• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS refuses to give Asian stars in Hawaii Five-0 equal pay, they leave

wandering

Banned
CBS is disgusting.
image.php

duckroll

I just remembered that near the end of the last season, they wrote a storyline where DDK's character got a job offer. I assume they'll just use that as a way to write off the two characters.

"They left the show because in an imaginary fictional storyline their characters got a job that paid more, while in reality the network refused to pay them what they deserve."

jdstorm

Banned
I'm looking at Wikipedia now.

They for real don't have ONE SINGLE native Hawaiian main character?

Not one?

That's just as fucked up.

Yep. Its not like Jason Momoa was busy. He had likely just finished with Stargate Atlantis at that point. (My memory is a little Hazy but i'm pretty sure both Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar lasted 5 seasons and started in the same year)

Magilla

Banned
Last racial draft, we traded Emma Stone for Tila Tequila.

Emma Stone, official Asian.

Tila Tequila, alt right something something.

I think we had to take Jon Gosselin and his wardrobe as consideration.

Hmm. I think David Stern stepped in and stopped this for "Reasons". Sorry.

Slayven

I bet it is pretty much the last season. It's weird the show never took off in syndication. I figured it would be like the NCISes, pretty much on every hour of every day

JoeM86

Had a feeling something was up when they were writing exit avenues for every character towards the end of this past season.

I had no idea it was this though. Yeesh. Not cool, CBS.

BobLoblaw

Banned
CBS is the whitest channel on tv. How many minorities have had starring roles in shows on that network? Now how many shows have they produced where the leads were white? Hollywood needs to get it's shit together when it comes to minorities and women.

I'm pretty sure if we went to many major companies we'd find that we Asians get paid less than our white counterparts. So while this is super shitty I've kinda gotten used to it.

xrnzaaas

Disgusting, I dropped the show a long time ago, but I always felt like they were all equals in terms of the character importance.

thats a real bummer. I haven't watched in 2 or 3 seasons now but both felt like really core team members and it seems so dumb to drop them over 10-15%. I can imagine a lot of Hawaiians are gonna be mad too, not a good look for the show especially since it depends a lot on Hawaii funding and tax breaks as I understand it.

I'm sure they will bring in a bunch of cheaper cast members, probably even cast some native Hawaiians, but its lame to so easily dump two people who were really key in making the show so popular.

DiscoJer

The original Hawaii 5-0 used actual Hawaiian actors (besides Steve and Dan-O)

Kam Fong, the original Chin Ho Kelly was born there (and actually Chinese ancestry, not Korean)

Harry Endo was born in Colorado, but lived in Hawaii. Apparently he worked in a bank and someone cast him as the forensic scientist.

Zulu (real name Gilbert Francis Lani Damian Kauhi) who played Kono was Hawaian (again, not Korean like in the new show)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I bet it is pretty much the last season. It's weird the show never took off in syndication. I figured it would be like the NCISes, pretty much on every hour of every day
Apparently it does well overseas, perhaps because of the setting. That's what keeps it going, since CBS pretty much treats it as a show they air out of obligation more than anything else. lol

The original Hawaii 5-0 used actual Hawaiian actors (besides Steve and Dan-O)

Kam Fong, the original Chin Ho Kelly was born there (and actually Chinese ancestry, not Korean)

Harry Endo was born in Colorado, but lived in Hawaii. Apparently he worked in a bank and someone cast him as the forensic scientist.

Zulu (real name Gilbert Francis Lani Damian Kauhi) who played Kono was Hawaian (again, not Korean like in the new show)
I think all the recurring extras, like the cops, are Hawaiians.

Damn, that's pretty shit. :/ Haven't watched the show for a season because it got old, but I liked the cast and this is pretty fucked up. Kinda wonder if the other cast members tried to fight for them at all...

Curious what Kim is going to do. He moved to Hawaii for Lost and the very next TV season after it ended he got the gig on 5-0.

And it'll be presented as a bad thing, a betrayal
Nah, they always go all in on sentimentality when someone leaves. Outright saccharine.

Korey

I want to say that if you were to ask the average American, more people would recognize Daniel Dae Kim over Scott Caan or Alex Whatever.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's amusing, since Daniel Day Kim and Grace Park are literally the only cast members who I could be bothered to recognize out of a line-up.

I want to say that if you were to ask the average American, more people would recognize Daniel Dae Kim over Scott Caan or Alex Whatever.

My mom watched the show. She recognized Alex's face from things, she knew who Scott was from the Ocean's movies, and she knew who Daniel was because he was "that fine ass man from Lost." She's absolutley correct though.

ckfy63a

Very disappointing; I am a huge fan of the original 1968-80 run of Hawaii Five-O, but have never watched the latest incarnation of the show. Sad that a deal couldn't be reached with the Asian stars; while original Five-O recurring cast members would rotate out from time-to-time, there were always 1 or 2 Asian/native Hawaiian members of Five-O, and the show was better for it. Jack Lord (the original McGarrett), who loved Hawaii and her people and always advocated for the hiring of local Hawaiian actors and actresses for Five-O characters, is probably spinning in his grave.

BigDug13

These weren't no name actors. Lost, Battlestar Gallactica? I get that one of the main white guys was in Ocean's 11 series but that's really it. Shameful to not pay prominent Asian actors who have carried the water of main roles in multi-season shows what they deserve.

Edit - I also appreciate the stand they're taking. They could have easily accepted the slightly less but still lucrative offer but said "fuck that noise" as a way to leverage some change in Hollywood.

NZerker12

Fucking CBS you don't screw over Johnny Gat. Seriously Daniel Day Kim is awesome how can they not pay him equally.

Fucking Hollywood.

devilhawk

CBS is the whitest channel on tv. How many minorities have had starring roles in shows on that network? Now how many shows have they produced where the leads were white? Hollywood needs to get it's shit together when it comes to minorities and women.
The only show that I could think of that was on CBS for a decent time was The Jeffersons...

There has to be more, right?

Honestly it depends on how they get paid, both of them have far less screentime than O'Loughlin and Cann(despite Cann being absent entire episodes.)

If they are out though im done with the show.
O'Loughlin was already leaving at the end of this season as well.

danthefan

I've never watched this show (and somehow I doubt I ever will), were the Asian actors as prominent in the show as the white ones? Pretty fucked up if so. Good on them for leaving, I'm sure it's not easy to walk away from work.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Given that the MO of the American medias MO is generally all about the emasculation of Asian males and stereotyping of Asians, I can't say that I'm surprised.

Top Bottom