• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| (JP/Import): Love Isn't Over Yet

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I think that depending on the route you take, other things change too.

Spoilers about cellphone pics
The first time around, I was in the blue and Catherine sent me a photo of her in a nurse's outfit, but for my second playthrough, I am deep in the red and she sent me the same photo (same pose and background) but this time she's wearing a hot red leather mini-skirt/halter top combo. :eek:

Volcynika

fubarduck said:
You still have to sit through talking at the bar where you last saved, then wait for each cutscene to load before you can skip, PLUS there's an unskippable cutscene at the beginning of each stage while entering the door.

There's no solution, Atlus just released an unplayable piece of software. I'll wait for the patch.

Fortunately this bullshit will be sorted out by the time (when and if) it reaches Western shores.

The difference is, in an RPG you don't die within the first 10 seconds of gameplay, and you can save before each battle. If you could save at the beginning of the level, it'd be fine.

Hyperbole much? :p

notworksafe

fubarduck said:
You still have to sit through talking at the bar where you last saved, then wait for each cutscene to load before you can skip, PLUS there's an unskippable cutscene at the beginning of each stage while entering the door.

There's no solution, Atlus just released an unplayable piece of software. I'll wait for the patch.
Having load times and cutscenes = unplayable?

fubarduck

notworksafe said:
Having load times and cutscenes = unplayable?

Yes, I would consider 60 minutes of load time for 5 minutes of gameplay unplayable by regular people's standards. Which console did you play on that had that feature?

Okay finally got around to playing the demo and I utterly loved the story sections, the puzzles sections were okay... Not a big fan of the genre.

Would you possibly recommand this to folks on the that just want to play for the story?

falconzss said:
Great news, especially since it even managed to outsell MvC3 and exeeded its initial sales target in the first week. My DX pack should arrive within the next few days :D

Pictures of the pillow please!

I'm playing through this for a preview, and I just got to the final "stage" after what I thought was the ending...and then another ending...(I peaked at some spoilers and know where I'm at, it's right near the real end).

Anyway, there was one part on Stage 6 where I got absolutely stuck for 2 hours and was very close to throwing a fit at how cheap it was. Now, every time you die, it's your fault technically, but I take issue with a game that does nothing to prepare you for the type of puzzle you're about to encounter, gives you a timer and life count, and then refuses to let up. Specifically, the fact that all this was going on within the "easy" mode, which should be the "normal" mode IMO. Otherwise, the puzzles were fine after enough trial and error at junctures.

My real issues were:
- The controls: Dear lord these are way too responsive, even with d-pad. So often I'd accidentally push a block the wrong way, or hit O only to find I magically pressed the d-pad a few times already, causing Vincent to drop to his death cuz I was somehow hanging over the edge of a block without realizing it.

- Redos: These are nice, but my god this is buggy/flawed. At least once I somehow exploited this to bypass a puzzle and had no idea how this happened. But mostly, it's that you can get royally screwed if you're previous "save state" point is in a shitty spot OR it sends you further back than you thought and you forget what you did and are now lost. It was a life saver at times, but it was just as problematic at others. Oh, and the fact you CAN'T use it while pushing is crap. You know you're about to fall, you mash that Select button, but nothing happens and then you fall to your death as the block falls from underneath you. Blah.

- Lack of actual "game": This is a very story driven experience, and the gameplay segments are extremely repetitive and rarely evolve. You get like one or two new "gimmicks" per stage, and even then, it's still pushing and pulling blocks while racing against the clock and avoiding traps/enemies. Walking around the bar loses its charm after the second or third time, and the Rapunzel game is more of the same. I really wish there was something comparable to Persona's social sim elements.

Now, sounds like I hate the game, but that's not the case. I did like the frantic atmosphere during the puzzles, and if I knew enough Japanese, I'd probably really dig the story - even without fully comprehending the dialogue, the visuals and cutscenes are awesome. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed. Still have yet to try out the two-player mode in Babel. You unlock that by beating stages on Normal? Right now it's all locked out.

fubarduck said:
You get only 5 continues -- for the whole game. Once you run out, you have to load from a save file.

What this means is that for a puzzle that takes 50 times to complete (and it will take you that many times for some of them), you would have to rewatch the same 2-3 minute cutscenes 49 times.
Alright, this is bullshit. I'll have to hope for a fix before playing the game.

