• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

Levyne

Banned
Well Dracula turning into rats is nothing new, just wish they would have thought of some other way to implement it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I wonder what will happen with the DLC content. Hopefully no stealth and all Castle based. Also add some puzzles.

Well Dracula turning into rats is nothing new, just wish they would have thought of some other way to implement it.
Tbh it would have been simple to say Gabriel doesnt fit into this area so he needs to get into rat form in order to get through the area and interact on the way so it doesnt become entirely useless after getting mist form. Also multiple paths wouldnt hurt in a few areas and make it a maze/puzzle.

Okay I know I'm being completely oblivious here, but what do I do at the second stealth section? Where you chew the wire and call In the technician. I call him and possess him, but don't know where to go after that

Okay I know I'm being completely oblivious here, but what do I do at the second stealth section? Where you chew the wire and call In the technician. I call him and possess him, but don't know where to go after that

You press a button to the right side of the door he's operating on I believe.

Vazra

This game needs a mod to remove cutscenes, change the shotgun wielders and the big roboy of the city for Castle enemies and I'll be happier.

Ohh and let me fight the stealth baddies.

God damn, I'm stuck again

I just fought the boss that runs at you and gets his head stuck in a wall, and he kicks his minions at you like soccer balls. So now I am outside in some sort of lava area, and there is a wolf warp area too. I can see, in the lava area, where the arrow says to go, but I can't get there yet. So I warp back to the real world, but that doesn't give me any clues, the waypoint just says to go back to the warp point so I go back to lava world. There is one section in this lava area that has a grapple point, but it's too far away for me to reach. I assume I can't get there yet.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Yuterald

Yeah, the proportions/scale of things seem really off. The car stuff was noticeable right off the bat, but it also feels off in other places. I'm in some downtown building areas and there are these asylum-like doors that tower over Dracula. The sliding peep/eye hole thing is like way above your eye level, it's like giants lived on earth after the time of Dracula, lol!

With that said, I really do like the game so far. I just got the Chaos Claws and the boss fight that accompanied that power/upgrade was top class stuff. LOVED the camera angles during the "takedowns". It still feels like a Blood Omen 2-era game, or rather, when stuff like the Matrix was cool. It's trapped in some weird post Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver world that's hard to describe. I personally like the fact that it reminds me of a PS2/GC/Xbox-one era game (as far as the structure/game design goes), but I could see why this turned off people. I also don't think it has as much of a "wow" factor as the original, but that could be because the first Lords of Shadow was such a departure/"upgrade" to how I've known/seen Castlevania up to that point in my life, so I don't know what to think.

Oh, and the
map/warp room
was downright one of the coolest ways to present something so common in games that are typically found in menus. Blew me away, honestly. Love that literal craftsmanship that MercurySteam has put into these games.

I just have to say that the Dark Dracula pre-order costume is pretty badass.

It doesn't do anything special, but it looks cool as hell. And since the cutscenes are real time, it shows during them as well.

Maedhros

Yeah. The ending was very anti-climactic, and the final boss encounter is huge, yet it just kind of comes out of nowhere.

The biggest disappointment I would have with this game is if LOS3 doesn't happen; I think this is a good game, in some instances fantastic, but that was no way to close out this storyline.

LoS 3 won't happen. God, it CAN'T happen, with the shitty ending they gave here. Fuck LoS, seriously, what a shitty storyline this is.

They should reboot again.

butman

Just replayed LoS 1 on PC.

Now i'm on pause. Should i need to play Mirror of Fate, or goes directly to LoS 2?

Vazra

I just fought the boss that runs at you and gets his head stuck in a wall, and he kicks his minions at you like soccer balls. So now I am outside in some sort of lava area, and there is a wolf warp area too. I can see, in the lava area, where the arrow says to go, but I can't get there yet. So I warp back to the real world, but that doesn't give me any clues, the waypoint just says to go back to the warp point so I go back to lava world. There is one section in this lava area that has a grapple point, but it's too far away for me to reach. I assume I can't get there yet.

Jump to the big chains.

Levyne

Banned
Just replayed LoS 1 on PC.

Now i'm on pause. Should i need to play Mirror of Fate, or goes directly to LoS 2?

You don't need to play MoF, the game has a (somewhat long) cutscene that explains the important bits.

Though, to be honest, playing this has made me want to pick it up on PSN.

butman

You don't need to play MoF, the game has a (somewhat long) cutscene that explains the important bits.

Though, to be honest, playing this has made me want to pick it up on PSN.

So it will be enought to see MoF The Movie on youtube?

Varg

Banned
bought it today after completing the LOS1 on pc (epic fucking game btw). So far so good. Really digging the atmosphere and story so far. Combat feels more fluid overall. Can dash in mid air now which could have been ALOT helpful against the final boss of the first. Overall so far I give it an 8/10. Not too far in though, maybe two hours.

eshwaaz

I got stuck at that same part. The game holds your hand and points out the most obvious things the vast majority of the time, so the few times it doesn't can actually cause confusion.

Levyne

Banned
Alright, challenges done. Who the hell knows for Lore....I also wonder what exactly the additional 10% is for 110%. I assume it is somehow related to NG+ and/or the hardest difficulty.

ZeroX03

Banned
Alright, challenges done. Who the hell knows for Lore....I also wonder what exactly the additional 10% is for 110%. I assume it is somehow related to NG+ and/or the hardest difficulty.

You've got to replay all the challenges for NG+, and Lore comes from soldier corpses and the monuments in the walls.

Your challenge progress carries over from your original game though, so I'm not sure how it works exactly.

Vazra

This game is like a bootleg sequel to the first one. Super disappointed with the level design, story, bosses, etc
I think making the world open/sandbox and letting you control the camera affected part of the charm on areas. LoS1 was designed with those camera perspective which limits the view for what you should be looking in terms of direction and combat(sometimes failing to do so) with a pretty perspective and also hides any lazy level design by not letting you control it. Level design was linear but prettier definitely.

Camp Lo

Banned
Does new game+ allow you to keep all the powers? There's no way i'm going to backtrack through the whole game looking for areas that I missed the first time.

Nope. Refunds your points spent, lets you keep all the collectibles you found. Powers would ruin the game but it also makes NG+ fucking pointless. I quit at
the electric chick
; I'm not going through that again.

tumblr_mc7ffkMW4A1rrlbkp.gif

LoS 3 won't happen. God, it CAN'T happen, with the shitty ending they gave here. Fuck LoS, seriously, what a shitty storyline this is.

They should reboot again.

Sure it can happen. The ending to LOS2 was only "bad" to me because
it didn't really resolve anything after they said it would end the story, but it didn't,
, so I would like to see more.

I also disagree that the story is shitty. It at least has good characters, good voice acting, and legitimately cool twists. In terms of videogames, that's a cut above a lot of them.

Also holy shit at the first acolyte fight on Prince of Darkness. I came close to beating it twice, but both times I was offed by that super cheap purple double wave attack. Fuck that attack.

Shinta

Banned
Well, it finally happened. The whole game just "clicked," and now I get it.

I love the modern setting, the combat, all of it.

It's even better on the second playthrough. Once the hype is distilled and you know what to expect and know how to glide through the stealth segments, it's a lot more enjoyable.

And yeah the combat is fantastic. This game has some of the best combat mechanics and boss fights.

jett

D-Member
Man this game is intensely repetitive. Not only are you always backtracking but "new" areas you encounter have the entire layout and textures copied from another. What is this? This game also has the most obvious loading zones I've seen yet, talk about lacking subtlety, might as well shove in there a black screen with a NOW LOADING sign. They should've just made a linear game. I've been playing for about 4-5 hours. Am I ever going to stop going to that stupid lab? The Castle isn't particularly appealing either, it's just a jumbled mess of imagery. I certainly don't feel like I'm running through an actual castle. So far everything regarding pacing, progression and plot is just wrong. Not just bad, but flat out wrong. Dracula is pretty much Sobek's bitch. What the fuck, man? Just give this franchise back to IGA, I'd rather endure an eternity of IGAvanias over MercurySteam's notions of what Castlevania should be. At least this is the last one.

Combat at least is as solid as it was in LOS1, and the game runs much better than the first one did, then again I don't think it looks as good either, something about the visuals is lacking. I do suffer some odd random stuttering, similar to Arkham City before it was patched out.

Shinta

Banned
It's even better on the second playthrough. Once the hype is distilled and you know what to expect and know how to glide through the stealth segments, it's a lot more enjoyable.

And yeah the combat is fantastic. This game has some of the best combat mechanics and boss fights.

Yeah, I'm just tearing through those jetpack guys like they're nothing now, shotgun guys are nothing, blocking all the hits, keeping focus going, then ending with a blood drain. It's a really, really awesome combat system once you get a handle on the new enemy types.

I do wish the whip had more new moves, but oh well.

How long are we talking for playtime here? I just fought the boss that
kicks minions at you and gets his head stuck into walls
. What's that, about 20%?

Miguel81

Man this game is intensely repetitive. Not only are you always backtracking but "new" areas you encounter have the entire layout and textures copied from another. What is this? This game also has the most obvious loading zones I've seen yet, talk about lacking subtlety, might as well shove in there a black screen with a NOW LOADING sign. They should've just made a linear game. I've been playing for about 4-5 hours. Am I ever going to stop going to that stupid lab? The Castle isn't particularly appealing either, it's just a jumbled mess of imagery. I certainly don't feel like I'm running through an actual castle. So far everything regarding pacing, progression and plot is just wrong. Not just bad, but flat out wrong. Dracula is pretty much Sobek's bitch. What the fuck, man? Just give this franchise back to IGA, I'd rather endure an eternity of IGAvanias over MercurySteam's notions of what Castlevania should be. At least this is the last one.

