• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS refuses to give Asian stars in Hawaii Five-0 equal pay, they leave

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If I had to guess, it's not just a new TV series, but possibly a new magazine spread/article to do promotion for said new series. I'd have to actually check back Maxim/FHM-type magazines/covers to test that hypothesis, though, and I kinda don't feel like it.

Typically, don't they corresponded with a new TV show too? Park and Hefner Maxim adds were legendary at the time.

Grace Park beats both, probably because she's an attractive woman.
I mean just look at the scenes she gets on a nearly weekly basis.
tumblr_oeq6fnXtKF1rvp4o7o5_540.gif
tumblr_nt271xQO3s1r2rs8yo3_400.gif
wait not those...

I mean just look at the scenes she gets on a nearly weekly basis.
tumblr_oeq6fnXtKF1rvp4o7o5_540.gif

wait not that..

I'm not saying that I think the guys are better actors than she is. I'm saying that I don't think acting talent really matters when it comes to Google Trends. If it did, then Cate Blanchett and Tilda Swinton would be higher than Scarlett Johansson and Jennifer Lawrence (hint: they aren't).

I'm not saying that I think the guys are better actors than she is. I'm saying that I don't think acting talent really matters when it comes to Google Trends. If it did, then Cate Blanchett and Tilda Swinton would be higher than Scarlett Johansson and Jennifer Lawrence (hint: they aren't).

Nah I was joking, with all the surfer/bikini scenes she has on a weekly basis i'd be surprised if she wasn't from just that alone.

Isn't Hawaii like predominantly Asian? As in, more Asians than whites?

Shouldn't the show reflect this too? I wonder where all the "but but accuracy in media" people are, the ones that pop up when we talk about diversity and they go "but the show should represent the surroundings"

Lol, we had a decade of the whitest NYC anyone has ever seen on TV and people loved it (not necessarily for that reason, but still). They'll find a way to justify it

f8bf5a4f-0745-45e6-b57a-3cc95f1bd3cf.jpg

I was wondering if Park was leaving the show initially because her character left the island during the last season finale, which seemed like she was being written out, but I didn't expect this.

Fuck CBS for treating DDK and Park like this, they were main cast members as much as the other two and should've been compensated as such.

Joni

DIdn't Castle also end because ABC wouldn't give Stana Katic equal pay?

No, it ended because the ratings sucked. The producers tried setting up a reboot with Castle and his kid, but without Kate. Considering the bad relationship between Fillion and Katic, show really couldn't have continued with both of them. They did quite a few shots where Kate and Castle were talking but the two clearly weren't in the same scene.

I don't think checking for this data with romanized names gives any useful information.

Scott vs Daniel in South korea (in english and in korean results)

Not counting with the fact that korea has its own search engine Naver, which is more used than googles over there

Daniel already beats Scott romanized in South Korea (which is to be expected since Daniel is South Korean, at least according to Google), this just increases the lead. Though I would be interested in seeing the Japanese results non-romanized, and maybe a Daniel vs Grace in South Korea non-romanized (she still beats him there with their names in English).

This sucks a lot. I saw the first season of this show and I thought every character was awesome. I hope this gets rectified but if not, I hope Daniel and Grace get on good shows.

Seriously, this is really sad to see Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park go like this...

What are the chances that this is going to be resolved between the actors and CBS before the filming of the next season?

Seriously, this is really sad to see Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park go like this...

What are the chances that this is going to be resolved between the actors and CBS before the filming of the next season?

Zero. The execs have already put out a statement, and have moved on. It's obvious they thought their characters weren't worth the extra cost, therefore they were expendable.

Serious question: if you're white, why would you want to see a non-white person on your TV more than a white person?

To be real, I find this level of honesty refreshing. Despite all the replies saying "because I'm not racist" blah blah; the truth is, for the majority of white people who produce, write & cast most mainstream mass media, no or less people of color is obviously the escapist fantasy that they want to fantasize about.

How many games like Fable or shows like Game of Thrones where completely imaginary beings exists but for "historical accuracy" reasons, they are few if any people of color?

