• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

Meier

Something I posted on Facebook on 11/30/09. This was a few days after the Gators smacked us around again and Bobby being forced out was finally underway.

11_545351119873_8339_n.jpg

The night before our crushing defeat at the 2006 Orange Bowl. Stupid missed kicks.. :(

The cold hard truth. I sat there in the stands until the final tick of the clock as FSU was shut out by Wake Forest 30-0 less than a year after the above photo with one of my life's heroes. The stadium was almost empty -- the number of fans had dwindled to less than 20,000 by all accounts -- but I sat there screaming, pleading. I couldn't believe my eyes... my worst nightmare was happening before me. FSU was going to get shut out at home. By hapless Wake Forest. With nothing left to lose in the 4th quarter, we punted the ball after a 3 and out. Twice.

I waited for Bobby to react following the game. Nothing. I fumed, ranted and raved -- Jeff Bowden whose head I had been calling for for years had helped us reach rock bottom. But there were no repercussions to be had. FSU was 5-5 but Bobby hadn't blinked an eye. No one's job was on the line apparently. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and the Boosters bailed us out but by doing so they had to pay Jeff $500,000 to walk away despite the fact that his contract was set to expire in 2 months. And why would they do something like that? Well, because Bobby was going to re-hire him otherwise. The blame did not fall on Jeff -- it fell on the players. Time and time again. The Seminole Boosters will continue to pay Jeff Bowden over $100,000 per year until 2012.

Bobby Bowden has put himself, his family and his friends ahead of FSU for nearly a decade now and the school's well-being has clearly become a distant 3rd in his mind. I am ready for a new era where if the coach is not winning, we can hire a new one rather than pacify the whims of one who some see as bigger than the school and program.

If anyone sees this as anything but a good thing, their vision is clouded by adoration and not facts. Bobby was given multiple opportunities to make things right as well as numerous options but he has repeatedly turned them down. It is not a secret that he said on numerous occasions that if it ever got to the point where he lost 3-4 games a season, he'd hang it up. We've lost 6 in 3 of the past 4. We might finish the year with a losing record.

It is time for a new era of FSU football. People get old. They lose their edge. They retire. A football team at a major Division 1 school is a business. If the CEO sees diminishing returns for a few years, he's ousted. For nearly a decade? Not a chance. It's beyond compare. There is a reason why businesses have those in charge put in a lesser role once they reach a certain age -- they no longer can perform at a level they once could. It is a part of life that we must all face.

Jimbo will now be able to fire the poor defensive staff who have been retained out of loyalty. Mickey has wanted to retire for years now although Bobby talked him into returning, hoping to ride off into the sunset together. Mickey knew when to tether his horse.

We will put in place a modern defensive scheme rather than continue to use one that has been dated for many years with all of its holes picked apart, ready to be exploited. We will hire coaches who are willing to go out and recruit rather than rely on the Florida State name which no longer is enough to get the best talent. We will have the opportunity to field a competitive team who in a year or two might be able to beat UF and UM with some level of consistency.

I lost a lot of respect for Bobby in light of the Jeff thing. He was my hero for a very long time but things change. I haven't been this excited about football in years.

Bolded part.. I'll say!

Well, the BCS is over. Nothing spectacular accomplished, no championships, but we got a few marks.

Most BCS appearances without a loss - 3
Most points scored in BCS bowl - 70
Largest margin of victory in BCS bowl - 37 points
Lowest ranked team to win a BCS bowl - 23rd

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I am curious how Clemson reacts to losing their entire offense. We can see how good a coach Dabo is. I don't think it looks good.

Schmitty

Something I posted on Facebook on 11/30/09. This was a few days after the Gators smacked us around again and Bobby being forced out was finally underway.

Bolded part.. I'll say!
Nice post. I felt similarly with JoePa after the Orange Bowl win against you guys. I thought that would be the best time to retire -- beating Bowden, winning a BCS bowl after all the dark years.

That game was one of the most stressful games ever

Jhriad

Yeah, Mac won it, even if I had picked FSU like I had the whole time, or not. 433 to what would have been 426. Ball State is what fucked me over the most.

Mac 433
Enfinit's 425
Monroeski 417
Me 414
Jhriad 399

Pretty happy with my bowl performance and my season pick'em performance this year. Solid all the way around. Hope I can do as well next year.

Both Georgia and Nebraska are beat the hell up by injuries throughout the year.
Georgia loses to Nebraska in bowl
Nebraska arguably returns a better all around team in 2014 than they had in 2013. Their weakest unit, the defense, will actually have experience this time around.
Rank Georgia #11 and leave Nebraska unranked.

Wut.

Pretty happy with my bowl performance and my season pick'em performance this year. Solid all the way around. Hope I can do as well next year.

Nebraska arguably returns a better all around team in 2014 than they had in 2013. Their weakest unit, the defense, will actually have experience this time around.

Wut.

Florida is ranked 25 for goodness sake. Looks like we'll need 4 or 5 more years of non-SEC teams winning the natty game for pundits to quit overrating almost every team in that conference.

Piggus

Michigan State @ Oregon on September 13th

Top 5 matchup? Quite the doozy.

Looking forward to going to that one. My uncle is bringing friends up from Texas too. Gonna be gud.

Assuming we're healthy, that game game should give us an idea about how we'll perform against Stanford.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Texas has a class ranked at the top of the Big XII and anywhere from 9-13 nationally right now, and that's after multiple disappointing seasons with a coach who's basically been a lame duck for years. Tech recruited Zaycoven Henderson harder than anybody and high school coaches love our staff and he still committed to UT while outright acknowledging that he didn't even know who their head coach would be next season.

Strong will have no problem recruiting there from day one if he's hired no matter who the staff is and what their connections are. They're Texas. Hiring a staff that already has connections would be great but isn't nearly as important there as for every other school in the area.

Quoting myself from a few days ago because apparently there's a lot of smoke around a rumor that Zaycoven Henderson has indeed decommitted from UT and will enroll at Tech next Wednesday. Not a done deal, of course, and oftentimes when news like this gets out it actually lessens the chances of a commitment flip happening, but I think this comes as a pretty big surprise to all parties involved as he had previously been so adamant about committing to UT the school, not to Mack Brown/Greg Robinson.

Pretty sure he signed an LOI to Texas already, since he's an early enrollee, so I'm not sure how that will shake out. May be forced to sit a year, may go through an appeals process and get it overturned like Delvon Simmons did for us a few years ago after he signed with UNC and his coach left the day after signing day (he was able to play for us from day one).

::edit::
Hasn't signed an LOI, but has probably signed financial aid papers, which I believe means that UT coaches can call him even now during the dead period.

Draxal

Quoting myself from a few days ago because apparently there's a lot of smoke around a rumor that Zaycoven Henderson has indeed decommitted from UT and will enroll at Tech next Wednesday. Not a done deal, of course, and oftentimes when news like this gets out it actually lessens the chances of a commitment flip happening, but I think this comes as a pretty big surprise to all parties involved as he had previously been so adamant about committing to UT the school, not to Mack Brown/Greg Robinson.

Pretty sure he signed an LOI to Texas already, since he's an early enrollee, so I'm not sure how that will shake out. May be forced to sit a year, may go through an appeals process and get it overturned like Delvon Simmons did for us a few years ago after he signed with UNC and his coach left the day after signing day (he was able to play for us from day one).

On the Texas recruiting thing, I was more talking about the internal pressure from Texas High Schools to take over Texas prospects instead of Miami area prospects.

You know, no more Griffin/Manziel's I would have gone to Texas if they recruited me for qb type of deals.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
On the Texas recruiting thing, I was more talking about the internal pressure from Texas High Schools to take over Texas prospects instead of Miami area prospects.

You know, no more Griffin/Manziel's I would have gone to Texas if they recruited me for qb type of deals.

I wasn't necessarily trying to stir up the old "Can Strong recruit Texas" argument, just thought I'd mention that the specific guy I used as an example of how Texas gets whoever they want regardless of coaching staff is apparently not sticking with them (or is very close to leaving, at any rate).

impirius

Bit of shameless self-promotion. I wrote a thing on ESPN's broadcast experiment monday night if any of y'all would like to read it: www.smallmarketbias.com
That was a good read!

