• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

Joei

Just started playing Lords again last night. I only got to chapter 2 a year or so ago and couldn't fight through it any longer, I just thought the game was boring, but I'm going to try and muster through it now since I've read it picks up after the first few chapters. What's the general opinion of the Lords game here?

Also, I notice that Curse of Darkness isn't on the main list. It's a shame since it's the only 3D Castlevania I really liked. I felt it was ALMOST able to capture that SotN feel in 3D, it was just missing... something.

Ahasverus

Victor Belmont from LoS2 looks freaking amazing. I'll be fucking pissed if we don't get a "Julius mode" in this game (even if it comes as DLC).

yep, he's amazing, it's also nice how they kept the original VIctor Belmont color palette
Just started playing Lords again last night. I only got to chapter 2 a year or so ago and couldn't fight through it any longer, I just thought the game was boring, but I'm going to try and muster through it now since I've read it picks up after the first few chapters. What's the general opinion of the Lords game here?
The best 3D CV bar none, a better GoW than GoW and a great game. Hope you're playing on PC though! Oh and the real game starts with the first Lord Battle, chapter 2 is TERRIBLE.

Yeah, despite my general apathy towards the LoS games, resurrecting (heh) Victor is a pretty inspired idea. Hats off to MercurySteam for that one.

Ahasverus

Yeah, despite my general apathy towards the LoS games, resurrecting (heh) Victor is a pretty inspired idea. Hats off to MercurySteam for that one.

I for one think LoS2 will be their redemption with some fans. They simply haven't shown a single questionable thing (heh) and they seem to be treting it with much more respect to the old series.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Also, I notice that Curse of Darkness isn't on the main list. It's a shame since it's the only 3D Castlevania I really liked. I felt it was ALMOST able to capture that SotN feel in 3D, it was just missing... something.

It's environments were far too barren and unnecessarily long for the player's movement capabilities (You have basically two options: run, or dodge forward constantly, neither of which are particularly fast.) That makes exploration and backtracking a real drag. One big problem is how flat everything is. It lacks the verticality that Castlevania is known for, probably because the jumping mechanics would have made for pretty poor platforming. The enemies are a little less varied as well, and I think some are borrowed from Lament of Innocence.

But yes, I love Curse of Darkness too. I'm replaying it on crazy mode, though in very spaced apart sessions.

SkyOdin

I first played through Lords of Shadow a couple months ago. It improves significantly in Chapter 2. The first several missions show off the absolute worst of the game. It does have quite a few redeeming features if you get past those.

I think the game has a few really big flaws:
-The writing is overwrought and weak. While the story has some interesting twists, and I appreciate what they were attempting, the end result is that you hear a great actor delivering a lot of bad lines that have no relation to the rest of the game. The Brotherhood scrolls manage to be ten times worse.
-The platforming is only occasionally good. Most of the time it is too scripted.
-The action controls are a little loose for my tastes. They function, but stuff like a lock-on would have helped. The combat has its pluses, but isn't on par with stuff like DMC.
-The backtracking is pretty forced and pointless.
-The Titan fights are absolutely horrible.

On the other hand, the game does have its good points:
-Boss fights against enemies that aren't Titans can be fun.
-The magic system, while in need of some refinement, works quite well.
-Whatever flaws the game may have in terms of writing and plot, the environments are gorgeous. Mercury Steam's environmental artists, both conceptual design and modelers, are incredible. While a lot of the locals don't feel particularly Castlevania-like, that doesn't mean they don't look great.
-The people who made the game are definitely die-hard Castlevania fans, and it shows in the game. While they set out to make something different than classic Castlevania, the game is still packed with references to other Castlevania games.
-The game has a lot of relics and abilities to unlock, and they are pretty fun to use.

Overall, while I don't think the game is perfect, I can appreciate that they tried to do something different with the franchise.

Dascu

I for one think LoS2 will be their redemption with some fans. They simply haven't shown a single questionable thing (heh) and they seem to be treting it with much more respect to the old series.

I still haven't seen any actual platforming or combat that doesn't take you ten hits to kill something. And I'm sure some of the story with Satan and what-not will be stupidly ridiculous and melodramatic.

Arkanius

I first played through Lords of Shadow a couple months ago. It improves significantly in Chapter 2. The first several missions show off the absolute worst of the game. It does have quite a few redeeming features if you get past those.

