• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
And think about how cool that would be. You'd get to see all kinds of dream matchups. Oregon at Bama, FSU at Ohio State, and so on.

Plus, it gives the teams a nice financial and football reward for getting a top 2 seed by getting to host another home game.

If OSU makes the CFB playoff in the next few years, I can't imagine that I'll be able to afford to go to both games unless one is in Dallas.
If you're the (3) or (4) seed, then you would still be in the same boat.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
If OSU makes the CFB playoff in the next few years, I can't imagine that I'll be able to afford to go to both games unless one is in Dallas.

Plus, a lot of the fans that can't afford to go to both games may opt to skip the first one, thinking that if they can only go one they'd prefer it be the championship. Attendance for the first round of the playoff in general could suffer a bit.

On the other hand, the cities they're currently picking for playoff cities definitely have an infrastructure advantage over having the games at home stadiums. Home stadium teams likely wouldn't even know if they're hosting a game or not until the last week of the season; can you imagine a city like Boise having only a month or so to get together a plan for that much media and festivities for what could be up to a week pre-game? Media already has trouble finding hotel rooms and such for things like College Gameday in cities like Lubbock, Stillwater, or Manhattan (Kansas), and a playoff game would have both media and fan attention that would dwarf Gameday.

Karakand

I am still trying to wrap the idea of how the playoff system will work next year for the fans in terms of traveling to the games.

So the idea is that fans will be traveling to a BCS site (Rose, Orange, Sugar, etc) and then if their team wins and moves on they will have to schedule another vacation to the next playoff game site. Is this correct?

Does the playoff committee really expect fans to be planning multiple expensive vacations in such a short time frame?

It's a good thing that it's cheaper to fly around the holidays, right? (I know it's not, fan inclusiveness was clearly not a factor in any of the new system. Good thing we'll have a TRUE CHAMPION™ determined by a playoff of 4 teams from the 493052493450 that comprise Division IA.)

One thing I read a bunch of after Saturday was how good attendance was for all the bowls except Boise and most people were attributing it to regional matchups played at stadiums relatively close to both schools.

I don't know how much this will matter for the playoff but I think it shows that even for low tier bowls there is interest with the right matchups.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Boise State sent their QB home from Hawaii for peeing off a hotel balcony.

Adjust your pick ems accordingly.

Seth Emerson ‏@SethEmerson 9m
News: Georgia has suspended S Josh Harvey-Clemons and CB Sheldon Dawson for the Gator Bowl. Violation of team rules, per announcement.

No Balcony involved, though.

Tamanon

Banned
Go Pirates! ECU won their bowl game against Ohio today. I was driving back from Greenville all day just getting Scorecenter updates.

I love how UCF is getting shit from some in the media for people not being able to afford a $500-$700 flight to Arizona while other BCS teams are getting a pass. UCF didn't even sell the least out of the BCS teams.

And goddamn bowls are a scam. Finally really saw it in practice.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
lol, Urbz in a sports related Christmas song commercial. Featuring OSUn playing Mich State in blizzard conditions.

Maybe then, they'd have a chance...no they wouldn't.

playoff games should be at home

BmVAsHa.gif

Mark Long ‏@APMarkLong
Even with Duke OC Kurt Roper visiting today, Gators coach Will Muschamp has NOT offered job to anyone -- at least not yet

Seems like we are still waiting till after Jan 1st bowls.

"Sources" are now saying Florida is making the hire, with some confirmation from the local Duke beat writer

http://espn.go.com/college-football...da-gators-hire-kurt-roper-duke-blue-devils-oc

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 22m
I can confirm ESPN's report that #Duke OC Kurt Roper is taking the same position at Florida. Don't know yet if he's coaching the bowl

Silkworm

"Sources" are now saying Florida is making the hire, with some confirmation from the local Duke beat writer

http://espn.go.com/college-football...da-gators-hire-kurt-roper-duke-blue-devils-oc

Whelp, so be it. Funny that Pat Dooley just yesterday said the wait for an OC hire would probably take until Jan 1st and beyond since the search was probably wider than the recent speculation of Roper. Hope for some of that Duke to Florida magic like when Spurrier came to UF (lofty, unreasonable hope -- more realistic hope is that the offense at least looks better in 2014 so that there isn't a reprise of "GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL" -- of course this will probably require a much better performance by the O-line, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed).

Anyway, hopefully Duke finds a good replacement for Roper though I'm sure Cutcliffe could probably manage being the HBC and OC if pressed.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Not a splash hire by any means, but could be very solid. He runs an up tempo spread.

When Roper ran plays that suited our personnel, he was good, when he didn't, welp. We ran a shitload of bubble screens when Connor Vernon was the number 1 guy, because he was great at making the 1st defender miss and getting yards. Our other receivers, not so much. Both he and Cut forgot for a good while that Duke had a competent running game. Once he realized this, he could make use of the personnel and did a good job. If you have a shitty QB though, get used to a lot of screen and sideline passes.

EDIT: On the plus side, rumors are floating that Cut will try to get another former QB to join his staff. If Tee Martin came to Duke, that would be huge.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Interesting to me a former qb has been a wrs coah the past 3 years.(tee martin)

If he comes to Duke, we will probably promote Scotty Montgomery and Tee will either be WR coach or QB coach. I don't know if Zach Roper is going with his brother or not.

Merry Christmas CFGaf

not a christmas present, actually got this back in october but finally got done unpacking most of our stuff from the move and put this in a semi permanent place

1512761_10151902098572809_1751007759_n.jpg

Top Bottom