• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlep

New helmet (University of North Texas). Finally dropped the junior high-ish "North Texas" script. If you're one of the 12 people with the Longhorn Network, you'll see it next Saturday night.

BvmJX7IIAAIQ25e.jpg

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
New helmet (University of North Texas). Finally dropped the junior high-ish "North Texas" script. If you're one of the 12 people with the Longhorn Network, you'll see it next Saturday night.

BvmJX7IIAAIQ25e.jpg
UNT fan taking shots at Texas and the LHN. I like it!

andycapps

Schlep

Neil is great, and about the only reason I ever flip to SportsCenter. It's frustrating that for all its chest beating about being different, FS1 turned into the biggest ESPN clone no one watches. CBS Sports is a bit better, but even they kowtow to whatever the top ESPN stories are.

Good for Neil.

ESPN, particularly SportsCenter, is practically unwatchable. Their latest romance is Johnny Football, but he's the latest in a long line of athletes and stories they will just cover endlessly and usually without any reason to do so. I suppose they do it because it gets eyeballs, but I just wonder whose -- are they getting the population that cares about sports, or the population that only cares about celebrity and controversy? Either way, it's clearly not getting me, only getting to me.

McMurphy from Espn is asking coaches to say describe their team with one word. See Sumlin's answer here.

I think Rich has the best though.

Alabama’s Nick Saban: Untested
Arkansas’ Bret Bielema: Motivated
Auburn’s Gus Malzahn: Experienced
Florida’s Will Muschamp: Hungry
Georgia’s Mark Richt: Wow
Kentucky’s Mark Stoops: Improved
LSU’s Les Miles: Unknown
Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen: Hungry
Missouri’s Gary Pinkel: Confident
Ole Miss’ Hugh Freeze: Relentless
South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier: Decent
Tennessee’s Butch Jones: Committed
Texas A&M’s Kevin Sumlin: Eager
Vanderbilt’s Derek Mason: Audacious

Thanks to Richt's "Wow," this looks like the text from an absurdly long Doge image.

cdyhybrid

Yep, that's Sark alright.

Some comments on the Tweet :jnc

Seattle Sportsnet ‏@alexSSN 5h
Would we really call it a surprise? MT @USC_Athletics USC head @CoachSark surprised the @USCSongGirls today pic.twitter.com/Zj348pusZc

Griffin Bennett ‏@GriffinWB 5h
@alexSSN More unannounced than surpirsed.

Ich_heisse_bill ‏@ich_heissa_bill 5h
@USC_Athletics @ChristianCaple @CoachSark @USCSongGirls I bet he did, heard he was pretty fond of waitresses in Seattle.

Jason Beatty ‏@jasonrbeatty 5h
@alexSSN @USC_Athletics @CoachSark @USCSongGirls bet it was hard for him to hold his pinkie down!

Heres my problem with SportsCenter now. Ive noticed more and more the regular hosts are voicing opinions about things and stories theyre talking about. Look, I dont want your opinion, show the highlights tell the news. Theres part reserved on SC for opinions and debate, even whole shows. I dont need the hosts butting in with theirs.

Yep, that's Sark alright.

Some comments on the Tweet :jnc

Seattle Sportsnet ‏@alexSSN 5h
Would we really call it a surprise? MT @USC_Athletics USC head @CoachSark surprised the @USCSongGirls today pic.twitter.com/Zj348pusZc

Griffin Bennett ‏@GriffinWB 5h
@alexSSN More unannounced than surpirsed.

Ich_heisse_bill ‏@ich_heissa_bill 5h
@USC_Athletics @ChristianCaple @CoachSark @USCSongGirls I bet he did, heard he was pretty fond of waitresses in Seattle.

Jason Beatty ‏@jasonrbeatty 5h
@alexSSN @USC_Athletics @CoachSark @USCSongGirls bet it was hard for him to hold his pinkie down!

haha well at least his wife is there, who I'm assuming is in yellow.

Sark: "Bye honey I'm going to surprise the song girls!"
Wife: "Oh that sounds like fun! I want to meet them too, let me go with you"
Sark: *grits teeth* "sure....honey....I would love for you to come along"

cdyhybrid

haha well at least his wife is there, who I'm assuming is in yellow.

Sark: "Bye honey I'm going to surprise the song girls!"
Wife: "Oh that sounds like fun! I want to meet them too, let me go with you"
Sark: *grits teeth* "sure....honey....I would love for you to come along"

That's the coach for the Song Girls, I think. His wife is Asian.

Draxal

Its not the first time an espn personality has condemned ESPN (simmons got suspended for the first take/richard sherman thingie).

The problem with ESPN is they are way too much of a policy maker instead of a policy reporter.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Watching a plays only version of the MNC game getting excited about football coming back.

I can't wait to see how Karlos does in the lead RB position. I expect amazing things. Take some attention away from Genius Winston.

Schmitty

Heres my problem with SportsCenter now. Ive noticed more and more the regular hosts are voicing opinions about things and stories theyre talking about. Look, I dont want your opinion, show the highlights tell the news. Theres part reserved on SC for opinions and debate, even whole shows. I dont need the hosts butting in with theirs.

I think the beginning of its downward spiral started when they went live 5 years ago (?) and ran all day. It essentially turned into a 24 cable news channel and lost all the great commentary over highlights and such.

I used to always make a habit of waking up early Sunday morning to catch the SC highlights of CFB before the NFL show started, but now I couldn't care less. It would be nice if we got highlights on the website, but even those are severely lacking.

I was reading the Lorenzen piece on ESPN.com. Kind of funny and sad at the same time. I liked this bit

He redshirted his first year at Kentucky, and that's when his stomach turned into a gut. After the season, the coaches sent a student trainer to live with Lorenzen and get him to stick to a diet. At the beginning of spring practice, Mumme checked in. The student trainer had gained 10 pounds.

The plan was sound. The execution, on the other hand...

And then there's this

But in Lorenzen's senior year (of high school), Highlands scored 801 points while going 15-0 and winning the state title. Lorenzen threw 45 TDs and ran for 15 more. Still, most colleges were just interested in him for his body. Ohio State recruited him as a defensive end. Purdue saw him as an offensive lineman. "I'd rather watch grass grow than watch Big Ten football," he says.

GOAT

andycapps

I was reading the Lorenzen piece on ESPN.com. Kind of funny and sad at the same time. I liked this bit

The plan was sound. The execution, on the other hand...

And then there's this

GOAT

Yeah it hit me the same way, parts of it were funny and parts were really depressing. It's very obvious he has an addiction to food, and he obviously knows it's not healthy for him.

That dig at the B1G was priceless. I mentioned it as well yesterday.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
As a general rule Joe Wickline is a guy I would give the benefit of the doubt to with regard to OL.

Same.

He was a top flight recruit but word is he was buried in the 3rd string for the most part and not putting in the effort.

I tend to think Mack snagged a bunch of recruits that liked being the big man on campus without putting in the effort to improve. More or less the "I was a freak athlete in high school who outclassed everyone, therefore I will walk on the field and do the same always and forever".

So, if Wickline runs off an OL player at this point my presumption is he wasn't going to work out ever and had he seen the field he would have contributed to another Mack Brown Oline where a McCoy runs around trying not to die every play. Haven't had a smash mouth Oline since Colt's Sophomore year.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Aaron Eckhart is starring in a movie called "My All American" about Darrell Royal next year.

I bet itll be as awful as all other sports biopics.

It's about Freddie Steinmark, which means it should be depressing as hell.

That said, it will probably be a paint by numbers sports biopic with an uplifting message.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ssshhhiieeeetttt

Thank you based Tech Gods. GT Scout forums finally got beta forums that have a mobile layout. I can't. Fuuuuuuu I've been waiting on this for years.

andycapps

Ssshhhiieeeetttt

Thank you based Tech Gods. GT Scout forums finally got beta forums that have a mobile layout. I can't. Fuuuuuuu I've been waiting on this for years.

Tech still has people interested in talking about the team?

Some of those forum rules are hilarious.

12. Posters will not call for anyone to be fired/removed that is associated with Georgia Tech. It will not be done directly nor indirectly. It will not be implied. It will not be done via innuendo or subtle implication (this includes phrases like "time for change" and other vague general phrases of that sort). Posts will also not include calls for resignation. It also includes floating names for a position that is not open. It will not be tolerated and anyone that does so will see their account suspended for an indefinite period of time. .

Really?

Watching a plays only version of the MNC game getting excited about football coming back.

I can't wait to see how Karlos does in the lead RB position. I expect amazing things. Take some attention away from Genius Winston.

Did you see the "Film Room" version of the game ESPN broadcast live? They used mostly wide angles and had coaches commenting on it the whole time. Best TV presentation of a football game I've ever seen. Very little of the color commentary, banter, and mostly useless discussion of stats/trends that aren't directly related to the game at hand. Even Matt Millen has some very insightful things to say. I guess he's actually smart when he's given time to think about things and isn't asked to just spit out commentary as quickly as possible.

It's right here if you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Js6gMlc-U

Since it shows a lot of the field at once, you can see how Auburn's secondary was all over FSU's receivers. They were even occasionally beating the FSU receivers to the end of their routes. It's a pretty clear indication that Craig had figured out FSU's play-calls and was reading them to get an advantage. You can't really blame him. If anything you need to blame Jimbo for thinking that Craig wouldn't use his knowledge of FSU's playbook to help Auburn win. As soon as the towels came out in the 2nd half, Auburn's secondary reverted to their normal (high quality but not psychic) ability.

Guess I missed putting in conference picks earlier. Full-time work is distracting.

AAC: UCF

ACC: FSU
Atlantic: FSU
Coastal: Miami

Big 12: Oklahoma

B1G: MSU
East: MSU
West: Wisconsin

PAC12: Stanford
North: Stanford
South: ASU

SEC: Alabama
East: USCe
West: Alabama

PLAYOFF:
FSU > MSU
Alabama > Oklahoma

CHAMP:
FSU

Enfinit

I literally have no idea what that means. I do know that it is a head-to-head points based league with a snake draft.
In standard scoring leagues, players gets points primarily based on rushing/passing yardage and TD's.

However, PPR means "points-per-reception," meaning that a player on your team who catches a pass during a game gets an extra point per pass they catch, on top of the usual yardage.

Depending on your league scoring (which you can usually find out by looking at the league settings), it can change your player strategies immensely.

For example, in standard scoring leagues, you want to prioritize getting players that get into the endzone. Guys that rush for TD's. In PPR leagues, you want to prioritize guys that catch a lot of passes. Take a guy like Alfred Morris, who's used primarily in Washington's redzone rushing game. He's the go-to guy when they're in the redzone. He's likely a first/second-round pick in a league who uses standard scoring. However, he doesn't catch a lot of passes. He's a terrible PPR player, so he'll likely fall to the third or fourth round in PPR-league drafts.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Did they try to say he was "run off" as well?

Details aren't as available for him but the gist of it is that they were arguing that since he was a walk on he should be able to do anything he wants, since Tech "didn't invest a single penny in him." Even aside from the fact that transfer rules speak only about participation when determining eligibility, and not financial status, thus making whether or not he was a walk on a moot point from the beginning, I guess this means that they think travel, lodging, meals, equipment, and medical care for 2013 were all free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom