• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got wrangled into a fantasy football league on ESPN and I've never done it before. I literally have no idea what I'm doing other than having a pretty thorough understanding of the game of football. Ironically, though,I don't think that'll help.

Enfinit

I got wrangled into a fantasy football league on ESPN and I've never done it before. I literally have no idea what I'm doing other than having a pretty thorough understanding of the game of football. Ironically, though,I don't think that'll help.
Is it a PPR league or standard? Because that nearly makes it a completely different game.

andycapps

I did one last year with some coworkers and did okay in it. The funny thing is that the people that didn't care about their draft and let the computer pick for them ended up with better picks than most of us. You have to think in terms of "Is this QB going to get me a lot of fantasy points?" vs "Is he going to win games for his team?" The latter is unimportant in fantasy football. The only thing you care about is points. So you have to look at how your league calculates points, and see how the prospects stack up against that. I can tell you that unless you're first pick, Adrian Peterson is probably off the table.

Honestly, it's a fucking waste of time. But, it does make me watch the NFL more because you're interested how my players are doing. Which is a good or bad thing depending on how you like pro ball.

:jnc @ Desmond

lol-desmond.png

andycapps

David Pollack really thinks the B1G will get 2 playoff teams?

CFB playoff will have 6 teams?

David Greene is going to be hosting the weekly film review show with coaches on the SEC network. Gene Chizik joined the network as well today in some capacity as an analyst on Mondays and Tuesdays, I believe.

andycapps

Kills our depth. If any of our starting OTs get hurt, we're up shit creek. Can't blame him, though. He was getting passed on the depth chart and wants to start.

That's rough. But if he feels like he deserves to start, hard to fault him if he got passed as a junior, and he was suspended for the Georgia game.

They're hanging a giant Spurrier banner on the stadium today. It looks decent enough, but I wish they'd gone with this idea:

Oh how I wish they'd gone with that banner instead.

Jared Lorenzen article? Yes.
Sad article actually.

JARED LORENZEN AND I are in love with the same woman. Her name is Little Debbie, and she makes delicious snack cakes. We're not the only ones who love her. Nick Saban has two Oatmeal Creme Pies every morning for breakfast. I'm more of a Nutty Bars man myself. "They're all right," Lorenzen says. "But I'll kill a Fudge Round."

We bond over clothes from Casual Male XL. It's the only place we can walk into and find stuff that fits. I wear a 6X shirt. Lorenzen is a 4XT -- T for tall, because he's 6-foot-4. He says he's usually a 3X. That's a classic big-guy line -- This size is just temporary. "My pants are a 54, but that's because my thighs are so damn big," he says. "I have to cinch my belt way down or my pants fall off."

Still, most colleges were just interested in him for his body. Ohio State recruited him as a defensive end. Purdue saw him as an offensive lineman. "I'd rather watch grass grow than watch Big Ten football," he says.

That last quote, woo boy!

Draxal

Yeah. Last year I started with "NCAA creates new definition of slap on the wrist" fire the Manziel first half suspension.

That BIG10 quote might do it, but there are a lot of Penn state and tOSU alumni around here.

McMurphy from Espn is asking coaches to say describe their team with one word. See Sumlin's answer here.

I think Rich has the best though.

Alabama’s Nick Saban: Untested
Arkansas’ Bret Bielema: Motivated
Auburn’s Gus Malzahn: Experienced
Florida’s Will Muschamp: Hungry
Georgia’s Mark Richt: Wow
Kentucky’s Mark Stoops: Improved
LSU’s Les Miles: Unknown
Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen: Hungry
Missouri’s Gary Pinkel: Confident
Ole Miss’ Hugh Freeze: Relentless
South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier: Decent
Tennessee’s Butch Jones: Committed
Texas A&M’s Kevin Sumlin: Eager
Vanderbilt’s Derek Mason: Audacious

B1G version here.

Illinois’ Tim Beckman: Family
Indiana’s Kevin Wilson: Cusp
Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz: Developmental
Maryland’s Randy Edsall: Hungry
Michigan’s Brady Hoke: Together
Michigan State’s Mark Dantonio: Committed
Minnesota’s Jerry Kill: Hungry
Nebraska’s Bo Pelini: Exciting
Northwestern’s Pat Fitzgerald: Focused
Ohio State’s Urban Meyer: Fast
Penn State’s James Franklin: Perseverance
Purdue’s Darrell Hazell: Hungry
Rutgers’ Kyle Flood: Hungry
Wisconsin’s Gary Andersen: Youthful

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wow, someone should really feed ask those football players.

Was just thinking: "wow, there's a lot of starving players out there. I thought the NCAA softened on their anti-food stance, letting teams feed their players as much as they want. Guess not. Way to go NCAA /s"

Subitai

I literally have no idea what that means. I do know that it is a head-to-head points based league with a snake draft.
When is your draft? It shouldn't be before rosters are set.

How experienced is everyone you're playing with?

How much money is on the line?

If you feel more strongly about a rookie thanks to you CFB knowledge, don't be afraid to over draft them.

Also, the ESPN fantasy podcasts are helpful cause they always tell you what percentage of leagues players are available.

Wait, do you even what serious help from us?

Draxal

ACC (feeding their players well)

Boston College’s Steve Addazio: Young
Clemson’s Dabo Swinney: Experienced
Duke’s David Cutcliffe: Veteran
Florida State’s Jimbo Fisher: Habits
Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson: Young
Louisville’s Bobby Petrino: Unknown
Miami’s Al Golden: Renewed
NC State’s Dave Doeren: Redemption
North Carolina’s Larry Fedora: Ravenous
Pitt’s Paul Chryst: Young
Syracuse’s Scott Shafer: Hard-nosed
Virginia’s Mike London: Experienced
Virginia Tech’s Frank Beamer: Developing
Wake Forest’s Dave Clawson: New
Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly: Athletic

Big 12 (Working hard)
Baylor’s Art Briles: Mad
Iowa State’s Paul Rhoads: Hungry
Kansas’ Charlie Weis: Quiet confidence
Kansas State’s Bill Snyder: Valued
Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops: Hard working
Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy: Youthful
TCU’s Gary Patterson: Unknown
Texas’ Charlie Strong: Hard work
Texas Tech’s Kliff Kingsbury: Improved
UCF's George O'Leary: Invisible
West Virginia’s Dana Holgorsen: Experienced

Pac 12
Arizona’s Rich Rodriguez: Hungry
Arizona State’s Todd Graham: Character
Cal’s Sonny Dykes: Hungry
Colorado’s Mike MacIntryre: More confident
Oregon’s Mark Helfrich: Redemption
Oregon State’s Mike Riley: Leadership
Stanford’s David Shaw: Underappreciated
UCLA’s Jim Mora: Determined
USC’s Steve Sarkisian: Tough
Utah’s Kyle Whittingham: Warriors
Washington’s Chris Petersen: Unknown
Washington State’s Mike Leach: Improving

As a general rule Joe Wickline is a guy I would give the benefit of the doubt to with regard to OL.

Oh yeah I don't get the impression Wickline is getting criticized for letting Rami Hammad walk away. One guy who doesn't buy in can effect the entire unit, so it was best for him to part ways.

ACC (feeding their players well)

Boston College’s Steve Addazio: Young
Clemson’s Dabo Swinney: Experienced
Duke’s David Cutcliffe: Veteran
Florida State’s Jimbo Fisher: Habits
Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson: Young
Louisville’s Bobby Petrino: Unknown
Miami’s Al Golden: Renewed
NC State’s Dave Doeren: Redemption
North Carolina’s Larry Fedora: Ravenous
Pitt’s Paul Chryst: Young
Syracuse’s Scott Shafer: Hard-nosed
Virginia’s Mike London: Experienced
Virginia Tech’s Frank Beamer: Developing
Wake Forest’s Dave Clawson: New
Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly: Athletic

Big 12 (Working hard)
Baylor’s Art Briles: Mad
Iowa State’s Paul Rhoads: Hungry
Kansas’ Charlie Weis: Quiet confidence
Kansas State’s Bill Snyder: Valued
Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops: Hard working
Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy: Youthful
TCU’s Gary Patterson: Unknown
Texas’ Charlie Strong: Hard work
Texas Tech’s Kliff Kingsbury: Improved
West Virginia’s Dana Holgorsen: Experienced

Pac 12
Arizona’s Rich Rodriguez: Hungry
Arizona State’s Todd Graham: Character
Cal’s Sonny Dykes: Hungry
Colorado’s Mike MacIntryre: More confident
Oregon’s Mark Helfrich: Redemption
Oregon State’s Mike Riley: Leadership
Stanford’s David Shaw: Underappreciated
UCLA’s Jim Mora: Determined
USC’s Steve Sarkisian: Tough
Utah’s Kyle Whittingham: Warriors
Washington’s Chris Petersen: Unknown
Washington State’s Mike Leach: Improving

Some coaches don't understand the concept of one word answers.

Edit: C'mon Charlie Weis..... you should have just gone with "hungry"

When is your draft? It shouldn't be before rosters are set.

How experienced is everyone you're playing with?

How much money is on the line?

If you feel more strongly about a rookie thanks to you CFB knowledge, don't be afraid to over draft them.

Also, the ESPN fantasy podcasts are helpful cause they always tell you what percentage of leagues players are available.

Wait, do you even what serious help from us?

1) Don't know experience level, it's my cousin-in-law's (though my cousin is more like a sister since she lived with us) family and they had an open spot so he asked me.

2) Just bragging rights

3) I understand the concepts of fantasy football but I would sure as hell love to win especially since I've never done it before. The amount of salt would be glorious.

My team name is Tebow's CFL Career

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom