• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

zainetor

Banned
Ok so I've never actually played SotN. Dracula kills me as Richter every time, right in the beginning, and I say "fuck this," and turn it off. I guess I need to somehow select holy water and have it as my item?

Newb question, I know... How do I make it rain on Drac's punk ass?

What are you talking about? Yopu cant die in the prologue.

YOu do charged attacks with triangle, if I remember correctly, but you need 10 hearts at least to specials.

Speaking of SoTN, I've gone back to playing it again, but this time I'm trying to do the 1 Kill only challenge. I must say that the Revenge Tech is harder than looks as I've been stuck on the First boss. It sucks that I can't seem to do it, but I will not back down from this challenge.

Ok so I've never actually played SotN. Dracula kills me as Richter every time, right in the beginning, and I say "fuck this," and turn it off. I guess I need to somehow select holy water and have it as my item?

Newb question, I know... How do I make it rain on Drac's punk ass?
I will also mention that depending on how well you do and what subweapon you have or don't have in the first Dracula fight will determine Alucards beginning stats

sgt jumpy

Banned
Not a joke post, but I didn't mean "kill,"I guess. I seem to be unable to damage Drac. I miss with holy water and don't know how to use spells. :(

Of course I haven't tried it since I downloaded the game last year... Don't be cruel!

Maedhros

Not a joke post, but I didn't mean "kill,"I guess. I seem to be unable to damage Drac. I miss with holy water and don't know how to use spells. :(

Of course I haven't tried it since I downloaded the game last year... Don't be cruel!

The fuck dude? How old are you? 5?

Attack it's head. You're literally invencible on the prologue.

Kokonoe

Banned

All right. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Just keep in mind that you cannot lose that part in the game because Maria will turn you invincible when you lose your health. The part is to symbolize the Final Boss of a previous Castlevania game and give you prologue to the story. If you "lose", you aren't technically losing.

I think you should probably work on your attitude torwards losing in video games. Losing doesn't always mean you suck or whichever. There's a lot to learn from losing!

Mike M

Nick N
I will also mention that depending on how well you do and what subweapon you have or don't have in the first Dracula fight will determine Alucards beginning stats
What?

Anyway, I just started Order of Ecclessia this weekend. I'm digging the Glyph system, I find it reminiscent of the card system in Circle of the Moon, which I felt was criminally underrated.

I do feel like I'm sucking pretty badly though, bosses are eating me alive so far until I get their patterns down. My health and DPS are so low that they take so long to kill that I end up making a mistake and getting knocked around for multiple hits as a result. That fucking crab took forever because nothing I threw at it seemed to do much damage and I kept fucking up enough that I'd get tagged to death. Argh.

Sanctuary

Sniff, I would like to play a Metroidvania like Castlevania again... Lords of Shadows was sooo disappointing after playing Symphony of the Night

To each their own. Pretty much every Castlevania after Symphony tried to be another Symphony. Even if Lords of Shadow "tried to be God of War", it was still a great game, and probably one of the best action/adventure games of 2010. I for one and glad they actually went for something different. The franchise was getting ultra stale, and Lords doesn't somehow stop Symphony from being as good as it is.

Maedhros

What?

Anyway, I just started Order of Ecclessia this weekend. I'm digging the Glyph system, I find it reminiscent of the card system in Circle of the Moon, which I felt was criminally underrated.

I do feel like I'm sucking pretty badly though, bosses are eating me alive so far until I get their patterns down. My health and DPS are so low that they take so long to kill that I end up making a mistake and getting knocked around for multiple hits as a result. That fucking crab took forever because nothing I threw at it seemed to do much damage and I kept fucking up enough that I'd get tagged to death. Argh.

In this game you learn to be CAREFUL with bosses. They'll skin you alive if you try to go at them without care.

Use hammer gliphs for the crab. They are the best ones for him.

Funny you say that because I loved that part of the fight. In fact I think I liked it more than Rondo because it felt more closer to the classicvania games. For me, RoB was the start of the Modernvania games.

I dunno, the fact you have to hop from platform to platform, factor in the whole "fly back a little when hit" thing, doesn't sound too fun to me lol. Then again I like Super Ghouls n Ghosts and all that game does is kick my ass lol, so I guess I should try it out at some point.

That said, I apparently didn't get the best ending in Dracula X Chronicles, so after playing that version of Symphony I'll work on fixing that. The new dub kinda threw me off for a little bit even though I knew they redubbed it. I miss the original Die Monster dialogue, though the faster loading is definitely nice.

What?

Yeah. They overdid the "weak against all but one weapon type" aspect.

The CotM card system was too reliant on random drops and pre-knowledge/lucky guesses to activate the combo effects.

To each their own. Pretty much every Castlevania after Symphony tried to be another Symphony. Even if Lords of Shadow "tried to be God of War", it was still a great game, and probably one of the best action/adventure games of 2010. I for one and glad they actually went for something different. The franchise was getting ultra stale, and Lords doesn't somehow stop Symphony from being as good as it is.

Except that only Harmony of Dissonance tried to be another Symphony. The Sorrow games IMO bested it. Sometimes refinement is more important than innovation.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I liked every Metroidvania (I mean actual Castlevania in the Metroid style, not the generic game type xD) I played and I'm fairly sure I played 'em all (though I didn't get far into Order of Ecclesia and it's not pure Metroidvania I guess), but SotN is still the best for me. There's just something magical about it that the others never quite reached, IMO.

Dekanach

Symphony of the Night was a mind-blown for the first time that i play it, but always likes the gameplay of Super Castlevania IV. It's simple and straight, nothing more. And the music is fucking awesome.

Maedhros

I liked every Metroidvania (I mean actual Castlevania in the Metroid style, not the generic game type xD) I played and I'm fairly sure I played 'em all (though I didn't get far into Order of Ecclesia and it's not pure Metroidvania I guess), but SotN is still the best for me. There's just something magical about it that the others never quite reached, IMO.

Probably the easiness of the game. You can complete it in 2 hours.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Probably the easiness of the game. You can complete it in 2 hours.
I don't think it's that. I like challenging games after all, and I always held SotN's easiness as a flaw. But the level design and soundtrack are just too wonderful. I don't doubt there's a lot of nostalgia, though, I mean I played that back in '97 when it came out and remember being so awed. But those levels never feel old.

Maedhros

I actually don't like it that much anymore. I can close my eyes and see the game being played from the start to the finish. I prefer replaying COTM these days.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I like Symphony because of it's castle. It's probably because you go through it twice, but it's always been the most memorable in design to me. Either Aria's or CotM's castles come in second in that regard, though Aria's castle reminded me heavily of Symphony.

It really is an easy game though. You get so many powerful tools, but nothing is remotely challenging enough to ever have to use them. I'd love a sequel to Symphony, or a game that uses it's tools and has it's scope but gives you legitimate reason to use everything.

Holy shit, the Gravediggers in OoE are pastiches of Q from Third Strike. Fucking LOL
With the big boot, throat throttling and classic design I couldn't help but think of The Undertaker from the early nineties.

4kDsW.png

Said enemy also made me rest in peace on more than one occasion, good thing he didn't get away with an undefeated streak.

I like Symphony because of it's castle. It's probably because you go through it twice, but it's always been the most memorable in design to me. Either Aria's or CotM's castles come in second in that regard, though Aria's castle reminded me heavily of Symphony.

It really is an easy game though. You get so many powerful tools, but nothing is remotely challenging enough to ever have to use them. I'd love a sequel to Symphony, or a game that uses it's tools and has it's scope but gives you legitimate reason to use everything.
The castle in Symphony does well to not feel like a jumble of themed rooms just scattered around absent-mindedly. It's the small details in layout like the long staircase and tall spires in the chapel, the symmetrical setup of the arena, the descending shaft of the abandoned mine and the thin vertical tower on the side of the castle that help bring together a sense of cohesion in how the areas are put together relative to their individual theme with map layout to match.
Of course the top notch atmosphere and god tier soundtrack help this aspect as well.
This isn't to say that later games have castles that don't pay attention to the smaller details regarding layout but none of them give me the same well structured feeling that SotN has.
Though i'm not too fond of the inverted castle, i'm surprised the concept worked as well as it did but it still wasn't really designed to be easily traversed on the ceiling along with Finale Toccata in 75% of the castle never quite getting around to the good part since the long theme resets often as you travel around.

The sheer easiness of the game is a weakness, in my last run I seemed to inadvertently end up overpowering myself from a levelling standpoint bashing a few fish heads down in the caverns, I didn't expect them to dish out as much exp as they did for that point in the game. With the amount of powerful tools available to the player I think the game might've wanted to convey a sense of powering up to the point of daring the player to just break the game, it's just a shame it gets as easy as it does within a short space of time, definitely a game with a reverse difficulty curve and it's not even too tricky in the early stages either.
At times I think I might slightly prefer Ecclesia for its much better handling of difficulty but deep down I still think Symphony is the one for me regardless of how the trip through Dracula's Castle is more of a pleasant sight seeing tour for the most part.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You wanna talk about easy? In my last playthrough of SotN on the PSP version (the Dracula X remake one), I got a random drop of the Crissaegrim. I had heard of that weapon before but I never farmed for it 'cause it was a really rare drop and the game was easy enough without it anyway, but I was lucky on this playthrough and got a drop really quickly into the inverted castle by playing normally.

The slaughter that followed was just too much. lol, that weapon is gamebreaking.

You wanna talk about easy? In my last playthrough of SotN on the PSP version (the Dracula X remake one), I got a random drop of the Crissaegrim. I had heard of that weapon before but I never farmed for it 'cause it was a really rare drop and the game was easy enough without it anyway, but I was lucky on this playthrough and got a drop really quickly into the inverted castle by playing normally.

The slaughter that followed was just too much. lol, that weapon is gamebreaking.

I remember I just randomly got the Crissaegrim on my first playthrough of the PS1 version without trying, it dropped, I used it and thought "hooo boy this is some overpowered blender stuff". It really makes the game easier. I thought the game couldn't possibly get any more broken.

Then I discovered the Shield Rod/Alucard Shield combination. Welp.

I remember I just randomly got the Crissaegrim on my first playthrough of the PS1 version without trying, it dropped, I used it and thought "hooo boy this is some overpowered blender stuff". It really makes the game easier. I thought the game couldn't possibly get any more broken.

Then I discovered the Shield Rod/Alucard Shield combination. Welp.

I remember try the Shield Rod/Aludard shield combo but saw that nothing happened and took up mp so I never used it. It wasn't until 2011 I think that I read up on what it did and was completely shocked. As for the Crissaegrim(Valmanway) I did get that to drop since I was leveling in the Inverted Library. That combined with the Ring of Varda I had gotten made it way over powered.

I remember try the Shield Rod/Aludard shield combo but saw that nothing happened and took up mp so I never used it. It wasn't until 2011 I think that I read up on what it did and was completely shocked. As for the Crissaegrim(Valmanway) I did get that to drop since I was leveling in the Inverted Library. That combined with the Ring of Varda I had gotten made it way over powered.

Yeah I used the combo at first and was all "Great, so... now what happens" and since it didn't look like anything happened really I switched the shield rod back to my sword. A few seconds later when I was going to hit an enemy I accidentally pressed the button I assigned the Alucard Shield to rather than my sword and saw that it hit the enemy, I thought "This is gonna be fun" and just ran through enemies lol. I even took down Galamoth with it too without even realizing he's apparently one of the hardest bosses in the game, I only read that online shortly after and laughed at just how broken this was.

With the big boot, throat throttling and classic design I couldn't help but think of The Undertaker from the early nineties.

4kDsW.png

Said enemy also made me rest in peace on more than one occasion, good thing he didn't get away with an undefeated streak.

