• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

jakncoke

Banned
I'm just disgusted that they are never going to win in an unfair sport. Unless you're from a power conference or lucky , a smaller school is never going to win it all.

Suck less.

Also now that I know you are a bucs/usf fan what other teams do you fandom because so far your sports life sucks hardcore

Zee-Row

Banned
Suck less.

Also now that I know you are a bucs/usf fan what other teams do you fandom because so far your sports life sucks hardcore

Rays and Lightning have been enjoyable to me. Bucs not so much other than laughing at the circus that was this season.

Because they are my local team.

Why limit yourself to the closest proximity? They didn't even begin football until 97, and have always been a lower-rung team in lower-tier conferences. If you were interested in big time college athletics, there are better schools in Florida (and outside of it). I'm not suggesting that you find a bandwagon now, but I find it dubious that in however many years you've been a sports fan, you haven't developed other rooting interests, or it never dawned on you that USF wasn't one of the big boys.

Being from just outside of Greensboro, NC (now living in Charlotte), there are several colleges and universities in the city, and other than alumni (and I am one, UNC Greensboro), nobody has more than a passing interest in those athletic programs, and even those that do have larger rooting interests in power programs, mostly one of the "Big 4" in state ACC schools. We grew up rooting for Duke, Carolina, NC State, or Wake. We went to school at UNC Greensboro or NC A&T (although talk to an A&T grad about Aggie Pride, it's serious business). It's just the way of life. Maybe it doesn't translate to you, I don't know, but it seems fairly normal around here.

Another example, UNC Charlotte began football this year, and will move up to FBS in a couple of years. I guarantee you that most every person sitting in the new stadium on Saturdays this season, even the students, went home and either checked the highlight (or watched the game, if it was later) of their actual favorite team.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
MSU's win was great fun. It was a messy win, but our defense fucking brought it and we pulled some clutch catches, altogether managing to overcome the typical bungle or two. Very cool being able to win the 100th Rose Bowl, and I actually got to attend.

Twas a good day :)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Someone posted this elsewhere (guess where).

These are the teams that have had 3 consecutive 11 win seasons, ever.

LSU
Bama
FSU
Boise State
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Oregon
So Cal
Stanford
Miami (Fl)
... and now SCAR.

Notable absences include Ohio State, Michigan, Florida and Auburn.

Getting four in a row appears to be a very very tough thing to do.

Doing some confirmation work, but I know Alabama has done this 3 times, but never had 4 seasons in a row of 11+. FSU had a 5 season streak back in the 90's

I know Texas and Notre Dame haven't done it (close a bunch of times, but a 10 win season would sneak in there. Georgia and Tennessee haven't either.

This means very little, but it's a nice way to have USCe, Stanford, and Boise hold something over a bunch of Old Money Teams.

Zee-Row

Banned
Why limit yourself to the closest proximity? They didn't even begin football until 97, and have always been a lower-rung team in lower-tier conferences. If you were interested in big time college athletics, there are better schools in Florida (and outside of it). I'm not suggesting that you find a bandwagon now, but I find it dubious that in however many years you've been a sports fan, you haven't developed other rooting interests, or it never dawned on you that USF wasn't one of the big boys.

Being from just outside of Greensboro, NC (now living in Charlotte), there are several colleges and universities in the city, and other than alumni (and I am one, UNC Greensboro), nobody has more than a passing interest in those athletic programs, and even those that do have larger rooting interests in power programs, mostly one of the "Big 4" in state ACC schools. We grew up rooting for Duke, Carolina, NC State, or Wake. We went to school at UNC Greensboro or NC A&T (although talk to an A&T grad about Aggie Pride, it's serious business). It's just the way of life. Maybe it doesn't translate to you, I don't know, but it seems fairly normal around here.

Another example, UNC Charlotte began football this year, and will move up to FBS in a couple of years. I guarantee you that every person sitting in the new stadium on Saturdays this season, even the students, went home and either checked the highlight (or watched the game, if it was later) of their actual favorite team.

I'm just sticking to Pro Sports , I can't cheer for a team i have no local connection to and none of the other Florida teams do that for me.

im starting to think the stripes must be somehow affiliated with this south central north west florida poly tech a&m school thats playing tonight

guess they brought 7 more then the 5,000 tickets they had to practically give away
Loloollolololooolol

You're a professional bitcher.

LA FIESTA

I'm just disgusted that they are never going to win in an unfair sport. Unless you're from a power conference or lucky , a smaller school is never going to win it all.
USF had almost 10 years to not fuck up. They decided to be petty fucks and squander that lucky opportunity. Any issues with USF are the fault of USF alone and their shortsideness.

I'm just sticking to Pro Sports , I can't cheer for a team i have no local connection to and none of the other Florida teams do that for me.

You make it sound like Miami, Gainesville, or Tallahassee might as well be in Alaska or something. :/

Oh well, whatever floats your boat, I guess. I admit I don't understand it that much, but then, I gravitate away from local pro teams. I just can't stand such massive groupthink. Wall-to-wall Panther talk (for example) drives me completely insane. Local talk about college is better by default, because there are so many diverse interests and viewpoints, it's more entertaining.