I spent most of the game watching ESPNews and thought that was a great way to watch a big game. It wouldn't work for most viewers because it lacked the polish and pageantry you expect from a big college football broadcast, but it was cool to see current coaches react to things as they happen, rush to break down plays, and point out weaknesses to exploit.

The complaints about the red hat guy were funny, too.

B1G rank for OSU Pass Defense by Year: 2007 (1st), 2008 (1st), 2009 (2nd), 2010 (1st), 2011 (4th), 2012 (11th), 2013 (11th)

OSU was 2nd in the country in passing TDs allowed in 2010. They were 18th last season and 117th this season.

woof.

ag-my001

Dylan Thompson will be great I think. This year what little he was used he ran the ball a bit more and did well at it (though mostly because nobody expected him to try it)
There is no way Joeckel gets the starting job next year, unless the curse of Maryland finds its way down to A&M. Kenny Hill looked better in every appearance, and toward the end of the season he was coming in first. Our offense came to a sputtering halt every time Matt stepped on the field.

Talon

You forgot to list LHN as one of the channels ESPN has. But yeah, I hope that ESPN/ABC can manage to get Superbowl rights sometime soon, what they could do would be amazing.
If the reaction to Monday night's broadcast is really good, I could definitely see ESPN doing this more often. Hell, I think they used to do something similar (called "Full Circle" I think).
That was a good read!

I spent most of the game watching ESPNews and thought that was a great way to watch a big game. It wouldn't work for most viewers because it lacked the polish and pageantry you expect from a big college football broadcast, but it was cool to see current coaches react to things as they happen, rush to break down plays, and point out weaknesses to exploit.

The complaints about the red hat guy were funny, too.
Thanks, guys. CBS has actually been doing a similar thing with the NCAA Tournament for at least two years where they were doing a simulcast of coaches.

Of course, the NFL Network has that little show on NFL.com for all the Thursday Night Football games, but there's been nothing to this scale. Plus, neither of those actually broadcast the game footage itself.

There's a lot of room to do cool shit with live sports broadcasts, and I hope we see more of it going forward - and not just for the big events.

andycapps

Wut.

Is Nebraska improving that much next year? I believe Georgia being ranked there has a lot to do with Gurley, our receivers coming back, the feeling of our defense having nowhere to go but up, as well as our schedule looking much more manageable this year due to Clemson losing everyone, USCe losing everyone, Florida still being in the shitter, Georgia Tech being in the shitter until Paul Johnson leaves
Okay, forever
, etc.

Georgia is getting back 3 receivers, our backup RB (who could be a co-no1), and some players on defense. Our defense is the same story as Nebraska, it was pathetic this year, but should improve with them all having a year under their belt. I'm not sure if Nebraska pulls in the same quality of players as we do every year, but our defense was all very talented this year, the problem is that they were all playing in highschool a year ago, with only a couple exceptions. We lose one senior on defense, and no juniors are leaving for the pros, which is no surprise given how crappy our defense was.

I see UL is ready to get their piss hot!

the smile on this face...this is what i was very very excited about as soon as strong to Texas became official. Petrino as head coach and the group of assistants he plans to get look amazing, the least of which is john l smith as special teams coach

Draxal

the smile on this face...this is what i was very very excited about as soon as strong to Texas became official. Petrino as head coach and the group of assistants he plans to get look amazing, the least of which is john l smith as special teams coach

Thanks for not taking Narduzzi (I'm praying he'll be the Rutgers head coach in 2015).

my 2nd pick would be chad morris

apparently the interview was over 8 hours long hammering out every detail of petrinos plan for the program for the next decade

expecting a 5 year, 2.9 mil a year with a 10-12 million buyout, gpa and graduation bonuses

Draxal

So they actually hired Petrino again.

Yeah, I'm kinda shocked and not shocked at this.

Shocked because I thought Villle had bad feelings at all the time Petrino tried to bail on them.

Not Shocked, because Ville under Petrino was a really good team.

Top Bottom