These artists sit down with a blank page, the license to create & depict anything, so they imagine something fantastic like "dragons are real" and in this same fantasy land they create from scratch, all the people are white. Clearly, in these fantasy worlds that so many enjoy, part of the fantasy is little to no people of color. So even if the viewers don't necessarily have the fantasy of less POC's, it's such an integral part of most of the programming we consume... people are programmed to see white people as default and people of color as background NPCs, if even that

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
To be real, I find this level of honesty refreshing. Despite all the replies saying "because I'm not racist" blah blah; the truth is, for the majority of white people who produce, write & cast most mainstream mass media, no or less people of color is obviously the escapist fantasy that they want to fantasize about.

How many games like Fable or shows like Game of Thrones where completely imaginary beings exists but for "historical accuracy" reasons, they are few if any people of color?

These artists sit down with a blank page, the license to create & depict anything, so they imagine something fantastic like "dragons are real" and in this same fantasy land they create from scratch, all the people are white. Clearly, in these fantasy worlds that so many enjoy, part of the fantasy is little to no people of color. So even if the viewers don't necessarily have the fantasy of less POC's, it's such an integral part of most of the programming we consume... people are programmed to see white people as default and people of color as background NPCs, if even that

Exactly.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm very confused. SparkleMotion asked a "serious question" and it was followed by 2 pages of people replying. But he never came back into the thread to get his answers.

I didn't watch past the first couple of seasons but aren't Caan and O'Loughlin ostensibly the leads?

In that case I wouldn't think a 10-15% discrepancy is out of the ordinary.

I mean, considering the show's success it seems silly not to meet their demands but I'd hardly call this "disgusting".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I didn't watch past the first couple of seasons but aren't Caan and O'Loughlin ostensibly the leads?

In that case I wouldn't think a 10-15% discrepancy is out of the ordinary.
It turned into an ensemble, particularly since Caan became part time. I would say Chi McBride is basically a main member of the ensemble too.

I was honestly surprised (shouldn't have been, I know) to see just how little Sung Kang was able to capitalize off of the Fast & Furious movies. The guy has got charisma to spare, and the best he can do now is supporting roles on low-profile TV shows. I'm sure he's glad to be working, but what the hell Hollywood?

Speaking of, its kind of weird how almost nobody in those films ever got much a career boost outside of them, Dwayne Johnson and Vin excepted of course. Just kind of funny how there's this pool of non-white men who are in an enormous global hit every two years and they all might as well be in witness protection except for those films. Just kind of funny, aint it?

norm9

I was honestly surprised (shouldn't have been, I know) to see just how little Sung Kang was able to capitalize off of the Fast & Furious movies. The guy has got charisma to spare, and the best he can do now is supporting roles on low-profile TV shows. I'm sure he's glad to be working, but what the hell Hollywood?

Sung was on the Gang Related, which lasted one season on Fox. Too bad because it was really good. Costarred Rza, one dude from Hostel, and a couple famous Latino character actors.

And the show ended on a cliffhanger. Fuuuuu

Kyrios

Dude this sucks. My two favorite characters in the show :(

Just cancel it now...

I was really looking forward to see what ass Kono was going to kick after that cliffhanger last season.

Speaking of, its kind of weird how almost nobody in those films ever got much a career boost outside of them, Dwayne Johnson and Vin excepted of course. Just kind of funny how there's this pool of non-white men who are in an enormous global hit every two years and they all might as well be in witness protection except for those films. Just kind of funny, aint it?

The industry isn't really made for non White actors, and in particularly Asian Male actors.

Syriel

The industry isn't really made for non White actors, and in particularly Asian Male actors.

US industry.

There is plenty of movie and TV content with Asian actors if you take time to search it out. Netflix has plenty, including current-to-air series content.

The problem is that most Americans are too lazy to watch anything with subtitles, so it gets ignored.

US industry.

There is plenty of movie and TV content with Asian actors if you take time to search it out. Netflix has plenty, including current-to-air series content.

The problem is that most Americans are too lazy to watch anything with subtitles, so it gets ignored.

Obviously.

I'm on an American board speaking about a Hollywood show that's made and airs on an American network television channel with Asian American/Western actors.

The industry I'm referring to is already implied without me saying it.

It's nauseating seeing non Americans constantly point out the obvious as if anything else could possibly be mistaken for my comment.

Zero315

Banned
Sung was on the Gang Related, which lasted one season on Fox. Too bad because it was really good. Costarred Rza, one dude from Hostel, and a couple famous Latino character actors.

And the show ended on a cliffhanger. Fuuuuu
Sung Kang is currently in the new season of Power and has several movies in development, including a crowd funded movie with Robbie and Stephen Amell.

