• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| (JP/Import): Love Isn't Over Yet

Volcynika

catherine-1.png

beta5.png

ps3box.jpg
xboxbox.jpg

beta6.png

Catherine is Atlus' first HD title, built from the ground up on the Gamebryo engine; notable for powering The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, among others.

While the game is called Catherine, the main character is actually a 32-year-old salaryman named Vincent (voiced by Koichi Yamadera; Spike, Cowboy Bebop).

Catherine (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro; Elizabeth & Chidori in Persona 3 JP) is a stylish 22-year-old with the charms of a young girl who seduces him into a one-night stand.

However, Vincent has another woman in his life; his long-term girlfriend named Katherine(voiced by Kotono Mitsuishi[Sailor Moon, Misato Katsuragi, Excel, many many others].

Not long after meeting Catherine, Vincent begins having nightmares of falling to his death, and being pursued by demonic creatures.

Rumors are spreading of those who cheat on their girls having the same dreams, and turning up dead in the morning.

The nightmare segments are essential giant puzzle games. Vincent has to reach the tower before he falls to his death; or worse, something drags him screaming to it.

If he doesn't escape the nightmare, he'll be found dead in the morning.

In the days between, Vincent will have to manage his relationship between the two -atherines, in between hanging out with his friends at the Stray Sheep bar.

Will Vincent choose Katherine or Catherine? Or even survive to make a decision?

The nightmares become reality in seven days.

beta.png

beta2.png

1.jpg

Vincent: The Protagonist. A 32-year old salaryman with no ambition in work or love.

2.jpg

Katherine, Vincent's long-term girlfriend. Knows more about Vincent than anyone, and expects him to start committing to their relationship, and soon.

3.jpg

Catherine, a young girl whom seduces Vincent into a one-night stand. Enjoys her free-will, and has no plans to marry or be stuck with one man for any length of time.

4.jpg

Jonathan, one of Vincent's friends. A bachelor who moves from one girl to the next. Will not marry until he meets 'the one'.

5.jpg

Tobey, another of Vincent's friends. A laid-back mechanic with a crush on Erica.

6.jpg

Orlando, the last of Vincent's friends. Likes to drink.

7.jpg

Erica, a 32-year-old waitress at the Stray Sheep; Vincent's favorite hangout.

8.jpg

Master, the bartender and owner of the Stray Sheep.

beta3.png

SlTnA.jpg

W74Il.jpg

XLHOg.jpg

iy7e7.jpg

z2TKM.jpg

F3kKt.jpg

Oxk0t.jpg

3d1UU.jpg

qGk9M.jpg

E1Jw9.jpg

Music by Shoji Meguro (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Strange Journey, Persona 3 & 4, Raidou Kuzunoha, etc.)

Directed by Katsura Hoshino(Persona 4)

Character design by Shigenori Soejima(Persona 3 & 4, Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity).

Release date: February 17th (JP), ??? (everywhere else).

The PS3 version will be region free, the 360 version is supposedly region-locked.

It is as yet unknown whether those who import will receive the artbook/OST combo:

4437_76805_small.jpg

cpb03.jpg

but let's positive thinking.

Then again, there's hope for the US... perhaps.

happyvday.jpg

Preorder links:

http://www.play-asia.com/Catherine/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-40im.html (PS3)

http://www.play-asia.com/Catherine/paOS-13-71-br-49-en-70-40in.html (360)

The Asian version is $5 less, but will not contain English subtitles.

The gameplay segments will be somewhat import friendly, as most of the commands are displayed in English.

The cellphone texting elements... not so much.

DISCLAIMER **This thread is work done entirely by cj_iwakura who can't post threads as he is a Junior Member. Direct any and all complaints his way! :p**

cj_iwakura

I've bought enough Atlus titles twice.

No way in hell would I not be buying this again for the US release.

Don't let me down, Irvine!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Oh shit, I didn't know there were preorder bonuses outside of the retailer specific phonecards. Play-asia better deliver the goods!

By the way, great work on the op, cj.

Ok, I have always wanted to know how to tell when ordering from play asia if the game will have english subtitles? I don't see it anywhere on the page? Which is link for the PS3 version for english subtitles so I can order it.

cj_iwakura

As much as I'd kill for those phonecards, I'll be happy just to get the artbook and OST.

I think we'll have to be realistic: this is probably a summer 2011 release for the US, if they deliver the localization quality this game deserves. It's gonna take one hell of a dub cast to top this game's voice over. (I love Atlus' dub work, but they're up against god-tier talent here.)

cj_iwakura

Suburban_Nooblet said:
Ok, I have always wanted to know how to tell when ordering from play asia if the game will have english subtitles? I don't see it anywhere on the page? Which is link for the PS3 version for english subtitles so I can order it.

I emailed them and asked. None of them have English subs, aside from the in-game content all over the menus.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
lack of Western release date STILL is worrisome

cj_iwakura

DJmizuhara said:
I'll be live-streaming Catherine on the PS3 on Thursday at 7pm JST, we'll also provide live on the live translations.

www.justin.tv/redsungamer

We also live-streamed and translated the demo too. http://www.youtube.com/user/RedSunGamer?feature=mhum

Well, I guess you guys will have me beat. I won't have the game until like a week later.

I also livestreamed the demo, but without translation, though I got the gist of what's going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVvrqib53b0

And really, besides the texting(as I put in the OP), this game will be very import friendly to play. Almost all the menus and stuff are in English.

