• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| (JP/Import): Love Isn't Over Yet

snap0212

The Livestream was great. While I didn't really like the gameplay itself (watching it is just not that much fun, especially since the game seems pretty hard) I immediately fell in love with the story. I really hope RSG will stream the next part as well. The cutscenes are amazing as well. Great stuff.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How's the story of the game so far?

depths20XX

Are there different stages besides the block puzzles? In some of the screen shots it looks like there's different action areas.

So the Bonus EP with the game doesn't contain the awesome main menu music and the hip hop track......

FUCKING FAIL ATLUS !

I'll wait for the full OST and order that.....

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Jonnyram said:
I'm saying it now.
This game is gonna go down in the history books for its ridiculous difficulty level.
I am stuck as hell on the third area. The demo doesn't prepare you in the slightest for what this game throws at you.

It's damned awesome, though.
This makes me very very happy. Never change Atlus.

arne

corporateslave said:
On an almost off topic bent, is there some sort of urban legend that corresponds to sheep men in Japan?

Haruki Murakami uses sheep and/or sheepmen as supporting characters in a decent amount of his fiction. Is this perhaps a tip to Murakami? Or is this part of some sort of greater Japanese culture I'm totally clueless about? Probably neither of the above but I find the coincidence odd.

Oh and On topic, I will totally be buying this once it becomes available to us non Japanese reading/speaking folks.

Really, nobody helped you out with a real answer? There is allegedly some subtext to the use of sheep and sheepmen. I wouldn't know since it's apparently a Japanese cultural thing, so I all I had to reference was this article by Colette Bennett: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/30439/Opinion_Sex_and_The_Male_Psychology__Catherine.php

ps: this better get localized.

Damn the complaints about this game being hard are about right...this game is hard even when playing it on easy! I played it for about 4 hours last night and got to the
ice stage
which is stage 5th(I think) night of Vincent's nightmares. Being chased by a
butt with a tongue and a Baby with the sounds of chiming bells
is so unsettling and nerve-racking but great at the same time, the sense of urgency is amazing and is what leads to your death 99% of the time.

Anyway, I uploaded the first 4 hours to YouTube for anybody that the missed the livestream lastnight, it's split into 3 parts. It was translated on the fly, no prep work straight off the bat.

Jonnyram said:
I'm saying it now.
This game is gonna go down in the history books for its ridiculous difficulty level.
I am stuck as hell on the third area. The demo doesn't prepare you in the slightest for what this game throws at you.

Damn :-( I was looking forward to this, but that just puts me right off... Guess it's one for the Atlas fans and peeps with enough spare time....

angelfly

Jonnyram said:
I'm saying it now.

Well there goes my whole weekend. My copy shipped so I look forward to beating my head against the wall and breaking controllers.

Jonnyram

In between parts of multi-part dungeons, there is a confession box and it asks you a question, like "is marriage/dating a pain in the butt?" then the answers from everyone else are displayed during the next loading sequence. It's an awesome touch.

Jonnyram said:
In between parts of multi-part dungeons, there is a confession box and it asks you a question, like "is marriage/dating a pain in the butt?" then the answers from everyone else are displayed during the next loading sequence. It's an awesome touch.

that sounds soooo cool! Atlus needs to put this game out, in North America, right away!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Jonnyram said:
As far as you can tell, does it affect anything in the game (dungeon or story-wise)?

terrdactycalsrock said:
I want to import this so badly! Please, someone tell me that a person somewhere is working on a fan translation...
Atlus will localize it. Wait.

DAMN YOUR STEALTH EDIT!
mad.gif

No idea to be honest...I got the sound track when I bought the game and so far I haven't had a chance to listen to the actual soundtrack but the in-game is fantastic it really set an excellent atmosphere.

Jonnyram said:
Yes, I really like those online polls...I'm looking forward to see a Famitsu article regarding the results from the game and the state of Japanese gamers minds. LMAO!

Jonnyram

DJmizuhara said:
No idea to be honest...I got the sound track when I bought the game and so far I haven't had a chance to listen to the actual soundtrack but the in-game is fantastic it really set an excellent atmosphere.
The freebie CD is all the classical tracks arranged, none of the actual Meguro new music.

cj_iwakura

mizuhara: I'm going to request that you tag spoilers regarding the contents of stages and boss designs.

And that sucks, because I love the original Meguro tracks(like the title screen and Katherine's jazzy music) more than the classical stuff.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I've gotten past the fourth stage (baby) tonight and the only thing I really hate about the game is how they kick you back to the title screen if you use up all of your continues... which happens a lot, especially with new puzzles. It takes soooo long just to get back to where you started once you are low on continues. :/

snap0212

DJmizuhara said:
Damn the complaints about this game being hard are about right...this game is hard even when playing it on easy! I played it for about 4 hours last night and got to the
ice stage
which is stage 5th(I think) night of Vincent's nightmares. Being chased by a
butt with a tongue and a Baby with the sounds of chiming bells
is so unsettling and nerve-racking but great at the same time, the sense of urgency is amazing and is what leads to your death 99% of the time.

Anyway, I uploaded the first 4 hours to YouTube for anybody that the missed the livestream lastnight, it's split into 3 parts. It was translated on the fly, no prep work straight off the bat.
So no chance that you guys might stream where you left off yesterday? Damn. :/

snap0212 said:
So no chance that you guys might stream where you left off yesterday? Damn. :/
Yeah, we'll live-stream from where we left off, just not sure when. I'll let you guys know when we're streaming.

simtmb

Why does it have to be the weekend tomorrow???!!?

My order is shipped and basically around the corner D:
Can't wait, got so many great games in the mail. MVC, Catherine, Deathsmiles(PAL) just to name a few. xD

DJmizuhara said:
I've just uploaded some HD videos to Gamersyde.
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_catherine_the_first_15_minutes-10598_en.html
Check out the disturbing Gameplay video.
I didn't think i could get more excited, but now i am. Cheers for the upload! :D

cj_iwakura

I have a somewhat vocal contingent bugging me to put it on my livestream, so I probably will too. I'll update.

Atlus' requests have already been shot to hell, anyway.

john tv

I'm at 3-2 myself. It's challenging for sure, but so far it hasn't been anything crazy (playing on Normal). I'm pretty good at these kinds of puzzles though, so maybe that's helping? Hmm.

In any case, the game is awesome. :)

desu

atomsk

Party Pooper
Oichi said:
Chapter 6-2........... What the fuck. This seems impossible, heh.

Is that where it's
the wall that seemingly goes straight up? I don't remember exactly how I got passed that, but I was pushing blocks to make the wall come down some. Just wait till you see the Chapter 6 boss. I burned through almost all my continues to beat it

Also if you talk to all the sheep in between stages, one will show you a video of more advanced techniques, this has been super helpful for me anyway

atomsk

Party Pooper
aaaaand done. 12 hours on easy.

ending got:
The Invincible Man. As far as I can tell this is the bad end with Catherine. Katherine leaves you and Catherine is "imaginary", as in no one else can see her or believes she exists... that was what I could parse with no knowledge of japanese anyway. I chose the default answer for everything and always pulled the cord on the right in the answer booth

Super hyped to eventually (hopefully) play this in english and figure out what is really going on.

Nifty stuff to look for:
Teddie doll in the bar
bar patron named Justin Bailey
books in Vincent's room: Halrry Potter, C/C++, PERSONA

Does the ATM do anything?

putarorex

I am really digging the story and the bar stages in this game but the puzzles can get pretty damn hard.

One thing I am finding annoying is that sometimes the controls seem screwy. You push to the right to climb up a block and Vincent drops down. If I accidently move him behind a block wall, it can take a few seconds to figure out which direction I should push to get him back to the front of the block. I actually got to one point were it seemed to be moving Vincent in the exact opposite way I was indicating with the controller. Maybe it is a camera issue but I had to take a break before the frustration really set in.

Genkobar

Man, this game is something else. I liked the puzzles from the time I learned that one shouldn't push the blocks in so they'd fall into the chasm, but pull them out to make new pathways. But the dangers the game introduces as it goes on, they really stress you out!

I was having a lot of trouble in the Torture Chamber stage with the
giant butt monster
, but with a little bit of help from the Red Sun Gamer videos, I was able to get through it. The trick I hadn't known until I watched their videos was that
certain spikes only shoot out once, and after that they're safe. In the videos Martin would always step unto them and then step back to let the cube "spend" itself, but I found that it always worked to run straight over the spike cubes, hang over the edge of the last one and then shimmy back, or climb back up after the spikes break.
That might be a helpful tip for someone.

Regarding the difficulty, I'd say the game-play is really harsh the first time you try it, but once you learn the different tricks, it's not insurmountable. I'm having fun despite having gotten stuck a number of times.

@putarorex, are you sure you weren't just under the spell of the
butt monster, that reverses your controls
? If you're in Stage 3, it's caused by the
rain of hearts that pours down the tower
. The only time aside from that when the controls would get screwy for me, was when I'd have Vincent hanging from a block on the "back-side" of the tower; the left and right would switch from his perspective to the player's sometimes.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Finished the game on normal! Took me about 12 hours to finish. I didn't really skip any cutscenes and I tried to talk to everyone to finish everyone's sidestories, but I could only finish one. I'm not sure how to trigger the other stories but I'll figure that out in the second play through.

My ending:
After Katherine dumped me, I found out that the bartender of Stray Sheep is the big baddie, and I ended up having to do 5 more stages. They were HARD, but I managed to get through them somehow. The real ending came with Katherine and Vincent getting married. My meter was leaning towards blue at the end, for what it's worth. Red is basically devilish choices, and blue means angelic choices. I guess this time I'll try to act as much of an asshole as possible to Katherine to see what happens

Wow, So looks like they are in the process of working on a patch to make the game easier

http://cathy.atlus.co.jp/blog/2011/02/post-32.html No date set for release yet. They also going to be releasing advice for clearing each stage on the on the website, so players can taste the nostalgia of puzzling out games like it used to be.

Considering it seemed to be 90% of players saying the game would be amazing if it just wasn't so dang hard.... I say good choice.

Edit: they also state sales are better then they expected, but that could just be a throw-away line

naoki5001

Just finished the game and came to post. I really enjoyed the cutscenes, story and music. It took me under 13 hours on easy. I don't think I'll play on normal!

I also completed one sidequest.

My ending:
I favored the right of the meter throughout most the game. In the end, Vincent sits down with Katherine at Stray Sheep and tells her that Catherine never existed, with some persuasion from his friends and a beat up Master. She says she'll think about marrying him after he proposes. Cut to several months later and they are still together and planning for the upcoming wedding.

When this game was first announced as a block puzzler, I had low hopes because of gameplay disinterest. When I played the demo, I still had low hopes about the gameplay but the animation, acting and atmosphere really impressed me. I thought about the game more and more between the demo and release and I ended up going and buying it on release day because I wanted to see how the story would play out.

The puzzles were at times difficult and I continued A LOT, but at the final stage, I still had about 30 continues to burn that I accumulated over the course of the game. The controls when hanging on blocks is frustrating even to the end!!

Now I think, that I play Metal Gear Solid to go from point A to B and then watch a cutscene to progress the story that I'm interested in. I think Catherine is the same way for me, but instead of running in action/stealth, it's stressful block maze. I'm glad I bought it!

micster

My copy has just got to make the jump from the US to the UK. Estimating it to get here Tuesday though so even moree waiting D:

angelfly

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Wow, So looks like they are in the process of working on a patch to make the game easier

http://cathy.atlus.co.jp/blog/2011/02/post-32.html No date set for release yet. They also going to be releasing advice for clearing each stage on the on the website, so players can taste the nostalgia of puzzling out games like it used to be.

Considering it seemed to be 90% of players saying the game would be amazing if it just wasn't so dang hard.... I say good choice.

Edit: they also state sales are better then they expected, but that could just be a throw-away line
Considering I hit my first roadblock yesterday that sounds good to me.

surly said:
What are the chances of this game getting a release in Euroland?
It's unclear.
I think it'll happen, just a matter of time. First Atlus US have to announce & localise it. Then ... someone has to publish it here.

7threst

Could it be that a Euro-release depends on how well the game will sell when it gets a possible release in the US?
Euro-releases of Atlus-games are weird anyway. We didn't even get Strange Journey for example.

Volcynika

7threst said:
Could it be that a Euro-release depends on how well the game will sell when it gets a possible release in the US?
Euro-releases of Atlus-games are weird anyway. We didn't even get Strange Journey for example.

You'd have to hope a publisher in Europe picks up the game. If it sells well outside of Japan, I could see someone perhaps taking an interest in it.

Top Bottom