• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

I haven't read anything about multiple DLCs, but one was discovered via the file name of a music track in the game files:
Alucard DLC

Alucard
DLC, apparently.

Holy moly!

Can't wait to play another character. I hope the DLC is going to be more fleshed out then what we got in the first game. I'm so in for this.

Probably more sneaking

I hope not. lol

Maybe covered already but where the hell is the remote save game location for the game on Steam? I want to start over and I've deleted the local storage on under user/documents but it keeps fucking loading me where I was.

Removing the option for new game for the sake of a pretty menu just pisses me off.:(

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it. Steam>Userdata>xxxxx>239250 is the folder number.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Really lovin the game, I hope Konami continue this series style but with Dracula/Gabriel being the baddy now his story is told, and introduce a new ascendant
Hopefully they don't back to those god awful dated 2d metriodvania type and put the series back in its coffin like it was before LOS if MS don't continue developing them.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am loving the game. I loved LOS1, and though so far I can't say this is a superior game I am enjoying it. Music is superior. Graphics are superior (PC gaming brah! :p) and the combat is vastly more refined. I also like the more focused story so far though I dislike the stealth segments in general. I just stopped playing after
Carmilla's little hide and seek game
and I must say I enjoyed the modern day segment before that and the story cutscenes. The modern setting is a bit plain in some areas and good in others, so I am neutral to it. So far enjoying the game.

Maedhros

Really lovin the game, I hope Konami continue this series style but with Dracula/Gabriel being the baddy now his story is told, and introduce a new ascendant
Hopefully they don't back to those god awful dated 2d metriodvania type and put the series back in its coffin like it was before LOS if MS don't continue developing them.

Yeah, they should continue making these godawnful 3D games instead.

cormack12

Gold Member
Continued a bit more with it and I'm really not feeling it GAF. I am sad. I was hyped for this. It reminds me of Darksiders with a nicer art style. I think I just loved the settings much more in LoS1 and the fantasy felt more alive with Pan etc. This is some weird sci-fi, futuristic mash up.

I think I'm only about four hours in, just had the first encounter with those
green soldier armoured things that can fly
, hope it gets better. Out of the mini boss things, that fight with
Medusa
was quite cool.

Courage

Yeah, this game is a piece of shit. The stealth sections are terrible, the combat is more of the same with the addition of two useless weapons, the modern city sections are uninspired.

I actually thought it was decent, maybe even good at times, but it's slowly getting on my nerves.

butman

Maaan what a waste of gorgeous graphics.

The game started gloriously with Dracula on his throne waiting for the order invation, then the fight with the "golden winged warrior" great to, and the climbing part of the colossal machine decent too.
But it's it becomes to a lame cheap game just when the modern part begins.

What the fuck is this system? Assassins Creed? Move between present (Abstergo shit) and past? And the present part are pure crap, the past one too. Now i'm on the medusa part and the stage are horrid, and the wolf portal is there like you can return to present. It's so confusing an repetitive.

It's like the prologue was made by Mercury Steam and the rest of the game by Gameloft.

jett

D-Member
Maaan what a waste of gorgeous graphics.

The game started gloriously with Dracula on his throne waiting for the order invation, then the fight with the "golden winged warrior" great to, and the climbing part of the colossal machine decent too.
But it's it becomes to a lame cheap game just when the modern part begins.

What the fuck is this system? Assassins Creed? Move between present (Abstergo shit) and past? And the present part are pure crap, the past one too. Now i'm on the medusa part and the stage are horrid, and the wolf portal is there like you can return to present. It's so confusing an repetitive.

It's like the prologue was made by Mercury Steam and the rest of the game by Gameloft.

This game is just filled with bad decisions. After the Medusa fight I've stopped and I'm not all that compelled to continue either. So tired of big but stationary boss fights, hope there aren't many more of those. It's really disappointing. So far the best thing about LOS2 was the CGI trailer from two years ago.

Peff

This game is just filled with bad decisions. After the Medusa fight I've stopped and I'm not all that compelled to continue either. So tired of big but stationary boss fights, hope there aren't many more of those. It's really disappointing. So far the best thing about LOS2 was the CGI trailer from two years ago.

You have to give them credit, though, it's kind of hilarious how effective the game is at undermining what little momentum it manages to create. The castle/modern day switches are incredibly jarring, and it's really easy to lose track of what Gabriel is supposed to be working towards to. Gameplay-wise too, you often go from the modern day finally starting to ramp up to light platforming with nothing going on, then a boss and new weapon to a stealth section. I wonder what the game would have been like if it were just the castle, basically reverse-SotN. PC version looks GORGEOUS, though, and Patrick Stewart sounds like he's trying a little at last, haha.

jett

D-Member
You have to give them credit, though, it's kind of hilarious how effective the game is at undermining what little momentum it manages to create. The castle/modern day switches are incredibly jarring, and it's really easy to lose track of what Gabriel is supposed to be working towards to. Gameplay-wise too, you often go from the modern day finally starting to ramp up to light platforming with nothing going on, then a boss and new weapon to a stealth section. I wonder what the game would have been like if it were just the castle, basically reverse-SotN. PC version looks GORGEOUS, though, and Patrick Stewart sounds like he's trying a little at last, haha.

I actually forgot he was in the game. :p After LOS1, that's a good thing.

How far into the game is Medusa? I just fought her

Surprised you guys are souring at the Medusa fight. I'm really liking the combat (seems like it gets more interesting quicker than LoS1 did). And the stealth sections have been so inoffensive and short so far. Would be nice if they just didn't have them at all or got rid of the long startup animation for them, but they are not killing the game for me. And the indicators on the map makes it pretty easy just to take a beeline to your next objective without getting lost/forgetting what you need to do.

Peff

And the stealth sections have been so inoffensive and short so far.

Well, that's kind of the problem :p It they are so simple that they might as well not be there (which they are) then they probably shouldn't be there, especially in an action game. But yeah, at least for me it's more of an issue of that "... oh, again" than them being broken so far.

And the indicators on the map makes it pretty easy just to take a beeline to your next objective without getting lost/forgetting what you need to do

Oh, that's not what I meant, it's that in four/five hours
all you actually manage to do is capture a lesser demon and then you seem to spend more hours looking for that antidote. I imagine this will be less of a problem in the latter half of the game.

TGO

Yeah, they should continue making these godawnful 3D games instead.
One can hope, I don't mind a few PSN 2d Castlevanias here and there but this is the way forward for the series
By all means if Iga can make a better Lords of Shadow then so be it, but MS has put the series on the right path.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
LoS1 was one of my favorites... But it really didn't get great till almost half way in. I'm approaching the Medusa fight now in LoS2 and if I compared the two games, up to this point I'd probably say LoS2 is better.

TentPole

LoS1 was one of my favorites... But it really didn't get great till almost half way in. I'm approaching the Medusa fight now in LoS2 and if I compared the two games, up to this point I'd probably say LoS2 is better.

I am nearing the end and have found this to be substantially better game than the first.

cormack12

Gold Member
There's a good game under the hood, but it's just been stitched together horribly. It seems half the game so far I'm watching a rat transition, a pain box, a map form or opening a door and they've already got too repetitive.

The bigger enemies just use range as a defense, which means you're just basically using dodge constantly. Also a lot of enemies require two dodges to get out the attack range properly. As a result I find the shoulder barge way OP for the smaller mobs.

I don't feel like I'm making progress towards any major goal. I'm just running round trying to recover powers but the pacing is so off key, there is no sense of urgency or doom as professed.

Also, some little things pull me out the game as well. No footsteps in the puddles for example, or invisi-barriers on fountains or on a tiny piece of wood as a rat. Just adds extra effort and tedium in a game already filled with it.

Really disappointed so far :(

Maedhros

One can hope, I don't mind a few PSN 2d Castlevanias here and there but this is the way forward for the series
By all means if Iga can make a better Lords of Shadow then so be it, but MS has put the series on the right path.

I'll just say that I hope you're wrong. IF not... well, no loss, LoS already almost made me not care about the series anyway, I like other games now much more than I used to like Castlevania.

Foffy

Banned

They put themselves in a hole in terms of narrative..and not just the four or five major plot issues the game has on its own!

Unlike IGA, they've essentially cemented that between the events of Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2 that nothing of note can happen. The only that can be done is
presumably set after LoS2, which means it will be modern, lifeless shit, and LoS2 already shows why this is a terrible fucking idea.

I'd rather they put out the DLC and kill this subseries off entirely. As a whole, this has been a disappointing series of games that isn't even 1/8th of the grandness of Classicvania or even Metroidvania. In fact, it has more or less cratered after the first game, which was really only good for one-third of it. Anything that has been good since the first game can almost be attributed to fluke, because so much isn't good.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
There's a good game under the hood, but it's just been stitched together horribly. It seems half the game so far I'm watching a rat transition, a pain box, a map form or opening a door and they've already got too repetitive.

The bigger enemies just use range as a defense, which means you're just basically using dodge constantly. Also a lot of enemies require two dodges to get out the attack range properly. As a result I find the shoulder barge way OP for the smaller mobs.

I don't feel like I'm making progress towards any major goal. I'm just running round trying to recover powers but the pacing is so off key, there is no sense of urgency or doom as professed.

Also, some little things pull me out the game as well. No footsteps in the puddles for example, or invisi-barriers on fountains or on a tiny piece of wood as a rat. Just adds extra effort and tedium in a game already filled with it.

Really disappointed so far :(

What major goal are you expecting?

This game is Dracula's tale, it's a personal journey where all he wants is rest. And the way for him to end his curse of immortality; and to do that, he cut a deal with Death to help him stop Satan from returning.

That's it, really. I for one like that it's not yet another globe trotting adventure to save the universe... It's all just a means to an end for Gabriel to finally find some measure of peace.

Most of the game is an internalization of him struggling with his own demons (the flashbacks of him in the castle being led by the son he never had, fighting his own dark blood - which really just his guilt manifesting as a form ofn"curroption" among his former minions that he has to defeat in order to forgive himself of his past sins due to the death he caused after initially killing Trevor and raging out against humanity.)

ironcreed

Banned
Decided to go ahead and keep going today. It's nice to see the environment looking a bit more Lords of Shadowish around Agreus, but damn, this part is bullshit. Just let me fight the guy.

TGO

They put themselves in a hole in terms of narrative..and not just the four or five major plot issues the game has on its own!

Unlike IGA, they've essentially cemented that between the events of Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2 that nothing of note can happen. The only that can be done is
presumably set after LoS2, which means it will be modern, lifeless shit, and LoS2 already shows why this is a terrible fucking idea.

I'd rather they put out the DLC and kill this subseries off entirely. As a whole, this has been a disappointing series of games that isn't even 1/8th of the grandness of Classicvania or even Metroidvania. In fact, it has more or less cratered after the first game, which was really only good for one-third of it. Anything that has been good since the first game can almost be attributed to fluke, because so much isn't good.
Shame, love to see SOTN done like this, the series just dried up like Dracula at the beginning of LOS2, and since no one at konami knew what to do until MS made
LOS, shame people have too much love for the old series and so much hate for this, especially when the series has degraded so much over the years, its also laughable to hear them mention bad story like ClassicVania was any better lol
And ClassicVania was making up the story as it went on, and had more pot holes then Bryan Adams face ;-/
How many Belmonts are in the original story? Really?
And I think you missed what I mean by continue, I mean direction
Anyway, Just beat Carmilla, I really wish MS made this for nextgen, the castle does looks really stunning even on PS3.

Maedhros

Shame, love to see SOTN done like this, the series just dried up like Dracula at the beginning of LOS2, and since no one at konami knew what to do until MS made
LOS, shame people have too much love for the old series and so much hate for this, especially when the series has degraded so much over the years, its also laughable to hear them mention bad story like ClassicVania was any better lol
And ClassicVania was making up the story as it went on, and had more pot holes then Bryan Adams face ;-/
Anyway, Just beat Carmilla, I really wish MS made this for nextgen, the castle does looks really stunning even on PS3.

The original story being bad doesn't make this good, vice-versa. It's just as bad, if not worse and cliche as fuck.

How many Belmonts? Simon, Trevor, Cristopher, Leon, Richter, Julius... am I forgetting someone?

Klyka

Banned
Just beat the game.

Really great fun, a little less "epic journey" than the first game but I really enjoyed the bosses and the fights on the harder difficulty could be quite brutal.

Glad I picked it up, looking forward to DLC.

Foffy

Banned

The story in the older games, while far more primitive, wasn't as bad as the LoS series. Making a Belmont be Dracula is something I would seriously imagine someone on Deviantart doing for fanfiction. To believe this nonsense made it into a game is baffling. It gets worse when the central villain of the series isn't even the central villain for two of the three games in this subseries. It sincerely bothers me to know that this sort of stuff will be certain fans' experience with Castlevania for the first time, and they will have been given a very distorted perspective of what it was really about.

Regarding direction, I still can't fully concur. LoS2's highlights are just the castle, which at best is 40% of the game. That still makes the remaining 60% of it mediocre. And for an open world-ish game, it sure feels painfully linear still.

Jito

Banned
Just finished this, enjoyed the game up until the end. Felt like
there was no build up to the ending and it just kinda came out of nowhere, I thought I was only half way into the game. And what the hell was that ending cutscene? Is there one after the credits or was that cutscene the big finale to the series?

Also the open world aspect felt really tacked on, there was no real reason for it to be a feature in the game as it was really linear anyway. Never felt like I was exploring the environments, just heading to the next waypoint while looking out for collectibles.

Edit:
Also why didn't the first lord of shadow make an appearance at all in this game while Camilla and Zobek got major roles? Unless I just missed him somehow.

The story in the older games, while far more primitive, wasn't as bad as the LoS series. Making a Belmont be Dracula is something I would seriously imagine someone on Deviantart doing for fanfiction. To believe this nonsense made it into a game is baffling. It gets worse when the central villain of the series isn't even the central villain for two of the three games in this subseries. It sincerely bothers me to know that this sort of stuff will be certain fans' experience with Castlevania for the first time, and they will have been given a very distorted perspective of what it was really about.

Regarding direction, I still can't fully concur. LoS2's highlights are just the castle, which at best is 40% of the game. That still makes the remaining 60% of it mediocre. And for an open world-ish game, it sure feels painfully linear still.

Why is making a Belmont Dracula bad, other than the fact that that wasn't the case in the old series? What about it is bad writing?

ironcreed

Banned
Alright, just got Past the Agreus bullshit and beat him. Pretty fun once I got to actually fight him. About the only positive thing I can take away from this game so far are the boss battles. Everything else feels like a muddled mess.

Voror

Ended up wandering back into the main mission while using a Dodo egg to find secrets but am unsure how to do this next stealth section which has
three Golgoth Guards. I'm thinking that Mist is the key to get around the one by the bars. But I don't think I have enough time. Would possessing one on the wandering guards to get to the other side and going mist from there be the key.

Ended up wandering back into the main mission while using a Dodo egg to find secrets but am unsure how to do this next stealth section which has
three Golgoth Guards. I'm thinking that Mist is the key to get around the one by the bars. But I don't think I have enough time. Would possessing one on the wandering guards to get to the other side and going mist from there be the key.
It's the key. You'd be surprised how short of a visual rage he has.

TGO

Well the whole Belmont becoming Dracula isn't a bad idea, it was actually brilliant
The making him the main character is also genius,it connects the player to him
Him being a Belmont gives even more motive for the Belmonts then the previous games, not letting the war across the bloodline continue in future games is dumb
Yeah I completely agree if thats the case, but still I rather the series continue like this and get better until people don't have anything to complain about
Instead of having another
Castlevania_Judgement.jpg

Why is making a Belmont Dracula bad, other than the fact that that wasn't the case in the old series? What about it is bad writing?
Its not bad, like I said it was a brilliant idea.

ironcreed

Banned
It's funny. I figured going after the mirror fragments would feel like awful filler, but it is oddly the best section of the game so far... easily.

Top Bottom