The Spoony Hou said:
Alright, this is bullshit. I'll have to hope for a fix before playing the game.
Not completely true either. You start with 5 continues but you can collect many more. As I previously posted I racked up 50 at one point in the game.

cj_iwakura

I'm not interested in the patch. I'll play the game how the developers created it, for better or worse. If Atlus USA wants, I'm sure they can apply it later.

And according to a website comparison, the two are virtually identical, though the cutscenes may be fractionally sharper on PS3.

cj_iwakura said:
I'm not interested in the patch. I'll play the game how the developers created it, for better or worse. If Atlus USA wants, I'm sure they can apply it later.
It's not like this is some fan patch, this is the developers themselves admitting they made a mistake and are going to fix the difficulty.

Surely the patch will already be on the disk?

cj_iwakura

Zeouterlimits said:
It's not like this is some fan patch, this is the developers themselves admitting they made a mistake and are going to fix the difficulty.

Surely the patch will already be on the disk?

It's not a mistake, it's catering to people who think the game is too hard.

Well, as long as it only affects Easy Mode, I'll allow it. :p

Volcynika

BroHuffman said:
Sounds like importing this may be the only way to play

http://beefjack.com/news/atlus-no-plans-for-catherine-in-north-america/

“Catherine is a Japan-only game and there are no plans for a NA release at this time. Sorry about that!”

I was really looking forward to playing this but don't understand a lick of Japanese. Hope they change their mind in the future.

Well even if they were going to announce it, that's kinda standard PR until everything is taken care of. They might even wait till E3 to announce it or something for fun. :p

BroHuffman said:

“Catherine is a Japan-only game and there are no plans for a NA release at this time. Sorry about that!”

I was really looking forward to playing this but don't understand a lick of Japanese. Hope they change their mind in the future.

I can't imagine they would bother with an xbox version if they only intended it for a Asian release. Then again...

Huff

Banned
Volcynika said:
Well even if they were going to announce it, that's kinda standard PR until everything is taken care of. They might even wait till E3 to announce it or something for fun. :p

Why even say anything then? Like a "no comment" rather any a "no." Unless a "no comment" really means "yes"?

Volcynika

BroHuffman said:
Why even say anything then? Like a "no comment" rather any a "no." Unless a "no comment" really means "yes"?

People will speculate about the 'no comment' if they said it, it always happens. Also the "no plans -- at this time" is an important part of the statement. It could still be up in the air, so that's not a definite.

So, Atlus, I did my part and received the OST from Japan (the proper Meguro one). It's awesome as expected.

As I'm in Europe I'm used to importing your products from the US, so make sure to release it there ! My friends are still waiting on an European release for P3P and were fiending on my US Copy (I ordered some US versions for them because I wanted my game back! haha)

Congrats on the top sale spot this week, I guess those exports DO add up.....

ToastyBanana said:
Not completely true either. You start with 5 continues but you can collect many more. As I previously posted I racked up 50 at one point in the game.
Well, apparently the game is decent then. I'll have to wait until a extern release anyways (360 user), so let's see how it goes.

notworksafe

fubarduck said:
Yes, I would consider 60 minutes of load time for 5 minutes of gameplay unplayable by regular people's standards. Which console did you play on that had that feature?
Mine is one in reality that loads within a few minutes...which alternate universe is your hyperbolic mega-loadtime console from?

pizzafreedom

Neo Member
BroHuffman said:

Even if the game gets localized eventually, a little piece of my soul died today. :(

ArjanN

BroHuffman said:

I read this more as an: 'we're not ready to announce anything yet' statement.

And there's no point playing this if you don't know Japanese IMO.

Gorgon

cj_iwakura said:

ATLUS US don't change anything in the actual games, except for controler imputs and VO/text. If there is no patch from the ATLUS JP than ATLUS US won't do shit no matter how much they want.

Appollowexx said:
I can't imagine they would bother with an xbox version if they only intended it for a Asian release. Then again...
Honestly I feel like this is an important piece of the puzzle ... I'm going to be incredibly upset if I don't get to play this. I loved the gameplay and the story seemed cool. My understanding of Japanese is very basic. So maybe someday ill have the skills to import. I will probably forgive Atlus if it is due to them working dilligently on an SMY/Persona/Devil SUMMONER/Digital Devil Saga HD game.

