• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| (JP/Import): Love Isn't Over Yet

I've said it in previous Catherine threads, but damn, it really is refreshing to see a game come out of Japan with main characters NOT in their teens.

cj_iwakura

Well, I did pretty dang good on the demo on a blind run, so I think I'll be fine, but I think I should honor Atlus JP's wishes, especially with a localization looking highly likely now.

And WTF, you can go get it right now?

jvalioli

I wonder what kind of twist is after that 8th day.

And I'm assuming it isn't what everyone has been predicting after the last trailer.

cj_iwakura said:
And WTF, you can go get it right now?

Yeah I can get it right now...I have a local mom&pop's store that likes to break street dates. :D Dunno if I'll bother now though, live-streaming that is. I'll be recording videos for gamersyde though and I'll go up tonight(Japanese time).

cj_iwakura

That sucks. :( (for me :p)

Funny thing, I preordered in December with the Nier OST, and play-asia just sent out the OST as a separate package today.

Why? I have no clue.

Pancho

Qurupancho
If I understood a lick of Japanese I'd import this game in a heartbeat

But what's the point of getting through the game if I won't understand it :(

luka

Loves Robotech S1
cj_iwakura said:
2132440287.jpg
I was planning on buying a capture card just for this game but I shall respect the sheep's wishes. :(

Jonnyram

DJmizuhara said:
WFT!!! My evening class has just been cancelled, so I was about to go to the store and pick up Catherine and live stream it tonight, and now this. I dunno...I might live-stream it just with MASSIVE spoiler warnings on it. Plus the dude who will be playing it will probably suck at it and only get to chapter 4 or 5 at the most in a 4 hour time period.

Dunno, I'll see what happens.
You should live stream it and just show the sheep pic outside the dungeon areas :)

Jonnyram said:
You should live stream it and just show the sheep pic outside the dungeon areas :)
I think I will live-stream it and switch to another game during the cut scenes to avoid spoilers and to avoid the sheep from giving me nightmares. lol

corporateslave

Neo Member
On an almost off topic bent, is there some sort of urban legend that corresponds to sheep men in Japan?

Haruki Murakami uses sheep and/or sheepmen as supporting characters in a decent amount of his fiction. Is this perhaps a tip to Murakami? Or is this part of some sort of greater Japanese culture I'm totally clueless about? Probably neither of the above but I find the coincidence odd.

Oh and On topic, I will totally be buying this once it becomes available to us non Japanese reading/speaking folks.

corporateslave said:
On an almost off topic bent, is there some sort of urban legend that corresponds to sheep men in Japan?

Haruki Murakami uses sheep and/or sheepmen as supporting characters in a decent amount of his fiction. Is this perhaps a tip to Murakami? Or is this part of some sort of greater Japanese culture I'm totally clueless about? Probably neither of the above but I find the coincidence odd.

Oh and On topic, I will totally be buying this once it becomes available to us non Japanese reading/speaking folks.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/uma-sheepman-mu-09-unidentified-mysterious-animal
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140696

There's an urban legend about a sheepman that some kids met up in the California mountains back in the early 60s, but other than that, the only thing I can think of are the Murakami novels. I wouldn't be surprised if the developers took some inspiration from him.

Jonnyram

Holy shit. A nico nico user who was livecasting the game has been banned - they weren't kidding!

Also, awesome Catherine dining collaboration at Dining Aoyama:
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201102/16040412.html

Need to get together some Tokyo peeps to check this out.
I wonder how you can differentiate between the Catherine and Katherine cocktails when ordering vocally.

simtmb

My copy just got shipped. Can't wait.

I'm jumping straight in even though my Japanese understanding isn't where it should be for this game, but i don't care since what i got out of the demo and overall understanding of it, was imo good enough. Completely loved it.

Either way, also an absolute Day 1 buy when its localized.

IT'S THE PERSONA TEAM BAYBEE!

iamcool388 said:
The voice acting talent is godly. Spike, Vicious AND Misato san??!!!

Day 1... whenever they announce it for US.

lol I was JUST thinking that Steve Blum should do the voice over for the main character in this game.

matmanx1

I expect a US release announcement "fairly" soon. It seems to me that the fact that Atlus even took time to create an Xbox 360 version points towards a release in the US and Europe.

Atlus wants us to have this game. I can sense it. =)

Volcynika

matmanx1 said:
I expect a US release announcement "fairly" soon. It seems to me that the fact that Atlus even took time to create an Xbox 360 version points towards a release in the US and Europe.

Atlus wants us to have this game. I can sense it. =)

They wouldn't handle that! :p

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Host Samurai said:
lol I was JUST thinking that Steve Blum should do the voice over for the main character in this game.

