• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| (JP/Import): Love Isn't Over Yet

mehdi_san

atomsk said:
it's a trampoline block, they look different
Oh I see, I thought it was some kind of special technique.
Anyway, finally cleared the 4th night, halfway through now (I started playing this morning lol). This game is awesome!

kiryogi

Banned
Anyone toyed with babel mode yet? I really would love to know how many levels does it take to clear the first area... Seems endless. Made it 104 so far.

damn that's nice

I'm sooooo jealous of anyone playing this game right now. I loved the demo. The only thing I wanted was to be able to read what those text messages said.

Pretty sure you can look up transcriptions of the games dialogue if you wanted to import it. Menus and action commands are in English anyway so it seems import friendly to a certain degree.

The only thing stopping me is that I would prefer to hold out and see if they tweak the gameplay for an international release (if that even happens).

Flek

Banned
i loved the demo and i suck at waiting for games so iam thinking about buying a j import. But do you guys have links to dialog translations etc.?

Spwn

Flek said:
i loved the demo and i suck at waiting for games so iam thinking about buying a j import. But do you guys have links to dialog translations etc.?

Wait a little bit longer. It's going to be announced tomorrow by Atlus USA.

Macstorm

Was leaked and then pulled from Gamestop's online database. Some sites made Atlus's PR comment a bigger deal than it should have been and should have known better. (Edit: I've not seen confirmation of an announcement tomorrow, but I'd bet safely on it coming.)

Spwn

Flek said:
what ? You are joking or do you have a source or something ?

I consider VideoGamePlus's twitter message a reliable source. They've got pretty good relationship with Atlus USA.

VGP twitter said:
Look for a Big Atlus announcement tomorrow that's all we can say at the moment.

There's also other sites spreading the rumor of it being announced tomorrow.

pizzafreedom

Neo Member
Set for summer 2011?! That's so soon! I was expecting holiday 2011.

http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8679
catherine_faithful_reveal_final.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
GET!

Rvlmx.jpg

That's the last time I'm going to skimp on shipping, goddamn.

戴きます!

cj_iwakura

The rumors are true; be warned.

This game is tough. Real tough. You will die on stage 2 a lot tough.

Only Nocturne's music is available on the jukebox from the start. :(

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Made it through the first 3 dungeons without much trouble. Got gold on the first 2 and silver on the third. Died once on the third night. Not too bad so far, but I'm playing on easy because of how difficult everyone's been saying this would be. Maybe I'll bump it up.

Going for a "good" ending but some of the confessional responses for that route seem a bit odd.

Also, Norio Wakamoto is the voice of Master! I always crack up when I hear that guy.

cj_iwakura

luka said:
Made it through the first 3 dungeons without much trouble. Got gold on the first 2 and silver on the third. Died once on the third night. Not too bad so far, but I'm playing on easy because of how difficult everyone's been saying this would be. Maybe I'll bump it up.

Going for a "good" ending but some of the confessional responses for that route seem a bit odd.

Also, Norio Wakamoto is the voice of Master! I always crack up when I hear that guy.

Once you get to Stage 4, you'll be glad you're on Easy.

Good god to hell with that boss.

Game and preorder bonuses get this morning. Still didn't boot this baby up, been busy with another one, but will definitely be playing it in a few hours. Can't wait.

cj_iwakura

thebaroness said:
Anyone know how many endings the game is supposed to have? A good and Bad ending? Or are there a few?

Eight, rumor has it.

I'm at Stage 6 now.

Stage 5 was sooo much fun.

Yay ice sliding.

I'm glad they keep switching it up.

Neo Member
kiryogi said:
Anyone toyed with babel mode yet? I really would love to know how many levels does it take to clear the first area... Seems endless. Made it 104 so far.

I put a fair amount of time into it, but I'm not really that great. Far as I can tell from looking at the scoreboard, Altar goes up to 150 levels. Highest I've gotten so far is 113.

kiryogi

Banned
0405 said:
I put a fair amount of time into it, but I'm not really that great. Far as I can tell from looking at the scoreboard, Altar goes up to 150 levels. Highest I've gotten so far is 113.

