• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| (JP/Import): Love Isn't Over Yet

Oichi said:
Eh?

They are "messengers" of the "witch", or so the game says. If you talk to someone (I forget who honestly) during the game they mention that

I believe it's the twin grannies in the restaurant who bring up the ants....

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished this yesterday on Normal, and got what I think is the best ending:
Vincent and Katherine get married; the trophy says "lover's true end" or something.

But wow, what a ride. I was worried that the core gameplay would put me off, but it turned into a Silent Hill-esque affair, where part of the fun was the expectation. Knowing that Vincent is gonna keep having this nightmare, and you have to deal with it.

I was digging the story, especially all the surprises later on; literally on the edge of my sofa during some cutscenes. I rarely get into Japanese dramas or anime this much, which I suppose is a testimony to the character building and general pacing of Catherine.

The whole thing just really took hold of me, and I think I found it more exciting because of the fact it was in Japanese. I have a pretty good grasp of the language, but the fact that it's not my mother tongue made me concentrate more, so when things started to fall into place in the story, these revelations had a greater impact.

The puzzle sections have also somewhat gotten under my skin. I find myself daydreaming about Vincent's dreams, picturing the moving blocks and trying to remember the techniques you get taught along the way! It's quite surreal.

Overall I loved it. I imagine anyone looking forward to the localised version will not be disappointed. Already started a Hard playthrough, and will be giving the other modes a look as well.

Btw, has anyone tried playing Babel/Colusseum with their girlfriend? I'm just curious ;)

Jonnyram

Got back to this game the last couple of nights. Just finished night 5. The last part was a bit nuts, and I had to do the very last part after the respawn point about 20 times before getting it right, so I've got 30+ retries stocked up now.

The story is crazy, though. If it's going where it seems to be, I'm gonna regret my deliberately skewed choices.

Atlus and parent company Index are aiming for 300,000 units sold for Catherine, CEO Yoshimi Ogawa revealed during an investors briefing that was held in Tokyo on the 14th. The game sold 250,000 units as of the end of February.

As reported at Impress Watch, Ogawa said that she hopes to develop a variety of content business opportunities for Catherine, which she called Atlus' next new IP to follow Megami Tensei and Etrian Odyssey. She did not share specifics.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/16/atlus_catherine_earnings/

Volcynika

Bumpity bump bump!

I've been getting really back into trying to finish this up, just kinda burning through the stages.

Though I've hit a snag and I'm not sure where to go on it.

I'm at stage
6-3, I think it's the Clock Tower? Has the blocks that have the fuse that explode after a certain amount of time. It's also the first time you see ants in the stage, as far as I remember.

I honestly have no idea where to begin on this stage, are there any hints someone might have?

Jonnyram

Volcynika said:
I honestly have no idea where to begin on this stage, are there any hints someone might have?
Youtube.

I finished the game, finally.
Pretty much got the worst ending possible, I think!
To see other endings, do you have to play through all the stages again, or is there the possibility to skip stuff?

Volcynika

Jonnyram said:
Youtube.

To see other endings, do you have to play through all the stages again, or is there the possibility to skip stuff?

I beat that one level with YouTube help! Also, now at the final set of stages. URRRRRRRRRRRRRRG

cj_iwakura

Jonnyram said:
Youtube.

The best way is to save near the final sequence of choices. That gets you a path to three endings if you're in one alignment route or the other. If you're neutral, two.

For 6-3:

01) Go right 2 steps.
02) Push the 3 row block to the right of you once.
03) Drop down once on right.
04) Pull out block from background.
05) Move back to the top of that block you pulled.
06) Pull the right block toward left twice, go around it and push it
once more.

gunstarhero

Anyone know if there are major quality differences between the PS3 and 360? Which version is recommended if you have the choice?

I was going to save this question for the NA official thread, but this ending talk sounds like a good time to ask.

Since so many have mentioned that the game isn't exactly highly replayable, WITHOUT SPOILERS:

Is there one ending that is clearly better than the rest? Either a "true ending" or just one that is generally much radder than the others?

Like, if you were only going to play the game once, and tentatively feel neutral about skewing towards law or chaos, should I just make the decisions as they come or should I try to get a specific ending and youtube the rest?

cj_iwakura

You really should just go for what YOU want. The endings are wildly different, and are all very appropriate to Vincent's character, depending on what extreme you take it to. He's either a true romantic who wants a relationship, or a carefree man who values his free will. It can go either way.

micster

gunstarhero said:
Anyone know if there are major quality differences between the PS3 and 360? Which version is recommended if you have the choice?
None at all I think. Maybe a very slight advantage to the PS3 version. Its completely up to you and which controller you prefer

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Who's making the English OP?

Volcynika

I hate the last boss so damn much. I move pretty quickly to a point then I just can't figure out what to do before it's too late. :(

Who's making the English OP?

I think Jeels mentioned he wanted to.

cj_iwakura

Volcynika said:
I hate the last boss so damn much. I move pretty quickly to a point then I just can't figure out what to do before it's too late. :(

I think Jeels mentioned he wanted to.

I did, too.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Youtube.

What ending did you get?

Also, what'd you think of the game overall?

cj_iwakura

Volcynika said:

I can help you out, tell me when you livestream it again.

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
What ending did you get?
I got "Lover: Bad"

Also, what'd you think of the game overall?
Loved it.
The puzzle game was frustratingly hard at times, but that might have been just the way I was playing it. It might be the case that you don't have to rush as much as I was doing, but I just tend to play that way in games like this, which makes accidents happen easily... the story part was awesome too. Truly a "man's game," though I can see a lot of elements that appeal to women too.

Vespene

Has anyone posted logo-less high-res art for Catherine on the wallpaper thread? I browsed through but didn't notice anything.

Man this game can't come out soon enough

Just did my pre order with Amazon including free release day delivery. (thanks to prime)

Did the Love is Over one... ton of shit for a cheap price. Why not?

take my money :(

any way to get this with English subs? On one hand, the English voices sound kinda weird, but on the other hand, I'd rather not miss out on any plot points because because I haven't been studying enough. Plus playing with simultaneously translating to the bf cause he wants to play to is not so much fun.

the chris

shanshan310 said:
any way to get this with English subs? On one hand, the English voices sound kinda weird, but on the other hand, I'd rather not miss out on any plot points because because I haven't been studying enough. Plus playing with simultaneously translating to the bf cause he wants to play to is not so much fun.
I don't think either version is going to have english subs with japanese voice, I'm pretty sure I read that Atlus would have to pay the japanese voice actors again if they wanted to release it with the original voices.

I have a funny feeling Catherine will make me go bald early from rippiing my hair out of frustration. Just like i believe Skyrim will probably kill my PS3

the chris said:
I don't think either version is going to have english subs with japanese voice, I'm pretty sure I read that Atlus would have to pay the japanese voice actors again if they wanted to release it with the original voices.

aww, that's a shame. I'd rather them pay the japanese voice actors again than pay the American ones. lol. Ah well. Thanks for letting me know.

Just watched some videos of a walkthrough of this game and I'm hooked by it. Definitely want to import now. Is it any good ? What's the gaf consensus on it ?

LordPhoque said:
What's the gaf consensus on it ?

It's like falling in love with a bimbo after already having a long-term relationship with your girlfriend only to wake up in a freaky nightmare world where you are forced to follow a horde of demonic sheep and climb children's lego blocks in order to survive the demons that make up your love interests night after night while toying around with the devils of cheating as you drink alcohol more and more and lose yourself in the midst of chaos, and find out everything had been for naught.

Nora Kisaragi said:
It's like falling in love with a bimbo after already having a long-term relationship with your girlfriend only to wake up in a freaky nightmare world where you are forced to follow a horde of demonic sheep and climb children's lego blocks in order to survive the demons that make up your love interests night after night while toying around with the devils of cheating as you drink alcohol more and more and lose yourself in the midst of chaos, and find out everything had been for naught.

Did you just spoil me the whole game ? Not cool, junior.

Top Bottom