-The writing is overwrought and weak. While the story has some interesting twists, and I appreciate what they were attempting, the end result is that you hear a great actor delivering a lot of bad lines that have no relation to the rest of the game. The Brotherhood scrolls manage to be ten times worse.
-The platforming is only occasionally good. Most of the time it is too scripted.
-The action controls are a little loose for my tastes. They function, but stuff like a lock-on would have helped. The combat has its pluses, but isn't on par with stuff like DMC.

-Whatever flaws the game may have in terms of writing and plot, the environments are gorgeous. Mercury Steam's environmental artists, both conceptual design and modelers, are incredible. While a lot of the locals don't feel particularly Castlevania-like, that doesn't mean they don't look great.
-The people who made the game are definitely die-hard Castlevania fans, and it shows in the game. While they set out to make something different than classic Castlevania, the game is still packed with references to other Castlevania games.
-The game has a lot of relics and abilities to unlock, and they are pretty fun to use.

Overall, while I don't think the game is perfect, I can appreciate that they tried to do something different with the franchise.

This.
MercurySteam are really die-hard Castlevania Fans that love the franchise and tried to do something really different and parallel to Iga's timeline.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm replaying DoS at the moment and boy the story is baaaad. Now I remember why I prefer AoS over it: it wasn't just the style change that was off-putting but the whole story is full of anime tropes.

I know Castlevania games aren't about the story but still, the twist at the end of Aria coupled with the music and awesome Kojima artwork is engraved in my memory forever. Such a great moment. I think the anime of DoS and PoR kills the atmosphere of the castle if that makes any sense.

Marz

I'm replaying DoS at the moment and boy the story is baaaad. Now I remember why I prefer AoS over it: it wasn't just the style change that was off-putting but the whole story is full of anime tropes.

I know Castlevania games aren't about the story but still, the twist at the end of Aria coupled with the music and awesome Kojima artwork is engraved in my memory forever. Such a great moment. I think the anime of DoS and PoR kills the atmosphere of the castle if that makes any sense.

Yea this is a big reason why I prefer OoE over the other DS vanias.

Creaking

This is why I don't like Dawn of Sororw all that much. Portrait of Ruin less so, because it mostly focused on new characters rather than damaging pre-existing ones, though poor death was a bit of a doofus.

Garland7G

The last castlevania game I played was #2 on the nes, do any of the newer games have dark souls style level layouts and combat? just wondering since I think that would be awesome.

Edit: I just realized this was a dumb question but hey, its that time of day.

Maedhros

Names.

That's the only reference they have. Names, places. Everything else is different (people will say reimagined, I don't agree, it's completely different).

Garland7G

Define what you think this is.

3D open world, interconnected area's, main weapon choices, and skill based combat. When I write it out like this it would seem like it should be every castlevania game released this gen. If this is the case which would you recommend best fits into what I described?

Kamina

Golden Boy
The last castlevania game I played was #2 on the nes, do any of the newer games have dark souls style level layouts and combat? just wondering since I think that would be awesome.

Edit: I just realized this was a dumb question but hey, its that time of day.

Dark Souls is pretty much a Metroidvania type game made 3D.
And nothing has Dark Souls type combat except maybe Demon's Souls.

Creaking

3D open world, interconnected area's, main weapon choices, and skill based combat. When I write it out like this it would seem like it should be every castlevania game released this gen. If this is the case which would you recommend best fits into what I described?

The closest thing I can think of is Curse of Darkness, but that was on the PS2, and it has some issues. Other than that, the handheld Castlevanias are like you describe, nix the 3D part. The most recent, and only big 3D Castlevania this gen is Lords of Shadow, but, all feelings aside, it's based on a linearly progressing level path, and you only have one main weapon (the Combat Cross, AKA, Whip) but a bunch of combos for that weapon and a few artifacts besides. Combat is plenty skill based though.

Garland7G

Dark Souls is pretty much a Metroidvania type game made 3D.
And nothing has Dark Souls type combat except maybe Demon's Souls.

The closest thing I can think of is Curse of Darkness, but that was on the PS2, and it has some issues. Other than that, the handheld Castlevanias are like you describe, nix the 3D part. The most recent, and only big 3D Castlevania this gen is Lords of Shadows, but, all feelings aside, it's based on a linearly progressing level path, and you only have one main weapon (the Combat Cross, AKA, Whip) but a bunch of combos for that weapon and a few artifacts besides. Combat is plenty skill based though.

Thx for clearing this up ;)

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE GREAT MUSIC.

Castlevania: HD OST - Vampire Killer

Both of these are so good

On another note, I'm almost done with my third playthrough of SotN, I swear this is a game I can keep coming back to and it still feels new and fresh to me, sometimes upon entering an area I'm like "Oh damn it's this location, I remember now!" Putting this game on my Vita was one of the best things I've done in a while.

Sgblues

Yeah Sotn was truly a great game, I loved the fact Alucard had tons of moves plus secret effects and abilities for almost all his weapons and other equipment, it really made the game stand out that in later Castlevania titles they would simplify in gameplay.

Drawing parallels to Super Metroid, a another game that I love for the same reasons, in that Samus had loads of moves both known and hidden that made the game so unique and fun discovering and using them in situations plus like Sotn, its series gameplay would simplify also with many of the moves Samus uses never showed up in later games.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Yesterday I finished Dawn of Sorrow. The castle on this one is pretty damn big. It rubs me in the worst way though that they got rid of secret areas in this game. Why would you do that? It kinda confirms that it was a watered-down sequel to Aria in many ways. Also, fuck those magic seals.

Also, the grinding required to get some souls like Final Guard or even Bone Ark was fucking ridiculous. I made sure to have the Ghost Dancer soul to level 9 but it feel like it didn't matter. It still is a good game but it wasn't a great idea to replay it right after OoE.

Marz

Yesterday I finished Dawn of Sorrow. The castle on this one is pretty damn big. It rubs me in the worst way though that they got rid of secret areas in this game. Why would you do that? It kinda confirms that it was a watered-down sequel to Aria in many ways. Also, fuck those magic seals.

Also, the grinding required to get some souls like Final Guard or even Bone Ark was fucking ridiculous. I made sure to have the Ghost Dancer soul to level 9 but it feel like it didn't matter. It still is a good game but it wasn't a great idea to replay it right after OoE.

If you have Ghost Dancer to lvl.9 and equip the Soul Eater Ring and Lucky 7 armor, its not so bad.

Dawn of Sorrow really shines in Julius mode IMO. I agree the seals were a really bad idea and they're annoying.

I loved the castle though. Final boss was kind of whack.

Creaking

What? They did? I certainly don't remember that.

Wasn't the peeping eye in the game though? What else would it's soul give you?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
If you have Ghost Dancer to lvl.9 and equip the Soul Eater Ring and Lucky 7 armor, its not so bad.

Dawn of Sorrow really shines in Julius mode IMO. I agree the seals were a really bad idea and they're annoying.

I loved the castle though. Final boss was kind of whack.

Had all of that equipped except the Soul Eater Ring. I had the Rare Ring because I couldn't afford the latter. I agree though, the castle is massive and very well designed.

What? They did? I certainly don't remember that.

Wasn't the peeping eye in the game though? What else would it's soul give you?

Can't remember, maybe some stat boost as a enchanted soul.

Yea Dawn had secret rooms, I don't know if that's what he meant though.

If by secret rooms you mean the ones with the slot machine doors, sure. However, I play all CVs hitting the walls constantly. Never found a single crack.

Also, I started PoR. Doubt I will manage to finish it before school starts but I forgot how awesome the combat was in that game. It also suffers from a weak story and characters but so far I'm enjoying more than I expected.

Retro

The Peeping Eye soul in Dawn highlighted breakable walls, if I recall correctly.

Edit: GameFAQ's soul guide confirms.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The Peeping Eye soul in Dawn highlighted breakable walls, if I recall correctly.

Edit: GameFAQ's soul guide confirms.

112255.gif

WTF? I'm gonna go check a 100% castle map.

Marz

112255.gif

WTF? I'm gonna go check a 100% castle map.

Had all of that equipped except the Soul Eater Ring. I had the Rare Ring because I couldn't afford the latter. I agree though, the castle is massive and very well designed.

Can't remember, maybe some stat boost as a enchanted soul.

If by secret rooms you mean the ones with the slot machine doors, sure. However, I play all CVs hitting the walls constantly. Never found a single crack.

Also, I started PoR. Doubt I will manage to finish it before school starts but I forgot how awesome the combat was in that game. It also suffers from a weak story and characters but so far I'm enjoying more than I expected.

Yea it has about 5 or 6 secret walls, if anything DoS improved and expanded upon Aria in most ways.