Yeah it's 150.. I just wanna clear it within the time attack times and get those avatars XD

alekth

Clocked at about 17hrs, almost got the ending I was going for
wanted freedom true, got freedom normal
. Not really big on puzzle games (in fact I play none aside from Layton), really irritated me at times because I wanted more of the story. Hopefully can push for 2-3 more endings from the last save, after that I think I will enjoy the puzzle gameplay a bit more.

Played on Easy, and IMO that mode is okay as it is, with the undo option (which I used a lot), finished with 31 remaining retries. Don't think I got to hear about any beverages at all for some reason and only saved one person, so there's a lot more at the bar to go through (incl. Rapunzel).

Just wish I understood more of it, my Japanese isn't that good yet, and there is no option to manually go to next line in dialogue, so it got sort of hazy at times.

Jonnyram

Yeah, and they thankfully made Normal more normal too, with the multiplier on the pillows. Thank fuck! It made no sense in its original form.

Giolon

So to all you guys playing this game, I'm trying to stay relatively spoiler free outside of any story material Atlus has published (or pushed to magazines like Famitsu, etc.) - but I'm dying to watch this Gametrailers preview b/c I need to see more about this game!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/import-preview-catherine/711362

However...I've been burned by their SPOILERTASTIC video before...

Can anybody tell me if I'll regret watching that preview video given my aversion to spoilers on this title?

Neo Member
Giolon said:
So to all you guys playing this game, I'm trying to stay relatively spoiler free outside of any story material Atlus has published (or pushed to magazines like Famitsu, etc.) - but I'm dying to watch this Gametrailers preview b/c I need to see more about this game!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/import-preview-catherine/711362

However...I've been burned by their SPOILERTASTIC video before...

Can anybody tell me if I'll regret watching that preview video given my aversion to spoilers on this title?

From what I remember, there's at least one massive spoiler in the video, so yeah, you will.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
A continue lets you replay the stage from the beginning or a checkpoint (if you found one).

I really like the difficulty and replay value of this game. While playing the demo, I thought it would be quite easy, but it took me a lot of effort to get through normal. And that is without getting gold on every stage, finishing the 64 levels of Rapunzel (tip: do this on your second run, as you will have free play then instead of credits) or getting though the Babel challenges. Oh, and there is also hard for even more challenge.

cj_iwakura

0405 said:
From what I remember, there's at least one massive spoiler in the video, so yeah, you will.

There is. DO NOT WATCH THAT VIDEO. Very horrible editing on their part.

I'm on the final day, and yeesh. So nasty.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
I finally managed to get gold on stage 7 (normal). The last level took me quite some time and my solution was far from elegant, so I'm quite scared of the last stage now. The first couple of levels on that one took me an eternity the first time round, and I was merely trying to survive during that run.

cj_iwakura

Finally at the final final level.

Thoughts and spoilers:

Come on, who didn't see Master coming? Pretty much casting Norio Wakamoto as him was a spoiler in and of itself. :p

Still, awesome stuff. Can someone explain how the final choices work? I really have no clue what I'm doing, and it doesn't seem to affect alignment.

I'm scared of what's to come on 9-6.

Also, I can't believe that gametrailers import preview showed THE VERY FINAL BOSS.

What the hell were they smoking?

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
I already felt that the official trailers went too far. Since the story is so important, they should have stopped at the second day or so and not reveal anything from beyond that point.

And it really baffles me as well that Gametrailers thought that was acceptable content for a preview. This is also the reason that I tend to avoid original material by that site, as they don't seem to have any regard for people who just want to get a general idea of a game without getting spoiled.

Bebpo

Banned
Kind of late to the party but finished this up last night. Holy hell @ those final 2 dungeons. Maybe I'm just not much of a puzzle guy, but some of those stages broke my brain. Definitely some of the toughest gaming I've ever faced. I spent an hour in retries on a single section at the start of the final dungeon; that last puzzle before the end was just fffuuu.

spoiler question:
In day 6 I think, Johnny was absent from Stray Sheep that night after cowering in the tower the night before. When you talk to the old ladies they say "Mr. Justin died". But then in the story scenes on day 7 he's back with everyone.

...ummmmm, what. That was the only continuity thing that weirded me out. I mean I guess he didn't die that night but the old ladies don't tend to lie. Also what was his story? Out of all of the characters, he is the most mysterious one. During the couple of nights he's in the tower he keeps mumbling about how he's awful because he betrayed his friends but without further context that leaves you kind of hanging on his story. Did anyone get more info out of him?

About the endings:
I got the True Lovers ending on law. At first I started on law because I thought it was the right thing to do rather than cheat on your gf, but I started not feeling so good about going law towards the latter half. The problem is, if you do law route with Katherine you're basically sticking with an idea (don't cheat) rather than a person. The game doesn't really do much to paint Katherine in a shining light that makes you want to stay with her. I think I would have liked to see a little more of her good points to make you want to pick her rather than pick that you don't believe in cheating on a longtime gf.

Anyhow, the scene towards the end in the bar where Wakamoto thinks Vincent figured him out and starts blabbing off about everything and then Vincent and Erika are like WTF was lolololol; the facial expressions, especially on Wakamoto were amazing. The game was very, very funny at times; a great dark comedy. Wakamoto was so perfect for that role, I don't know how they'll be able to dub him properly.

Going to go for the True Catherine ending now I think, although man, I DO NOT want to redo dungeon 7/9. There are some parts in the final dungeon where I have no idea how I got through it and it was just looooots of trial & error. I have respect++ to everyone who finishes this game on any difficulty.

*edit: just youtubed the true Freedom ending...lol This game is hilarious and I love that

Oh and since I forget to say, the game was really great. Felt right up there with the quality of SMT3/DDS/P3/P4; The level design is superb and the story is very fun.

webrunner

Primate Ryan said:
A continue lets you replay the stage from the beginning or a checkpoint (if you found one).

You know, if someone makes a game where you dont use up lives if you die before the first checkpoint, I will love them forever.

Lucis

finally got time this last weekend to play the game, finished it pretty much in 1 sitting on sat on normal... how i wish i choose an easier difficulty, especially the last few stages where there's randomness involved...
now i realize there's super easy mode i might go back to see more endings.

the story seems to be not very coherent, and to get the true endings you have to answer questions in the last stage in a set way, and for one of the question, i really don't think most people would have answered the way it is if it's them in that situation ;/

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Lucis said:
finally got time this last weekend to play the game, finished it pretty much in 1 sitting on sat on normal... how i wish i choose an easier difficulty, especially the last few stages where there's randomness involved...
now i realize there's super easy mode i might go back to see more endings.

the story seems to be not very coherent, and to get the true endings you have to answer questions in the last stage in a set way, and for one of the question, i really don't think most people would have answered the way it is if it's them in that situation ;/

You might also want to try getting gold on every stage so that you can skip them (and unlock the Babel challenges, of course), but I guess that takes more time than just replaying them every time on easy.

I still haven't perfected the last stage myself (due to the randomness (*shakes fist*)), and since my television broke down last week it may take some time before I pick it up again.

Lucis

Primate Ryan said:
You might also want to try getting gold on every stage so that you can skip them (and unlock the Babel challenges, of course), but I guess that takes more time than just replaying them every time on easy.

I still haven't perfected the last stage myself (due to the randomness (*shakes fist*)), and since my television broke down last week it may take some time before I pick it up again.

you can skip if you get gold?
i got 3 gold on normal i think just by playing normally...
what's the qualification for gold? no undo perfect steps? it's most likely possible for 1-7 pretty easily but 8/tenjou might be too hard to bother ;/ does gold on easy/very easy count?

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Lucis said:
you can skip if you get gold?
i got 3 gold on normal i think just by playing normally...
what's the qualification for gold? no undo perfect steps? it's most likely possible for 1-7 pretty easily but 8/tenjou might be too hard to bother ;/ does gold on easy/very easy count?

I'm not sure about the specifics. Only noticed the option in the menu while you are in a level, but I haven't tried it yet.

To get gold you just need to get a particular score. This involves doing a close to perfect run and grabbing most of the gold spread throughout the level. It also doesn't always matter if you hit silver before the end, as a perfect/very good performance in subsequent levels can be enough to get it back to gold before or at the end of the stage.

8 didn't give me any headaches. Sure, it took quite a few retries before I got it, but it's short and as most of the problems are fairly easy to solve, you mostly need to concentrate on that special attack and where it hits.

Bebpo

Banned
I didn't get above bronze on any of the stages first play since I'd die like 50 times a stage ^^;

On my 2nd run now I've been going for perfect run golds and it's challenging but a lot of fun. It's more about memorizing the entire level layout and trial and error figuring out the way to do it all and get the coins without losing your meter. But it adds some extra challenge that makes a 2nd run just as enjoyable as the first. The story changes also make it very enjoyable on the 2nd time. Same with the quality of the cutscenes. I haven't skipped a single scene yet on my 2nd play. It's just as entertaining as the first, maybe moreso.

Been listening to the ost over the last few days and this is such a great soundtrack from Meguro. It's short (though still about 2-3x more real tracks than Strange Journey), but there are lots of great pieces. Hope the new Persona 2 IS ost is just as good, could use even more Meguro next month.

I haven't even tried Babel mode yet. Probably will check out the first stage next time I load the game up.

This was definitely a fantastic game all around. To me it feels like an R&D1 rpg with different and unique gameplay.

Lucis said:

I feel like the story is maaaaainly fine and a good little plot. It does seem to have red herrings though that go nowhere just to lead you on and make the plot look more involved. Like can ANYONE explain wtf the ants are supposed to represent??

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
so besides gameplay I wont understand a thing if I Dont know japanese? like cutscene story etc...

Bebpo

Banned
dgenx said:
so besides gameplay I wont understand a thing if I Dont know japanese? like cutscene story etc...

Wait for the US release. The story is huuuuuuuge part of it. It's 1/2 game, 1/2 interactive movie.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Bebpo said:
I feel like the story is maaaaainly fine and a good little plot. It does seem to have red herrings though that go nowhere just to lead you on and make the plot look more involved. Like can ANYONE explain wtf the ants are supposed to represent??

I'm not sure they represent anything? I thought they just showed up in the dream because they were crawling over Vincent while he was sleeping. This influenced his nightmare just like your alarm clock going off might be represented in your dream by an incessant noise of some kind that just won't go away. Of course, there is still the end of the cutscene where they zoom in on that single remaining ant...

And yeah, just wait if you don't understand Japanese. The game is incredibly funny at times, but that will be mostly lost on you, except for the excellent expressions. Vincent knows how to express shock, that's for sure. Especially in one of my favourite cutscenes somewhere around stage 3 where
Katherine tells him that her period is late. His immediate response, Katherine's talk about responsibilities and Vincent's confused thoughts, and finally Catherine's call had me in stitches.
Brilliance.

Bebpo

Banned
Primate Ryan said:
I'm not sure they represent anything? I thought they just showed up in the dream because they were crawling over Vincent while he was sleeping. This influenced his nightmare just like your alarm clock going off might be represented in your dream by an incessant noise of some kind that just won't go away. Of course, there is still the end of the cutscene where they zoom in on that single remaining ant...

well, even the very first cutscene at the restaurant with Katherine has an ant crawling on the side of the table that they focus on. I'd like to think the ants at various parts are supposed to represent something, but I have no idea what it is. Or they just are put at parts to make it seem creepier than it really is. Dunno.

And yeah, my favorite stuff is everything with Wakamoto's Bar Master. Even when they talk about him and the camera pans to him and he freaks out it's hilarious

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Bebpo said:
well, even the very first cutscene at the restaurant with Katherine has an ant crawling on the side of the table that they focus on. I'd like to think the ants at various parts are supposed to represent something, but I have no idea what it is. Or they just are put at parts to make it seem creepier than it really is. Dunno.

Eh?

They are "messengers" of the "witch", or so the game says. If you talk to someone (I forget who honestly) during the game they mention that

Top Bottom