Aside from power-ups, I guess.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I was going to import this, but I just put down $100 for DNF Balls of Steel and a 3DS, so I'll wait for the domestic release.

cj_iwakura

Also, if I remember correctly, Master is voiced by
Vicious' VA from Cowboy Bebop.

So both Spike AND Vicious are in this.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Volcynika said:
Atlus USA rarely announces localization dates before the JP release happens. So I guess a lot of the time its worrisome. :p
oh. the only Atlus developed games I have played are P3 and 4, and both were played in the latter half of last year. This is my first big Atlus game I'm actively looking forward to, so forgive me. :p

Volcynika

Rez said:
oh. the only Atlus developed games I have played are P3 and 4, and both were played in the latter half of last year. This is my first big Atlus game I'm actively looking forward to, so forgive me. :p

Calm down, Rez! IT'LL BE OK!

:p It's fine, I'm used to seeing responses like that in every Catherine thread. It's only appropriate!

cj_iwakura said:
As much as I'd kill for those phonecards, I'll be happy just to get the artbook and OST.

I think we'll have to be realistic: this is probably a summer 2011 release for the US, if they deliver the localization quality this game deserves. It's gonna take one hell of a dub cast to top this game's voice over. (I love Atlus' dub work, but they're up against god-tier talent here.)

They'd better keep the Japanese VA in!

Clott

Finally a place I can ask the question!

I just beat P4 a few weeks ago and have been blown away by the game, it was my first atlus rpg. I guess demon souls dose not count. I now want to go back and discover some of the stuff I missed. I won't be getting P3P yet so I don't get tired of the persona formula.

I don't like dungeon crawlers, so I know some of their games aren't for me, but I heard nocturne was story focused, or was that the digital devil saga? Any suggestions?

Clott said:

I just beat P4 a few weeks ago and have been blown away by the game, it was my first atlus rpg. I guess demon souls dose not count. I now want to go back and discover some of the stuff I missed. I won't be getting P3P yet so I don't get tired of the persona formula.

I don't like dungeon crawlers, so I know some of their games aren't for me, but I heard nocturne was story focused, or was that the digital devil saga? Any suggestions?

P4 is a dungeon crawler. Just as much as Nocturne and DDS.

cj_iwakura

cosmicblizzard said:
P4 is a dungeon crawler. Just as much as Nocturne and DDS.

Nocturne and DDS don't have the school life elements to break it up, though; just really awesome dialogue.

pirata

hosannainexcelsis said:
They'd better keep the Japanese VA in!

The only way I could see them doing that is if they made the PS3 version the only dual-language version. I can't see how they could fit both tracks on one 360 disk...but then again, there's probably a lot less voice work in this than in P4...

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Clott said:

Nocturne is an amazing, brilliant game (playing it now and getting close to finishing it), and while the story is fantastic it's not a dialogue-heavy game like Persona 4. There's no real towns or places to hang out so it's a lot less "social" than Persona.

I would buy it all the same. Oh, and Devil Summoner 2.

On topic: Stop making me want to import this game. Announce a US release date, Atlus so I can understand what the hell is happening.

Clott

So it's basically only the persona games that have that town element?

On topic: I would import it in a heart beat, as I am sure any fan of the persona games would IF it has subs!! But I guess that could be more evidence that the west is getting their own version

Bebpo

Banned
Nice OP

I'm getting the PS3 version this week, but I won't get a chance to play it until the end of next week. Can't wait though. The wait for a console game from R&D1 complete with new Meguro ost has been too long!

cj_iwakura

Clott said:
So it's basically only the persona games that have that town element?

On topic: I would import it in a heart beat, as I am sure any fan of the persona games would IF it has subs!! But I guess that could be more evidence that the west is getting their own version

Pretty much. There's no real safe haven in Nocturne or the first Raidou game. DDS isn't quite as brutal, but even your turf doesn't offer much protection from the demons.

onken

Looks like a fun game but I still have LBP2 and Killzone 3 to buy this month :/ Will pick it up in a few months time, no doubt, demo was a riot.

The demo was awesome even though I didn't understand much of the story. I'll wait on the English version of this before I throw down money on it however.

cj_iwakura

DJmizuhara said:
I'll be live-streaming Catherine on the PS3 on Thursday at 7pm JST, we'll also provide live on the live translations.

www.justin.tv/redsungamer

We also live-streamed and translated the demo too. http://www.youtube.com/user/RedSunGamer?feature=mhum

Atlus JP has officially requested that players do NOT upload, stream, or in any way share videos spoiling Catherine.

C/O Andriasang

2132440287.jpg

Sheep dude, the straight talker who serves as your guide in the game and at the official site, says, "Hello. I'm Sheep. Do you know of this scary rumor? Those who share spoilers about Catherine will have nightmares and die. Scary, scary. Everyone, to avoid nightmares, let's not post spoilers."

Sheep dude seems to be particularly concerned about spoilers from the game's 8th night and beyond.

In lieu of this request, I won't be streaming my playthrough of the game.

I hope you'll do the same out of respect.

cj_iwakura said:
Atlus JP has officially requested that players do NOT upload, stream, or in any way share videos spoiling Catherine.

C/O Andriasang

2132440287.jpg

In lieu of this request, I won't be streaming my playthrough of the game.

I hope you'll do the same out of respect.

WFT!!! My evening class has just been cancelled, so I was about to go to the store and pick up Catherine and live stream it tonight, and now this. I dunno...I might live-stream it just with MASSIVE spoiler warnings on it. Plus the dude who will be playing it will probably suck at it and only get to chapter 4 or 5 at the most in a 4 hour time period.

Dunno, I'll see what happens.

Top Bottom