• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS refuses to give Asian stars in Hawaii Five-0 equal pay, they leave

My friend has tried to argue this is because they were in support roles. I have tried to argue that they had been elevated past that, but they say that this still comes down to a dispute over their relegated role.
I don't really know how to argue this, and neither of us have watched it, so I actually cannot support my claim.
Uh, any ideas, or insight that I may have missed in the thread?

Main roles but far less screentime.

Wereroku

They didn't really respond to the controversy because that would be implicitly addressing the race aspect of it.
I'm confused the insider was trying to defend it by saying Kim's salary was almost the same as the white dudes so why not just bump it up to parity then? If it was so close why not just drop a couple thousand more to get a fan favorite back.

I'm confused the insider was trying to defend it by saying Kim's salary was almost the same as the white dudes so why not just bump it up to parity then? If it was so close why not just drop a couple thousand more to get a fan favorite back.

I could argue that if O'Loughlin really is leaving at the end of this season, then this is the last season, and why spend another few million on the show (the increase for the two actors over the course of the season) when it will barely affect the ratings and won't affect the money you get in syndication. You'd be doing it to be nice to the actors, and maybe as a measure of fairness, and not necessarily because it makes business sense to do so.

They didn't really respond to the controversy because that would be implicitly addressing the race aspect of it.

That's IF race played a part of it, and even if it did, y'know damn well they would never acknowledge that because that's a lawsuit waiting for CBS to lose.

As long as the NCIS casts are happy, it doesn't really matter what happens on these other shows.

Apparently when Cote de Pablo left a couple years ago, that was a similar contract dispute (she wasn't get paid at the same level as Harmon or Weatherly).

Camwi

He ain't the only person from Lost.

1012-redux-001.jpg

Are they regulars? I don't follow the show.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The showrunner has basically decided to take CBS' side on this with the "Well, they offered them a lot" nonsense.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/hawaii-five-o-daniel-dae-kim-grace-park-peter-lenkov-1202488921/

Both actors chose not to extend their contracts. CBS was extremely generous and proactive in their renegotiation talks. So much so, the actors were getting unprecedented raises, but in the end they chose to move on.

So even the showrunner doesn't understand the issue. They didn't want a generous raise. They wanted equal pay.

norm9

From Steve Yuen interview-

I think a lot of the narrative these days has been about how much it’s skewed against us (Asian Americans) because the system and the people are biased against us, and that’s very true. But I think one narrative that’s always missing is, “Where have we contributed to that?” Where are we as Asian-Americans right now and how have we contributed either to that perception or the solution? I think we’re at a great, healthy place right now where people are calling out BS when they see it. We also have to be realistic about ourselves and say, are we, as an entire sub-section of America, representing ourselves in the best way we thought we were? Sometimes you can rely on the problem, as if to say, “This is why I’m not getting something,” and not look at the part that’s like, “Are you ready to get that thing? Are you prepared to get that? Have you been working hard to get that?” Because yes, do some white actors or other actors just show up without any prior experience and get the part? Yeah, it happens. Does it happen for us? No, very rarely, if at all. But we’re also sitting in a very specific place. We’ve been here for generations, but we’ve really only been here for two to three generations. We’re talking about the last wave of people. We can go into the history and talk about how many waves there’ve been, and there’ve been many. But you and I sit here as second-generation Koreans.

Grace and Daniel saw bullshit and called it out. Constance Wu is always calling things out. I'm glad more and more Asians in Hollywood are speaking their mind when bs comes up.

firelogic

The showrunner has basically decided to take CBS' side on this with the "Well, they offered them a lot" nonsense.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/hawaii-five-o-daniel-dae-kim-grace-park-peter-lenkov-1202488921/

So even the showrunner doesn't understand the issue. They didn't want a generous raise. They wanted equal pay.

So the source claims Daniel Dae Kim was offered $195,000 an episode vs O'Loughlin and Caan's $200,000
and Grace Park was trying to negotiate for only half a season worth of episodes while getting a massive hike.

I can side with Park on her end however I am with CBS on Kim's.

jackdoe

So the source claims Daniel Dae Kim was offered $195,000 an episode vs O'Loughlin and Caan's $200,000
and Grace Park was trying to negotiate for only half a season worth of episodes while getting a massive hike.

Why would you be on CBS's side on Kim's? $5000 per episode or about $12500 per year would break the bank for CBS? This is of course ignoring the fact that sources on Kim's side say it wasn't that close.

If true that just makes it worse because it shows it wasn't about money, they just didn't want him to make the same as the other two.
Why would you be on CBS's side on Kim's? $5000 per episode or about $12500 per year would break the bank for CBS? This is of course ignoring the fact that sources on Kim's side say it wasn't that close.

Daniel Dae Kim has like half the screentime on average.

Park on the other hand is a lot more involved lately and is asking for half the episodes, CBS could have caved on that.

Isn't Caan in only half the episodes for the entire season?
Thats why im on Park's side.
However Caan even being out 8+ episodes i'd still say has noticeably more screentime than Kim in total.

I watch every episode and its literally been my biggest issue forever, I absolutely love DDK and was the reason I noticed the series premier.

Zhengi

Thats why im on Park's side.
However Caan even being out 8+ episodes i'd still say has noticeably more screentime than Kim in total.

So this makes me wonder if screen time is that important, then why doesn't CBS just pay him and give him more screen time? Seems like a simple solution and gives an Asian actor equal pay to the White actors.

So this makes me wonder if screen time is that important, then why doesn't CBS just pay him and give him more screen time? Seems like a simple solution and gives an Asian actor equal pay to the White actors.

Over Caan idk why they haven't, his character is hardly relevant and only serves as a counter to O'Loughlin's.
They should have shuffled Kim and Park into Caan's seat far earlier and more often(besides more starring episodes and arcs)

O'Loughlin was always going to get the most though.
show completely revolves around his character, he is in nearly every episode of 7 seasons and is in nearly every action scene in the series.

Also part of why I support Park, she is right there at #3 in screentime but actually relevant vs Caan's character. Her character also has a lot of range.

Chi McBride is pretty new coming in during S4 and they immediately incorporated him well, he also gets loads of screentime and probably more than Kim as well.

Are you really expecting the showrunner to go against the network that is still currently paying him to run the show? And possibly burn a bridge if he has any show ideas he wants to pitch after this one?

LOL Exactly what I was thinking.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the showrunner is/was all for them getting equal pay. But they wouldn't be the ones that set the budget for the show (and the salaries as part of that), the network/production company would be handling that. And CBS has a history of being hardline negotiators.

Wereroku

Over Caan idk why they haven't, his character is hardly relevant and only serves as a counter to O'Loughlin's.
They should have shuffled Kim and Park into Caan's seat far earlier and more often(besides more starring episodes and arcs)

O'Loughlin was always going to get the most though.
show completely revolves around his character, he is in nearly every episode of 7 seasons and is in nearly every action scene in the series.

Also part of why I support Park, she is right there at #3 in screentime but actually relevant vs Caan's character. Her character also has a lot of range.

Chi McBride is pretty new coming in during S4 and they immediately incorporated him well, he also gets loads of screentime and probably more than Kim as well.

Apparently Caan and O'Loughlin get points in addition to their salary per episode so even if they gave Kim the same salary they would both be making significantly more then him apparently. It seems like he wanted salary parity as a principle more then he wanted the show itself. If they were really less that 5k per episode away why let him walk from a successful show.

jdstorm

Banned
There are no Black equivalents for Sam Worthington or Jai Courtney, etc... Quit with the false equivalencies.

Sure there is. There is usually an equivalent of everyone, Hollywood is full of people who are virtually identical. They may not have had the same opportunities as a Sam Worthington (in fairness though virtually no actors get as lucky as Sam Worthington) but that doesn't mean guys like Brandon Jay McLaren or Rainbow Franks don't exist.

aznpxdd

Sure there is. There is usually an equivalent of everyone, Hollywood is full of people who are virtually identical. They may not have had the same opportunities as a Sam Worthington (in fairness though virtually no actors get as lucky as Sam Worthington) but that doesn't mean guys like Brandon Jay McLaren or Rainbow Franks don't exist.

How can you not see the irony? No one in the mainstream knows who the fuck the last 2 people are.

There is no black equivalent to Sam Worthington because the first requirement to being a Sam Worthington is to be white, and Hollywood set it up that way.

Why do they deserve equal pay if they’re not featured as prominently as O'Loughlin?

People in this thread have repeatedly said they’re not featured as much as the top earner so why should they get paid as much?

DeathyBoy

Banned

I'm sorry, how are you with CBS on Kim?

If they could afford 195, they could afford 200. Not rounding it up does send a message. Like how the fuck can you straight face offer him nearly as much as the white guys, but less by 5,000. That screams "you're not at their level but we're gonna pacify you anyway to shut you up."

RedAssedApe

Banned
weird stance to take for a measly $5k per episode...that's kind of chump change no? doesn't seem worth the bad publicly and potential loss of viewership

I'm sorry, how are you with CBS on Kim?

If they could afford 195, they could afford 200. Not rounding it up does send a message. Like how the fuck can you straight face offer him nearly as much as the white guys, but less by 5,000. That screams "you're not at their level but we're gonna pacify you anyway to shut you up."

Not even counting what the offered bump totals, that additional $5,000 is another $120,000 lumped on to a show thats about to die regardless.
Having watched every episode I don't think Kim deserves near what the others make despite being my favorite of the cast.

Park I think has a case based on screentime alone, was just asking for a deal similar to Caan's and is only about an additional $50,000 total.

This is also ruling out the creators giving equal screentime which they haven't figured out in 7 seasons.
Because if it was up to me the characters would have been balanced a long time ago and all get paid equally.
(though I don't think I would have had the foresight to introduce a Chicago cop in the 4th season who immediately becomes a favorite as both the heart and often comic relief of the show.)

That reasoning would only be acceptable if Caan wasn't paid just as much.

I don't think Caan actually deserves it but even missing all the episodes he does he still gets the 2nd most screentime.
And going by the supposed deal, him making $200,000 an episode could actually be a lower expense than far lower paid people with more episodes.

Honestly makes me wonder what Chi McBride makes.

$5,000 is in no way about costs and is in every way about bullshit studio politics. That shit happens all the time.

In terms of the budget, it's about a 0.17% increase (5-0 costs $3m per episode, though I'm not sure if that's before or after factoring in the substantial tax breaks they get from Hawaii), essentially a rounding error. They were clearly willing to pay essentially the same amount, the remaining differential is entirely about sending a message. It's how these things work.

F31 Leopard

That surprised me so I went to take a look:

Per wikipedia est 2015, looks like 27% are white, 37% are Asian, 10% are Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander, 23% are two or more races, etc.

So... looks like Hawaii is predominantly Asian, but that's a lot less native Hawaiian / other Pacific Islander than I thought.

Yes Hawaii is predominantly Asian. I'm from Hawaii. The reason why Asians are the majority is because of the sugar plantation era. Japanese, Chinese , Korean and Filipinos immigrated to work in the sugar cane fields. Hawaii pidgin English is basically an Asian/Polynesian creole language. It consists of broken English with a lot of Asian and Hawaiian loan words. Japanese culture is also a big part of modern Hawaii culture since they were the largest ethnic group of the Asian population. Filipinos recently surpassed them. Side note, noticed I said "Hawaii" culture instead of Hawaiian. It's because anything not native Hawaiian we refer to it as "Hawaii" or "local". Here in Hawaii anything not native we never use Hawaiian as a demonym. It's just easier that way for us.

jdstorm

Banned
How can you not see the irony? No one in the mainstream knows who the fuck the last 2 people are.

That was also true about Sam Worthington before Avatar. His two biggest roles were in independant Australian films with the equivalent audience of a niche Sci Fi show. I mistakenly thought we were talking about wooden actors who gave equivalent peformances.

If we are just talking about being lucky and getting cast in a billion dollar blockbuster then no one is Sam Worthington. He's Unique. Only 3 new IP's currently reside in the top 20 grossing films of all time. Avatar, Titanic and Frozen.

If you use inflation adjusted metrics then a case can be made for Mark Hamil (Star Wars), Vivien Leigh (Gone with the Wind) and ET.

Still that the past 100 years of Cinema have only produced 2 Sam Worthington's and an anamatronic robot Sam Worthington should tell you a lot about how unusual Sam Worthington's career has actually been.

So a few episodes into the new season and the next episode preview is hinting
the main Hawaiian in the cast being killed off

seems obviously a classic misdirection but it really looks like CBS is welcoming even more controversy.

So a few episodes into the new season and the next episode preview is hinting
the main Hawaiian in the cast being killed off

seems obviously a classic misdirection but it really looks like CBS is welcoming even more controversy.
Who?

Kono's husband
Sgt. Duke Lukela
Kamekona

Because they all are part of the main cast now.

Top Bottom