You want to see sad?

http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/bobby-lee-and-steven-yeun-auditioned-for-5-lines.html

The comic Bobby Lee, best known for his stint on madTV, talked about running into Steven Yeun, who plays Glenn on The Walking Dead, when they were both auditioning for a bit part. ”I was auditioning for a movie, a stoner movie. It was five lines. Of course I'm going to read for that movie, because I've really got nothing else going on," Lee said on TigerBelly, the podcast he does with his girlfriend Khalyla Kuhn. ”I'm sitting there with these five lines. They're okay lines, and then a kid walks in, who's auditioning for the same part, and it's Steven Yeun," said Lee. ”Now, I looked at him, and I go, After your audition, I'm going to yell at you outside. So I took Steven Yeun out there. I didn't yell at him, but I went, How do you not get an offer?" Lee recalls, ”He's like, Dude I gotta read."

Hollywood hates Asian men

US industry.

This pisses me off to no end. It's probably why we'll forever have to experience the classic Jackie Chan movies with those shitty dubs instead of subs. Fucking lazy fucks

Syriel

Obviously.

I'm on an American board speaking about a Hollywood show that's made and airs on an American network television channel with Asian American/Western actors.

The industry I'm referring to is already implied without me saying it.

It's nauseating seeing non Americans constantly point out the obvious as if anything else could possibly be mistaken for my comment.

You shouldn't assume nationality. :p

It is a valid issue from an American perspective because content is there, but people would rather ignore it, and complain about not having any English content, than to consume existing content and show that there is a demand for it.

The shows are on Netflix. The movies hit the big screen every month at the local AMC.

But so few people watch them. Even fewer talk about them.

Hollywood shows are big because they are consumed globally. If everyone who complained about the lack of shows with Asian actors would consume even a fraction of the existing content (and there is good content), we would see more of it.

That doesn't excuse the CBS situation, but it is frustrating as part of the larger context as people (sadly) are voting with their dollars.

You shouldn't assume nationality. :p

It is a valid issue from an American perspective because content is there, but people would rather ignore it, and complain about not having any English content, than to consume existing content and show that there is a demand for it.

The shows are on Netflix. The movies hit the big screen every month at the local AMC.

But so few people watch them. Even fewer talk about them.

Hollywood shows are big because they are consumed globally. If everyone who complained about the lack of shows with Asian actors would consume even a fraction of the existing content (and there is good content), we would see more of it.

That doesn't excuse the CBS situation, but it is frustrating as part of the larger context as people (sadly) are voting with their dollars.

Y'know, I thought after I made post, watch this person be American. LOL

I don't think that helps Asian American/Western actors working in America if Americans consumed international films and TV at a higher rate. If anything it would only raise the profiles of those international actors, and give them more value when they came to Hollywood. We already import Asian actors from other countries to star in American films and TV, and I'm certain despite the representation it still hurts the few opportunities Asian American/Western actors barely have.

Syriel

Y'know, I thought after I made post, watch this person be American. LOL

I don't think that helps Asian American/Western actors working in America if Americans consumed international films and TV at a higher rate. If anything it would only raise the profiles of those international actors, and give them more value when they came to Hollywood. We already import Asian actors from other countries to star in American films and TV, and I'm certain despite the representation it still hurts the few opportunities Asian American/Western actors barely have.

No harm, no foul. I think it's an interesting discussion.

I guess I would disagree with you on the point of it being a bad thing. I would look at the amount of English content that America consumes and point out that we already have a number of Australian, British, and Canadian shows (to use as an example) that we consume. There are also plenty of foreign actors from those three countries that act in Hollywood.

If the Internet and streaming video has done anything, it has lowered barriers to content across the globe. In the past few years I've watched shows in multiple languages. Some were so-so, but others were amazing. A decade ago, I would have had zero chance of watching those shows because they would have never even had a path to my TV.

I would argue that if Chinese, Korean, and Japanese (live action) TV shows were part of the popular consciousness in America, then that would raise the demand for more content starring Asian American stars. Yes, there would be crossover, with some foreign actors getting starring roles, but there would also be American born actors getting cast. No one complained that a "foreigner" was headlining House after all.

Maybe I'm off my rocker, but it seems like a good way to build demand.

Who knows, maybe we should all just start GAF OTs on the better shows and get to watching. The discussion might draw in others. :)

Top Bottom