Combat at least is as solid as it was in LOS1, and the game runs much better than the first one did, then again I don't think it looks as good either, something about the visuals is lacking. I do suffer some odd random stuttering, similar to Arkham City before it was patched out.

Do you think it deserves the 4/5 out of 10 scores?

I think I'm approaching the endgame here, with the toymaker done and dusted. This thing has its moments, but man its...its just a really sloppy video game in so many aspects. I can't give it a higher than a 6/10, I wouldn't call it "good", despite every now and again it really does come alive and its very good(usually in a boss encounter or a particularly inspired enemy encounter). But so much of this is...IDK, I'm gonna have to write something lengthier down after this is done and thought about the experience as a whole.

Yeah, I'm just tearing through those jetpack guys like they're nothing now, shotgun guys are nothing, blocking all the hits, keeping focus going, then ending with a blood drain. It's a really, really awesome combat system once you get a handle on the new enemy types.

I do wish the whip had more new moves, but oh well.

My new favorite thing ever is having something shoot at me, letting it pass through me in mist form and it blowing some asshole behind us away. I feel like I'm fucking Nightcrawler just bamfing around like a badass.

Game was a lot shorter than I was expecting, took me about 15 hours and that included multiple treks back to the castle to get pain boxes and the like. Lords of Shadow difficulty as well.

In any case, I enjoyed the game and the combat/bosses were stellar but I can't help but feel it doesn't compare to the first game which had an incredible sense of scale and felt like a massive journey taken by the end. Having finished the game I didn't really feel any sense of a real conclusion to the series, and certainly not like I'd taken some great journey. Some of the modern segments worked fine but they just didn't have the same artistic attention to detail as the rest of the game and felt out of place for it. The idea of blending the old timey elements with a modern day, Gothic city was a brilliant one and it's a shame it wasn't executed to the full potential. Never the less, game had enough great bosses and moments to make it a good one in my mind, but the missed potential is clear.

Did like all the description's of Dracula's reign of terror, and the minions within the castle were all brilliant. But a lot of those things were so horrifying in nature that Dracula's
redemption arc
fell a bit flat for me.

jett

D-Member
Do you think is deserves the 4/5 out of 10 scores?

I can't say until I finish it. The Gamespot review mentioned that the game takes a massive upswing in the second half, so we'll see. Right now I'm not really liking what I'm playing.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - shit reviews and Loving It!

After 13 hours in i'm feeling that the negative points are ludicrously overblown.. this is the best action game i've played in long time

That library trial in the first game where you have to do the mirror puzzle in like 2-3 minutes...

...fuck

The issue I have with these challenges/trials is that they exploit all the problems that players have in the game, and make them even more annoying. Which in turn means that they know how annoying certain obstacles/enemies are in the game, yet they increase their rage inducing factor ten-fold just because.

They're not challenging, they're not fun, they're just fucking annoying.

I mean what kind of cunt would design something with that kind of mentality? Simply baffling.

Miguel81

I can't say until I finish it. The Gamespot review mentioned that the game takes a massive upswing in the second half, so we'll see. Right now I'm not really liking what I'm playing.

Let us know when you finish. I like reading general opinions about games that are polarizing.

It's funny, I'm still early on in the game but I feel this way just playing through it my first time. I know I'm in the extreme minority here but I like the modern stuff. Yeah it's simply in design and can look just alright, but I feel its a good contrast to the castle stuff. Plus the idea of this city being build around the original castle and the things going on in this world, it just feels like a bleak place that's fucked. If that makes any sense. I don't doubt why people dislike it, but it does not bother me in the slightest. My biggest issue is still the whole "I'm dracula and I'm sneaking around thing" It just doesn't make much common sense seeing as who your playing as and instead just feels like a forced "This is variation" mechanic.

Also whoever said the boss battles feel worse then the first... Really?

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - shit reviews and Loving It!

After 13 hours in i'm feeling that the negative points are ludicrously overblown.. this is the best action game i've played in long time

From the time i posted this comment and the time i completed Agreus and his puzzle it took me 13 minutes. Did players really struggle with this?
Someone, anyone list me all the things that were difficult with this fight / puzzle, or did people really forget about the mist form?

It's funny, I'm still early on in the game but I feel this way just playing through it my first time. I know I'm in the extreme minority here but I like the modern stuff. Yeah it's simply in design and can look just alright, but I feel its a good contrast to the castle stuff. Plus the idea of this city being build around the original castle and the things going on in this world, it just feels like a bleak place that's fucked. If that makes any sense.

I actually really like the exteriors of the modern setting; a lot of the vistas are just as beautiful and grand as the castle itself. Sure some of the generic industrial interiors are kind of bleh, but like you, they don't bother me. I'm mostly indifferent to it.

Despite that I do think the open world was a missed opportunity. I do agree with jett and some others that there is a sense of jumbled level design; it could have been far more coherent.

Top Bottom