• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS refuses to give Asian stars in Hawaii Five-0 equal pay, they leave

duckroll

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/daniel-dae-kim-grace-park-hawaii-five-0-1202484329/

Stars Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park have departed CBS’ “Hawaii Five-0.” Their characters, Chin Ho Kelly and Kono Kalakaua, will not appear in the upcoming eighth season. The characters’ absence will be referenced in the season premiere.

Sources tell Variety that Park and Kim had been seeking pay equality with stars Alex O’Loughlin and Scott Caan, but were unable to reach satisfactory deals with CBS Television Studios, which produces the series. CBS’s final offer to Kim and Park was believed to have been 10-15% lower than what O’Loughlin and Caan make in salary. O’Laughlin and Caan each have deals that also provide them percentage points on the show’s back end.

Might as well can the fucking show. *vomit*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The funny thing about this is that Caan has a deal where he only has to appear in half the episodes because he wants to spend more time on the mainland. So they were fine paying him the same money to do less, but not the "ethnic" supporting cast who had to work more to make up for his absences.

they deserved equal pay if not more imo. Both of them were in very huge shows and they were way more relevant at the time than the other two when this show started imo.

Havent watched this show but from what I've heard it's pretty bull shit they wouldn't pony up the money.

Daniel Dae Kim is a very good actor imo

Hollywood remains ain't shit. Asian American actors get the fucking shaft it's so sad and ridiculous. They've earned that money.

Everybody should walk off that set, if they have any morals at all.

Havent watched this show but from what I've heard it's pretty bull shit they wouldn't pony up the money.

Daniel Dae Kim is a very good actor imo

He's a great actor that's never allowed to be in anything.

If some of these AA actors were allowed to stretch themselves and showcase their chops, people would be blown away.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
they deserved equal pay if not more imo. Both of them were in very huge shows and they were way more relevant at the time than the other two when this show started imo.

Not just that, the season hit it's highest ratings in its 7th season.

Why fuck up a clearly winning formula when they just want to be equal?

Going by name recognition alone. I know of Daniel and Grace. The other two sides…I have no clue about them. I know one of them were on the last season of Entourage

That's extremely fucked up. Asian representation in Hollywood is already low enough. Refusing to give equal pay for the few roles that are available is just sickening.

Scott Caan is arguably a bigger name than both of them (he had a movie career for a while there), but a decent amount of that was probably based on nepotism, and he would still have a much better deal if he only actually has to appear in half the episodes. But there's really no reason they shouldn't be paid as much as Alex except for the execs deciding to be penny-pinching assholes. Well, that and racism, but mostly that.

Rmagnus

Banned
Not surprised at all, look at all the defenders during ghost in the shell even on gaf which I think is very progressive. It's disheartening to read at times.

Volimar

Alex and Scott where's the solidarity? Say what you want about the Big Bang Theory cast, but the whole principal cast took a pay cut so that Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch would make equal pay to the rest.

Scott Caan is not anchoring that show in any major capacity. No justification to not pay them as much, especially given that they don't get any backend money.

You have your hook in two prominent Asian actors and you're going to throw that away?

Park and Kim both have far bigger careers and had far meatier more recognizable roles than Alex fucking O'Loughlin what a joke.

devilhawk

Going by name recognition alone. I know of Daniel and Grace. The other two sides...I have no clue about them. I know one of them were on the last season of Entourage
I don't think it is right to say that about the other two actors. I doubt they had a problem with their costars making more money. The "other side" in this case is CBS management, not their costars, unless there is info that wasn't presented here.

jb1234

I can't blame them for leaving if they're made to feel that expendable. Hopefully they can find work soon as they're both quite talented.

Scott Caan is not anchoring that show in any major capacity. No justification to not pay them as much, especially given that they don't get any backend money.

You have your hook in two prominent Asian actors and you're going to throw that away?

Of course they are, can't have a minority thinking they have an equitable shot in Hollywood.

Sunster

They should pay Asians more than whites. To attract them. Remember, according to Hollywood there are not enough Asian actors to fill even the roles of characters that were written specifically as Asian.

KHarvey16

Not surprised at all, look at all the defenders during ghost in the shell even on gaf which I think is very progressive. It's disheartening to read at times.

I'm trying to connect these dots here. You're unsurprised asians get paid less on network TV because some people think it's ok for an originally Asian character to be played by a white lady? You don't think a person could take issue with the former and not the latter?

I don't think it is right to say that about the other two actors. I doubt they had a problem with their costars making more money. The "other side" in this case is CBS management, not their costars, unless their is info that wasn't presented here.

It's justifiable to point out that Kim and Park are bigger names than at least Alex O'Loughlin.

Also I anxiously wait for Caan and O'Loughlin to speak up.

Scott Caan is arguably a bigger name than both of them (he had a movie career for a while there), but a decent amount of that was probably based on nepotism, and he would still have a much better deal if he only actually has to appear in half the episodes. But there's really no reason they shouldn't be paid as much as Alex except for the execs deciding to be penny-pinching assholes. Well, that and racism, but mostly that.

Scott Caan was not as relevant when this show came out at the time as both Grace and Daniel.

and Scott Caan's name wasnt really that big. Everyone knew his face cause he was always "that one guy" in every movie and was probably the least memorable in the Ocean's movies compared to the rest of that cast.

nobody knew his name.

Kolx

They should pay Asians more than whites. To attract them. Remember, according to Hollywood there are not enough Asian actors to fill even the roles of characters that were written specifically as Asian.
But that's the point. They want to attract them because they think they can pay them less = bigger profit.

Going by name recognition alone. I know of Daniel and Grace. The other two sides...I have no clue about them. I know one of them were on the last season of Entourage

Well Scott Caan is pretty well known by virtue of being James Caan's son, and has been in a number of movies, but his career was waning before this. Other guy I have no idea.

Bullshit situation here, though. Good on them for walking.

jackdoe

Good on them not to accept the bullshit 10% to 15% lower pay. I hope they throw additional shade at the show by not showing up for the show's series finale.

Rmagnus

Banned
I'm trying to connect these dots here. You're unsurprised asians get paid less on network TV because some people think it's ok for an originally Asian character to be played by a white lady? You don't think a person could take issue with the former and not the latter?

Er yeah? Asian people don't carry much stock in Hollywood or would you prefer me to use the entertainment industry?

I only saw the first season and Caan and the other guy were clearly the two leads of it. But it must have evolved after that to be a spread out ensemble

Pretty wack move of cbs. I think if enough people make noise though they might cave

Top Bottom