*keeps dreaming*

fubarduck

cj_iwakura said:
It's not a mistake, it's catering to people who think the game is too hard.

Well, as long as it only affects Easy Mode, I'll allow it. :p

. . . but nobody thinks the game is too hard. Fans aren't complaining about the game's difficulty, they're complaining about the poor mechanics for continuing/saving/loading that I described earlier.

The developers made a mistake. They admitted it, and now they are doing something about it.

I was one of the (few?) who ordered the Famitsu DX Edition...a little underwhelming, all of the DX goodies are just wrapped separately in bubble wrap, no big special edition box or anything. The game is wrapped separately too, just the a standard box.

Was there some other special edition too? I recall hearing something...

And the "easier" patch, have they said a date? Curious how this will affect the game as to make it easier they'd have to edit the blocks/puzzles in the stages or something.

fubarduck

TSA said:
- Redos: These are nice, but my god this is buggy/flawed. At least once I somehow exploited this to bypass a puzzle and had no idea how this happened. But mostly, it's that you can get royally screwed if you're previous "save state" point is in a shitty spot OR it sends you further back than you thought and you forget what you did and are now lost. It was a life saver at times, but it was just as problematic at others. Oh, and the fact you CAN'T use it while pushing is crap. You know you're about to fall, you mash that Select button, but nothing happens and then you fall to your death as the block falls from underneath you. Blah.

The Select button does nothing for me. Is this a feature of Easy mode, or are you talking about "Retry" from the Pause menu (which uses a continue)?

fubarduck said:
The Select button does nothing for me. Is this a feature of Easy mode, or are you talking about "Retry" from the Pause menu (which uses a continue)?

Select is "Redo" which skips back to your last move.
I played a few stages of Easy and Hard and believe it was also there in Hard...maybe not.

cj_iwakura

fubarduck said:
. . . but nobody thinks the game is too hard. Fans aren't complaining about the game's difficulty, they're complaining about the poor mechanics for continuing/saving/loading that I described earlier.

The developers made a mistake. They admitted it, and now they are doing something about it.

Think Catherine's action parts are too hard? The Catherine team has apparently been getting complaints that the game is too difficult even on easy mode. They've gotten so many complaints, in fact, that they'll be addressing the issue with a patch.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/21/catherine_difficulty_patch/

simtmb

Gotta get back to playing this and finish it off xD as i just got my copy of Deathsmiles (PAL) and been playing that, took a break from Catherine for a bit as i felt i was unnecessarily grinding it out. (Want to stop for a bit and try the Rapunzel game a bit more)

I reached Day 6 before i stopped, and damn, this game is so good. My highlight so far, was finishing all of Stage 5 areas and boss all in one try each. Felt great xD...but tbh, despite it being Stage 5...felt the easiest of them all so far lol.

On Normal mode and i have 31 retries available. I definitely don't think its too hard as I've played much harder games, and more unforgiving stuff. But it is understandable. Though i can't speak for Easy mode, however on Normal mode, i can see a lot of people getting frustrated as one bad move 90% of the time will result in immediate failure. But in many occasions its possible to correct this though given the timed structure of it all, that just leads to a delayed 'Love is over'. As on Normal, you gotta do it pretty damn well from the get go to really have any chance of finishing any of the areas.

Though personally, i love that about it, as I've had many amazing runs that i ended up feeling real satisfied about finishing, and the events afterwords just tops it all off.

Love this game.

As for the game coming to NA or not...it's pretty much a definite release. I mean, yesterday we get told "No plans" then now from an Atlus faithful email in my Inbox; Pink background with the message: "Do you still like us?"

Seems pretty obvious what it's about xD

Volcynika said:
Hyperbole much? :p

What is with GAF and the constant use of this word Hyperbole.

Hyperbole is an intentional exaggeration. What is wrong with using them? It's like I hear this word ten million times a day on GAF.

I hear this word ten million times a day on GAF

Hyperbole much?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just got this in an email, think it has anything to do with the game?

doyoustilllikeus.jpg

I replied yes to the email.

Edit: Why did you just post a link, now I reposted it for nothing!

cj_iwakura

They've got this to a fricking science.

They better have one hell of a press release planned for this.

Gonna take a lot to outdo Persona 4's announcement.

Top Bottom