Lonestar

You make it sound like Miami, Gainesville, or Tallahassee might as well be in Alaska or something. :/

Oh well, whatever floats your boat, I guess. I admit I don't understand it that much, but then, I gravitate away from local pro teams. I just can't stand such massive groupthink. Wall-to-wall Panther talk (for example) drives me completely insane. Local talk about college is better by default, because there are so many diverse interests and viewpoints, it's more entertaining.

Not going to get the level of quality of the PAAAAWWWWL viewpoints in Pro-Ball.

Velcro Fly

I feel the same about Chicago teams. I grew up hearing nothing but Bears/Bulls/etc that by the time I was old enough to form my own opinions I just stuck with the Colts for football and became a Raptors fan for basketball. Although now that the Bulls don't streamroll everything anymore it's fun to be a fan.

Lonestar

831202492.gif

Because I know this got missed because the game was starting to go crazy :p

jakncoke

Banned

The world was just we'd send Florida up there !

Zee-Row

Banned

4 to 6 hours is pretty far!

I feel the same about Chicago teams. I grew up hearing nothing but Bears/Bulls/etc that by the time I was old enough to form my own opinions I just stuck with the Colts for football and became a Raptors fan for basketball. Although now that the Bulls don't streamroll everything anymore it's fun to be a fan.

I find it odd, because as much as I hate the year-round focus on the Panthers on local airwaves, I fully realize it's the same way in other cities for their teams, teams I might root for, but at least it's not on my radio. Out of sight (or earshot), out of mind. For the same reason, I don't really care for local announcers of games. I'm rather fond of the idea of rotating them between cities and teams and eliminating any particular tilt. (I'd grandfather some of the more esteemed baseball announcers/tandems).

So...

ACC 3-6 2 remaining
AAC 2-2 1 remaining
B12 2-2 2 remaining
B1G 2-4 1 remaining
CUSA 3-3 0 remaining
IND 2-1 0 remaining
MAC 0-4 1 remaining
MWC 3-3 0 remaining
P12 6-3 0 remaining
SEC 5-1 4 remaining
SUN 1-0 1 remaining

A decent number of conferences that have gone even in bowls. Maybe parity in match ups?

Pretty crazy that the MAC almost got a team in a BCS Bowl and yet they've ended up losing all 4 of their games so far.

The Pac 12 was some Cougin' it and maybe some less stupid Stanford play calling away from being 8-1, even still they look pretty locked in as the 2nd best conference right now.

I know the SEC has 2 teams in BCS Bowls, but why do they still have 4 remaining games? Why in the hell is the BBVA Compass bowl one of the last bowls to be played?

Someone posted this elsewhere (guess where).

These are the teams that have had 3 consecutive 11 win seasons, ever...

WVU 2005, '06, '07. List is poorly researched and discriminatory!

... Why in the hell is the BBVA Compass bowl one of the last bowls to be played?

Because even shitty bowl games get huge ratings, so any they'll stretch them out to be on every night possible until the championship game. And BBVA more specifically because they wouldn't dare move one of the big ones away from New Year's Day/Eve.

jjasper

I know Texas and Notre Dame haven't done it (close a bunch of times, but a 10 win season would sneak in there. Georgia and Tennessee haven't either.

This means very little, but it's a nice way to have USCe, Stanford, and Boise hold something over a bunch of Old Money Teams.

It's cause old money teams were playing 11 game seasons when they were good.

Lonestar

Because even shitty bowl games get huge ratings, so any they'll stretch them out to be on every night possible until the championship game. And BBVA more specifically because they wouldn't dare move one of the big ones away from New Year's Day/Eve.

Yeah, Football for every day of the week, what's wrong with this?

Would be nice for the BBVA to not be a rainy mess (as it is right now, here).

One day, maybe I'll go to it. Really, Vandy/Houston doesn't sound like a horrible game (like a game featuring Pitt sounds like)

Of #OSU's 28 1,000-yd rushers, Hyde's yards-per-carry average of 7.7 is more than a full yard better than any of them.

wow, puts in perspective how good carlos was this year.

Haven't been able to post much recently cause I've been moving and a lack of interest in the
majority of the bowl games but today Bama plays! Roll Tide and Fuck Auburn!

But why BBVA over something that traditionally has more appealing match ups?

It only recently became a "January" bowl in 2010 when BBVA became the sponsor.

Sorry NeoGAF. I've been bad about posting all season, and especially this post-season. But hey, I got engaged so there's an excuse for you! I had off work for the last week of the year so I got some bowl game watching in.

Texas A&M - LOL you almost lost to Duke. DUKE. DOOOOOOOOOOOOK.
KuGsj.gif

UCF - Good on you for beating Baylor! But fuck you for costing me 30confidence points.
Texas Tech - Fuck you too Kliff for costing me 32 confidence points.
Rose Bowl - You were awesome. Thank you. My pick lost, but it was only for 2 confidence points so IDGAF.

I thought they would surprise, but I didn't think they would Baylor Baylor.
Yeah I didn't know what to think other than anyone who actually believed that absolutely slap in the face spread had issues.

But to out Baylor, Baylor? And with 3 turnovers? Wow.

#19 Josh Reese's downfield WR blocking directly led to two of our TDs.

Remember they never led the entire game either.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably LSU or Alabama for a lot of them. Tony Brown is an interesting case since he graduated early. After he announces tonight his choice, he will probably enroll at that school next week.

Clearly he is secretly committed to Texas Tech, the school where his father played. Clearly.

Top Bottom