The castle in Symphony does well to not feel like a jumble of themed rooms just scattered around absent-mindedly. It's the small details in layout like the long staircase and tall spires in the chapel, the symmetrical setup of the arena, the descending shaft of the abandoned mine and the thin vertical tower on the side of the castle that help bring together a sense of cohesion in how the areas are put together relative to their individual theme with map layout to match.
Of course the top notch atmosphere and god tier soundtrack help this aspect as well.
This isn't to say that later games have castles that don't pay attention to the smaller details regarding layout but none of them give me the same well structured feeling that SotN has.
Though i'm not too fond of the inverted castle, i'm surprised the concept worked as well as it did but it still wasn't really designed to be easily traversed on the ceiling along with Finale Toccata in 75% of the castle never quite getting around to the good part since the long theme resets often as you travel around.

The sheer easiness of the game is a weakness, in my last run I seemed to inadvertently end up overpowering myself from a levelling standpoint bashing a few fish heads down in the caverns, I didn't expect them to dish out as much exp as they did for that point in the game. With the amount of powerful tools available to the player I think the game might've wanted to convey a sense of powering up to the point of daring the player to just break the game, it's just a shame it gets as easy as it does within a short space of time, definitely a game with a reverse difficulty curve and it's not even too tricky in the early stages either.
At times I think I might slightly prefer Ecclesia for its much better handling of difficulty but deep down I still think Symphony is the one for me regardless of how the trip through Dracula's Castle is more of a pleasant sight seeing tour for the most part.

The castle in Symphony was a little too big IMO, with only a handful of warp rooms, compared to Aria and everything after. Too backtracky.

Order should have limited elemental immunities to the top tier mooks/bosses.

sgt jumpy

Banned
All right. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Just keep in mind that you cannot lose that part in the game because Maria will turn you invincible when you lose your health. The part is to symbolize the Final Boss of a previous Castlevania game and give you prologue to the story. If you "lose", you aren't technically losing.

I think you should probably work on your attitude torwards losing in video games. Losing doesn't always mean you suck or whichever. There's a lot to learn from losing!
Oh man, I feel silly. I just couldn't do damage to Dracula at all. I guess I kept missing his head? Anyway, I killed him last night or the day before and began my adventure as Alucard.

I've been playing video games for over 20 years and have suffered my fair share of losses. I couldn't figure out how to damage him and thought it had to be broken or I just sucked.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, Harmony of Despair is on sale next week on PSN. Just an FYI for those like me who haven't picked it up yet.

Finally begun my GBA collecting and theres no better start than one of my favorite series in video-gaming: Castlevania. Got these for very good prices last week and I'm excited to relive the occult classics (especially Aria!). Now all I need is Circle of the Moon to complete my GBA collection (probably wont get the double pack/classic re releases).

Both CIB.

photo2_zps1af8f1ad.jpg

photo_zpsc93ea13c.jpg

I do have a question however: Unfortunately there is some sharpie writing on my Aria of Sorrow manual so I was wondering if anyone here had any remedies/simple means of removing it without damaging the paper? Any help would be most appreciated of course!

photo1_zps4a6eb769.jpg

(Reposted from GBA thread :)

Nags

Banned
Finally begun my GBA collecting and theres no better start than one of my favorite series in video-gaming: Castlevania. Got these for very good prices last week and I'm excited to relive the occult classics (especially Aria!). Now all I need is Circle of the Moon to complete my GBA collection (probably wont get the double pack/classic re releases).

Both CIB.

I do have a question however: Unfortunately there is some sharpie writing on my Aria of Sorrow manual so I was wondering if anyone here had any remedies/simple means of removing it without damaging the paper? Any help would be most appreciated of course!

(Reposted from GBA thread :)

Nice but I always liked the original Japanese boxes for GBA a bit better:

Castlevania_-_Aria_of_Sorrow_%28Japanese_Box_Art%29.jpg

Can't answer your question though. Wouldn't want to recommend anything that might damage it further, I have used orange oil to remove price tags and such, but yeah on that really thin cardboard you might end up warping it.

Nice but I always liked the original Japanese boxes for GBA a bit better:

Castlevania_-_Aria_of_Sorrow_%28Japanese_Box_Art%29.jpg

Can't answer your question though. Wouldn't want to recommend anything that might damage it further, I have used orange oil to remove price tags and such, but yeah on that really thin cardboard you might end up warping it.

I like the how the red sun cresting behind the castle is more prominent but the boxes are nearly identical save for the GBA advance bar which I agree is artwork muddling crap but nostalgic now lol. Thankfully the cover art remained untouched because Ayami's Kojima's art is both stunning and perturbing all the same :)

And...yeah though I hate the sharpie it is only on the manual rather thn say the box or cartridge to my fortune I suppose.

Joei

Anyone here picking up the Lords of Shadow compilation that's being released in a few weeks? I just finished LoS a few weeks ago and found out about the compilation that includes Mirror of Fate HD and the DLC for LoS, as well as the original game and a demo for LoS2.

I'm kind of interested in purchasing it. I wanted to buy the DLC right after finishing the game, but held off because I was not paying 20$ for a few chapters when the game itself only cost me a little over 20$.

I know Symphony of the Night started this gangster shit and all, but I have to go with Dawn of Sorrow as my favorite Castlevania. The controls are tight, the level design is good, and I love the soul system.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone here picking up the Lords of Shadow compilation that's being released in a few weeks? I just finished LoS a few weeks ago and found out about the compilation that includes Mirror of Fate HD and the DLC for LoS, as well as the original game and a demo for LoS2.

I'm kind of interested in purchasing it. I wanted to buy the DLC right after finishing the game, but held off because I was not paying 20$ for a few chapters when the game itself only cost me a little over 20$.
If there's a good trade in deal I might get it on release. Otherwise, I'll wait for a sale.

Is this for consoles only or is it coming out on PC as well. If it does come out for PC I'm all for triple dipping on LoS and double for MoF.

I'm picking it up. Already 110% the game and bought the dlc but the irrationality of collecting compulsion requires my purchase :p

Marz

I know Symphony of the Night started this gangster shit and all, but I have to go with Dawn of Sorrow as my favorite Castlevania. The controls are tight, the level design is good, and I love the soul system.

Yea, Dawn is really good. It would probably be my favorite if it werent for those stupid seals.

Yea, Dawn is really good. It would probably be my favorite if it werent for those stupid seals.

THIS is the by far the most prevalent reason why I prefer Aria of Sorrow as my 2nd favorite "IGAvania" lineage title. Also....
DAT FINAL FIGHT WITH JULIUS ZOMG

Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate is $16 US Funbux on Play-Asia at the moment. It's not a great game, but it's probably worth about that much if you're curious. US version, so you need to have a matching 3DS because of region locking.

Nope. Didn't mind LoS or MoF but didn't like either of them enough to repurchase and couldn't care less about the DLC.

Parsnip

Nope. I'm going to wait until they release the MoFHD on PC and pick that up.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Man, I'm craving some Metroidvania but my copy of Order of Ecclesia was lost while moving (I think) :/ I remember I was stuck pretty hard in some mountain/mine level, that game was pretty hard compared to the earlier DS 'Vanias.

Are we ever getting a new 2D sprite-based Castlevania?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Castlevania is one of the two games that I kinda attempted to have a collection (the other one being Halo):

Mt074Ej.jpg

I *ALMOST* bought Mirror of Fate for the 3DS, even though it appears to be not that good of a game and has a terrible FPS. I'm so glad I didn't, because I can then buy it when it comes out for PC. Lords of Shadow is amazing and I really want to see it running at 60FPS on PC, but since I already finished it and it's DLC on 360, i'll just wait for a sale... Fingers crossed!

Tadale

Man, I'm craving some Metroidvania but my copy of Order of Ecclesia was lost while moving (I think) :/ I remember I was stuck pretty hard in some mountain/mine level, that game was pretty hard compared to the earlier DS 'Vanias.

Are we ever getting a new 2D sprite-based Castlevania?

It's insane that we went from one every year or so to absolutely nothing. Did Order of Ecclesia do that bad? It's been five years since that game came out. I remember people complaining about the quantity of games during that time, which was a real shame because each of the three DS games were really great, and it wasn't like there's always been a ton of that style game available.

Tizoc

What's the overal impression on Castlevania Chronicles for the PSX? I know it's a remake of 1, and have been wanting to get it off US PSN for some time.

Top Bottom