• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Saban, Miles, and Stoops are in a league of their own. Spurrier would be too if it didn't take so long to get SCar out of the basement.

I'd almost leave Miles out of being mentioned. 3-14 before LSU, at a marginal Okie State program, then 37-19 at a LSU team that Saban built up.

Saban, before Alabama, was 22-23. Of that, I believe he was 18-9 at LSU, making him 4-14 back with MSU/Toledo/Kent State. But 18-9 and 28-12 at LSU/Alabama, where both were not very good when he arrived (though, admittedly, both have great recruiting bases and having traditional prestige).

Oklahoma has the same prestige and recruiting base, but I remember them going through a rough decade or 2 pre-Stoops.

Kind of odd to see Urban not have nearly as many top 25 games, but he's got a good record, and besides OSUn, he helped build the teams up (Florida's coming off of Ron MF'ing Zook).

Draconian

In other bizarre news, the UCF vs Penn St game in Dublin, Ireland may be canceled due to a volcano.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/08/20/penn-state-ucf-ireland-game-volcano

You see, this is the kind of stuff that makes me despise modern football. Back in my day, we played in these kinds of conditions all the time. I understand that they want to protect the players and prevent injuries, but this is the kind of crap that sucks all of the enjoyment out of football right now for me.

Honestly if you're above .500 in that, you're probably doing alright.

So out of the best 60 odd schools in the country, only half a dozen coaches have winning records against top 25 schools.

Do this mean that the majority of these schools are overrated? Or is it that a team will have a good two to three year spurt followed by years of being shit?

Lonestar

I'll go ahead and throw together my conference picks:

ACC: FSU
Atlantic: FSU
coastal: Virginia

Big 12: Baylor

B1G: MSUn
East: MSUn
West: Nebraska

PAC12: USCw
North: Stanford
South: USCw

SEC: Alabama
East: Georgia
West: Alabama

PLAYOFF:
FSU
Alabama
USCw
MSUn

CHAMP:
Alabama beating FSU

Subitai

UCF gets a home and home after all?
You see, this is the kind of stuff that makes me despise modern football. Back in my day, we played in these kinds of conditions all the time. I understand that they want to protect the players and prevent injuries, but this is the kind of crap that sucks all of the enjoyment out of football right now for me.
Huh? I thought this is because of dust in the atmosphere grounding passenger jets in the region.

Lonestar

So out of the best 60 odd schools in the country, only half a dozen coaches have winning records against top 25 schools.

Do this mean that the majority of these schools are overrated? Or is it that a team will have a good two to three year spurt followed by years of being shit?

Well, top 25 teams facing against top 25 teams, will have a 50% balance of Wins and Losses. Now, chunks of the teams on the list are cellar dwellers, and really, only 5-15 teams on the list are "perennial" top 25 teams, while the rest take on a random quality (one year, Michigan's a good team, the next they are getting their ass handed to them).

Also, on your list, you messed up the SEC, and put Alabama in the East to play against the West's LSU. Both teams are in the west.

Sotha_Sil

I'd almost leave Miles out of being mentioned. 3-14 before LSU, at a marginal Okie State program, then 37-19 at a LSU team that Saban built up.

Saban left 9 years ago man. And Okie St was a disaster before Miles, he definitely laid some groundwork for Gundy to build on.

Lonestar

He's done a nice job of carrying on the quality of football, unlike that miserable Larry Coker feller.

It's why I have high hopes for the guy following Saban's footsteps, whenever he decides to leave. Find an ok coach, and ride it for a decade!

Go Citronauts

CTDJUHw.jpg

This may have already been answered, but which player is that again?

I dont get the joke here, his name is Maurice Clarrett.

Well, top 25 teams facing against top 25 teams, will have a 50% balance of Wins and Losses. Now, chunks of the teams on the list are cellar dwellers, and really, only 5-15 teams on the list are "perennial" top 25 teams, while the rest take on a random quality (one year, Michigan's a good team, the next they are getting their ass handed to them).

Also, on your list, you messed up the SEC, and put Alabama in the East to play against the West's LSU. Both teams are in the west.

well even if there are 5-15 perennial top 25 teams, there are only like 5 that have a winning percentage.

So its sort of saying that for 10 or so top 25 teams, its ok for the coach to not have a winning record against other top 25 teams.

The attitude is like "You might play another top 25 team two times a year, but dont worry if you lose them, just win the rest, agianst teams you should beat anyway and youll be ok".

Kinda like they have accepted defeat against the top 5 teams before they have played them. If you know what I mean.

ACC: FSU
Atlantic: FSU
coastal: UNC

Big 12: Oklahoma

B1G: MSU
East: MSU
West: Wisconsin

PAC12: Stanford
South: USC

SEC: Alabama
East: Alabama
West: South Carolina

PLAYOFF:
FSU
Alabama
Oklahoma
MSU

CHAMP:
Alabama beating FSU

Ganhyun

My preseason predictions:

AAC: ECU

ACC: Florida State
Atlantic: Florida State
coastal: VA Tech

Big 12: Oklahoma

B1G: MSU
East: MSU

PAC12: Stanford
South: ASU

SEC: Georgia
East: Georgia
West: LSU

PLAYOFF:
Georgia
Stanford
Florida State
Alabama

CHAMP:
Georgia

Just like the conquering 'Noles, I'm back (I can hear the who is this guy? remarks already...)! Nonetheless.

BkP8CW8CYAEIgh2.jpg:medium

Florida St going to be the first team since their '99 team to run table and go wire to wire! Already prepping for the Aug 30 beatdown of Okay State and then a laughable schedule of mediocrity only matched by Ohio State, who even without Miller will roll along until East Lansing and get blown out by the first real team they face. Really looking forward to the "final four" and I'm hoping FSU repeats against an SEC team, preferably Alabama.

Conference pick -

ACC - FSU : Atlantic- FSU ; Coastal - UNC!

SEC - Alabama : West - Alabama ; East - South Carolina

B1G Joke - Michigan State : West - Michigan State ; East - Wisconsin

Big12 - Oklahoma : Oklahoma vs Kansas St.

Pac12 - UCLA : North - Stanford ; South - UCLA

Playoff:
FSU, Alabama, UCLA, Oklahoma

FSU > Alabama

Pretty excited this year as this is the first time i'll be participating in the weekly pick em.. always wanted to but kept forgetting.

PS. Fiance is moving on September 6th and I've given her some heads up on what she's about to descend upon with the intro of CFB and NFL, not to mention my cycling obsession. Any tips for football viewing so she doesn't become completely disgusted with me by October? I mean, we're looking at Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I feel like I have to cut my losses and pick game of the days, if that...

Sotha_Sil

Might as well join in on the predictions:

AAC
Champion: Houston

ACC
Atlantic: Florida State
Coastal: VaTech
Champion: Florida State

Big 12
Champion: Oklahoma

B1G
East: Michigan St
Champion: Michigan St

PAC-12
North: Oregon
South: UCLA
Champion: Oregon

SEC
East: South Carolina
West: LSU
Champion: LSU

PLAYOFF:
1. FSU
2. Oklahoma
3. Michigan St
4. LSU

CHAMP: FSU

Lonestar

Just like the conquering 'Noles, I'm back (I can hear the who is this guy? remarks already...)! Nonetheless.

BkP8CW8CYAEIgh2.jpg:medium

Florida St going to be the first team since their '99 team to run table and go wire to wire! Already prepping for the Aug 30 beatdown of Okay State and then a laughable schedule of mediocrity only matched by Ohio State, who even without Miller will roll along until East Lansing and get blown out by the first real team they face. Really looking forward to the "final four" and I'm hoping FSU repeats against an SEC team, preferably Alabama.

Conference pick -

ACC - FSU : Atlantic- FSU ; Coastal - UNC!

SEC - Alabama : West - Alabama ; East - South Carolina

B1G Joke - Michigan State : West - Michigan State ; East - Wisconsin

Big12 - Oklahoma : Oklahoma vs Kansas St.

Pac12 - UCLA : North - Stanford ; South - UCLA

Playoff:
FSU, Alabama, UCLA, Oklahoma

FSU > Alabama

Pretty excited this year as this is the first time i'll be participating in the weekly pick em.. always wanted to but kept forgetting.

PS. Fiance is moving on September 6th and I've given her some heads up on what she's about to descend upon with the intro of CFB and NFL, not to mention my cycling obsession. Any tips for football viewing so she doesn't become completely disgusted with me by October? I mean, we're looking at Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I feel like I have to cut my losses and pick game of the days, if that...

Hey LonestarSMT, where ya been all these years?!?!? Don't tell me it's a coincidence, and not coming back due to a front runner :p

But seriously, hope things are well, though it sounds like they already are.

Alabama would have beaten FSU
if they only let McCarron throw 15 passes, that way he can avoid throwing 3-5 INT's

Enfinit

Since all the cool kids are doing it, here's my conference predictions:

AAC: Cincy

C-USA: Marshall
East - Marshall
West - Rice

ACC: Florida State
Atlantic - Florida State
Coastal - Duke

B1G: Michigan State
East - Michigan State
West - Iowa (SLEEPER PICK OF THE SEASONNNNN)

Big 12: Baylor

PAC-12: UCLA
North - Oregon
South - UCLA

SECSECSEC: SOUTH CAROLINA AHHHHHHYEAH
East - South Carolina
West - Alabama

Playoff:
1. Florida State
2. South Carolina
3. UCLA
4. Michigan State

RETAINING CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, JAMEIS WINSTON AND HIS FIGHTING NOLES

go noles

all aboard the cocks hype train as well

I'm not usually concerned about heights, but goddamn is Ohio Stadium steep as hell.

Most definitely. Climbing to the top of C-Deck is a pretty weird feeling, but the view is worth it.

But if you want something truly scary about Ohio Stadium, nothing was more terrifying than the old South Stands at the Shoe.

1996_football_vs_rice.jpg

You know those shitty removable stands at high school football fields and gyms? The ones that you always have to worry about little kids falling through? Pretty much the same thing. When the crowd got amped up, these things creaked like crazy. It was horrifying.

Most definitely. Climbing to the top of C-Deck is a pretty weird feeling, but the view is worth it.

But if you want something truly scary about Ohio Stadium, nothing was more terrifying than the old South Stands at the Shoe.

1996_football_vs_rice.jpg

You know those shitty removable stands at high school football fields and gyms? The ones that you always have to worry about little kids falling through? Pretty much the same thing. When the crowd got amped up, these things creaked like crazy. It was horrifying.

Shit when youre under them still today and people are jumping its scary.

Lonestar

See some of that, lead me to "you're tearing me apart"

I now wonder if this was what Joe Paterno's last days inside his house were like.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
See some of that, lead me to "you're tearing me apart"

I now wonder if this was what Joe Paterno's last days inside his house were like.
Oh, god. :jnc

I actually watched The Room a couple of weeks ago (the whole thing is on youtube) after reading a book on its production: The Disaster Artist. Highly, highly recommend that book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom