• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBD hemp oil named a Schedule I drug by DEA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
This sucks :(

A cannabidiol hemp oil used by some families of children with seizures has been officially named a Schedule I drug by the DEA.

The change explains that the DEA is creating a new Administrative Controlled Substances Code Number for what it calls "Marihuana [sic] Extract."

Shame to see this going on under Obama's DEA. Can only imagine what we're in for with the next guy. It's also a shame to see them still referring to and spelling the name of the plant in the old, racist way.

For more info on the potential benefits of (non-psychoactive) CBD strains: https://youtu.be/oxrKyjeClTk

No Love

Banned
Huge blow to medicinal MJ. The DEA has a been a bunch of assholes all these years and continues to bang their head against the onslaught of progress.

Media

Wtf. I bought a 60 dollar bottle of CBD oil for pain relief in Oregon. Tried it, and it didn't work very well for me, so I still have a lot left. Now I'm a fucking criminal. How? That shit doesn't even make you high. You can't even tell you took anything.

That's without even taking into account all the kids who stopped having seizures only via that little miracle.

Fuck you DEA

collige

Banned
I mean, it makes sense in that it is a marijuana extract and marijuana is already a schedule 1, but the real issue is that the DEA scheduled it like that in the first place.

BigDug13

The people whose livelyhood relies on prosecuting drug offenders should NOT be the same organization to determine what is and is not an illegal drug. They should be enforcing the laws, NOT making them. This is horrible and easily corruptable conflict of interest.

ezrarh

The DEA is a bunch of worthless fucks.

edit: Actually I'm not sure if "worthless" is the right word for an organization that may do more harm than help.

Just part of an on-going fight that the DEA will lose. They have the power to withhold a powerful medicine that is the only hope for some very dire children. They will use this power to let people suffer and protect some key industries that CBD oil would destroy. This will happen until we continue to organize and change legislation.

Incredibly sad but incredibly expected. Let's keep on fighting

Chumly

The people whose livelyhood relies on prosecuting drug offenders should NOT be the same organization to determine what is and is not an illegal drug. They should be enforcing the laws, NOT making them. This is horrible and easily corruptable conflict of interest.
THIS. It's onvious the DEA is just a runaway organization that doesn't give a shit about science but what is going to give them the most activity

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wtf. I bought a 60 dollar bottle of CBD oil for pain relief in Oregon. Tried it, and it didn't work very well for me, so I still have a lot left. Now I'm a fucking criminal. How? That shit doesn't even make you high. You can't even tell you took anything.

That's without even taking into account all the kids who stopped having seizures only via that little miracle.

Fuck you DEA

I switched to CBD hash oil from Xanax for panic attacks, and it does basically the same thing for me except the CBD doesn't give you the addictive high that Xanax does. At worst it's a similar high you might get from over the counter cold medicine or sleeping pills. And there's certainly no noticeable health risk to it.

This stuff makes absolutely no sense except for the most cynical of explanations.

cress2000

Fucking Nature, why did you have to create such an inexpensive plant that could cheat big pharma out of big money? AMERICA FUCK YEAH will not stand for such a grave injustice to our free market!

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Could you please explain this? I could not find anything on Wikipedia.

Hard to Google up that specific claim on my phone, but basically the argument goes that enforcement agencies began using the term 'marijuana' to increase racist concern, particularly toward Mexican immigrants. It wasn't really part of our vocabulary until they started pushing for prohibition:

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/06/weed_and_words_the_growth_of_dank_vocabulary_partner/

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/where-did-the-word-marijuana-come-from-anyway-01fb

Hammer24

Banned
Hard to Google up that specific claim on my phone, but basically the argument goes that enforcement agencies began using the term 'marijuana' to increase racist concern, particularly toward Mexican immigrants. It wasn't really part of our vocabulary until they started pushing for prohibition:

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/06/weed_and_words_the_growth_of_dank_vocabulary_partner/

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/where-did-the-word-marijuana-come-from-anyway-01fb

Thank you.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This swamp needs to be drained.

The DEA is only doing this because this extract is very cheap and can help people that otherwise need very expensive medications.

Hopeful that Trump will get somebody in the DEA that has no favors owed to these fucking alchohol and drug companies and gut every leadership position in the place.

Nah, the drug industry is coming out with their own synthetic version, gotta protect them an their marketplace.

This swamp needs to be drained.

The DEA is only doing this because this extract is very cheap and can help people that otherwise need very expensive medications.

Hopeful that Trump will get somebody in the DEA that has no favors owed to these fucking alchohol and drug companies and gut every leadership position in the place.

You just know who Trump gets to run the DEA is going to be a former executive of Pfizer or some shit.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
DEA, you buncha no good money-wasting motherfuckers. This vile and utter useless organization has got to go. Fuck everyone in charge who made this happen.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Fucking Nature, why did you have to create such an inexpensive plant that could cheat big pharma out of big money? AMERICA FUCK YEAH will not stand for such a grave injustice to our free market!
You realize that opiates are plant based as well, right?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Big pharma was the first thing i thought off.

Yeah, they are probably even more worried about CBD than THC because CBD has more medical use.

Alcohol, cigarette, and law enforcement lobbies probably don't care about CBD as much as THC.

There's a video of a guy who's basically become the spokesperson for CBD oil. His son has seizures and was on 17 different pills a day and addicted to benzos. He couldn't move. He couldn't speak. He was just in pain 24/7.

He was weened down to almost no pills on CBD and started moving and doing things normal, happy kids do.

Crushing that he's gonna have to go back to pills.

jb1234

There's a video of a guy who's basically become the spokesperson for CBD oil. His son has seizures and was on 17 different pills a day and addicted to benzos. He couldn't move. He couldn't speak. He was just in pain 24/7.

He was weened down to almost no pills on CBD and started moving and doing things normal, happy kids do.

It's unclear whether things will change for him. MJ has always been a Schedule 1 drug, for instance and people can still get their hands on it legally in states that support medical marijuana.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I don't agree with it being Schedule 1 because fuck the DEA, and their anti-science stance, but I also don't believe in it being a "miracle drug."

Drugs need to be studies and assessed for efficacy. This will only push people towards woo and alternative medicine instead of legitimate research by universities and/or drug companies.
Evidence suggesting that CBD is effective against treatment-resistant epilepsy may be growing but scientists still know very little about how it works—other than the likelihood that it is “completely different than any other seizure drug we know,” as Devinsky puts it. That’s a good thing, he notes: “One fear is that because of the way that the drugs are tested and screened, we've ended up with a lot of ‘me-too’ drugs that are all very similar.”

Researchers, including those who were involved in the study published last December, hope to address these limitations in currently running blind and placebo-controlled clinical trials testing CBD on Dravet sufferers as well as Lennox–Gastaut syndrome, another drug-resistant form of epilepsy. In the meantime most clinicians and researchers, including those involved in the trial, advise “cautious optimism” when considering CBD as an epilepsy treatment.

Can Cannabis Treat Epileptic Seizures?

We need more research, not less. Too bad the DEA is only interested in retaining arrest numbers.

The DEA is a business and without drugs to go against, they lose funding. Simple as that.

Actual quote from NYPD commissioner Raymond Kelly: "Of course we're a business, we have a budget of $5B a year so I treat us like a business and it's fair to expect our employees to do their fair share [arresting low level drug offenders]".

We have a profoundly broken system.

Gross, DEA is worthless

This is totally effed, but marijuana is already schedule 1, yeah? So states can just continue to ignore it like they do with the plant itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom