• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Mac won it, even if I had picked FSU like I had the whole time, or not. 433 to what would have been 426. Ball State is what fucked me over the most.

Mac 433
Enfinit's 425
Monroeski 417
Me 414
Jhriad 399

Oh what could have been if I hadn't forgotten to set my picks until after 4 games had already been played.

Probably would have ended up worse, honestly.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Think if I had left my original picks of Ark State (12) and FSU (31), I would have ran away with it. That's what I get for micromanaging at the end (going with Ball State because it was the heavy favorite, and swapped the higher point to ensure a good outcome).

Still feel good about my Clemson and Nebraska picks. They're what gave me a chance.

KingGondo

Banned
SEC 2014 Quarterback situation
fA1JudW.jpg

Gonna be crazy
Something tells me the SEC is gonna go back to having SEC DEFENSE
aka shitty quarterback play
again next season.

andycapps

Something tells me the SEC is gonna go back to having SEC DEFENSE
aka shitty quarterback play
again next season.

Definitely, the league was primed for offensive juggernauts this year with Murray, McCarron, Manziel, Shaw, Marshall, Franklin, and Mettenberger this year. USCe is likely primed for a huge dropoff in losing Shaw as well as all the other players leaving early. Bama and UGA should be best suited to handle the attrition this year due to the pieces they have returning (and in our case, everyone coming back from injuries). Auburn should be good again next year, unfortunately.

Enfinit

Yeah, Mac won it, even if I had picked FSU like I had the whole time, or not. 433 to what would have been 426. Ball State is what fucked me over the most.

Mac 433
Enfinit's 425
Monroeski 417
Me 414
Jhriad 399
#6 in season Pick Em's, #2 in Bowl Pick Em's, AND my Noles won.

Great season!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I saw Florida in two seperate "way too early" top 25 lists.

I want some of what those guys are smoking.

Meier

fA1JudW.jpg

Gonna be crazy

It'll be interesting to see how the Coker situation plays out. If he was willing to wait 2 years, he could probably start here as a Sr. (assuming Jameis leaves after next year) but I don't think anyone is expecting that. If he does transfer to Bama, it'll be nice to see him get to show his stuff. He's a talented guy who was in kind of a tough spot this year since his mop-up duty came with the #2's and with a goal of just getting the games over with.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
How is the chant racist?
FSU gets a pass. At least until the Seminole Nation changes its mind. Unless they already have and I haven't seen it. Admittedly, I do not have a google alert set up for news on the continued approval of FSU's use of "Seminoles."

jjasper

fA1JudW.jpg

Gonna be crazy

Going to be interesting what we do.
Worley: Game manager with peashooter but the team was best with him playing cause while he underthrew everyone he rarely made terrible mistakes.
Petermann: Was terrible but was apparently the best looking in preseason
Ferguson: Has the best arm was apparently better in practice than Dobbs and would have played over him but broke his leg the week before. Is a freshman this year
Dobbs: Probably the best combo of running and arm strength. Could still redshirt this year if needed.

mre

Texas booster Red McCombs pleased with Strong hire

Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of the Texas Longhorns' decision to hire Charlie Strong, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday.

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

How is the chant racist?

It's not, really. Racism means a belief of superiority/inferiority based on ethnicity. I just used the term because I thought it was a funnier way to indicate how silly it is. Think if there was a team called "The Manchurians" and the crowd chanted the opening to "I'm turning Japanese" over and over again. It's kinda like that.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Heard about that this morning. This is my favorite part -

"I think it is a kick in the face," McCombs said. "Beyond the fact of what actually happened. We have boosters that have a lot of knowledge about the game. When we decided to go get Mack -- from the time we decided to go get Mack to about 30 hours later to have a press conference here and it was done -- we had a lot of input before we went after him.

Lonestar

Alabama gets the most important WR's back (losing Norwood and Bell. Norwood's a gamer and will be among my favorites at that position, but he's still just a possession WR, and I liked Bell, but he only ran 1 route well. Deep), opening up spots for some talented WR's that sat on the bench because of upper classmen. R. Foster, C. Black, Falkins, A. Stewart. Getting Cooper, D. White and C. Jones back is spectacular for any QB to have. Then you have 3 solid WR-type recruits. Cam Sims, Bo Scarborough, and D. Kief. All 4-5 stars.

Alabama gets all the RB's back, barring transfers. Hopefully, the 1A RB is Henry, and Drake and Yeldon get their Fumble Problems taken care of. Will Tenpenny or Jones see playing time, and will Bo Scarborough stay at RB, or move to WR when he gets on campus. Will Kamara stay, or is he already gone?

Offensive Line will lose Steen, and after this last game, I'm ok with Cyrus K going. Cam Robinson is now enrolled (6-7 335 lbs), and will get a chance to start at LT as a freshman, or it'll be given to one of the JC's from last year. Fellow signee's OT Pierschbacher, OT D Jackson, OC Hassenauer and OC J. Carter might be one of the best group of OLinemen we've signed since Saban's gotten here. All are in the top 4 in their position nationally (Jackson in the JC Ranks).
Currently players with playing time are Kelly, Grant Hill, C. Lindsay, Arie K (who I hope is overtaken by someone else), Austin Shepherd, and Leon Brown. Will be about average if the line is just the returning guys, as Steen had all the experience and Cyrus had all the "physical talent"

Return all of the Tight Ends. Maybe the next QB will keep an eye on them, or at least OJ Howard. Dude should have lead the team in targets, or at least be in the top 3. He could be Vernon Davis 2.

It's all on the QB, but if the constant arguing point with AJ being ok only because of his surrounding talent, then there's enough talent around on offense that the next guy simply just has to make reasonably boring throws and we'll do fine. The only QB on campus that I worry about meeting that standard, is Sims. I've seen enough of him throwing to be worried about where it's going when it leaves his hand.

Meier

Heard about that this morning. This is my favorite part -

It's pretty bad in text, but it's even worse when you hear the audio. "Maaaaybe a coordinator." The food court at DKR is named after McCombs as well as the Business School. I doubt there will be any fallout in terms of him giving less or anything like that, but who knows. I have a feeling that Strong won't be nearly as accommodating as Mack was. Maybe he won't have a choice though.

Kevtones

Oregon brings back everyone on offense aside from Hawkins and Huff (which hurts). DAT wasn't in the starting lineup at season's end was generally ineffective. The whole line (although Johnstone's knee got blown up during the blow game) returns, Mariota, 3 good TEs, every other skill player. Tyner is going to be huge and BJ Kelley/Keanon Lowe are ready for their respective closeups. Addison is a monster.

Defense should be different - really comes down to D-coordinator. Lots of really good young talent on the D-Line and the Linebackers mostly return. Secondary is getting depleted but the return of Ike Ekpre is astonishing. Still, Troy Hill and Erick Dargan pretty much had starter quality time this year so it shouldn't be too much of a change. Like our kicking game finally.

GET CLANCY.

And we open the season vs. FSU in Jerryworld.

Even though I'm sure we'll get spanked it should still be fun.

Damn, really?

I'd actually take you guys in that game if you've got decent pieces coming back. Still regret not going to see Oregon/LSU. I want to see Jerryworld!!!

mre

It's pretty bad in text, but it's even worse when you hear the audio. "Maaaaybe a coordinator." The food court at DKR is named after McCombs as well as the Business School. I doubt there will be any fallout in terms of him giving less or anything like that, but who knows. I have a feeling that Strong won't be nearly as accommodating as Mack was. Maybe he won't have a choice though.

The kicker was the "maybe a coordinator" followed right on the heels of "maybe a position coach." What the hell?

Lonestar

oh yeah, no Cade Foster, so the Monsieur HandEgg position is trending up.

About Coker, I thought I heard a comment that he wasn't going to graduate till Spring or Summer. So, if he "does" graduate transfer (before the NCAA gets rid of that rule), he's barely going to get a fall practice in (wherever he goes)

mre

oh yeah, no Cade Foster, so the Monsieur HandEgg position is trending up.

About Coker, I thought I heard a comment that he wasn't going to graduate till Spring or Summer. So, if he "does" graduate transfer (before the NCAA gets rid of that rule), he's barely going to get a fall practice in (wherever he goes)
If he comes here, he will start. Unless he's dumber than a rock.

Draconian

Alabama gets the most important WR's back (losing Norwood and Bell. Norwood's a gamer and will be among my favorites at that position, but he's still just a possession WR, and I liked Bell, but he only ran 1 route well. Deep), opening up spots for some talented WR's that sat on the bench because of upper classmen. R. Foster, C. Black, Falkins, A. Stewart. Getting Cooper, D. White and C. Jones back is spectacular for any QB to have. Then you have 3 solid WR-type recruits. Cam Sims, Bo Scarborough, and D. Kief. All 4-5 stars.

Alabama gets all the RB's back, barring transfers. Hopefully, the 1A RB is Henry, and Drake and Yeldon get their Fumble Problems taken care of. Will Tenpenny or Jones see playing time, and will Bo Scarborough stay at RB, or move to WR when he gets on campus. Will Kamara stay, or is he already gone?

Offensive Line will lose Steen, and after this last game, I'm ok with Cyrus K going. Cam Robinson is now enrolled (6-7 335 lbs), and will get a chance to start at LT as a freshman, or it'll be given to one of the JC's from last year. Fellow signee's OT Pierschbacher, OT D Jackson, OC Hassenauer and OC J. Carter might be one of the best group of OLinemen we've signed since Saban's gotten here. All are in the top 4 in their position nationally (Jackson in the JC Ranks).
Currently players with playing time are Kelly, Grant Hill, C. Lindsay, Arie K (who I hope is overtaken by someone else), Austin Shepherd, and Leon Brown. Will be about average if the line is just the returning guys, as Steen had all the experience and Cyrus had all the "physical talent"

Return all of the Tight Ends. Maybe the next QB will keep an eye on them, or at least OJ Howard. Dude should have lead the team in targets, or at least be in the top 3. He could be Vernon Davis 2.

It's all on the QB, but if the constant arguing point with AJ being ok only because of his surrounding talent, then there's enough talent around on offense that the next guy simply just has to make reasonably boring throws and we'll do fine. The only QB on campus that I worry about meeting that standard, is Sims. I've seen enough of him throwing to be worried about where it's going when it leaves his hand.

Pretty spot on here. I'm gonna miss Norwood a lot for sure. Dude had some ridiculous stat where almost all of his catches were either first downs or TDs. I dunno what happened to OJ Howard either. I thought he was much better than Vogler this year anyway, but we didn't target him at all in the Sugar Bowl. Drake disappeared over the last few games of the season. And yes, please start Henry. I'm beyond tired of Yeldon trying to fumble games away.

Can you do a similar breakdown of the defense?

cdyhybrid

We'll probably be starting 2 RS frosh at S and another at CB, but we've got some good young talent at those spots.

LBs and DL are all back.

OL is all back, ASJ is gone so TE will be a question mark (maybe the guy that RSed this season will step up). RB we'll be deep but there's no ironclad #1 back at the moment. WR we're great.

It'll all going to come down to the QB. Three guys who could win the job (all 4* highly recruited guys), so we'll see who the new staff likes best.

Draxal

We're probably going to get pounded into oblivion next year.

Do we have any Terp fans? Franklin to PSU is BAD BAD BAD for Maryland.

Lonestar

Oh, yeah, Tony Brown is on campus and enrolled, for those LSU/Texas insiders who thought there was a chance he'd back out.

Defense wise, I'll start up another post.

Limedust

If he comes here, he will start. Unless he's dumber than a rock.

Assuming Coker transfers, I'll guess it to be a Del Rio / Coker battle in the fall, with Sims the default #3.

... unless Saban installs the hurry-up wishbone (HUWB™).

Lonestar

Assuming Coker transfers, I'll guess it to be a Del Rio / Coker battle in the fall, with Sims the default #3.

... unless Saban installs the hurry-up wishbone (HUWB™).

I still have hope for Bateman, along with Cornwall as White Cam (6-5 241 lbs that appears to have some speed/mobility. Pre ACL, anyway)

KingGondo

Banned
Damn, really?

I'd actually take you guys in that game if you've got decent pieces coming back. Still regret not going to see Oregon/LSU. I want to see Jerryworld!!!
I've never been (but I plan on going for OSU-FSU).

I've heard it's worth seeing, but that it's pretty overrated and sterile. Plus, if you sit above a certain height it's impossible to not just watch the mega-screen the whole time.
I Push Fat Kids said:
Way too early 4-team playoff prediction:

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Oklahoma State
4. Ohio State
Wow, wish I was as optimistic as you are!

The big issue for us is QB. The only returner with experience is JW Walsh, who is hugely limited in the passing game. I do think he could possibly run a Malzahn-style triple option, since our skill position talent is going to be utterly ridiculous around whoever gets the job.

That makes me think we might go with a freshman (Mason Rudolph is pretty hyped up, but there's another kid named Hubenak who has a shot too IMO).

We do lose quite a bit of experience on defense, but the young talent is there (and the D-line might be even better and deeper).

9 wins would be a nice baseline without knowing who the QB is gonna be.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Way too early 4-team playoff prediction:

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Oklahoma State
4. Ohio State

FSU has the hype at this point that we could go with one loss, so even if OkSt stomps us, we could win out the rest of our weak schedule and get into the playoffs.

But damn I can't wait until the playoffs. Those four teams excite me to watch play.

Top Bottom