Earl Grey

Banned
hello gaffers, since this is our safe haven for our beloved castlevania series, I wanted to show some of my castlevania collection that I have been gathering for years.

be warend though my collection is not complete, I'm still missing Dracula X on SNES and Legends on GBC mint condition, I'm still looking for a good deals on ebay

all the games on my collection is NA release, except for a few games like Vampire Killer for MSX, SOTN for Sega Saturn.

t9QN7hhl.jpg

yvemNDYl.jpg

PM3GTGql.jpg

f1KoXi0l.jpg

man, I wish I could get my hand on the Arcade cabinet version :(

so gaffers, how about sharing your own collection?

jaxword

It is rather strange that there isn't a gun among all those sub-weapons in Portrait of Ruin, though. The closest Jonathan had was a crossbow that shoots a stick of dynamite. But it doesn't make much sense that a member of the Morris family in the 20th century wouldn't be bringing at least a handgun when diving into the depths of Dracula's castle. Did IGA have a no-guns policy for Castlevania protagonists? The only gun-wielding main characters I am aware of were Nathan Graves from Circle of the Moon and Henry from Legacy of Darkness, and both of those games were struck from canon.

There is an obscure one:

llIc2mh.jpg

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
For someone whom is relatively new to this series, what game do you guy's reccomend? I own a PC, 3DS and Vita.

Played a chapter of Lords Of Shadow and enjoyed it quite a lot, but great scott. Dat shakecam. Extremely annoying. Not a fan of the QTE's either.

For someone whom is relatively new to this series, what game do you guy's reccomend? I own a PC, 3DS and Vita.

Played a chapter of Lords Of Shadow and enjoyed it quite a lot, but great scott. Dat shakecam. Extremely annoying. Not a fan of the QTE's either.

Get Symphony of the Night on PSN, arguably the best Metroidvania-type Castlevania game. If you liked that, you could try getting the DS games. I recommend Order of Ecclesia.

If you think you can stomach the QTEs and camera, LoS gets better the further you get. Also, Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate is out for 3DS, although an HD port will soon be released for ps3 and 360, and might come to PC as well. I would only recommend the 3DS game if you beat LoS1 and want more, though. You can download the demo from the eshop.

If you like 8-bit era games, the NES Castlevania is also available on 3DS, but avoid the Game Boy game, which is on the Virtual Console as well.

kunonabi

very nice collection earl. sadly most of my collection is digital these days. i do have the best music collection box though and i love it.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Get Symphony of the Night on PSN, arguably the best Metroidvania-type Castlevania game. If you liked that, you could try getting the DS games. I recommend Order of Ecclesia.

If you think you can stomach the QTEs and camera, LoS gets better the further you get. Also, Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate is out for 3DS, although an HD port will soon be released for ps3 and 360, and might come to PC as well. I would only recommend the 3DS game if you beat LoS1 and want more, though.

If you like 8-bit era games, the NES Castlevania is also available on 3DS, but avoid the Game Boy game, which is on the Virtual Console as well.
A big thanks for the reply! :)

also

Banned

Since you own a Vita you should just get Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles if you can. It's only 14,99$ on the US PSN but sadly it's absent from the EU one. It's an ugly but otherwise superior remake of Rondo of Blood (a highly regarded ''old school'' castlevania) and you can also unlock the original game and Symphony of the Night. This way you will be able to experience both main styles of 2D Castlevania games (old school and metroidvanias) and see which one you like.

I would say that Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia are much better games than Symphony of the Night (I really had to force myself to finish it) so you should definitely try them even if you dislike SotN. I especially recommend DoS as it has my favourite bonus mode out of all the metroidvanias.
It's too bad that you don't own a GBA or NDS because then you could play Aria of Sorrow, my favourite out of all the metroidvanias.

kogasu

Collection

Oh my..... it's beautiful. Great collection there!

My "collection", if you can call it that, is not even worthy of a picture. I got boxless Bloodlines and CV64 then SOTN, Dracula X Chronicles and then Virtual Console version of Rondo of Blood.

I've only played a lot of the others, I have yet to own any of them heh.

Raptor

Will start SoTN tonight fresh, havent played in yeaaaars this game that I can't even remember anything.

Any tips?

Retro

Will start SoTN tonight fresh, havent played in yeaaaars this game that I can't even remember anything.

Any tips?

Enter your name as X-X!V ' ' Q, get all the sub weapons in the Prologue and let Dracula beat your ass to pulp. You start with like, 25 HP and bare minimum stats. That will make the game difficult for the first... half hour or so... after you get the Basilard things even back out a bit, but still not as easy as default. The Lapis Lazuli you start with will give you a lot of crits and better drops, so eventually you'll be back to regular easy mode, but for a while at least you'll have to be careful.

It's starting to cool off a little here, which means Autumn is coming and it'll be time for my yearly playthru too.

Top Bottom