Yep, along with Wendee Lee as Katherine. In the case of a localization. Atlus should make a top-notch english VO as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
All this talk of VO, I really hope they include a Japanese voice track. At least on the PS3 version if space becomes an issue.

Caj814

I'll wait on a confirmation on a U.S release first. Would like to experience everything without dealing with a translation guide.

cj_iwakura

This is amusing.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/16/catherine_collaboration/

2132440366.jpg

Atlus and Collabo Dining are collaborating to promote Catherine. From February 17 through March 31, the Collabo Dining in Tokyo's Aoyama area will sell an original menu consisting of cocktails themed around the Catherine characters and a "Stray Sheep" brand pizza (named after the bar that appears in the game). Those who buy these items will receive a coaster themed around the game.

• Vincent
White Rum, Cola, Cut Lime. Made in the motif of the Rum and Coke Vincent drinks in the game.

• Catherine
Framboise, Peach, Grenadin. The framboise is apparently meant to represent deep regret and affection.

• Katherine
Black Sumbuca, Milk, Cream. The black sumbuca was used because the game's developers asked for a dark colored cocktail.

• Orlando
Beer, Soda, Melon, Yogurt, Cucumber. The development team requested the cucumber apparently because it has something to do with the game...

• Midnight Venus
Champaign, Amaretto, Cherry. The cherry is meant to be in the image of the character's red afro.

• Stray Sheep
Yogurt and Milk. Designed in the image of a sheep. This is a desert cocktail.
  • Erica
Mango, Orange, Cherry. Both Erica and Tobias' drinks have two cherries.
  • Jonathan
Nihonshu, Lemon, Tonic
  • Tobias
Grape Fruits, Tonic, Cherry
  • Master
Gin, Vermut, Black Olive

Just noticed, is this game set in the US? Do they mention a city? Kind of an interesting change if true, mainly because every atlus game in the SMT mileu was set in Japan (cept Strange Journey). Odd.

Zoe

bishopcruz said:
Just noticed, is this game set in the US? Do they mention a city? Kind of an interesting change if true, mainly because every atlus game in the SMT mileu was set in Japan (cept Strange Journey). Odd.

Didn't Vincent appear in the last Persona?

The game is framed as a story, so I don't think it really matters.

kiryogi

Banned
345triangle said:
so who's picked this up today? i'm waiting for impressions because it's over 7000 yen at the super potato down the road :/
Expecting it to be shipped tomorrow or fri. Will get a chance to mess with it next week. Gonna be gone all weekend XD

mehdi_san

345triangle said:
so who's picked this up today? i'm waiting for impressions because it's over 7000 yen at the super potato down the road :/
Yeah I'm on the fence too. Did we get a review score from Famitsu?

Hylian7

I played the demo back when it came out. I'm hoping for a US release, even if it means a horribly censored box art, please give us a US release.

mehdi_san

I just checked the reviews on Amazon, and it seems everyone is complaining about the game being incredibly difficult. I don't know if that's a good thing...

Jonnyram

mehdi_san said:
I just checked the reviews on Amazon, and it seems everyone is complaining about the game being incredibly difficult. I don't know if that's a good thing...
:lol RPGers are not used to action? There's an easy mode in which you can undo moves. Surely that's enough?

mehdi_san

Jonnyram said:
:lol RPGers are not used to action? There's an easy mode in which you can undo moves. Surely that's enough?
Yeah one of the reviewers was saying that even in easy mode it's too hard for him. Apparently, easy mode only gives you an "undo" button, it seems nothing else changes (the difficulty of the puzzles themselves is still the same).

duckroll

mehdi_san said:
Yeah one of the reviewers was saying that even in easy mode it's too hard for him. Apparently, easy mode only gives you an "undo" button, it seems nothing else changes (the difficulty of the puzzles themselves is still the same).

I understand how the sentiment though. When I played the demo, I thought that it was REALLY hard and impossible at first. Then I realized that I was simply playing it wrong. Understanding how the basic mechanic works is the main key, after that the demo wasn't hard at all.

Jonnyram

OK. I understand what people are complaining about now.
This is REALLY fucking hard lol.
I could get through the demo without any trouble, but on the third part of the game (still no big enemy following me, btw), the puzzles are just fucking difficult. I lost about 4 lives on that level. I wonder what happens when I lose all my lives, because I can't see them lasting too much longer!

Jonnyram

I'm saying it now.
This game is gonna go down in the history books for its ridiculous difficulty level.
I am stuck as hell on the third area. The demo doesn't prepare you in the slightest for what this game throws at you.

It's damned awesome, though.

cj_iwakura

bishopcruz said:

Chicago, if I remember right.

And Famitsu gave it 35/40, I think.

Top Bottom