ghost Dancer soul to level 9 but it feel like it didn't matter. It still is a good game but it wasn't a great idea to replay it right after OoE.

I agreed they overdid the grind/fusion thing. That aside, there was a better sense of soul/weapon balance.

Enter your name as X-X!V ' ' Q, get all the sub weapons in the Prologue and let Dracula beat your ass to pulp. You start with like, 25 HP and bare minimum stats. That will make the game difficult for the first... half hour or so... after you get the Basilard things even back out a bit, but still not as easy as default. The Lapis Lazuli you start with will give you a lot of crits and better drops, so eventually you'll be back to regular easy mode, but for a while at least you'll have to be careful.

It's starting to cool off a little here, which means Autumn is coming and it'll be time for my yearly playthru too.

You need to beat the game before you can use that trick.

Top Bottom