• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS refuses to give Asian stars in Hawaii Five-0 equal pay, they leave

Eidan

Scott Caan is arguably a bigger name than both of them (he had a movie career for a while there), but a decent amount of that was probably based on nepotism, and he would still have a much better deal if he only actually has to appear in half the episodes. But there's really no reason they shouldn't be paid as much as Alex except for the execs deciding to be penny-pinching assholes. Well, that and racism, but mostly that.
I legit had no clue who Scott Caan was. Had to look him up. What movie career are you referencing?

Seriously

And Park was one of the most important characters on Battlestar Galactica.

And Masi Oka was a lead on another network hit on a network that hadn't had a blockbuster hit since.

I just don't get it, these guys have earned their money. Nobody is watching this stuff because of "generic white detective x", they watch procedural's for the entire cast.

At least that's why I've always watched them and I fucking love that shit.

And Daniel was on Lost , and had one of the more compelling stories

Old man I just said that.

Volimar

Masi is also just an all around great guy.

I only saw the first season and Caan and the other guy were clearly the two leads of it. But it must have evolved after that to be a spread out ensemble

Pretty wack move of cbs. I think if enough people make noise though they might cave

It's still mostly those two, but the others are in almost every episode and a couple times a season they'll have stories focused on them. I wonder if they'll kill them offscreen or have them transferred out.

I legit had no clue who Scott Caan was. Had to look him up. What movie career are you referencing?

Dude, you do not recognize one of the leads to the David Arquette Wrestling vehicle Ready to Rumble (which is a shockingly an okay movie)

(also he was in Ocean's 11 as a fairly memorable character paired with a hilariously young Casey Affleck, Gone in 60 seconds as the fuck up brother, also his dad is an extremely famous actor)

Asian Americans unfortunately need an ally in the system, because nobody is looking out for them. It reminds me of when a Black actor (can't remember which one) commented about how shocked Tyler Perry was in how much a lot of the Black actors were getting paid in Hollywood.

Honestly out of the whole cast, I think vastly more viewers would recognize Jin from Lost than whatever crap O'Loughlin and Caan have been in.

Stasis

I used to like this show as the only "detective/drama procedural" type I'd watch.

I kinda lost interest after season 4. I was planning on getting back to it but this makes me not want to. They were huge parts of why I liked the show to begin with.

Slayven

I can not stand the lead's secret family of super soldiers bullshit. Worse then the other dude's family drama

Sunster

A show set in Hawaii starring no characters of Asian descent - THAT MAKES SENSE RIGHT!?

lol what are you talking about they showed plenty of native Hawaiians
south-park-season-16-11-going-native-kenny-butters-ceremony-hawaii-guide-list.jpg

Grimsen

Fucking sucks. Disgusting move by CBS. They were my favorite two actors on the show.

I hope they manage to get leading roles with great salaries, they deserve it (and I want to see them in stuff!).

Asian Americans unfortunately need an ally in the system, because nobody is looking out for them. It reminds me of when a Black actor (can't remember which one) commented about how shocked Tyler Perry was in how much a lot of the Black actors were getting paid in Hollywood.

As fucked up as it is. And I hate to admit this cause his Jesus nonsense and what a shit person he is bothers me to no end.

Without Tyler Perry, we're not looking at a Black led, majority Black cast big budget superhero movie.

He was HUGE in opening the door and showing it was viable to general audiences. And I will forever respect him for that.

Masi is also just an all around great guy.

It's still mostly those two, but the others are in almost every episode and a couple times a season they'll have stories focused on them. I wonder if they'll kill them offscreen or have them transferred out.

Watch the studio force the story to be they betrayed the 5-0 for more money somewhere else

I'm looking at Wikipedia now.

They for real don't have ONE SINGLE native Hawaiian main character?

Not one?

That's just as fucked up.

Well Scott Caan is pretty well known by virtue of being James Caan's son, and has been in a number of movies, but his career was waning before this. Other guy I have no idea.

Bullshit situation here, though. Good on them for walking.

Yea sorry but I honestly don't know either of them outside of that last season of Entourage. I know Daniel from Lost and a few Korean movies, and I know Grace from Battlestar Galactica

duckroll

Honestly I don't understand the rational here at all. Surely they can see that the reason Hawaii Five-0 has been running for as long as it has is because it offers something different in terms of the diverse cast. The setting and the Asian team members gave it something different. No one is watching the show for the Subway ads.

Can't fucking pay them more? I don't get it. Sigh.

Honestly I don't understand the rational here at all. Surely they can see that the reason Hawaii Five-0 has been running for as long as it has is because it offers something different in terms of the diverse cast. The setting and the Asian team members gave it something different. No one is watching the show for the Subway ads.

There are legit 15 other solid to good police procedural's at any given time going on that people could watch.

You watch these things for the ensemble, it's not just removing the AA leads that's the issue, you're gutting two of the MAIN CAST, two of, from what I'm reading, the more likable and beloved characters.

That's just stupid, that's bad management and bad production.

Volimar

That's assuming they won't replace them with other diverse actors who are desperate for the work.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It is pretty much a 4 way tie, when i was last watching it. Park's character had a huge multi season arc dealing with the Yazuka

Ah, okay. It's bullshit then.

I mean it'd still be bullshit if they weren't because pay discrepancy on TV shows is ridiculous (like how much Fox earned on Lodt when each week literally focused on a different character.)

Goofalo

CBS will just recast the characters with white actors
aloha-tra-pic-b.jpg

Last racial draft, we traded Emma Stone for Tila Tequila.

Emma Stone, official Asian.

Tila Tequila, alt right something something.

I think we had to take Jon Gosselin and his wardrobe as consideration.

As fucked up as it is. And I hate to admit this cause his Jesus nonsense and what a shit person he is bothers me to no end.

Without Tyler Perry, we're not looking at a Black led, majority Black cast big budget superhero movie.

He was HUGE in opening the door and showing it was viable to general audiences. And I will forever respect him for that.

Tyler Perry did a lot of things, but I don't think a Black Panther film existing has anything to do with him. Black films have been making bank for a while.

Despite all the major Hollywood films Taraji P. Henson has starred in, in her book she commented how she got paid by far the most starring in a Tyler Perry Film.

Rmagnus

Banned
Hollywood is damn nasty.

Life is harsh for most people, it's not just Hollywood. I imagined with more information at our fingertips than any point in our history the human race would be more accepting... Maybe it's just me but things just seem to be getting worse.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just remembered that near the end of the last season, they wrote a storyline where DDK's character got a job offer. I assume they'll just use that as a way to write off the two characters.

Despite all the major Hollywood films Taraji P. Henson has starred in, in her book she commented how she got paid by far the most starring in a Tyler Perry Film.

And he pays people pennies on the dollar to keep his shit cheap and cost effective.

Think about that, Taraji P. Henson, who studied theater at fucking Howard, who was in 12 major motion pictures before being in a D-grade Perry movie even by his standards made on a budget of less than $10M dollars.

Made more money doing THAT than all her work combined.

That's how fucked up Hollywood is for people of color, shit's beyond disgusting.

ZeroX03

Banned
After seven years (contracts expiring) both actors knew that playing hard ball could mean getting cut, and IIRC CBS has a history of not negotiating. Not too familiar with the show but apparently both characters were in potentially series exiting circumstances too. For an 8 season show, this move isn't actually uncommon, but they probably should've pay equality years ago.

Dae Kim has the show he co-created on ABC, he can probably shift to working on that full time.

And Scott Caan is the least memorable main cast member in the Ocean's films.

Dae Kim was a lead POV character on one of the most popular network shows of ALL TIME.

You can't pay THAT DUDE?

Really? It was big in the cultural discussion of the time, but in sheer viewers it's not even close to one of the most popular of all time.

Top Bottom